The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Alia Salem of the Council on American-Islamic Relations agreed: "This wouldn't even be a question if his name wasn't Ahmed Mohamed. He is an excited kid who is very bright and wants to share it with his teachers."

Unfortunately, he is Muslim and he has to accept that suspicions are heightened with them. The people who reported the incident were totally correct in alerting their seniors and the police. Or do we just completely ignore the fact that Muslims are the most violent religious group in the world?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm of two minds here. I understand why it was reported as suspicious, however it did not need to escalate to the kid being led out in handcuffs and detained.

Hmm. Yes, possibly. It depends on the exact circumstances. They may have handcuffed him as a precaution, not knowing whether it was a bomb or not. Or they may have been following rules too. But I agree it would have been quite appropriate to ask the tech teacher first.

homemade clocks today . . . dirty bombs tomorrow -

Well, that is prejudice! But don't go giving anyone any ideas, please, be responsible!

PureX

Unfortunately, he is Muslim and he has to accept that suspicions are heightened with them. The people who reported the incident were totally correct in alerting their seniors and the police. Or do we just completely ignore the fact that Muslims are the most violent religious group in the world?
I think as long as the 'inspection' by the authorities were carried out politely and respectfully, no harm would be done to anyone and some realistic concerns could be properly assayed. Unfortunately, it appears that the inspection was very heavy-handed, unnecessarily. And that's bound to have been somewhat traumatizing to that student.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think as long as the 'inspection' by the authorities were carried out politely and respectfully, no harm would be done to anyone and some realistic concerns could be properly assayed. Unfortunately, it appears that the inspection was very heavy-handed, unnecessarily. And that's bound to have been somewhat traumatizing to that student.

I have no idea if it was heavy handed. The report does say that the police released him when they assessed there was no threat or hoax.

Two things: I do suspect that Mr Obama is cashing on this. You have to read between the lines. 'I'm not racist like the rest of them; I love Muslims so you can still be happy in the Muslim-loving U.S. of A.' Although I can't prove it, I think he is fuelling the racism, not combatting it.
Plus, looking for a photo opportunity at the boy's expense. Is that not just as demeaning towards the boy?

Sitamun

Speaking as an armchair quarterback....

It would have been easy enough for school officials to verify what the kid said by talking to the engineering teacher. I also stated that I can easily understand why it was reported as suspicious. I just happen to think that things escalated way too quickly. If information comes out saying that the kid was being belligerent etc., I will probably change my mind.

PureX

I have no idea if it was heavy handed. The report does say that the police released him when they assessed there was no threat or hoax.

Two things: I do suspect that Mr Obama is cashing on this. You have to read between the lines. 'I'm not racist like the rest of them; I love Muslims so you can still be happy in the Muslim-loving U.S. of A.' Although I can't prove it, I think he is fuelling the racism, not combatting it.
Plus, looking for a photo opportunity at the boy's expense. Is that not just as demeaning towards the boy?
The problem with "reading between the lines" is that you read what you want to be there, instead of what is. It reveals more about the reader than the writer.

Brother Vinny

The problem with "reading between the lines" is that you read what you want to be there, instead of what is. It reveals more about the reader than the writer.

It's certainly indicative that perfect love has not yet driven out fear from the individual in question.

Adam

Hall of Fame
Two things: I do suspect that Mr Obama is cashing on this.

I firmly believe it's a little too early for the President of the United States to give the young man an open invite to the White House. He is (or was) a suspect in a crime and our judicial system has not performed it's full duty yet. It shows poor judgment on the President's part to jump in so quickly.

We, the public, only have what the media has told us and we for sure do not have all the facts.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Then we have that his engineering teacher, told him not to show it to anyone else and explained what it resembled, yet he persisted to show it to other teachers.

Its not like a clock is a new invention either, nor like they cant be made quite easily not resembling bombs.

PureX

I firmly believe it's a little too early for the President of the United States to give the young man an open invite to the White House. He is (or was) a suspect in a crime and our judicial system has not performed it's full duty yet. It shows poor judgment on the President's part to jump in so quickly.

We, the public, only have what the media has told us and we for sure do not have all the facts.
It was not a bomb. It was a clock.

That's it.

There is no "suspect" and there is no "investigation", because there was no crime, or even an intent to commit a crime.

Obama is acting quickly so that the kid and his school mates will see a positive side to what was otherwise a fairly ugly and stupid (even if necessary) molestation of a school kid and his science project by over-zealous security police.

I understand their reaction, but this time they were wrong. So Obama is trying to make it up to the kid with some positive attention. But you want to slander Obama so badly that you can't even let him make this simple gesture to an innocent kid without mud-slinging.

Sitamun

Then we have that his engineering teacher, told him not to show it to anyone else and explained what it resembled, yet he persisted to show it to other teachers.

Its not like a clock is a new invention either, nor like they cant be made quite easily not resembling bombs.

Let me relay a story, when I was in high school, the day before christmas break, a girl i knew came to school with a water bottle full of vodka. She proceeded to annoy me all day. Finally last period I showed up early and was talking to my teacher. I totally forgot she was a teacher and told her that the girl was drunk and annoying me. The girl ended up getting suspended. I felt horrible for the rest of the year. At least my name was kept out of it to the school authorities, I hated that I was a Narc, however unintentional.

The boy was proud and excited about what he had accomplished. Can you hand make a digital clock? I know I can't. Yes, he showed it to a teacher when he was told he probably shouldn't. That is NOT a crime, bad judgement in hindsight. I can't fault him for being proud of his achievement.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Let me relay a story, when I was in high school, the day before christmas break, a girl i knew came to school with a water bottle full of vodka. She proceeded to annoy me all day. Finally last period I showed up early and was talking to my teacher. I totally forgot she was a teacher and told her that the girl was drunk and annoying me. The girl ended up getting suspended. I felt horrible for the rest of the year. At least my name was kept out of it to the school authorities, I hated that I was a Narc, however unintentional.

The boy was proud and excited about what he had accomplished. Can you hand make a digital clock? I know I can't. Yes, he showed it to a teacher when he was told he probably shouldn't. That is NOT a crime, bad judgement in hindsight. I can't fault him for being proud of his achievement.

The engineering teacher, told him not to show it around anymore, he did it anyway. It was an english teacher that reported it, who he showed it to after showing it around even more, after he was told not to.

musterion

Well, the kid was well within his rights since Muslims invented the clock...algebra...the concept of zero...

rexlunae

Unfortunately, he is Muslim and he has to accept that suspicions are heightened with them.

He shouldn't "have to" accept that, nor should we stand for it.

The people who reported the incident were totally correct in alerting their seniors and the police.

Because it was a very dangerous clock?

Or do we just completely ignore the fact that Muslims are the most violent religious group in the world?

Of course we don't ignore radical Islam. But it is no help criminalizing innocent children because of what unrelated people do.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Heres a picture of it:

_85589586_16e23342-6ce7-4c4f-b176-88d94cf667b3.jpg

If nothing had been done, and it had been a bomb while being claimed to be only a clock, parents would own that school and a bunch of teachers would have been fired rightfully.