7th Grade Students Required to Write 'Allah Is the Only God' in Tennessee

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Neither was I but then I wouldn't have had a problem with just learning about other religions and cultures. I'd be against any kid having to actually write anything that was effectively a statement of belief but that's not exactly the same thing is it?

I learned about other cultures just fine without writing their religious creeds.

So you would be fine with them writing this: "Jesus Christ is God and there is no other way"? The shahada says there is no god but allah and muhammed is his prophet - which is the islamic conversion creed.

Tell me how you see no difference, and how you cant learn about other cultures without writing a conversion creed

Arthur Brain

I learned about other cultures just fine without writing their religious creeds.

So you would be fine with them writing this: "Jesus Christ is God and there is no other way"?

Eh? I've just said I wouldn't be as if it were a forced statement. Hyperbole much?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
How is it a double standard? Are kids being forced to write 'Allah is Lord' or something?

:freak:

They're not being forced. One of the students didn't want to write it, and the teacher said she wasn't required to either write or recite it.

If writing what another religion believes means the writer has claimed it as belief, then there are a lot of people here who are Muslim without even realizing it.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
They're not being forced. One of the students didn't want to write it, and the teacher said she wasn't required to either write or recite it.

If writing what another religion believes means the writer has claimed it as belief, then there are a lot of people here who are Muslim without even realizing it.

Its not ok period to be asked to write such in school. That child objected, which is why she was told she didnt have to, even though it was part of the assignment.

Arthur Brain

Its not ok period to be asked to write such in school. That child objected, which is why she was told she didnt have to, even though it was part of the assignment.

Well if she didn't have to then what's the problem? I'd have a problem if any child was forced to write a religious text no matter where it was from. Wouldn't you?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Well if she didn't have to then what's the problem? I'd have a problem if any child was forced to write a religious text no matter where it was from. Wouldn't you?

She was suppose to, until she objected, please pretend you dont understand how having students write that there is no god but allah, is not an endorsement of a religion by the school.

Let me know when you want to answer my questions.

Arthur Brain

Answer my questions and ill answer yours.

I just have, though to put it as bluntly and clearly as I can;

No child should be forced to 'study' or write out any religious text in school IMO. Seems to be the case that children aren't forced to do so here either.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I just have, though to put it as bluntly and clearly as I can;

No child should be forced to 'study' or write out any religious text in school IMO. Seems to be the case that children aren't forced to do so here either.

Just being asked to write it is wrong, and endorsement of a religion.

Children are being asked to do all kinds of wrong things by adults, and a lot of them don't know any better to object.

Arthur Brain

She was suppose to, until she objected, please pretend you dont understand how having students write that there is no god but allah, is not an endorsement of a religion by the school.

Let me know when you want to answer my questions.

Uh, yeah. The only reason the school is doing this is to indoctrinate the students with that one particular sentence Angel...:doh:

Arthur Brain

Then its ok to ask the children to write that Jesus Christ is the way the truth and the life, and no man comes to the father but by Him.

Got it.

Well you haven't 'got it' if that's what you think I advocate. I don't think kids should be forced to write any part of religious text in case that wasn't already clear.

Arthur Brain

Just being asked to write it is wrong, and endorsement of a religion.

Children are being asked to do all kinds of wrong things by adults, and a lot of them don't know any better to object.

Is being made aware of other religions wrong as well? I don't support writing down specific texts as curriculum from any so please answer.

Arthur Brain

Congrats, the part in red shows you just got the entire point of the thread.

Because of course that was the only sentence they were required to write and then actually weren't even required to write that...

You have any objections to kids learning about other religions or just writing about them?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Is being made aware of other religions wrong as well?
The class is world history, not world religion. There is no need to teach the ins and out of each religion and complete beliefs as well as creeds in order to teach history especially to 7th graders.

Religious aspects should be limited, and certainly not include writing conversion creeds.