ECT As many people doubt the scripture regarding speaking in tongues:

john w

Hall of Fame
Barn gets puffed up when he's made acting Sheriff, or if a chick "musses" his hair.

He's high spirited, unlike you, who is sensitive. You got that sensitive spirit from watchin' too many Alan Alda pictures. Can you take off on Alan Alda?

oatmeal

1 Corinthians 12:8 KJV john w has these gifts - :patrol:

Every Christian has the ability to use all nine of the manifestations.

I Corinthians 12:7-11

It is impossible that john has only two of those abilities, he, like all Christians has the ability to use all nine.

Ability, not know how or wisdom to do so.

That comes from learning scripture

oatmeal

How do you know they're misusing/abusing the alleged gifts? If you met with them, and they were open to at least listening to correction, what would you tell them they're doing wrong?

How do I know?

I was taught and read and learned I Corinthians 12-14

When you know how God wants something done, it is simple to see the misuse and abuse.

The ones I have the opportunity to teach, I have and would, but I do not hang around them. Others who have witnessed their stupid antics and shy away from speaking in tongues because the stupid and obscene antics scared them off, I have shared scripture with.

One person such person who was dubious of speaking in tongues went to one of our fellowships and saw how God would have speaking in tongues with interpretation and prophecy done, said it was beautiful.

Indeed it is supposed to beautiful and loving and decent and in order. I Corinthians 12-14

Would I go to one of those hideous meetings where it is abused? Do you think they would listen? or maybe even one or two might listen?

Do all Christians you speak to do what scriptures say they should do?

oatmeal

Oh. That's a stunner. Please teach me/us...Please?

You missed it. Members of the boc, in contrast to lost people, such as yourself, have power, authority.

Ssssssssssssss.....hisses oatmush....

It's the Lord Jesus Christ, Christ rejector.

In the meantime, you should get saved. Then, I will recognize you.

So there.

john you have so, so much to learn, I would have to give much thought to where to start with you.

But first you would have to learn James 1:21 and learn how to apply it in your life.

That would might be the toughest task you have ever taken on so far in your life.

Word based mystic

It is impossible that john has only two of those abilities, he, like all Christians has the ability to use all nine.

exactly ;)

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

These gifts are manifestations of Christ Himself through His saints.

While men can have some faith and wisdom etc., they can not do the miraculous through learning scripture.

Nor can they be gifted in more than the Lord wills--

1Co 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
1Co 12:5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
1Co 12:6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

LA

oatmeal

These gifts are manifestations of Christ Himself through His saints.

While men can have some faith and wisdom etc., they can not do the miraculous through learning scripture.

Nor can they be gifted in more than the Lord wills--

1Co 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
1Co 12:5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
1Co 12:6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

LA

I Corinthians 12:7-11 is the core text here.

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

First of all, the word severally is translated from the Greek word idios, which means his own, their own, etc.

of the scores of times this word idios is found in scripture translated his own, etc., the KJV translates it private once and severally once.

Private makes sense but his own would make better sense. II Peter 1:20 is that verse.

The word severally is clearly the elephant in the room.

Why in this place only is idios translated severally? It should not be, it should be "his own"

Thus, "dividing to every man his own as he wills"

the other problem with understanding this verse is that most seem to think that "he" is referring to God.

It is not, it is referring to the man.

It is up to the man to believe to use the nine ways of manifesting the gift of holy spirit.

After all the manifestation is given to every man EVERY MAN for profit withal.

Utilizing the nine is always profitable.

Verses 8-10 is referring to the profit of the manifestations, the profit of it also being the description of the manifestations.

Wisdom is profitable

Knowledge is profitable

Faith, or rather believing is profitable (referring to believing what was learned by receiving the word of knowledge, word of wisdom and discerning of spirits)

Gifts of healings is profitable

Working of miracles is profitable

Prophecy is profitable

Discerning of spirits is profitable

Tongues is profitable

the interpretation of tongues is profitable.

All people who have receieve the gift of eternal life/salvation/holy spirit have the ability to profit in those nine ways.

However, for the profits to be received, the believer must learn from scripture what scripture teaches of how to manifest those nine functions available to all believers

Victor Paul Wierwille is the one who wrote the book on "receiving the holy spirit today" His book takes a very detailed look at this subject.

Anyone who has not read it, is missing a treasure trove of clear, accurate teaching on this subject.

If all else fails, read the instructions.

musterion

One person such person who was dubious of speaking in tongues went to one of our fellowships and saw how God would have speaking in tongues with interpretation and prophecy done, said it was beautiful.

What language did they hear miraculously spoken?

OCTOBER23

Tongues are just different languages that the other people easily UNDERSTOOD

in Acts 2.

And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Cross Reference

Tongues are just different languages that the other people easily UNDERSTOOD.

So you believe you know, you are absolutely sure, the miracle could not have been in the hearing of them?

I know it to be a fact that God will have it anyway He likes whether or not we believe He can function the way we believe for it.

I have a friend who was not educated in languages who spoke in tongues, needing interpretation, in a Mandarin Chinese dialect. The interpretation was from someone who definitely could not speak Mandarin Chinese, a message for the church. . .And an other friend who spoke what seemed to be an American Indian dialect that an unbelieving German neither of us knew, understood to be specifically for him. He wound up at the alter in quick time.