toldailytopic: Hell, what is it really like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Brain

Those who are anhialated will always be looked on with contempt by God and/or those who have everlasting life, and maybe even those who will end up there but haven't died yet.

For example, even though Hitler is dead, buried, rotten beyond recognition, annhialated, we still view him with contempt and that isn't likely to change any time soon. Everlasting contempt.

I don't believe in annihilation myself. I'm more in line with 'universal salvation' although I'm interested as to what leads to annihilation in your view? Is it simply unbelief?

Krsto

So you believe that those who have eternal life with God will be aware of those that are not there?

I think that if I had to live eternally with the memory or the thought of a loved one that was annihilated then I would have no peace in heaven. Nor would I have contempt for those that were lost...but rather I would live eternally with a broken heart.

Well then you would have two options for that verse in question, both of which are consistent with annhialationism:

1) God is the one viewing them with eternal contempt

2) Men who are alive view those who have ended their life in the grave rather than continue to live in glory are viewed with contempt (note - something that lasts as long as the human race lasts fits in with the biblical definition of the word(s) that are translated "eternal.")

Krsto

I don't believe in annihilation myself. I'm more in line with 'universal salvation' although I'm interested as to what leads to annihilation in your view? Is it simply unbelief?

No, it's the Word. See my long post quoting Ed Christian, for starters. Besides that:

1) Lack of evidence in the Word for eternal suffering.
2) Eternal suffering is contrary to biblical concepts of justice.
3) The bible does not talk about heaven vs. hell, but of life vs. death. The wages of sin is death. Jesus came to give life.
4) We all have an inner witness that the idea of eternal torment for a lifetime of sinning is wrong.
5) This doctrine has caused more people to go to hell than any other I can think of.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
On this subject of hell, I will have to get back to it later. Our nature is to be drawn towards God. He calls us, beckons us to come into His light.

As I have said, animals do not go to heaven, for they do not have souls. Do you think any man can choose to be an animal? Some think so and how pathetic.

:wave2:

You mean like furries? Because they are kinda pathetic.

Arthur Brain

No, it's the Word. See my long post quoting Ed Christian, for starters. Besides that:

1) Lack of evidence in the Word for eternal suffering.
2) Eternal suffering is contrary to biblical concepts of justice.
3) The bible does not talk about heaven vs. hell, but of life vs. death. The wages of sin is death. Jesus came to give life.
4) We all have an inner witness that the idea of eternal torment for a lifetime of sinning is wrong.
5) This doctrine has caused more people to go to hell than any other I can think of.

Yes, I read it. Regarding eternal suffering or torment I obviously agree but what essentially causes people to have life beyond death? We all die in the physical sense...

OMEGA

Hell is just a Large Garbage dump where every piece of Garbage is burnt

when Jesus tells people to get rid of all their idols and clean up the cities

that they are rebuilding. It will be fueled by the Oil and Gas in Saudi Arabia.

==========================

Krsto

Yes, I read it. Regarding eternal suffering or torment I obviously agree but what essentially causes people to have life beyond death? We all die in the physical sense...

Only God is intrinsically immortal or incorruptible:

ASV 1 Timothy 6:16 who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen.

Immortality or incorruptness is something Christians are hoping to attain to:

Romans 2:7 to them that by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and incorruption, eternal life:

God grants immortality or incorruptness which means it is not automatically part of man's intrinsic nature:

Darn, can't find that one - but it's there!

This one's pretty close:

ASV 2 Timothy 1:10 but hath now been manifested by the appearing of our Saviour Christ Jesus, who abolished death, and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 7th, 2010 10:33 AM

toldailytopic: Hell, what is it really like?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

JEREMIAH 51:39 & 57

39.) In their heat I will make their feasts, and I will make them drunken, that they may rejoice, and sleep a perpetual sleep, and not wake, saith the LORD.

57.) And I will make drunk her princes, and her wise men, her captains, and her rulers, and her mighty men: and they shall sleep a perpetual sleep, and not wake, saith the King, whose name is the LORD of hosts.

DEAD, THE GRAVE, PERPETUAL SLEEP AND NOT WAKE.

One Eyed Jack

I've often thought it would be something like my job, only with no relief when the shift was up. Also, I never work in an environment over 280 degrees, and rarely above 120, so I imagine it would be a lot hotter as well.

elohiym

What are your views on the following passage from Daniel 12?

For starters, it contains a lot of figurative language and symbolism, just like most prophecies. So you need to be careful with a literal interpretation. For example, will the righteous literally shine like the firmament and literally be like stars. Obviously not.

What do you think that the phrase "many who sleep will awake to shame and everlasting contempt" means?

Sleep means the first death. Awake means resurrection. Shame and everlasting contempt describes the state of the carnal mind, which is to say the they will be unconverted when they are raised, just as they were unconverted before they died. Here is an example of "shame and everlasting contempt:"

Gen 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

It is shame and contempt for yourself without beginning and end. That's the state of mind of someone in unbelief when they are raised from the grave at the judgment.

So you believe that those who have eternal life with God will be aware of those that are not there?

I don't think God will induce amnesia. :idunno:

I think that if I had to live eternally with the memory or the thought of a loved one that was annihilated then I would have no peace in heaven.

But you would have peace if they were eternally tormented by God in a place called hell? :squint:

Krsto

But you would have peace if they were eternally tormented by God in a place called hell? :squint:

Kudos elohiym.

It seems if people deep down in their heart really believed that one of their loved ones was going to spend eternity in agony they would stop short of NOTHING to get that person saved and if they couldn't they would forever feel guilty for not doing enough.

I just wonder if anybody here really believes that God would do that?

And furthermore, will we get any honest answers?

Arthur Brain

Only God is intrinsically immortal or incorruptible:

ASV 1 Timothy 6:16 who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen.

Immortality or incorruptness is something Christians are hoping to attain to:

Romans 2:7 to them that by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and incorruption, eternal life:

God grants immortality or incorruptness which means it is not automatically part of man's intrinsic nature:

Darn, can't find that one - but it's there!

This one's pretty close:

ASV 2 Timothy 1:10 but hath now been manifested by the appearing of our Saviour Christ Jesus, who abolished death, and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,

So it is only Christians who are likely to attain immortality then? After physical death in your opinion? Is it only the few who have hope? I certainly relate on the one level because eternal torment of any kind is obscene and a complete anathema to love etc but this is also despairing on some levels as well IMO.

I need to find some verses myself but what about this?

1 Tim 4:10

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My "beliefs" are based upon what the Bible says. You want my answer, look it up. Are you going to hell with granite? He can't wait to get there.

Krsto

So it is only Christians who are likely to attain immortality then? After physical death in your opinion? Is it only the few who have hope? I certainly relate on the one level because eternal torment of any kind is obscene and a complete anathema to love etc but this is also despairing on some levels as well IMO.

I need to find some verses myself but what about this?

1 Tim 4:10

I hate to answer a question with another question (well ok, I don't really) but why the labor on Paul's part if he's preaching universal salvation? Why even need evangelists unless their job is to make everyone feel good by informing them that all are saved in Christ regardless of their beliefs?

Jesus is the Savior of all men because that is who God provided for ALL men in all times and cultures, even today 2000 years later. The point is he didn't provide Jesus for just the Jews, Mohammed for those in the Middle East, Buddha for those in the East, etc. Jesus is the savior of ALL men.

Having said that I do leave open the possibility of Jesus and the Gospel being contextualized for different cultures and not exactly looking the same in the East as it does in the West.

Status
Not open for further replies.