The New Rep System Is A Joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Brain

Before anyone starts flinging mud etc, let me just say that I had no problem with all reps being reset to zero, or even if the whole thing had just been scrapped altogether. What I object to is the latter of the following if this was supposedly the actual intent:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4417781&postcount=1

Yes there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. But with a new fresh start it will give a new, more accurate representation of user reputation moving forward.

How? By gaming the system behind the scenes so that those privy to such can have rep scores escalated through the roof while everyone else can only give a paltry few points or so? How is that honestly representative of user reputation or the actual contents and merits of a persons posts? If it had been reset to zero and everyone was on a level playing field then that would have been representative of users. As it is it's anything but, and as such is a joke.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Before anyone starts flinging mud etc, let me just say that I had no problem with all reps being reset to zero, or even if the whole thing had just been scrapped altogether. What I object to is the latter of the following if this was supposedly the actual intent:

Yes there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. But with a new fresh start it will give a new, more accurate representation of user reputation moving forward.

How? By gaming the system behind the scenes so that those privy to such can have rep scores escalated through the roof while everyone else can only give a paltry few points or so? How is that honestly representative of user reputation or the actual contents and merits of a persons posts? If it had been reset to zero and everyone was on a level playing field then that would have been representative of users. As it is it's anything but, and as such is a joke.

Sort of those who received rep in the past will receive rep now. I do not think that will change.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

i understand even though i have been here only 9 months. but it does seem to add up fast. in 3 - 6 months they will be much higher i expect -

Arthur Brain

Sort of those who received rep in the past will receive rep now. I do not think that will change.

It's not a case of that changing. Your own rep score is impossibly high if the same rep power applied to everybody regardless since the change. It's fixed, and therefore doesn't represent anything but a joke. What's the actual point?

Arthur Brain

Are you accusing Bright Raven of cheating or being underhanded?

I'm simply pointing out the facts Tambora although it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone is aware of it. There's no way that someone could amass that score if every person here was reset to zero or even a 100 given the same rep point ratio. How have you managed to cross the 2,000 point ratio by way of?

Don't play dumb.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Your own rep score is impossibly high if the same rep power applied to everybody regardless since the change.

How do you know that BR is just not getting a bunch of rep as have I since this thing took place, I think your overreacting AB.

It's fixed, and therefore doesn't represent anything but a joke. What's the actual point?

Evidence?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I'm simply pointing out the facts Tambora although it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone is aware of it. There's no way that someone could amass that score if every person here was reset to zero or even a 100 given the rep point ratio. How have you managed to cross the 2,000 point ratio by way of?

Don't play dumb.
The same way you did long ago. I recommend it, that is by all means, rep who you like.

Rep shows approval and yes, there is a fun side of it too, so, don't be too taken by it, as it does not have to be relevant to all.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm simply pointing out the facts Tambora although it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone is aware of it. There's no way that someone could amass that score if every person here was reset to zero or even a 100 given the rep point ratio. How have you managed to cross the 2,000 point ratio by way of?

Don't play dumb.
I don't know about you, but I've gotten lots of reps from lots of folks daily.
My CP USER rep page only shows 25 reps as it scolls upward. I get about 2 pages of rep, maybe more (I haven't counted them.)
That's at least 50 reps that I get PER DAY.

The rep function is automatic. I couldn't manipulate it even if I wanted to.

Arthur Brain

How do you know that BR is just not getting a bunch of rep as have I since this thing took place, I think your overreacting AB.

Evidence?

Because if you're only able to give out one, two, three or even six or seven points out per post on a tri post basis then nobody gets to hit anything like several hundred points in the space of a handful of days RM, let alone well over a thousand. Especially when there's a rep limit in place.

Look, 'SOOTS' is no great secret and nor are the advantages of being in it. I had hoped that the reset would have been fair to all. It isn't.

Arthur Brain

I don't know about you, but I've gotten lots of reps from lots of folks daily.
My CP USER rep page only shows 25 reps as it scolls upward. I get about 2 pages of rep, maybe more (I haven't counted them.)
That's at least 50 reps that I get PER DAY.

The rep function is automatic. I couldn't manipulate it even if I wanted to.

So have I over the years, from the time when reps were worth thousands of points to the handful we've had as a rep system even before this reset. So how come you've managed to get over 2000 points in a few days when most people can only hand out a few at most even if they were to exhaust their rep allowance?

:rolleyes:

Arthur Brain

He doesn't know.
He has none.

The date of the reset was all the evidence needed...mathematically you couldn't have come anywhere near the rep you've amassed if not for 'behind the scenes' factors...

Oh, here we go.
You do realize that this site is rigged to be bias, don't you?
It's been pretty open about it's bias.

I've known about the bias of TOL for a long time now, I've been here for nine years in total after all.

Hey, enjoy your high rep Tambora if you think you've actually earned it through fair means.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So how come you've managed to get over 2000 points in a few days
I got it by many folks repping me.

I don't even know how many reps I have gotten since this reset. The page only shows 25. I can't scroll down to see how many pages I have gotten in the last few days.

In other words, I have no idea how many posts I have had repped since the reset. And neither do you.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Keeping score.......

Keeping score.......

~*~*~

Interesting AB,

However,...how can you be sure of any 'tinkering' of rep points behind the scenes, if we were all put at 'zero'. Not sure where you're finding the point value, except what green or red dots are under each user name, or what 'phrase they have" earned, showing their rep size. Does the new system also count neg reps? (not sure I've seen anyone in the red so far).

pj

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hey, enjoy your high rep Tambora if you think you've actually earned it through fair means.
I do think it was by fair means.

But no, I don't think it is because I "earned" it. I mean, how does one actually "earn" getting repped by folks?
Do you think you "earned" the ones you got?

Status
Not open for further replies.