Why would any conservative support Donald Trump?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The other candidates are all predictable. They're going to be more or less exactly like Presidents Obama, Bush, Clinton and Bush. Trump is the only exception to another four years of the same thing. I didn't know what President Reagan was going to do, and it turns out that the only thing he did that I didn't like was outlawing the sale of new machine guns to the public (we have to settle for 30 year olds at the newest now). Trump seems more like another Reagan, who was the best president we've had since JFK, another fine republican.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
:think: Reagan always presented himself as an intelligent gentleman. Trump comes across ... well the opposite of Reagan.
That's because President Reagan was an actor. :idunno: He could have presented himself anyway he wanted.

Arthur Brain

Did I say that? I didn't think I said that.
I know what the other candidates are going to do. And as I said, it's a very low risk prospect to elect The Donald. I like the bet. I push.

Well, you want America to be great again (you said that) and yet you don't apparently know what is that would make America great? That's how you're reading here, just garbled and vague...

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Well, you want America to be great again (you said that) and yet you don't apparently know what is that would make America great? That's how you're reading here, just garbled and vague...
I guess I don't understand then. I presume that we're not expected to predict the future in giving our reasoning for being a Trump fan, and a conservative? I can't do that. All I can do is know that the others are all in most ways the same, and Trump is different. I like the bet. I think good things will happen. I don't know what those good things are going to be. I think that even when the inevitable bad things happen, that things generally will be better on balance with Trump in office than with the other candidates.

I guess it's vague. Is it really garbled? It's vague because it's emotional. It's tough to express and explicate emotions precisely. It's a gut feel.

The real question is, what if our initial read on him was right, and he's not really serious? What if he's just the richest, craziest Clinton supporter in the world? And he's going to win the nomination and then withdraw, and basically hand the Presidency to Clinton?

That's really no different than Clinton just winning the general election.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Not exactly a noteworthy one particularly and most politicians are schooled in how to act to an extent...
The results are in. The Cold War's over. President Reagan's rhetoric helped defeat "the evil empire."

And we can't buy new machine guns.

Best president since Kennedy, who also distinguished himself in regard to the Russians.

Arthur Brain

I guess I don't understand then. I presume that we're not expected to predict the future in giving our reasoning for being a Trump fan, and a conservative? I can't do that. All I can do is know that the others are all in most ways the same, and Trump is different. I like the bet. I think good things will happen. I don't know what those good things are going to be. I think that even when the inevitable bad things happen, that things generally will be better on balance with Trump in office than with the other candidates.

I guess it's vague. Is it really garbled? It's vague because it's emotional. It's tough to express and explicate emotions precisely. It's a gut feel.

The real question is, what if our initial read on him was right, and he's not really serious? What if he's just the richest, craziest Clinton supporter in the world? And he's going to win the nomination and then withdraw, and basically hand the Presidency to Clinton?

That's really no different than Clinton just winning the general election.

But you're not giving any explicit definitions of what would constitute good or bad. How about you voice specific opinions on what you perceive as good policies and bad ones, else what does 'make America great' even mean? What do you think about immigration, welfare, healthcare, economic proposals etc etc?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Did I say that? I didn't think I said that.

In answer to the question as to why conservatives would support Trump, you offered a list of reasons, including

2) I like "Make America Great Again."

It seems logical that you like it because he's saying it, and because you believe he can make it happen. Why else would you have it in a list of reasons to vote for him?

Yet when I ask you what would make America great again, you don't know, but you know Trump personifies it.

The Trump trope is "make America great again."

With all due respect, I don't think that's a good enough reason to vote for him.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Yeah, ok GD, he ran for office with no thought to himself at all. There's no personal investment in any of his decision to become POTUS and he's doing it all out of the goodness of his heart and because he loves America so much. You certainly have been 'Trumped'...

:plain:

If I'm not mistaken, don't you live in England?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
He's shown enough of his 'heart and mind' in several public areas in order to make a very easy decision. The 'Trump train' only needs other people to continually stroke his massive swollen ego. The gullibility of the duped will serve just as well as fuel for that...

Who will you be voting for? If you're a citizen of this country?

Arthur Brain

In answer to the question as to why conservatives would support Trump, you offered a list of reasons, including

It seems logical that you like it because he's saying it, and because you believe he can make it happen. Why else would you have it in a list of reasons to vote for him?

Yet when I ask you what would make America great again, you don't know, but you know Trump personifies it.

The Trump trope is "make America great again."

With all due respect, I don't think that's a good enough reason to vote for him.

This is the kind of non specific trope filled nonsense that the likes of Trump will just lap up with glee. Spew out a few soundbites about how he'll fight Islamic Terrorism and any other 'hot topic' and the combination serves his purposes to a tee (no golf pun intended). To be fair he's hardly the only "politician" to whip the crowds up into a gullible frenzy of media rhetoric but it is surprising to see just how many are falling for it...