The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The problem with "reading between the lines" is that you read what you want to be there, instead of what is. It reveals more about the reader than the writer.

But it also expresses experience. I do not think by any means that the issue of a boy building his own clock is of national significance. If it is an issue of racism then that might be, but that is not why the POTUS ostensibly is inviting him. He is inviting him ostensibly because he thinks building your own clock is cool. Seriously? It's a photo opportunity for him. It is surely demeaning to all the rest of the poor kids who have built much better things or who have trained to play their musical instrument to concert standard or whatever. None of them got an invitation to the WH. This is not about me, it is common sense.

It's certainly indicative that perfect love has not yet driven out fear from the individual in question.

Are you saying that I, the individual in question, am spiritually deficient? Is that what you say to everyone you disagree with?

I firmly believe it's a little too early for the President of the United States to give the young man an open invite to the White House. He is (or was) a suspect in a crime and our judicial system has not performed it's full duty yet. It shows poor judgment on the President's part to jump in so quickly.

We, the public, only have what the media has told us and we for sure do not have all the facts.

As I said, I am outsider here, but you seem right to me.

Then we have that his engineering teacher, told him not to show it to anyone else and explained what it resembled, yet he persisted to show it to other teachers.

Its not like a clock is a new invention either, nor like they cant be made quite easily not resembling bombs.

Thanks for the information. Why did the teacher not want him to show it to others? Did he really think it looked like a bomb?

It was not a bomb. It was a clock.

That's it.

There is no "suspect" and there is no "investigation", because there was no crime, or even an intent to commit a crime.
It doesn't matter what it was. It matters what it looked like. Because the issue in hand is not whether it is right to make a home-made clock or to make a home-made bomb. I am sure we are all agreed on the answer to that question; that is beyond debate. The issue is the reaction of those involved.

Obama is acting quickly so that the kid and his school mates will see a positive side to what was otherwise a fairly ugly and stupid (even if necessary) molestation of a school kid and his science project by over-zealous security police.
Could this just be you reading between the lines???

I understand their reaction, but this time they were wrong. So Obama is trying to make it up to the kid with some positive attention. But you want to slander Obama so badly that you can't even let him make this simple gesture to an innocent kid without mud-slinging.
No. He chose him precisely because he was a Muslim. And that is just as much an expression of religious prejudice.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And if it had been a bomb unchallenged? Are you going to claim that no kids have brought bombs to schools?
It is now a chance for our president to show wherein his sympathies lie. Isn't that special....

He's trying to prove that all religions are harmless, especially Islam (because he thinks that if he is nice to Muslims, they will be nice back to him and would never again do something like 9/11 and this is his way of saying sorry to Muslims in general for the horrible things we must have done to them to deserve being attacked on that lamentable day), that all political views are acceptable and that it is wrong to criticise people for these reasons.

Head in the sand in my view. But then again Americans voted for him...

Like I said Angel, a basic inspection shows that it is obviously not a bomb. You are also forgetting that many of us stated that we understand and even agree with the one teachers initial alarm. The kid did nothing wrong. Was he warned that he shouldn't show it to anyone else, but the fact that he did is not criminal. Was it ill advised? Probably, but he's a proud teen who was doing nothing wrong. Teens brag about their exploits and achievements all the time, especially the illegal ones, so why are there people so quick to vilify this kid?

Well, I for one am not villifying him. But the issue is still, was it right to take him into custody and what was the POTUS doing inviting him to the WH?

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
He's trying to prove that all religions are harmless

Jeanne Dixon's mind-reading abilities have got nothing on yours.:cheers:

especially Islam (because he thinks that if he is nice to Muslims, they will be nice back to him and would never again do something like 9/11 and this is his way of saying sorry to Muslims in general for the horrible things we must have done to them to deserve being attacked on that lamentable day)

We have done and continue to do horrible things throughout the Middle East. It's anathema in this country to admit as much but it's the truth.

PureX

But it also expresses experience. I do not think by any means that the issue of a boy building his own clock is of national significance.
Nothing about this story was of national significance. These days, almost no news story is news. It's just more "infotainment" intended to keep people's eyes on the ads. And the news outlets couldn't care less how their infotainment effects the lives of the people involved, or the nation in general. Because all they care about is selling advertisement time for as much money as they can get. And that depends on ratings.
If it is an issue of racism then that might be, but that is not why the POTUS ostensibly is inviting him.
I can't imagine how you could possibly know why the president chooses to do something of a personal nature, like this, apart from him telling you. Which I don't believe he has done.
He is inviting him ostensibly because he thinks building your own clock is cool. Seriously?
You don't think he was saying that for the benefit of Amhed? And of kids in general? To whom building an electronic clock would, indeed, be a "cool" thing to do?
It's a photo opportunity for him.
Yes, but far more importantly it's a photo opportunity for Ahmed. And one that directly contradicts those photos of him being led out of his class in hand cuffs, in from of the other kids.

Everything Obama does in public is a "photo opportunity". You really think he needs another one to add to the 10,000 photos he's already had taken of him? Or isn't it far more likely that he's doing this for the kid. Not himself. So that the world, and especially Ahmed's peers, will see him in a positive light, as opposed to seeing him being dragged from class in hand cuffs?

Or has your own bias made it impossible for you to even conceive of the idea that Obama might do something for someone else's sake, and not his own?
It is surely demeaning to all the rest of the poor kids who have built much better things or who have trained to play their musical instrument to concert standard or whatever. None of them got an invitation to the WH. This is not about me, it is common sense.
None of them were dragged from their class in hand cuffs while news reporters snapped photos for all the world to gawk at and express their bigotry over. That's the difference. And that's why I believe Obama invited this particular kid to the White House - so that all the world could also see that he's a good kid, that did nothing wrong. And especially so that all those other kids could see this, too.

Sitamun

I didn't see Obama say that's why he invited him to the WH. Do you have a quote?

I think he's "reading between the lines" again...

Two months after 9/11, my step brother, who at the time was about the same age as the kid here, had a genius idea to pack a realistic looking cap gun in his carry on luggage. While going through security, TSA found it. When he was asked about it, he proceeded to be a smart mouth. Even through all that, my step brother was not subjected to what this kid was.

Do I think it's possible that this kids coloring and religion caused a "bigger" response than necessary from authorities? Yes I think it's possible. Please remember, I said possible, not a fact. I believe the president acted fast to invite the kid because 1. He did nothing wrong 2. To not detour the kids interest and 3. Mitigate any possible damage IF race and/or religion played a part.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I didn't see Obama say that's why he invited him to the WH. Do you have a quote?

Learn to read.

Jeanne Dixon's mind-reading abilities have got nothing on yours.:cheers:
Glad you agree. Join my fan club today!

We have done and continue to do horrible things throughout the Middle East. It's anathema in this country to admit as much but it's the truth.
This may be so. But even if you were to be cleaner than clean, it will not change what Muslims think of you. Apologising will probably cause you to lose respect, not to gain it. They will treat it like an invitation to bring Sharia to America.

Me included. Unfortunately I cast my vote to cancel out Glenn Beck's. Otherwise I would retroactively dedicate it to you.

Thanks. You can join my fan club too.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
This may be so. But even if you were to be cleaner than clean, it will not change what Muslims think of you.

Oh, well. That's a relief: An American telling an American what Muslims everywhere around the world think of us. What with this kind of one-on-one we don't have to even broaden our horizons or do much thinking anymore, amirite?

Apoogising lwill probably cause you to lose respect, not to gain it.

Interesting theory; safe bet, considering we don't "do" apologies, what with being America and all.

They will treat it like an invitation to bring Sharia to America.

Yep, there's that word again. The only people coming even close to trying this kind of scripturally-inspired theocratic nonsense are Christians, DR. Not all of 'em, of course. But both sides have stone throwers.

The JBS was convinced communists organized in small, loosely-knit cells, met in living rooms and basements, and hid behind the facade of suburban America...just like the Birchers did. The Klan despised and scorned the pomp and circumstance of Jewry and the papacy, and created their own pageantry. And so on.

Jose Fly

Yes, exactly. I never said it was anything more than that. I am after all entitled to my opinion.

But what is that opinion based on? This was the extent of Obama's tweet...

Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It’s what makes America great.

How in the world did you get "Obama chose him precisely because he was a Muslim" out of that?

bybee

Oh my gosh! The presidents sympathies lie with a teen with a keen interest in technology and engineering! Oh noes!! The sky is falling! Next thing Sharia Law!

Let's read the story before flying off the handle.

I don't believe I did fly off the handle?
You would know if I did.

bybee

But what is that opinion based on? This was the extent of Obama's tweet...

Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It’s what makes America great.

How in the world did you get "Obama chose him precisely because he was a Muslim" out of that?

Easy

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
There's nothing in there that looks like a bomb. Nothing. Where are the explosives supposed to be?

In a locker, somewhere else, just waiting to be connected? Who knows, at any rate, the school would have been criminal not to check it out.

_85589586_16e23342-6ce7-4c4f-b176-88d94cf667b3.jpg

I dont know of a lot of need for suitcase clocks, do you?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Like I said Angel, a basic inspection shows that it is obviously not a bomb. You are also forgetting that many of us stated that we understand and even agree with the one teachers initial alarm. The kid did nothing wrong. Was he warned that he shouldn't show it to anyone else, but the fact that he did is not criminal. Was it ill advised? Probably, but he's a proud teen who was doing nothing wrong. Teens brag about their exploits and achievements all the time, especially the illegal ones, so why are there people so quick to vilify this kid?

Not after they were told what it resembled and not to show it to anyone else, yet persisted anyway.

Jose Fly

The same criteria that you use....

Are you taking lessons from Stripe on how to not answer questions? If so, I hope you appreciate that the more effort you put into dodging simple questions, the more it gives the impression that you're dishonestly hiding something.