toldailytopic: What can be done to help prevent the epidemic of school shootings?

noguru

The factor of sociopathy gets skirted in our politically correct atmosphere. Sociopaths tend to be above average in intelligence and often capable of the appearance of cooperation and charm.

Yes, and most of them are very sucessfull business people. Only a small percentage actually become violent enough to kill other people. And most of that has to do with how their parents treated them as children.

Wile E. Coyote

I agree with this statement. :up: This is why I don't trust aCW.

"I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked." Ezekiel 33:11
Furthermore, the one who takes pleasure in the punishment or death of the wicked will make the scriptures fit with his desire.

Again thanks TH! You helped me to enunciate why I don't trust aCW.

:first:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Gun control works, and is the answer.

Those who continue to resist it are as responsible for these deaths as is the shooter.

What a purely vile thing to say. You should be ashamed of yourself and apologize to all.

noguru

Rusha you are saying this because you didn't read one thing about him after being incarcerated, aren't you.
He made no excuses and wanted to be wiped from the face of the earth with no grave or funeral..

Your statement is illogical. He used a scientific idea to support his own lack of empathy for other people. That is an excuse. You might not want to admit that, but that is what it is.

I have met many an addict who does the same thing. They make no excuses for the harm they cause others, until that harm builds up into an insurmountable obstacle and keeps them trapped. Only when they chose release from the cycle do they end up being honest with themselves. Of course there is no reasoning that can excuse such behavior. So for you to claim he did it because of being taught evolution is really just you buying into his excuse.

If I am not mistaken did not Dahmer also claim that he had to be drunk in order to numb him self enough to commit those murders and the ensuing dismemberment, necrophilia and cannibalism? He aslo claimed to be a born again Christian once he was in prison. Perhaps he was just trying to gain favor with all those violent non sex offender criminals around him who are known to abuse sex offenders.

noguru

Furthermore, the one who takes pleasure in the punishment or death of the wicked will make the scriptures fit with his desire.

Again thanks TH! You helped me to enunciate why I don't trust aCW.

:first:

I completely agree with you. That is why I have to check myself when I hear things like how Dahmer was beaten to death in prison. Because my first response was to think "Yeah, he deserved that." Then I realize that is my own weakness shinning through. And at that moment I ask God for forgiveness.

SeraphimsCherub

Even though it's audacious for ant's like us to say it. "We" as a Nation need to put JESUS CHRIST back into all schools where HE belongs! As though "we" can really "put" (((HIM))) anywhere. More like it's (((HE))) who easily puts us whither soever HE (((WILL'S))). Like :duh:...Oh my gosh Seraphims...like you don't think we know this already?? hehehehe....

Blessings...
SC

Wile E. Coyote

I completely agree with you. That is why I have to check myself when I hear things like how Dahmer was beaten to death in prison. Because my first response was to think "Yeah, he deserved that." Then I realize that is my own weakness shinning through. And at that moment I ask God for forgiveness.
Amen brother! I too have to keep myself in check. Our God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked. :up:

Letsargue

Hi Paul,
YOu are using good verses I see! One of which is too hard for me to understand at this time, sigh. (Again as per usual for you? :)

You are right that mankind will and does add things in efforts to try to fix something. But I will have to think about that too, as to whether God doesn't understand such actions. King David went to sleep at night as an old man with an armed guard standing around his bed as he slept. Did God condemn that?

About David, NO! - That's not what that whole thing was about. That is just a shadow of the "Comforter", if I remember the Parable right. - David had a "Comforter", the same as Jesus did with Mary, who now is our "Comforter" sent from Jesus. >> John 14:18 KJV -----///--- That’s the Body of Christ, the Lord’s WIFE, - the “Comforter”, the "Spirit of Truth", the Lord’s "Body"!!

Paul – 121812

Last edited:

noguru

Amen brother! I too have to keep myself in check. Our God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked. :up:

Well I think that a case against the boldened part might be supported with some parts of the OT. But that does not mean that we as fallible humans have the right to follow suit.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
"We" as a Nation need to put JESUS CHRIST back into all schools where HE belongs!

He's there, already. My daughter was an officer in Fellowship of Christian Athletes. They met and prayed regularly in school.

Not that you need a club to do that. No one can stop you from praying or bringing in Bible, so long as you don't impose on others, or disrupt school work.

Sorry you missed Him. He's there for you, and everywhere else, if you're willing to seek Him.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
He's there, already. My daughter was an officer in Fellowship of Christian Athletes. They met and prayed regularly in school.

Not that you need a club to do that. No one can stop you from praying or bringing in Bible, so long as you don't impose on others, or disrupt school work.

Sorry you missed Him. He's there for you, and everywhere else, if you're willing to seek Him.

:up:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Rusha you are saying this because you didn't read one thing about him after being incarcerated, aren't you.
He made no excuses and wanted to be wiped from the face of the earth with no grave or funeral..

And that makes a difference how? Susan Atkins claimed to become a Christian prior to her death and wrote a book. As *changed* and full of regret as her book made her out to be, it didn't change what she did.

I do not listen or take instructions from monsters who commit atrocious crimes (even those who *claim* to have turned over a new leaf). IMO, their motives are without honor.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What would you throw out to make that training happen?
This is a silly statement! Every school in America is racing to figure out what sort of drills they need to run to be prepared if this were to happen in their school! The only question is, will the training involve somebody returning fire so that the shooter can not march safely through the school, or will it only involve a plan to try to not be among the people killed?

How much training do you think is necessary to have a person prepared to know when to use lethal force at the right time?
Not much! How long does it take to teach a person that lethal force is required as soon as a bad guy pulls a gun in the school?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This is a silly statement! Every school in America is racing to figure out what sort of drills they need to run to be prepared if this were to happen in their school! The only question is, will the training involve somebody returning fire so that the shooter can not march safely through the school, or will it only involve a plan to try to not be among the people killed?

Not much! How long does it take to teach a person that lethal force is required as soon as a bad guy pulls a gun in the school?
Hey Delmar. Quite a lot, as it turns out. In one of the threads I've gone over the problems with arming and training teachers.

Main reasons it's a bad idea:

1. Extensive and costly training in weapons and response using them in this sort of situation with no guarantee that the teachers (you'd need multiples to cover possible sick days, vacation, etc.) would be returning in the next year.

2. Go sprint a forty yarder before entering a target range with pop up targets, good and bad guys. Because that's roughly what will be happening to your hands before you get to your head.

3. You'd need to amend laws to allow for it and then you'd have to cover the teachers with special and expensive insurance.

4. You'd have distracted people carrying weapons around children. Imagine a teacher writing on the black board carrying. Imagine a teacher handing out tests, carrying. If the gun is locked away you have another problem. So you've likely just imported the weapons our guys are going to need to kill a few people and given them someone with divided attention.

I suggest a police presence and a couple of points of entry, subject to buzz ins. The police (minimum of one for smaller schools) would be present at a monitoring station, removed from the general student body and dedicated to one task, observing the entry points and camera sweeps of hallways. He would be armed, trained and vested. He would have a panic button to trigger an all rooms lock down.

He would be part of a rotation of officers who would resume their normal duties in the communities (which would benefit from the training as well) off school hours and months. You'd need additional coverage for brief periods in the morning and afternoon to protect the choke points of entry and exit. Not nearly as much additional expense or chance of unfortunate accident.

If that had been in place you wouldn't have had a Sandy Hook.

genuineoriginal

Do what actually works.

Arm the teachers and nurses.
Allow armed parents and grandparents to stand guard in voluntary shifts.
Train the teenagers in gun safety, and allow them to be part of a voluntary civil guard program.
All over Israel, guns became pervasive in the schools:

Teachers and kindergarten nurses now started to carry guns, schools were protected by parents (and often grandpas) guarding them in voluntary shifts. No school group went on a hike or trip without armed guards. The Police involved the citizens in a voluntary civil guard project “Mishmar Esrachi,” which even had its own sniper teams. The Army’s Youth Group program, “Gadna”, trained 15 to 16-year-old kids in gun safety and guard procedures and the older high-school boys got involved with the Mishmar Esrachi. During one noted incident, the “Herzliyah Bus massacre” (March ’78, hijacking of a bus, 37 dead, 76 wounded), these youngsters were involved in the overall security measures in which the whole area between North Tel Aviv and the resort town of Herzlyiah was blocked off, manning roadblocks with the police, guarding schools kindergartens, etc.​
Stop the reliance on a few armed police officers who are too far away to be effective.
Make defense a part of every day life.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Do what actually works.
I agree. But you don't want to create more problems, expense and danger than you need to and so my response.

Arm the teachers and nurses.
Allow armed parents and grandparents to stand guard in voluntary shifts.
Horrible idea for the reasons I set out. Moreover, it's unnecessary.

Train the teenagers in gun safety, and allow them to be part of a voluntary civil guard program.
I like mandated gun safety training for anyone who wants to own a gun. My grandfather gave me mine. He also fouled the ejector on my single shot rifle so that my first shot counted. He had contempt for people who carried shotguns and rifles with expanded firing capacity.

Stop the reliance on a few armed police officers who are too far away to be effective.
I agree about the distance part.

Make defense a part of every day life.
Sure. But we don't face what Israelis face and the need for that drastic a response just isn't present or needed to thwart the sort of idiots we've seen in these school killings.

oldhermit

Actually, there is a correlation between acceptance of evolution and violence...
wpid-Photo-Jul-22-2012-1201-AM.jpg

But it's a negative correlation. Societies that deny evolution tend to be more violent. Those that are most accepting of evolution tend to be more peaceful.

I'm guessing it's not really about evolution, but about education. Some states in the United States have abysmal education systems.

If you believe that nonsense perhaps you should read a book entitled "From Darwin to Hitler." That book is a real eye opener. Another one I would reccomend is "The Modern Mind" by Watson.

genuineoriginal

I agree. But you don't want to create more problems, expense and danger than you need to and so my response.

Horrible idea for the reasons I set out. Moreover, it's unnecessary.
You are not looking at the big picture.

I like mandated gun safety training for anyone who wants to own a gun. My grandfather gave me mine. He also fouled the ejector on my single shot rifle so that my first shot counted. He had contempt for people who carried shotguns and rifles with expanded firing capacity.

I agree about the distance part.

Sure. But we don't face what Israelis face and the need for that drastic a response just isn't present or needed to thwart the sort of idiots we've seen in these school killings.
A well armed citizenry is the only thing that can thwart the sort of fascist dictatorship that is coming on America.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You are not looking at the big picture.
Last time I checked we were talking about preventing school shootings. I noted the problems with going with an arms proliferation on school campuses, from increased dangers and expenses to the needlessness of that dramatic a response when there are better ideas to accomplish the same result without either problem.

That's the picture, large and small.

A well armed citizenry is the only thing that can thwart the sort of fascist dictatorship that is coming on America.
No. We've never used that in our history. Not one time has that been a factor in the entirety of our national life. Never. Not even when we had a smaller and less well armed machine on leash.

We have the means for peaceful dissent and change in this country and it's worked for over two hundred years. I'm sure people thought the same thing you do now about the government during the Great Depression. FDR probably scared some people to death. But it didn't happen. And it isn't going to.

Else, you're looking for the conspiracy theory/militia resistance/red dawn thread. This is about protecting school children from a different kind of crazy.