The New Rep System Is A Joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
the green bars aren't moving - we should have all began as "making a name for themselves" - i saw older members that it says "unknown quantity" - but still, there's gonna be bugs. i say give it time to even out -

RevTestament

That is the excuse always used to discredit claims that the system is rigged. No, others were not sending her rep simultaneously with mine.

I exchanged pm's with Knight in the first hours after the reset was done as I noticed the rapid acceleration of some members' rep power. Knight denied that there were any unfair advantages of some members over others. After a few pm's it became quite clear to me that Knight had no interest in finding out what is causing the inequities in the system. At that point I dropped the inquiries.

At this point I just accept the rep system for what it is. It is a tainted, unbalanced, class based hoax. My only option is to think less of TOL.
I think instead we should fight clickiness with FIRE!!
Let's start the SSOOTS - the Super Secret Order of The Smack!

Arthur Brain

Yes he is.

He hasn't said one true thing about me!!!!!!

Look, get this straight. I could care less about my own rep score nowadays. It means zilch. You got that? Years ago, before you were a member here as I recollect - rep points were through the roof. I was involved in a crazy 'rep war' as "red77" at the time and I'm glad those days are gone as it was just petty and insane overall looking back.

The only positive thing back then was to give support to newbies on the forum who could be blasted into oblivion back then by rabid posters who thought it was fun to neg rep with their massive rep tallies.

Right now I could care less if my rep score is cemented as it is now or knocked back to minus 10000 or whatever. Once again, you know fine well that your rep score hasn't come about by regular or honest means, and not just you either to be fair. If that's what you and others want - to delude - then get on with it. Don't cry 'foul' when it's pointed out though.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Yet, in the space of four days you've accumulated well over 2000 points of rep?

He hasn't said one true thing about me!!!!!!

Your rep count is plain to see, Tam. You're a poster who's well thought of by most so I'm not surprised you get lots of reps, but your total is noticeably out of balance with the vast majority of posters here. Remember when that screen cap was posted and we could see the soots rep threads? No, you haven't used the system other than how the system is set up, but it is set up differently than most posters perceive it to be. And that's a fact.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I think instead we should fight clickiness with FIRE!!
Let's start the SSOOTS - the Super Secret Order of The Smack!

ok rev - don't tell the soots. you can be the leader and we'll get it up and running. we will coordinate via PM's, ok ? ssssshhhhhh don't tell yet

and it's clique -

RevTestament

Your rep count is plain to see, Tam. You're a poster who's well thought of by most so I'm not surprised you get lots of reps, but your total is noticeably out of balance with the vast majority of posters here. Remember when that screen cap was posted and we could see the soots rep threads? No, you haven't used the system other than how the system is set up, but it is set up differently than most posters perceive it to be. And that's a fact.
So what's the scoop on that? Did Lighthouse have a gripe? He wasn't in SOOTS I take it? How did he get a link?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
rep value...........

rep value...........

this new system is rep rehensible

lol - you are becoming quite the wordsmith ;)

We could also say, its a way of rep-resentation, but the question is how are we presenting ourselves?

REP ? - Its just a fun feature here....so knock yourself out.

A high rep score doesn't necessarily reflect an 'approval' from 'God', but one's peers or fraternity buddies. The two are not always joined.

pj

journey

Well okay then, how do you account for the massive discrepancies in rep power if this were actually a level playing field at least in regards to an honest representation of rep, considering that without some "influence" there's no possible way your score could be anywhere near that high?

Or is that just another aspect of TOL bias in play? In which case enjoy your rep.

The bias is on a per individual basis. I'll tell you how to get lots of positive rep points:

1 - Make lots of friends and treat them nice,

2 - Always give out positive reps for posts that you like and enjoy,

3 - Make lots of good and positive posts without a bunch of crying and whining.

The more of all three that you have, the more positive reps that you will get in return. Arthur, I haven't given you any positive reps because of number 3.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Look, get this straight. I could care less about my own rep score nowadays. It means zilch. You got that? Years ago, before you were a member here as I recollect - rep points were through the roof. I was involved in a crazy 'rep war' as "red77" at the time and I'm glad those days are gone as it was just petty and insane overall looking back.

The only positive thing back then was to give support to newbies on the forum who could be blasted into oblivion back then by rabid posters who thought it was fun to neg rep with their massive rep tallies.

Right now I could care less if my rep score is cemented as it is now or knocked back to minus 10000 or whatever. Once again, you know fine well that your rep score hasn't come about by regular or honest means, and not just you either to be fair. If that's what you and others want - to delude - then get on with it. Don't cry 'foul' when it's pointed out though.
You have accused me of several things based purely on assumption with no evidence whatsoever.

I'll say it again.
I have done nothing underhanded.
NOTHING.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your rep count is plain to see, Tam.
Yep. Always has been.

You're a poster who's well thought of by most so I'm not surprised you get lots of reps,
I have made a lot of friends here. A lot.

but your total is noticeably out of balance with the vast majority of posters here.
I'll keep saying it ....
I have done nothing underhanded.
NOTHING.

Remember when that screen cap was posted and we could see the soots rep threads?
No.
I remember LH posting a screen shot of his own personal rep page. The same rep page that we all have.
What does his rep page have to do with how much rep I get?
I'm not seeing a connection here.

No, you haven't used the system other than how the system is set up,
I click on the blue rep button at the top of peoples posts. I cannot specify to the rep system to give a poster more than I give another. The system tallies it, not me.
Are other folks doing it differently? How do you do it, Anna?

but it is set up differently than most posters perceive it to be. And that's a fact.
Is this assumption, or do you have evidence?
:idunno:

bybee

Before anyone starts flinging mud etc, let me just say that I had no problem with all reps being reset to zero, or even if the whole thing had just been scrapped altogether. What I object to is the latter of the following if this was supposedly the actual intent:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4417781&postcount=1

Yes there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. But with a new fresh start it will give a new, more accurate representation of user reputation moving forward.

How? By gaming the system behind the scenes so that those privy to such can have rep scores escalated through the roof while everyone else can only give a paltry few points or so? How is that honestly representative of user reputation or the actual contents and merits of a persons posts? If it had been reset to zero and everyone was on a level playing field then that would have been representative of users. As it is it's anything but, and as such is a joke.

The system is not a life or death entity.
We give and receive rep for a variety of reasons. I've enjoyed receiving rep comments which showed appreciation for my stance on things. Also, I do evaluate neg rep's for possible correction of my stance on things.
It is one way in which we dialogue here.
As for amassing points? If it floats your boat that is okay too!
It is not money in the bank....

Status
Not open for further replies.