The Two Faces of the Sabbath

TweetyBird

lol...so do what thou wilt?

...tell that to the Israelites who thought they could build a golden calf to worship the One that brought them out of Egypt....

Tell it to yourself, because you are doing what is right in your own eyes when it comes to the Mosaic Law. Israel reaped the curses for doing that.

God's Truth

GT finds it too difficult to answer with a Yes or a No. May he overcome his fear of answering with a Yes or a No to what I asked.

He fears losing in a discussion, maybe. But that is not the issue. The issue is TRUTH. If he has the truth, what is there to fear?

I am not what you say I am.

You need to answer the question.

Tell us, did Jesus only go to the temple on the Sabbath? Yes or no.

Is the earthly temple still standing? Yes or no.

Do the scriptures say observing special days are worthless? Yes or no.

You are the one who needs to answer.

What are you afraid of?

clefty

NOT the pigs on earth, sister. Those made clean were let down from heaven and brought back to heaven after Peter refused to eat any of them.

Oh my...you too?

Why can't anybody let Peter himself answer the meaning of the vision? He did it twice...

"God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean” (Acts 10:28)

Later again:

Acts 11: 4 But Peter explained it to them in order from the beginning, saying: 5 “I was in the city of Joppa praying; and in a trance I saw a vision, an object descending like a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came to me. 6 When I observed it intently and considered, I saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 7 And I heard a voice saying to me, ‘Rise, Peter; kill and eat.’ 8 But I said, ‘Not so, Lord! For nothing common or unclean has at any time entered my mouth.’ 9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, ‘What God has cleansed you must not call common.’ 10 Now this was done three times, and all were drawn up again into heaven. 11 At that very moment, three men stood before the house where I was, having been sent to me from Caesarea. 12 Then the Spirit told me to go with them, doubting nothing. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered the man’s house. 13 And he told us how he had seen an angel standing in his house, who said to him, ‘Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon whose surname is Peter, 14 who will tell you words by which you and all your household will be saved.’ 15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning. 16 Then I remembered the word of the Lord, how He said, ‘John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ 17 If therefore God gave them the same gift as He gave us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could withstand God?”

18 When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, “Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life.”

Even others understood it...and not one added to it the meaning of eating Ham...

And they also understood the Gentile wished to join and be and do as they did...not come and add or change or teach a change...

True gratitude does that...wishes to please and obey one's true love...not change or rationalize or distort their True Love's desire...

God's Truth

Oh Yes. Just like answering with "Gen 1" when asked "Where is the chapter for the New Covenant?".

So, again:

Is it wrong for us His sheep to follow our Shepherd Who is the same yesterday and today and forever in His custom of being in church (or synagogue for the Jews) on Saturdays? Yes or No?

You do not follow Jesus by going to the temple or synagogue every day.

Samie

I am not what you say I am.
Good.

You need to answer the question. Yes, I will. So please answer mine.

Tell us, did Jesus only go to the temple on the Sabbath? Yes or no. No

Is the earthly temple still standing? Yes or no. The one in Jesus' time, No.

Do the scriptures say observing special days are worthless? Yes or no. No

You are the one who needs to answer. Already answered.

What are you afraid of? None.
See, I have answered you readily, in bold italics above.

Now your turn to answer me:

Is it wrong for us His sheep to follow our Shepherd Who is the same yesterday and today and forever in His custom of being in church (or synagogue for the Jews) on Saturdays? Yes or No?

God's Truth

Good.

You prove with your own answers that your question to me is deceitful.

God's Truth

Good.

The Bible does say observing special days is worthless.

Stop practicing deceit.

You cannot follow Jesus by going to the temple every day. You do not even copy him by going to a building called a temple every day.

Samie

The Bible does say observing special days is worthless.

Stop practicing deceit.

You cannot follow Jesus by going to the temple every day. You do not even copy him by going to a building called a temple every day.
Show the verse, brother. If there's none, then you're the one practising deceit.

Samie

I asked. GT refused to directly respond.

He asked. I responded directly.

I asked again. He still refused.

Seems not fair.

God's Truth

Show the verse, brother. If there's none, then you're the one practising deceit.

I have already given it and I will give it again.

Galatians 4:9 But now that you know God--or rather are known by God--how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable forces? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again?

Samie

Galatians 4:9 But now that you know God--or rather are known by God--how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable forces? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again?
That's eisegesis, brother. Nothing in the verse tells us what you say it says. And you accuse me of being deceitful?

Samie

Again, no, you are not imitating Jesus by going to church on Saturday.
That's only one simple way of emulating His example, brother. If you cannot emulate Him in one simply way how can we say we emulate Him in even greater ways? He that is faithful in less, is also faithful in much, remember?

But you still need to answer my question.

clefty

Galatians were Celts a proud and religiously stubborn people...and the weak and miserable forces were their former pagan beliefs...read the chapter in context...as if Paul would call the Yah's Laws weak and miserable forces...

You have to have kept something before you can turn back again to them...the Celts were coming into the knowledge of God's laws never having kept them...can't go back to them...but to their pagan heritage...sure...like dogs to their own vomit...

Please be more careful...

Last edited:

clefty

clefty:John affirms this when in revelations he saw in paradise "Here are those that keep the commandments" not of the Son but of the Father...and yes the testimony of the Son...

Tweetybird: The word there is "entole" meaning commandments of Christ. The word "nomos" which refers to the Mosaic Law was not used in that verse. The commandments of Christ are not the Mosaic Law, but His Law >>> to believe on Him, to love God, to love one another. That is the summary of the book of 1 John.

I don't mind being corrected, in fact desire it, but it is good not to trust you...

Entole

Revelation 12:17 N-AFP
GRK: τηρούντων τὰς ἐντολὰς τοῦ θεοῦ
NAS: who keep the commandments of God
KJV: keep the commandments of God,
INT: keep the commandments of God

Revelation 14:12 N-AFP
GRK: τηροῦντες τὰς ἐντολὰς τοῦ θεοῦ
NAS: who keep the commandments of God
KJV: [are] they that keep the commandments of God,
INT: keep the commandments of God

http://biblehub.com/greek/strongs_1785.htm

Nomos

http://biblehub.com/greek/strongs_3551.htm

We are not to be stumbling blocks yes?

1 John is to practice the truth...love God and each other was already in Leviticus what was not was to Love as He demonstrated including His observance of Sabbath...

And John stressed the fellowship with both the Father and His Son...the house is united under One Law not divided by the Father's Law and the Son's new set...that would be countering the authority of the Father and His house is not divided...

The Father's law points out sin and John concludes here we have all sinned...we all stand in need of fellowship with the Father and His...keeping His ENTOLE (His GOAL His End Objective) and the testimony of His Son...

Last edited:

clefty

Acts 25:8 Then Paul made his defense: "I have done nothing wrong against the Jewish law or against the temple or against Caesar."

Acts 18:18 Paul stayed on in Corinth for some time. Then he left the brothers and sisters and sailed for Syria, accompanied by Priscilla and Aquila. Before he sailed, he had his hair cut off at Cenchreae because of a vow he had taken.

Acts 21:23
Therefore do what we advise you. There are four men with us who have taken a vow.

Acts 21:24
Take these men, purify yourself along with them, and pay their expenses so they can have their heads shaved. Then everyone will know that there is no truth to these rumors about you, but that you also live in obedience to the Law.

Jesus told his disciples to obey the old temple laws while it stood.

If anyone went in the earthly temple they had to obey its rules as enforced by the Christ rejecting Pharisees and teachers of the Law.

Faith and obedience and worship was long before the temple...between the temples when the first was destroyed and continues still after the destruction of the second...

What we are discussing is not dependent on a temple...for we worship in spirit and truth...

And as Paul said celebrate the feast with the new unleavened bread of spirit and truth...Passover...also observed without a temple...

clefty

Jesus said nothing about the Sabbath being kept in Matt 24.

There is no evidence of this in Scripture, in fact, Paul said he did not keep the Law when he was with the Gentiles.

The four laws were not Kosher laws. Kosher is Talmudic and did exist until long after the first century.

No, he did not cut his hair in Acts 21 because he was not taking a vow. Are you really that un-knowledgeable of the requirements per the Mosaic Law?

The vow that the four men were taking had nothing to do with "Temple Law". These men were not Levitical priests.

The law was done away with, per Paul. There are not two laws. There is only one Law - the Law of Christ which is His Gospel. The Law of Moses passed away, was set aside, was vacated per Paul.

So much here you posted to correct...so little time...

Will now just address what is bolded above.

Here are the four prohibitions to those goyim who feared God crowding into the synagogues...

1. abstain from food polluted by idols - Leviticus 17:8-9 "Say to them: 'Any Israelite or any alien living among them who offers a burnt offering or sacrifice and does not bring it to the entrance to the Tent of Meeting to sacrifice it to the LORD--that man must be cut off from his people.' "

To guard carefully against idolatry, this command was interpreted by the Jews to prohibit eating any meat that had been offered in a prohibited manner. In Rev. 2:14, 20 the words of Jesus show agreement with that interpretation.

2. from sexual immorality - Leviticus 18:6-26 lists a wide range of sexually immoral activities and ends with, "The native-born and the aliens living among you must not do any of these detestable things,"

3. from the meat of strangled animals - Leviticus 17:13,15 "Any Israelite or any alien living among you who hunts any animal or bird that may be eaten must drain out the blood and cover it with earth,
"Anyone, whether native-born or alien, who eats anything found dead or torn by wild animals must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be ceremonially unclean till evening; then he will be clean." These were interpreted by the Jews to prohibit eating the meat of strangled animals.

4. and from blood - Leviticus 17:10 "Any Israelite or any alien living among them who eats any blood--I will set my face against that person who eats blood and will cut him off from his people."

http://fogwhistle.ca/acts/evidence.html

So actually what was prescribed there to refute those Jews who insisted Gentiles had to be circumcised to not only be saved but associate with them was something that was already set into place long ago when the church was still in the wilderness as st Stephen so eloquently put it...

3 of these 4 prohibitations merely affirm dietary restrictions as they always were for the Gentiles...

Now goyim could hear Moses preached to them every Sabbath as James said to better understand why a man had to die...and how He could defeat death...and now they too could partake of the promise...if they but trusted and obeyed...Helleluyah

To defeat death is the final "do JUST AS He did"...

clefty

:kookoo: you say some weird stuff, hey ....

LOL...however it is more accurate to say that preaching from a boat is emulating Christ than it is to say that Christ became a period of time...a literal day...and then add to the hilarity by insisting He replaces a day in the calendar...at a pattern of the seventh in 1/7 ratio

Days begin and end...specific days only periodically...how does He do that? I mean where does He go when His time is up...

He said He is Lord of the Sabbath...not Lord of rest...or Lord of Himself...

That is weird...