Who Are The Elect?

KingdomRose

The Bible clearly teaches that God chose a people for Himself before the foundation of the world. “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will” (Eph. 1:3-5). When the Bible discusses the predestination of those who are in Christ it speaks of the doctrine of election. The “elect” are those chosen by God. The verb “to elect” simply means to choose. The doctrine of election refers to “that eternal act of God whereby He, in His sovereign good pleasure, and on account of no foreseen merit in them, chooses a certain number of men to be the recipients of special grace and of eternal salvation.”28 In order to emphasize the fact that God’s election or choice of certain sinners to be saved is not based upon anything that the sinner himself does, Reformed theologians refer to election to eternal life as unconditional election.*-Brian Schwertley

You are misleading people when you teach that individuals were deemed righteous or damned before they were even born. That is sacriledge of the highest and most depraved order. Mr. Schwertley should be ashamed of himself.

To be correct, that view would have to harmonize with all of God's qualities, standards and purposes, as well as his righteous ways in dealing with his creation. It doesn't harmonize with his qualities of justice, honesty, impartiality, love, mercy, or kindness. Does it? The Apostle Peter writes: "The Lord is not slow about his promise, as some count slowness, but is PATIENT toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9, NASB)If God already knew and foreordained thousands of years in advance precisely which individuals would receive eternal salvation and which would receive eternal destruction, how meaningful would his "patience" be, and how genuine would his desire be that all attain to repentance? He would be playing games with his creations, and I don't think he is such a charlatan.

Ephesians 1:3-5, viewed in the proper light, means that God foreknew and foreordained that such a CLASS (but not the specific individuals forming it) would be produced. He prescribed the "pattern" to which all those in due time called to be members thereof would have to conform, all according to his plans and purposes.

A certain class....NOT individuals, have been foreordained.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
You are misleading people when you teach that individuals were deemed righteous or damned before they were even born. That is sacriledge of the highest and most depraved order. Mr. Schwertley should be ashamed of himself.

To be correct, that view would have to harmonize with all of God's qualities, standards and purposes, as well as his righteous ways in dealing with his creation. It doesn't harmonize with his qualities of justice, honesty, impartiality, love, mercy, or kindness. Does it? The Apostle Peter writes: "The Lord is not slow about his promise, as some count slowness, but is PATIENT toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9, NASB)If God already knew and foreordained thousands of years in advance precisely which individuals would receive eternal salvation and which would receive eternal destruction, how meaningful would his "patience" be, and how genuine would his desire be that all attain to repentance? He would be playing games with his creations, and I don't think he is such a charlatan.

Ephesians 1:3-5, viewed in the proper light, means that God foreknew and foreordained that such a CLASS (but not the specific individuals forming it) would be produced. He prescribed the "pattern" to which all those in due time called to be members thereof would have to conform, all according to his plans and purposes.

A certain class....NOT individuals, have been foreordained.
The Lord says to Jeremiah, ""Before I formed you in the womb I knew you." God has determined beforehand to affectionately set apart certain people, but not as a result of their decisions (Amos 3:2; Mt. 7:23; John 10:14; Eph 1:4,5). In fact the Bible teaches that God's grace in choosing us is free, based on His gracious will alone and not influenced by the innate capacities, spiritual desire (ROM 9:16, John 1:13), religious merit, or the foreseen faith of the people He sets apart as His own (Eph 1:5, 2:5,8). Rather, God acts in accordance with his highest purpose, which is His own glory. -John Hendryx

Everyone who is called by My name,
And whom I have created for My glory,
Whom I have formed, even whom I have made..." Isaiah 43:7

Robert Pate

Banned
The Lord says to Jeremiah, ""Before I formed you in the womb I knew you." God has determined beforehand to affectionately set apart certain people, but not as a result of their decisions (Amos 3:2; Mt. 7:23; John 10:14; Eph 1:4,5). In fact the Bible teaches that God's grace in choosing us is free, based on His gracious will alone and not influenced by the innate capacities, spiritual desire (ROM 9:16, John 1:13), religious merit, or the foreseen faith of the people He sets apart as His own (Eph 1:5, 2:5,8). Rather, God acts in accordance with his highest purpose, which is His own glory. -John Hendryx

Everyone who is called by My name,
And whom I have created for My glory,
Whom I have formed, even whom I have made..." Isaiah 43:7

There is no predestination without a purpose.

God chose Israel, Kings, prophets, apostles, for the sole purpose of making known to the world the Gospel of his Son Jesus Christ.

We now enter God's Kingdom through faith in God's Son Jesus Christ.

No one is predestinated. Salvation is by grace through faith.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
There is no predestination without a purpose.

God chose Israel, Kings, prophets, apostles, for the sole purpose of making known to the world the Gospel of his Son Jesus Christ.

We now enter God's Kingdom through faith in God's Son Jesus Christ.

No one is predestinated. Salvation is by grace through faith.
God still has a purpose. Why you lie on purpose beats us. Oh well, good day

Robert Pate

Banned
There is nothing that I have said that contradicts those scriptures that you cite. You always ADD stuff to the scriptures. None of them indicate that we should do NOTHING with our gift. If you are given a fishing rod, would you put it in the closet and never use it? How would the person who gave you that gift feel? What good is a gift if you don't do something with it?

Honestly, you ignore half of the Bible. Jesus says "love your enemies, DO what I have taught you, Let men see your good works, and if you endure to the end you will be saved." (Matthew 5:44; John 15:14; Matthew 5:16; Matthew 24:13)

Yet you call me a "cultist" for bringing attention to those verses.

All who come to Christ as repentant sinners to be saved by him receive the Holy Spirit. It is the Spirit working in the life of the believer that produces the Christian life, Ephesians 2:10. It is all of God.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Exhibit A:
ELECTION: To choose or select a person.

God has chosen all of humanity in his Son Jesus Christ

The entire basis of this thread is on a notion that everybody is the elect.

Exhibit B:
You cannot be reconciled without being elected

So RP basically just affirmed the Reformed tradition.

:mock: Anti-Calvinists

dodge

And you want me to believe you?

Why not just believe scripture ?

Rom 10:13
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

10:14

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Rom 10:15
And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Rom 10:16
But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

Rom 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Robert Pate

Banned
Exhibit A:

The entire basis of this thread is on a notion that everybody is the elect.

Exhibit B:

So RP basically just affirmed the Reformed tradition.

:mock: Anti-Calvinists

God has elected to provide salvation for the whole world by his Son Jesus Christ, 1 John 4:14,

So that, "Whosoever that shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13.

Nanja

God has elected to provide salvation for the whole world by his Son Jesus Christ, 1 John 4:14,

The World that Salvation was provided for
, according to the scriptures, is The World that God Loved John 3:16, His Elect 1 Pet. 1:2; or The Church Eph. 5:25; or The Sheep John 10:11,15; or Israel Is. 45:17.

But God has NOT elected these to salvation, but has according to His Purpose, created them specifically to be destroyed Rom. 9:22; 2 Pet. 2:12; to be condemned Jude 1:4; Mat. 25:41; reserved to the Day of Judgment Job 21:30!

Whatever God desires, that he does:

Job 23:13-14
13 But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth.
14 For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him.

How can the created thing have the audacity to question God about what He does with His Creation?

Rom. 9:20
Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

God's Will is Sovereign over all His Creation, and He does with it as He Pleases:

Dan. 4:35
And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

"Whosoever that shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13.

You have been shown many times how to interpret that scripture comparing it to other scriptures 1 Cor. 2:13, but because your mind is darkened Eph. 4:18 you're prevented from understanding it.

Before a person can call upon the Lord in a way that pleases God, they must first be made Spiritually Alive / Born Again / Quickened by the Holy Spirit, because those who are carnal / in the flesh cannot please God by anything they do Rom. 8:8!

Ps. 80:18b
quicken us, and we will call upon thy name.

So those Christ died for shall call upon Him after being Quickened by the Power of the Holy Spirit given them in New Birth!

~~~~~

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Why not just believe scripture ?

Rom 10:13
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

10:14

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Rom 10:15
And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Rom 10:16
But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

Rom 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Don't deny them but pate lies so it would look like we deny them. It's called scam

Last edited:

Nanja

Scripture?

It's there Ps. 80:18.

You see, (?) it's all God's Work which results in our becoming Saved,
not by our own work of calling on Him.

When God gives His Elect Sons New Birth they shall call on Him!

Praise the Lord!

~~~~~

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's there Ps. 80:18.

You see, (?) it's all God's Work which results in our becoming Saved,
not by our own work of calling on Him.

When God gives His Elect Sons New Birth they shall call on Him!

Praise the Lord!

~~~~~
And where does it say that these are the elect of God and who that elect is? I think this passage is talking about Israel.

Nanja

And where does it say that these are the elect of God and who that elect is? I think this passage is talking about Israel.

All the Elect of God consist of the Israel of God which were Promised Salvation:

Is. 45:17
But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.

Titus 1:1-2
1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;
2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began (2 Tim. 1:9).

~~~~~

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

Indeed it is. Most references in the OT to GOD's elect are either to Israel or to Israel's Messiah.

Deu 7:6 For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

Isa 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

chosen- bachar, LXX-eklektos

Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.