Have you been reconciled unto God by Jesus Christ?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Right, the law does not prevent sin, it encourages it, Romans 7:7-12.

Sin is only magnified by the law where there is sin.

the law is not the cause of sin.

The law is good--

Rom 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Has the law been fulfilled? yea, 2000 years ago so it has passed away for believers in Christ.

Only the handwritings against us have passed away nailed to the cross.

The covenant of law is no more, but the law remains.

God's love can prevent murder, adultery and theft a thousand times better than 'thou shalt not'.

It does, but man still has to have regard to the law, not as a way of pleasing God by its keeping carnally, but by the spirit from the heart, as you say rightly, and the law still guides us to know what sin is, otherwise men can make up their own rules as they are doing today.

Rather than mankind accepting the NC way of keeping the law, they want to remove the law entirely.

Lets not help them do that.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Nothing you cited above excuses you from breaking any of God's commandments. The fact that he made looking at another man's wife with lust in your heart a sin, doesn't nullify the law that requires adulterers be executed. You still have to grow a beard if you're a man, you still have to keep all of the kosher laws and keep the Sabbath. You still have to keep all of the holy days..etc. Nothing Jesus supposedly said above, nullifies the Torah, according to the book you so ardently proclaim as "God's inerrant, infallible word".

Has heaven and earth past away? No. Hence you have to keep the law and you can't cheery pick.

The OC and its carnal way of keeping and its carnal punishments (by man) have been superseded by the NC way.

For example, overcoming enemies is now fought through love of the Spirit, not by the steel sword.

This is difficult to do because a NC warrior has to sacrifice his own carnal life first before he can win others for Christ.

Most just press on carnally and fight in the flesh and accomplish nothing of eternal significance or worthy of reward except punishment..

Like Moses at the first.

LA

marhig

Jesus interpreted the law correctly for us as we are to understand it under the new covenant.

Mat 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Mat 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

LA
Yes that's right, and Jesus also showed us how to live it, and how to live right before God. He is our perfect example to follow and he lived by the laws of God. Only we now live through Christ by the Spirit, and the laws are in our hearts and in our minds as we are taught daily by the Spirit guiding us and showing us right from wrong and teaching us and prompting to turn from sin. And we do it through love, through loving God with all our heart, and loving our neighbour as ourselves.

I've even seen some people say we don't even have to obey the ten commandments. That's just wrong, we are to obey God and live by his will.

Robert Pate

Banned
Sin is only magnified by the law where there is sin.

the law is not the cause of sin.

The law is good--

Rom 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

LA

Paul said that the law (commandments) made him sin.

Romans 7:7-9.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Paul said that the law (commandments) made him sin.

Romans 7:7-9.

No. Paul did not say that.

Paul said it was sin in him, which the law magnified so that he would face up to it and repent of it--

Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Robert Pate

Banned
No. Paul did not say that.

Paul said it was sin in him, which the law magnified so that he would face up to it and repent of it--

Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

You skipped over Romans 7:7-12 because you know that you are wrong.

"what shall we say then? is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, BUT BY THE LAW: for I had not known lust, except the law said, THOU SHALT NOT COVET"

The law caused Paul to sin. People that live by laws and rules are prone to sin.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You skipped over Romans 7:7-12 because you know that you are wrong.

"what shall we say then? is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, BUT BY THE LAW: for I had not known lust, except the law said, THOU SHALT NOT COVET"

The law caused Paul to sin. People that live by laws and rules are prone to sin.

No.

The law magnified sin which was in him.

The law did not covet, Paul himself did.

LA

Robert Pate

Banned
No.

The law magnified sin which was in him.

The law did not covet, Paul himself did.

LA

Everyone is a sinner because they do not measure up to God's standards which is perfection. God is perfect in all that he does.

Paul wrote, "For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died" Romans 7:9.

Sin was already in Paul, but when the commandment came it revived the sin that was in Paul and caused him to sin. Where there is no law there is no sin.

Adam and Eve were doing just fine in the Garden until God said, "Don't eat of the tree in the midst of the Garden". The law caused Adam and Eve to sin.

There is something in human nature that when people are told not to do something they want to do it.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Everyone is a sinner because they do not measure up to God's standards which is perfection. God is perfect in all that he does.

Paul wrote, "For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died" Romans 7:9.

Sin was already in Paul, but when the commandment came it revived the sin that was in Paul and caused him to sin. Where there is no law there is no sin.

Adam and Eve were doing just fine in the Garden until God said, "Don't eat of the tree in the midst of the Garden". The law caused Adam and Eve to sin.

There is something in human nature that when people are told not to do something they want to do it.

Coveting was in Paul doing quite well before he heard the commandment spoken by the Spirit to him.

Paul was in bondage to coveting in his flesh well after his conversion, like many believers are until--

So many think they own Gods word these days.

LA

Robert Pate

Banned
Coveting was in Paul doing quite well before he heard the commandment spoken by the Spirit to him.

Paul was in bondage to coveting in his flesh well after his conversion, like many believers are until--

So many think they own Gods word these days.

LA

We are all in rebellion against God's law. "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10.

This is why we need to be free from the law. The law promotes sin and hypocrisy. Jesus in our name and on our behalf fulfilled the law for us and then abolished it, Ephesians 2:15. So that we can now have peace with God.

beloved57

We are all in rebellion against God's law. "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10.

This is why we need to be free from the law. The law promotes sin and hypocrisy. Jesus in our name and on our behalf fulfilled the law for us and then abolished it, Ephesians 2:15. So that we can now have peace with God.

You teach that sinners Christ died for are still lost and condemned!

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

The law was not abolished you are stumbling over it.

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

God's Truth

You can't accept truth, Paul was talking about himself in Romans 7:7-9.

The Jews who believed in Jesus when he walked the earth, those were the Jews who had faith before Jesus came, those were the lost sheep of Israel. Paul was not a lost sheep of Israel because he did not have faith.
Paul was explaining life for a person under the law without faith. He was speaking in a very exaggerated way.

Robert Pate

Banned
The Jews who believed in Jesus when he walked the earth, those were the Jews who had faith before Jesus came, those were the lost sheep of Israel. Paul was not a lost sheep of Israel because he did not have faith.
Paul was explaining life for a person under the law without faith. He was speaking in a very exaggerated way.

In Romans 7:7-12 Paul referred to himself 8 times. Who do you think that Paul was talking about?

Robert Pate

Banned
The law was not abolished you are stumbling over it.

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

We establish the law by being "In Christ". But we are not under it or subject to it because it has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15.