toldailytopic: What can be done to help prevent the epidemic of school shootings?

genuineoriginal

Last time I checked we were talking about preventing school shootings. I noted the problems with going with an arms proliferation on school campuses, from increased dangers and expenses to the needlessness of that dramatic a response when there are better ideas to accomplish the same result without either problem.

That's the picture, large and small.

No. We've never used that in our history. Not one time has that been a factor in the entirety of our national life. Never. Not even when we had a smaller and less well armed machine on leash.

We have the means for peaceful dissent and change in this country and it's worked for over two hundred years. I'm sure people thought the same thing you do now about the government during the Great Depression. FDR probably scared some people to death. But it didn't happen. And it isn't going to.

Else, you're looking for the conspiracy theory/militia resistance/red dawn thread. This is about protecting school children from a different kind of crazy.
Then find out what makes that kind of crazy.
List of 66 School Violence involving SSRI drugs

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
(Barbarian shows data confirming correlation between rejection of evolution and violence)

If you believe that nonsense

It's documented data. If you consider reality to be "nonsense", that's kind of a revelation in itself, isn't it?

perhaps you should read a book entitled "From Darwin to Hitler."

Ironically, Darwin, in "The Descent of Man" rejected the notion of eugenics and removing the supposedly unfit. And later Darwinians, such as Punnett and Morgan showed that the eugenic and Nazi ideas of racial purity were not only morally repugnant, but scientifically unsupportable.

Anyone who supposes the Nazis followed Darwinian principles is extremely resistant to reality.

That book is a real eye opener.

I think you've already opened some eyes hereabout. But perhaps not the way you hoped.

noguru

(Barbarian shows data confirming correlation between rejection of evolution and violence)

It's documented data. If you consider reality to be "nonsense", that's kind of a revelation in itself, isn't it?

Ironically, Darwin, in "The Descent of Man" rejected the notion of eugenics and removing the supposedly unfit. And later Darwinians, such as Punnett and Morgan showed that the eugenic and Nazi ideas of racial purity were not only morally repugnant, but scientifically unsupportable.

Anyone who supposes the Nazis followed Darwinian principles is extremely resistant to reality.

I think you've already opened some eyes hereabout. But perhaps not the way you hoped.

Darwin openly opposed the Capt. of the Beagle for the exact reason that the Capt. was supportive of slavery. Anyone who thinks that Darwin was more racist than the powers that existed around him is an idiot and knows nothing about real history. I think that GO is just another dupe who believes anything he/she is told by his/her peers that claim to be Christian.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Then find out what makes that kind of crazy.
List of 66 School Violence involving SSRI drugs
Paranoia and ignoring history makes that kind of crazy, gen. It makes for speculation that and rumor that takes on the appearance of fact to those who lack them or whose native mistrust and disease is easily whipped into a frenzy that rests on theories fashioned from smoke.

No, you need to decide what issue you're going to address. If it's the safety of our children I've given you an answer to discuss. If you want to turn it into a discussion about some impending fantasy that has yet, in the full history of our nation, materialized, then I've answered on that point as well. If you now want to move to another topic, regarding drug use and diagnosis/treatment of mental illness, then that's another thread, isn't it.

Merry Christmas in any event. :cheers:

Christ's Word

Last time I checked we were talking about preventing school shootings. I noted the problems with going with an arms proliferation on school campuses,

More evidence you are a complete idiot. The problem is not arms proliferation on school campuses.

The problem is that a mother with a mentally ill son, that she was asking the state to take control of and lock up in a mental health facility, just happened to forget to lock up her AR-15, her pistols, and her ammunition. He found out about it and got angry and killed her and a lot of other innocent people with her guns. And yes, her friends were the principal of the school and the school psychologist that were advising her to have him locked up.

This is why amateurs like you should zip it. You can't even properly define the problem much less come up with a workable solution.

Any mother who would rather lock up her mentally ill son than lock up her guns and ammo is headed for epic failure, Sandy Hook style.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
More evidence you are a complete idiot.
And yet you keep talking to me. :chuckle:

The problem is not arms proliferation on school campuses.
It's a shame you don't bother to read the quote you're responding to, because if you had read it you'd realize that I literally said, "Last time I checked we were talking about preventing school shootings."

Reading. It's fundamental.

The problem is that a mother with a mentally ill son, that she was asking the state to take control of and lock up in a mental health facility, just happened to forget to lock up her AR-15, her pistols, and her ammunition.
No, the problem is that the kid in question got into a high school and killed twenty six people. What you've just gone through is the tragedy that preceded it. We can't fix what went wrong there. The mother didn't see it coming soon enough and/or dropped the ball in relation to her weapons. What we can do is lower the odds of the next kid or kids being successful. I'd discuss that but you aren't interested and that's not why you're here.

This is why amateurs like you should zip it.
Look, you're rabidly anti me. I get it. Anyone who reads you gets that. You've been tossed a couple of times for not being able to control yourself in that particular. So do yourself and that "expert husband voice" in your head a favor and talk to other people if you can't actually answer on points. You'll just give yourself an aneurysm.

You can't even properly define the problem much less come up with a workable solution.
I'd be offended if I thought you'd actually read what I wrote and your opinion was steeped in anything but bile. But given you aren't even appreciably familiar with the quotes you use as a launching point for your next spastic tirade...it's hard to take offense.

Any mother who would rather lock up her mentally ill son than lock up her guns and ammo is headed for epic failure, Sandy Hook style.
Impressive. By the time the full narrative comes out you're going to have really known something, I'm sure. :rolleyes: The "Sandy Hook style" ending was really something. And by really something I mean something I can't comment on because I enjoy my under one ban status.

On the plus side, at least this time you aren't blaming the children. At least not yet.

Dena

Even though it's audacious for ant's like us to say it. "We" as a Nation need to put JESUS CHRIST back into all schools where HE belongs!

And what do you propose we do with all the non-Christian children? Christians aren't the only ones who pay taxes.

I don't understand this argument in the first place. There are plenty of non-Christians and even atheists all around the world who manage not to murder anyone else. The kid who did the shooting was homeschooled. And as Christians, do you guys believe there is anywhere that God doesn't go?

genuineoriginal

Paranoia and ignoring history makes that kind of crazy, gen. It makes for speculation that and rumor that takes on the appearance of fact to those who lack them or whose native mistrust and disease is easily whipped into a frenzy that rests on theories fashioned from smoke.

No, you need to decide what issue you're going to address. If it's the safety of our children I've given you an answer to discuss. If you want to turn it into a discussion about some impending fantasy that has yet, in the full history of our nation, materialized, then I've answered on that point as well. If you now want to move to another topic, regarding drug use and diagnosis/treatment of mental illness, then that's another thread, isn't it.

Merry Christmas in any event. :cheers:
This thread is about "What can be done to help prevent the epidemic of school shootings?"
You have provided half of a solution, without looking into what is causing the school shootings. I don't mind armed guards in the schools as long as "we the people" are part of the armed guards instead of taking away our freedom to put it into the hands of the government.
I provided a link that suggests that the epidemic of the school shootings are tied to the treatment of mental illness with SSRI drugs, producing a mentally ill person with drug induced homocidal tendencies. If we want to stop the epidemic, we must have a real investigation into the causes of the epidemic, not more platitudes.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Very infrequently, a troubled person, for reasons we can only make vague inferences about, kills a large number of people an then himself.

We can't stop it. There is no way to predict who will do this, or when they will do it. But we can reduce the likelihood, and take steps to minimize the carnage when it happens.

There are firms headed by former FBI and other law enforcement professionals with experience in handling such events. They have developed various programs to increase security for schools.

Loss prevention is a rather technical field, and security is an even more technical subset of loss prevention. These men and women have the knowledge and experience to understand the hazards and to find the most effective controls.

And none of them thinks arming teachers will help. That alone should be a tip-off.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This thread is about "What can be done to help prevent the epidemic of school shootings?"
We agree. And my answer addresses that.

You have provided half of a solution, without looking into what is causing the school shootings.
Well, how do you go about "solving" a combination of mental issues and poor judgment. Because that's what you have at the root of this, a disturbed young man and a mother who kept guns around him.

I don't mind armed guards in the schools as long as "we the people" are part of the armed guards instead of taking away our freedom to put it into the hands of the government.
Except those police officers are our neighbors and not some Borg like extension of a collective mind. More particularly, we the people are our government and that's never so true and clear than it is at the local level.

I provided a link that suggests that the epidemic of the school shootings are tied to the treatment of mental illness with SSRI drugs, producing a mentally ill person with drug induced homocidal tendencies.
I don't have much time these days to peruse links and mostly use them to check the source and support offered by whoever is advancing a point under their authority. I do keep abreast of advances in science when I can and I don't know off hand of a serious, accredited and peer reviewed study that supports the notion, but I'll look at the link as soon as I have a moment (these are quick bursts between Jack exercises :D).

If we want to stop the epidemic, we must have a real investigation into the causes of the epidemic, not more platitudes.
Epidemic? Seems like, over the breadth of public schools and given the numbers of people we're talking about, people with impaired judgement centers on their best days, it's a sliver of a thing. If it weren't a deadly sliver it would be left alone, but I think I've offered a reasonable way to combat the sliver in the meantime.

noguru

Epidemic? Seems like, over the breadth of public schools and given the numbers of people we're talking about, people with impaired judgement centers on their best days, it's a sliver of a thing. If it weren't a deadly sliver it would be left alone, but I think I've offered a reasonable way to combat the sliver in the meantime.

This is accurate. If the shooter in Sandy Brook had been on the same par as the mentally ill male student at SUNY in Albany (who was under the impression that the government had inserted a microchip in his genitals) back in the late 90s. Who held a class there hostage with a rifle for several hours, until negotiators finally talked him out of the hostage situation. Then we might have only heard small snippets of it in the national news. Unfortunately for the people at Sandy Hook this 20 year old was much more motivated and was determined to cause as much loss of life as possible. I heard about the hostage incident back then only because I was working at City Hall in Albany and it was all over the local news.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This is accurate. If the shooter in Sandy Brook had been on the same par as the mentally ill male student at SUNY in Albany (who was under the impression that the government had inserted a microchip in his genitals) back in the late 90s. Who held a class there hostage with a rifle for several hours, until negotiators finally talked him out of the hostage situation. Then we might have only heard small snippets of it in the national news. Unfortunately for the people at Sandy Hook this 20 year old was much more motivated and was determined to cause as much loss of life as possible. I heard about the hostage incident back then only because I was working at City Hall in Albany and it was all over the local news.
The thing that disappoints me the most about all of this is how quickly and ruthlessly people on either side of the issue are rushing to make it the focal point of their larger agenda instead of focusing on the narrower thing we all agree could be and should be more readily and capably addressed.

People.

Charity

The thing that disappoints me the most about all of this is how quickly and ruthlessly people on either side of the issue are rushing to make it the focal point of their larger agenda instead of focusing on the narrower thing we all agree could be and should be more readily and capably addressed.

People.

School Is being Used to Traffic Medication tHAT WILL make everyones Job Easier...except the victom.
Promising A grade Genius Students; chemically Unbalanced; reported perfect in work performance with side effects. Utterly Dangerously insane.

The school is getting their desired resault. an should be made to be more responsible for the side effects.

Its more about why is schooling always envolved.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Gun control works, and is the answer.

Those who continue to resist it are as responsible for these deaths as is the shooter. As I have said, we can continue to expect this to continue until action is taken. Given the politics of our country, that could be a long long time. So just as with climate change, this is normal in America for the foreseeable future, particularly while the Republicans control congress.

Pathetic, you are truly pathetic.

If someone at the school close to the door had a gun- maybe those kids would be alive today - and im really pretty sure whoever shot my son in the head on the freeway wasn't using a legal one - and i sure as hell didnt kill him because i wish he had had one and maybe could have protected himself.

Christ's Word

And yet you keep talking to me. :chuckle:

Reading. It's fundamental.

No, the problem is that the kid in question got into a high school and killed twenty six people.

Only a totally clueless impotent blowhard would describe the murder of 20 innocent first graders and 6 adult staff at a grade school that goes from kindergarten to 4 grade, "the kid in question got into a high school and killed 26 people."

When you can't tell the difference between a grade school with dead first graders and a high school, you should just shut your retarded pie hole.

So Mrs. Delusional Nut Job, please explain to us WHICH HIGH SCHOOL these 26 people were killed at? You are a retard.

Actually retard, reading is recreational, the ability to think and communicate accurately is fundamental.

Unfortunately, you were not taught this at grade school or high school, not that you could discern the difference. Leave the problem solving to those that can still think and don't have your level of dementia.