What is the Gospel?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Acts 4:33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
Verses like this ensure me that I'm right to focus in on Easter. There are a lot of verses that talk about things other than Easter, and then there are verses like this one Ac4:33KJV, and 1Co15:14KJV and Ro10:9KJV for instance.
Acts 11:23 Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.

Acts 13:43 Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.

Acts 14:3 Long time therefore abode they speaking boldly in the Lord, which gave testimony unto the word of his grace, and granted signs and wonders to be done by their hands.

Acts 14:26 And thence sailed to Antioch, from whence they had been recommended to the grace of God for the work which they fulfilled.

Acts 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the LORD Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Acts 15:40 And Paul chose Silas, and departed, being recommended by the brethren unto the grace of God.

Acts 18:27 And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace:

Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

Acts 20:32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

Rom. 5:8.
God gave unto them Saul the son of Cis, a man of the tribe of Benjamin, by the space of forty years.
Spoiler
22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.
Spoiler
23 Of this man’s seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus:
24 When John had first preached before his coming the baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel.
Spoiler
25 And as John fulfilled his course, he said, Whom think ye that I am? I am not he. But, behold, there cometh one after me, whose shoes of his feet I am not worthy to loose.

26 Men and brethren, children of the stock of Abraham, and whosoever among you feareth God, to you is the word of this salvation sent.
Spoiler
27 For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him. 28 And though they found no cause of death in him, yet desired they Pilate that he should be slain. 29 And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre. 30 But God raised him from the dead: 31 And he was seen many days of them which came up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are his witnesses unto the people.
"They" fulfilled the prophets. Ac13:27KJV cf. Ac13:29KJV The prophecies about Him, were fulfilled by "they."

glorydaz

Verses like this ensure me that I'm right to focus in on Easter. There are a lot of verses that talk about things other than Easter, and then there are verses like this one Ac4:33KJV, and 1Co15:14KJV and Ro10:9KJV for instance.

No, you are wrong to focus on the Resurrection. You will find the Prophets are not as tunnel visioned as you are, nor was our Lord Himself. He endured the Cross for the joy set before Him.

The death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord is ONE WORK. Those three are ONE. Just like our Triune God is ONE. One is no higher or lower than the other. Here's but one example "brought as a lamb to the slaughter" Those that witnessed His resurrection also witnessed His death.

Isaiah 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. 7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. 8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. 9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. 10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand. 11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. 12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.​

glorydaz

Paul even had the Gentiles take part in the Lord's Supper as a remembrance of the COVENANT of which they are part.

Spoiler
Corinthians 11

Correcting an Abuse of the Lord’s Supper
17 In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good. 18 In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it. 19 No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God’s approval. 20 So then, when you come together, it is not the Lord’s Supper you eat, 21 for when you are eating, some of you go ahead with your own private suppers. As a result, one person remains hungry and another gets drunk. 22 Don’t you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God by humiliating those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? Certainly not in this matter!

23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31 But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment. 32 Nevertheless, when we are judged in this way by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be finally condemned with the world.

33 So then, my brothers and sisters, when you gather to eat, you should all eat together. 34 Anyone who is hungry should eat something at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment.

Paul was rebuking them for celebrating the Lord's Supper (a remembrance) in an unworthy manner. Paul said nothing about their being a part of any Covenant. You read that into what is written.

glorydaz

1 Corinthians 11:23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

A remembrance.....a reminder of our Lord's death.

I remind you of that all the time, and you claim His death was not enough....you have to add to that with your obedience, and your repenting, and your being water baptized, and your asking for forgiveness. Anything else you've added since we talked last?

God's Truth

A remembrance.....a reminder of our Lord's death.

I remind you of that all the time, and you claim His death was not enough....you have to add to that with your obedience, and your repenting, and your being water baptized, and your asking for forgiveness. Anything else you've added since we talked last?

God didn't nail Jesus' teachings to the cross.

Jesus didn't come, preach the Truth, and then have it all wiped away just because he died on the cross.

Jesus' blood is the blood of the New Covenant.

God's Truth

Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved.

Saved by Grace through Faith.

Believe in what?

I will tell you what.

Believe that Jesus' blood cleans you of the sins you repent of doing.

Jesus tells us how to have a heart that he will save.

You go against me for preaching what one must do to have that heart.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
I don't think he's looking but under the glass of Calvinism. He will not accept the gospel because 'he' is a Calvinist. He may not want to be one, but that's the hang-up, at least that he is giving you, I and the rest of TOL.

In a nutshell, there is no loss of love from Christ. I know it 'looks' like that from an outsider, but GD said it well: "Salvation is sufficient." AMR says this too. Nutshell, all three of us believe this: Romans 10:13 Will Sonnet call? Will he be MADE to call? Will he be entreated to call? WHAT will make Sonnet call? Every Arminian and Calvinist are concerned with these questions. My question: Who is this really between? Me and Sonnet? :nono: GloryDaz and Sonnet? :nono: AMR and Sonnet? :nono: Evil Eye and Sonnet? :nono: Jesus and Sonnet? Yep. Sonnet, MUST eventually meet and confront or be confronted by, the Lord Jesus Christ. John 14:6 Acts 4:12 John 6:44; 65 "IF" Sonnet, right now, is NOT drawn, only God can draw Him. Light either draws or repels. If Sonnet is just repelled by Calvinism, I've no real worry. If, however, he is repelled by the good, loving, righteous, light of God, he is in REAL trouble. We can plant. We can water. ONLY God gives the increase. I applaud you digging frantically and dumping boat-loads of water. Try to realize, however, than neither AMR nor GD are doing it wrong. They are shining light. Light WILL draw men. If Sonnet doesn't see love here, he is in desperate need of scales removed and callouses sanded down. Pray for him, don't shoot AMR or GD. Your light needs to shine too, just shine it. :e4e: -Lon

M8,

Sonnet says the gospel arrests him when it means All as in all. Why would anyone push theology on him, when he has professed that the gospel "Arrests Him"?

He's valuing collective understanding and debating it out.

Do the spiritual math. I don't mean this disrespectfully and received your words well... but Sonnet is worth way more than "cliques" and "alliances" that may be similar to my or your particular brand of theology. He could be Calvinist in inclination and I would simply support his desire to have faith... and look forward to debating with him later... once his faith legs were made stronger by Jesus.

I just want him to see that it's worth elevating his mustard seed of faith over his mountain of doubt... as all have to do so at some point... or be overwhelmed and choked out.

I fully agree with the light part of your post and Jesus Christ being the big sway in all of it.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
No, you are wrong to focus on the Resurrection. You will find the Prophets are not as tunnel visioned as you are, nor was our Lord Himself. He endured the Cross for the joy set before Him.

The death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord is ONE WORK. Those three are ONE. Just like our Triune God is ONE. One is no higher or lower than the other. Here's but one example "brought as a lamb to the slaughter" Those that witnessed His resurrection also witnessed His death.

Isaiah 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. 7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. 8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. 9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. 10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand. 11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. 12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.​

1 Corinthians 15:4 and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain.

And yet Paul said this. As in... Men die and are buried every day... but only Jesus Died, was buried and ... drew His life back up, by His own POWER... (John 10:18)

Paul agrees with [MENTION=83]Nihilo[/MENTION] ... why don't you? :idunno:

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
[MENTION=15579]1Mind1Spirit[/MENTION] ... I'm sorry for the hurtful things I've said to your "Unitarian" brothers and sisters in the past.

This thread has been an "Eye" opener.

I appreciate your desire for unity as Paul professed when He spoke the words... "Is Christ Divided"...

I'm clinking glasses with you... but be warned... I'm sort of a blemish to ones reputation at this point... :chuckle:

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
[MENTION=15579]1Mind1Spirit[/MENTION] ... I'm sorry for the hurtful things I've said to your "Unitarian" brothers and sisters in the past.

This thread has been an "Eye" opener.

I appreciate your desire for unity as Paul professed when He spoke the words... "Is Christ Divided"...

I'm clinking glasses with you... but be warned... I'm sort of a blemish to ones reputation at this point... :chuckle:

Lol, not to worry, I didn't feel the need to delete any of my friendly posts to you.

Glad you're back. :)

Derf

Well... Sh1T!!! You’re not faith only and you mistake human opinion for Righteous Judgment...

Much of your dialogue is valuable... but you took too many words to say by Faith Alone.
It took Christianity 1500 years to get there, and you think I took too long?

You will reject the video I’m closing with... most likely... but [MENTION=16283]Sonnet[/MENTION] ... the video I’m about to post is an excellent synopsis of the gospel... and I really am burning my bridges here... because though I would bible study with Derf any day and benefit from it...

He isn’t teaching others to simply “sit in the chair of faith”...

It’s “Milk Plus”... Droogy Hangout reference.... from A Clockwork Orange.

Derf is the most intensely diplomatic debater here and can teach much...

But it’s either yes or no to Ephesians 2:8f

And yet... Derf is correct on faith taking effort... as all have doubts and not all admit it... but personal relationship with Jesus is the only way to quell those doubts...

So I’m ambiguously concluding my time here with positive and negative notation of Derf’s good and bad points... (In my “opinion”.... not judgment.)

And Derf... you are a thread builder... not a thread killer. You also are the most mysterious Theological perspective here...

And Derf is a valid perspective and worth time and ear... though we have a schism of sorts over Romans 4 and Ephesians 2:8f... but then again... we don’t.

[MENTION=17606]Derf[/MENTION]... the fool says in his heart... there is no God... but the mind of a man is a carnal thing.

The heart and mind are not the same... IMNSHO...

Only God knows the heart and we can share opinions... but only God Judges Rightly.
Sure, but how does God judge? does He not look at our actions? did He not look at Abraham's faithfulness when he offered up Isaac?

Jesus gave the parable of the virgins and the parable of the talents to explain what He is expecting of us, as well as the judgment of the sheep and the goats (all in Matt 25). All three talk about what the subjects are doing. The 5 foolish virgins were left out of the wedding (Matt 25:10-12). The man who hid the talent in the ground was cast into outer darkness (Matt 25:30). And the goats were sent into everlasting punishment because they did not minister to those in need (Matt 25:46)! He never asked any of them, "Do you believe in me?" because He could tell who really believed by what they did. Neither did He say, "I can tell you believe in me because I can read your mind."

Why would God want anyone in His kingdom that "believes in Him", but rejects what He says????????????

Your video is a good one, but the author was not telling people to disregard feeding the hungry or clothing the naked. If you agree with that video, then you would agree that "the Law" that Paul was telling Christians they didn't have to do anymore is the circumcision and sabbaths and avoiding meat and drink. The other things (like murder and theft and adultery and homosexuality) were condemned in almost every letter of Pauls'. Paul was very clear that adulterers and slanderers and revilers and thieves and murderers and necromancers and those that strike their parents are not going to be welcome in God's kingdom. Fortunately, He gives us grace not to do those things, though our flesh fights hard to keep doing them (and sometimes wins out).

Paul is ever mindful of the two greatest commandments: Love God and Love your neighbor (where "neighbor" means everybody but "me"). Non-believers are turned off by Christians that don't love their neighbor, because they recognize (inherently, intrinsically, inevitably) that it is what is required of everyone.

Thus, when we are called to repentance (from murder, theft, adultery, slander, reviling, necromancing, etc.), it's merely the other side of the faith coin. "Trust and Obey, for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus." Faith is believing that God is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him, meaning, I think, wanting to know what He wants us to do and doing it the best we can.

This is no easier for me than anyone else. I am that lazy servant that buried his masters talent in the ground. But I don't want to stay that way. Neither should any of us Christians.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
It took Christianity 1500 years to get there, and you think I took too long?

Sure, but how does God judge? does He not look at our actions? did He not look at Abraham's faithfulness when he offered up Isaac?

Jesus gave the parable of the virgins and the parable of the talents to explain what He is expecting of us, as well as the judgment of the sheep and the goats (all in Matt 25). All three talk about what the subjects are doing. The 5 foolish virgins were left out of the wedding (Matt 25:10-12). The man who hid the talent in the ground was cast into outer darkness (Matt 25:30). And the goats were sent into everlasting punishment because they did not minister to those in need (Matt 25:46)! He never asked any of them, "Do you believe in me?" because He could tell who really believed by what they did. Neither did He say, "I can tell you believe in me because I can read your mind."

Why would God want anyone in His kingdom that "believes in Him", but rejects what He says????????????

Your video is a good one, but the author was not telling people to disregard feeding the hungry or clothing the naked. If you agree with that video, then you would agree that "the Law" that Paul was telling Christians they didn't have to do anymore is the circumcision and sabbaths and avoiding meat and drink. The other things (like murder and theft and adultery and homosexuality) were condemned in almost every letter of Pauls'. Paul was very clear that adulterers and slanderers and revilers and thieves and murderers and necromancers and those that strike their parents are not going to be welcome in God's kingdom. Fortunately, He gives us grace not to do those things, though our flesh fights hard to keep doing them (and sometimes wins out).

Paul is ever mindful of the two greatest commandments: Love God and Love your neighbor (where "neighbor" means everybody but "me"). Non-believers are turned off by Christians that don't love their neighbor, because they recognize (inherently, intrinsically, inevitably) that it is what is required of everyone.

Thus, when we are called to repentance (from murder, theft, adultery, slander, reviling, necromancing, etc.), it's merely the other side of the faith coin. "Trust and Obey, for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus." Faith is believing that God is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him, meaning, I think, wanting to know what He wants us to do and doing it the best we can.

This is no easier for me than anyone else. I am that lazy servant that buried his masters talent in the ground. But I don't want to stay that way. Neither should any of us Christians.

Bottom line Derf... you are a gem here... and a man of excellent perspective. I believe you are rooted in deep Love for Jesus and Jesus fully appreciates your words here.

I'm a hope for the hopeless guy. A thief on the cross guy. A witness to the ones that don't make the "religious" cut.

I'm the one that says... nope... He died for them too... and their faith is sufficient...

But... Your perspective edifies the body as well. And... for the record... you are the only one on ToL... besides [MENTION=595]Knight[/MENTION]... who I have followed in his recorded debates... that can debate me into the ground and do so in grace, Love and kindness.

All my best to you, Derf... or is it "fred"? :D I always wondered that...

:e4e:

One piece of humble advice... and you know I try not to do the humble thing often... :D ...

What you consider "Lazy"... may be enormously "Broken" ... and God seems to have a soft spot for "Broken Things"...

glorydaz

Believe in what?

That Jesus Christ is THE LORD, who died, was buried, and rose again for the justification of those who believe.

I will tell you what.

Believe that Jesus' blood cleans you of the sins you repent of doing.

Not true. Salvation is a GIFT for those who believe. You add repent, and many other things in order to garner some of the glory. It's HIS GLORY because HE did all the work and any "repenting" or "obeying" you do counts not one iota toward salvation.

Jesus tells us how to have a heart that he will save.

If hearing the word preached doesn't humble you, there is nothing you can do to "have" that heart.

You go against me for preaching what one must do to have that heart.

That ONE already did all that needs to be done, and that ONE is certainly not you.

Romans 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.​

Lon

M8,

Sonnet says the gospel arrests him when it means All as in all. Why would anyone push theology on him, when he has professed that the gospel "Arrests Him"?

He's valuing collective understanding and debating it out.

Do the spiritual math. I don't mean this disrespectfully and received your words well... but Sonnet is worth way more than "cliques" and "alliances" that may be similar to my or your particular brand of theology. He could be Calvinist in inclination and I would simply support his desire to have faith... and look forward to debating with him later... once his faith legs were made stronger by Jesus.

I just want him to see that it's worth elevating his mustard seed of faith over his mountain of doubt... as all have to do so at some point... or be overwhelmed and choked out.

I fully agree with the light part of your post and Jesus Christ being the big sway in all of it.
Well and good, but doing so here isn't the desire for me. We can kick that can around somewhere else. My only concern is we aren't talking so much to each other, as to Sonnet here. He might throw the gauntlet at the Calvinist, but as the OP is interested in the Gospel, I don't want him side-tracked nor give him fuel for that side-track. I think, here too, we are in agreement. We will plant and water the best we can. I still think Sonnet needs to read and reread Romans 10:13 then ask Acts 16:30 He is worried about others but he needs to settle it for himself first. Sonnet: Acts 16:30 In Him. -Lon

glorydaz

1 Corinthians 15:4 and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain.

And yet Paul said this. As in... Men die and are buried every day... but only Jesus Died, was buried and ... drew His life back up, by His own POWER... (John 10:18)

Paul agrees with [MENTION=83]Nihilo[/MENTION] ... why don't you? :idunno:

I can see you don't understand what Paul wrote any more than Nihilo does. :chuckle: