The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

bybee

Are you taking lessons from Stripe on how to not answer questions? If so, I hope you appreciate that the more effort you put into dodging simple questions, the more it gives the impression that you're dishonestly hiding something.

Impressions are within one's own mind. I rarely hide anything.
You, apparently, labor under the illusion that I owe you answers? I post as I please.

Sitamun

Not after they were told what it resembled and not to show it to anyone else, yet persisted anyway.

From several sources I've seen, the kid didn't show it off, rather another teacher saw it in his backpack and asked about it. He told them it was a clock, the teacher then told him it looked like a bomb. If you go back and look at the picture, the case isn't all that big. Look at the power cord, you can get a size estimate from there, it definitely wasn't "suitcase" size.

rexlunae

In a locker, somewhere else, just waiting to be connected? Who knows, at any rate, the school would have been criminal not to check it out.
Spoiler

_85589586_16e23342-6ce7-4c4f-b176-88d94cf667b3.jpg

So, it's a bomb, minus the bomb part. Seriously?

I suppose you're going to lock up the kids with graphing calculators, too. That would be just as good as a trigger for a bomb.

I dont know of a lot of need for suitcase clocks, do you?

When it's made by a teenager with a soldering iron as a hobbyist project, sure. If his high school was anything like mine was, he could have taken a class where he would have built something like that on school grounds.

You could probably go to the industrial tech wing of the high school, grab a random student's electronic project, throw it in a suitcase, and get something that looks about the same as this thing did. The English teacher and the principle need remedial electronics classes if they thought this was plausibly a bomb, real or fake.

Last edited:

Jose Fly

Impressions are within one's own mind. I rarely hide anything.
You, apparently, labor under the illusion that I owe you answers? I post as I please.

At least have the guts to honestly say "I don't want to answer" rather than hiding behind childish nonsense like "Easy", and "The same criteria that you use".

fool

Hall of Fame
IF they had evacuated the school and called the bomb squad one could make the argument that they were acting out of caution.
But they didn't.
So you can't make that argument.
They didn't do that so they never thought it was a bomb.
He never said it was anything other than a clock.
They never treated it as anything other than a clock.
And yet they had him hauled of in handcuffs along with the thing that they treated like a clock because some idiot English teacher thought it looked like a bomb.
He should probably not go back to that school as those people running it are clearly morons.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So a kid took something he made to school and a teacher told him he should keep a lid on it because someone might get the wrong idea. And guess what a child did. He kept showing it to people because he was proud of it, is a kid, and knew it wasn't a bomb.

Here's what the police concluded: “The follow-up investigation revealed the device apparently was a homemade experiment, and there’s no evidence to support the perception he intended to create alarm.” Irving ISD, Chief Larry Boyd

If some genius hadn't decided to cuff him when anyone with a high school education could see with a cursory examination that it isn't a bomb we'd likely never have heard about any of this.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So a kid took something he made to school and a teacher told him he should keep a lid on it because someone might get the wrong idea. And guess what a child did. He kept showing it to people because he was proud of it, is a kid, and knew it wasn't a bomb.

Here's what the police concluded: “The follow-up investigation revealed the device apparently was a homemade experiment, and there’s no evidence to support the perception he intended to create alarm.” Irving ISD, Chief Larry Boyd

If some genius hadn't decided to cuff him when anyone with a high school education could see with a cursory examination that it isn't a bomb we'd likely never have heard about any of this.
Yup.

But wait, says the fellow who slapped on the cuffs, this is a diabolical master plan to test the response times and the discernment of the authorities in anticipation of the real thing being planned at a later date.

Images of the police chief grabbing that officer's ear with a "Come here, you..." come to mind. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

AMR

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately, he is Muslim and he has to accept that suspicions are heightened with them. The people who reported the incident were totally correct in alerting their seniors and the police. Or do we just completely ignore the fact that Muslims are the most violent religious group in the world?

this is a false positive
a deliberate plant
to embarrass our heightened suspicions about islam
we have already seen many of these
and
we will see many more
when are we going to really investigate them?
what do we know about the family?
who put him up to this?
wake up
he didn't do this on his own

Sitamun

this is a false positive
a deliberate plant
to embarrass our heightened suspicions about islam
we have already seen many of these
and
we will see many more
when are we going to really investigate them?
what do we know about the family?
who put him up to this?
wake up
he didn't do this on his own

Really? Do you have any idea how ridiculous you look right now. HE DID NOTHING WRONG. According to you should all muslims be under survellience at all times because they're suspicious and who knows what they could be up to? Don't look now but I think the Boogeyman is under your bed

Jose Fly

Then by the same logic, our default position should be to assume all Christians are plotting to bomb health care facilities and murder doctors, right?

Granite

Hall of Fame

Considering how out of control the maniacs known as cops are the kid's fortunate that's all that happened.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm pretty sure the Mayans invented the concept of zero. :p
As far as I know it came to us from the Hindus via the Arabs.
Well, the important thing is what Coke did with it. At least we can agree on that much. And that it's tasty, of course.

I was telling a friend I doubt the protocol here had anything to do with race or ethnicity, but I bet the latter came into play with the genius who decided to use handcuffs instead of making a phone call. And I'd bet the colorful exchange between that individual and his Chief, after the fact, would be highly entertaining on YouTube.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I can understand why the teacher was concerned and even why they called him into the principal's office to explain. But to call the cops, cuff, and arrest the kid? Idiocy. And to suspend him for 3 days?

All I can say is...it's Texas. And keep in mind, this isn't this town's first instance of Islamophobia.

Islamophobia: an irrational fear that your own life and the life of your family and friends and the lives of those who you are in charge of are more important to preserve than offending a peace-loving Mohammedan.

That's right: that rucksack that that Mohammedan just left by the door of the train cannot possibly be a bomb. Anybody with grade school education in hiking can see that it is just a rucksack. There is no need to be suspicious. He's obviously just forgotten it. Let's stand close by and look after it for him in case he comes back for it. We musn't offend anyone, especially not Muslims. If I reported it, I might get him into trouble.

That electronic contraption, couldn't possibly be a bomb. I feel so silly reporting it. I guess the lives of the schoolchildren are ok and we can just let this one go. It's probably nothing, he's just a boy.

The problem is that there is no need to take such risks. Why take the risk???

Originally Posted by Desert Reign
Unfortunately, he is Muslim and he has to accept that suspicions are heightened with them. The people who reported the incident were totally correct in alerting their seniors and the police. Or do we just completely ignore the fact that Muslims are the most violent religious group in the world?
Wow you haven't even hid you racism here.....

I know I used the word 'racism' once or twice here, but in a general sense. The issue is not one of race but of religion. So, having settled that you really mean that I am immorally prejudiced against a religion, I have a question for you:

You are cycling along a footpath past a zoo. Along come a couple of tigers just ambling along the way. Do you a) get off and stroke them - they are probably zoo animals used to people, b) open your backpack and throw them some food c) try to shoot them with your pistol that you happen to have with you or d) cycle off as fast as you can - their owners are probably nearby and will get them soon enough?

When choosing your answer, remember that not all tigers are violent. Some of them are very peaceful and love humans. Remember also that they are very expensive. If you shoot them, you could get sued by either animal rights activists or their owners or even put in prison as tigers are protected species.

Then by the same logic, our default position should be to assume all Christians are plotting to bomb health care facilities and murder doctors, right?

As usual, you erect a straw man. Your argument is silly. No one is saying that all Muslims are violent or are terrorists. You do love sensationalism don't you?

Last edited:

Jose Fly

That's right: that rucksack that that Mohammedan just left by the door of the train cannot possibly be a bomb. There is no need to be suspicious. He's obviously just forgotten it. Let's stand close by and look after it for him in case he comes back for it. We musn't offend anyone, especially not Muslims. If I reported it, I might get him into trouble.

What in the world are you talking about? What does that imaginary scenario have to do with the article I posted about this town's documented history of Islamophobia?

That electronic contraption, couldn't possibly be a bomb. I feel so silly reporting it. I gues the lives of the schoolchildren are ok and we can just let this one go. It's probably nothing, he's just a boy.

They never thought it was a bomb. The police have even said so.

As usual, you erect a straw man. Your argument is silly. No one is saying that all Muslims are violent or are terrorists. You do love sensationalism don't you?

Yes, I agree. Assuming the worst about a person merely because they belong to a religion that has some crazies in it is stupid. :up: