The cigar lounge

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Gentlemen! What an awesome topic.

I love a good cigar. My favorites the past couple years have been made by Don Peppin [yes, he makes that Tatuaje's]. Hard to pick a favorite, but a full-bodied Nicaraguan is always my first choice.

:BillyBob:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Gentlemen! What an awesome topic.

I love a good cigar. My favorites the past couple years have been made by Don Peppin [yes, he makes that Tatuaje's]. Hard to pick a favorite, but a full-bodied Nicaraguan is always my first choice.

Nicaraguan's are my choice also...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
ard to pick a favorite, but a full-bodied Nicaraguan is always my first choice.

Whoa!!! Really??

Me too!

There are not many cigars on the face of the earth that can compete with a Padron.

I have found a cheap cigar that's kind of similar. The Mucielago. I know what you are saying... Knight... that's not cheap. But they almost always feature them on cigar monster at a ridiculously low price. (in fact they are on sale there right now!)

Another great alternative is the Cubao. Both the Murcielago and the the Cubao are made by Don Pepin. And we all know that Don's son Jamie makes one of the best cigars in the whole world, the My Father. YUM!!

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Whoa!!! Really??

Me too!

There are not many cigars on the face of the earth that can compete with a Padron.

I have found a cheap cigar that's kind of similar. The Mucielago. I know what you are saying... Knight... that's not cheap. But they almost always feature them on cigar monster at a ridiculously low price. (in fact they are on sale there right now!)

Another great alternative is the Cubao. Both the Murcielago and the the Cubao are made by Don Pepin. And we all know that Don's son Jamie makes one of the best cigars in the whole world, the My Father. YUM!!

I still have not tried the "My Father" cigars yet, I will but, right now the wife and I are about to sink a large sum into the house (ouch) so I am watching my spending at least until it's done.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Out in the man cave having a good stogie and a glass of port, listening to the rain beat on the roof. I have jury duty tomorrow that's why I am out on a school night but, what a nice evening for a good smoke. :cigar:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Nobody seems to come here anymore but, I am determined to keep this thread alive. :chuckle:

O.K. I am enjoying a really awesome creamy, nutty, stogie that I was given for my birthday which was in Jan. but, I wanted to wait until I had the time to enjoy it. I was also given an expensive bottle of port to enjoy it with so I will tell of both. The cigar is an AVO XO which is just a fantastic cigar, if you see them they are worth the money. They are mild so if your going to a cigar bar and plan to have more than one, this is a great first cigar followed by a more robust maduro. The drink is a bottle of "Six Grapes Reserve Porto" and awesome port wine which marries well with this cigar. Anyway, I hope you all get a chance to try this cigar and if you do tell us about it in the cigar lounge thread. :D

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

One of the Padron's was Cigar Journal smoke of the year for 2011. I don't remember which one. That is the publication from which I recently posted the scan of a cartoon with that do-gooder claiming smoking and drinking is a sin and he didn't do it.

Last edited:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Alright, my first cigar for the thread, finally bought a cigar instead of pipe tobacco at the store for once. (I didnt really need any more pipe tobacco anyway)

It was a 777 maduro. Bought it yesterday, 4.99 or 5.99 cant remember. Read some reviews of it last night, smoked it just now, after work. Reviews I read were mixed, a few people complained that it burned uneven and/or tunneled. Mine burned fine right to the end, a bit uneven at the start at one point of the wrapper but it evened out quick. Lasted just a few minutes under an hour. Been a long time since I had a real cigar, but this one was good. I'm not good at describing the taste, I'll just say it was like I remember maduros, strong flavored but good. I dont think it was as good as I remember a Macanudo maduro being, but I liked it a lot anyway. It was 5" * >3/4" I'd say. I made some sweet smoke rings with it. :) I'd buy it again, but I'll probably experiment a lot first. Nice change from my usual pipe stuff.

So, there you go. :)

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Alright, my first cigar for the thread, finally bought a cigar instead of pipe tobacco at the store for once. (I didnt really need any more pipe tobacco anyway)

It was a 777 maduro. Bought it yesterday, 4.99 or 5.99 cant remember. Read some reviews of it last night, smoked it just now, after work. Reviews I read were mixed, a few people complained that it burned uneven and/or tunneled. Mine burned fine right to the end, a bit uneven at the start at one point of the wrapper but it evened out quick. Lasted just a few minutes under an hour. Been a long time since I had a real cigar, but this one was good. I'm not good at describing the taste, I'll just say it was like I remember maduros, strong flavored but good. I dont think it was as good as I remember a Macanudo maduro being, but I liked it a lot anyway. It was 5" * >3/4" I'd say. I made some sweet smoke rings with it. :) I'd buy it again, but I'll probably experiment a lot first. Nice change from my usual pipe stuff.

So, there you go. :)
I smoke plenty of maduros. Always like these wrappers and glad you enjoyed yours.

AMR

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Excellent review. :up: I haven't had a 777 yet but I have been meaning to try one.

I mainly smoke maduros, because I like a strong, full bodied smoke.

Chewy smoke is the best. :thumb:

Cigar smoking is an experience...or should be. It is an occasion.

The following is from a website called cigarsdirect. Maybe you've seen it. It is an excellent description of why we smoke cigars. I apologize for the length, but I think it is well worth the read!

We all go through the dance, and an elegant one at that, of our preparation. We inspect the cigar, with all of our senses. How does it feel? How does it smell? Does it look fit to smoke? Maybe you give it a little pre-lit taste. I know a cigar may not be so audible before you light it and hear some slight or light crackles as it burns, but it definitely tells you a story of its journey. From the little seed that was tended and sheltered into a larger plant to be transplanted into the fields. From that larger tobacco plant tended, again by hand, until harvested, again by hand. Then the long process of aging and fermenting to relieve the leaf of most of the harsh chemicals, like ammonia and nicotine, and to achieve the quality taste and aroma we all love. Then the skilled hands of a Torcedor, or cigar roller, to create that lovely package that is aged once again to allow the flavours of the different tobaccos blended to marry, or join into make one consistent flavour. Once aged again that tobacco could have made a journey that has taken it half way around the world, or just within one country as with a puro, or cigar made from only one country, or one regions tobaccos. Now that we have heard this cigars story we go ahead with the rest of our dance. We all find a way to cut our cigar, and there is no real right or wrong way, just the way that we feel as maybe the most elegant, or the most readily available. So, we grab our guillotine cutter, or what ever is most readily available, and have at the cap, or head of the cigar. Now we are ready to light up the foot and almost any flame would do, but we are aficionados and we chose to use a flame that will not impart its own flavour on our precious cigar. So we reach for a wooden match, or a cedar spill, (a thin piece of cedar cut small to allow for lighting and holding) or a butane lighter is completely acceptable. As we toast the end of the cigar and then fully light it we can now once again go through the senses as they may have changed. What new aromas do you smell? A new taste is brought by the smoke. The smoke and cigar look different as well. Feel the slight heat from the lit end and listen to the faint crackle as the cigar burns.

As we continue along this path, we now know that smoking a cigar is an occasion in itself, and the only occasion we need to fully appreciate it. But we still didn’t answer why we smoke. Maybe that answer still is as simple as “At least I’m not smoking cigarettes.” Or, “It gives me time to relax.” But I’m sure there is more to it.

The reason I smoke cigars is for any occasion, and maybe the occasion of the ‘cigar dance’ is reason or occasion enough, but there is more than just that cigar. There is also the company you’re with, or the occasion to light up that expensive cigar you’ve been aging for the last three years, waiting for the perfect time to smoke it. Maybe you find yourself in the corner cigar retailer or your favorite website (like cigarsdirect.com) after completing that big project or closing the big sale and want a little treat. Maybe you need a box to accommodate the next poker game you attend or maybe you are going to be a proud father (or mother) and want to celebrate. But, there is still another reason, or occasion we smoke cigars and some you may not have thought of yet. Why not smoke a good cigar to calm the thought of losing the big account. Maybe you’re saving one of your favorite cigars not just for your anniversary this year, but you’re aging one for, God forbid, the passing of your spouse so that after the funeral, that cigar floods the memories of all the times you passed over that one for another cigar. And those memories in which that smoke holds will help remember the good times. Maybe that smoking buddy is your best friend, so why not celebrate his life by smoking his favorite cigar? Why not just celebrate life itself? And the time spent being able to appreciate that cigar and the ‘cigar dance’ with occasion enough just by your self in meditation and ‘stealing away’ a couple of hours from work, and the hustle of life.

Kind of sums it all up. :D

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Chewy smoke is the best. :thumb:

Cigar smoking is an experience...or should be. It is an occasion.

The following is from a website called cigarsdirect. Maybe you've seen it. It is an excellent description of why we smoke cigars. I apologize for the length, but I think it is well worth the read!

Kind of sums it all up. :D

Sums it up for me, thanks Vegas :thumb:

Anyone for a dance? :D

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I mainly smoke maduros, because I like a strong, full bodied smoke.

So do I. Like smoke a good amount of Rocky Patel's Indian Tabac Tomahawk Maduro because they are cheap. But I think they are also really good for the price.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So do I. Like smoke a good amount of Rocky Patel's Indian Tabac Tomahawk Maduro because they are cheap. But I think they are also really good for the price.
I had a Indian Tabac and it had a dreadful draw, I have avoided them ever since.

To me the best cheap maduro is the Murciealgo or the Pinar Del Rio Sellection. They both have a great draw and near perfect burn. Deep creamy flavor with lots of thick white smoke.

And actually the base line Padron maduro such as the 2000 are not all that expensive and they are amazing.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How do I reconstitute a dried out cigar?
Very slowly.

It's never happened to me but here are some thought's from folks with experience...

Patience is the name of the game when it comes to restoring cigars that have been dried out due to a lack of humidification. Time and a slow re-hydrating process are the two essential elements required to restore the cigars to their original state. Start by placing the cigars in a sealed box for a few days to allow them to breathe and adjust to their environment. After a few days, introduce your humidifier to the environment with a partially filled humidifier. Let the cigars rest and re-adjust to the new environment. Repeat this process during the course of the next few weeks until the cigars are supple to the touch. WARNING: Remember to be patient! If you introduce the cigars to an environment with too much humidity (like your already-charged humidor) you will shock the tobacco and it will cause the cigars to absorb too much humidity causing the wrappers to burst and you'll end up with cigars that will never be usable.

elohiym

Bummer. Do you read that to mean I should not just stick a new humipak into my 30 day humidor ziplock? I don't have a humidor to partially fill. :(

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Bummer. Do you read that to mean I should not just stick a new humipak into my 30 day humidor ziplock? I don't have a humidor to partially fill. :(
Here is what you might try....

Place the cigars in the zip lock and wait a day or two. Then, place the humidipak in the ziplock with the cigars. Remove the humidipak after one day. Wait another day and place the humidipak pack in the ziplock. This time leave it in there for 2 days. Remove it again and keep slowly extending the time the humidipak is in with the cigars until finally after a couple weeks you can leave the humidipak in with the cigars permanently.

It's worth a shot.

elohiym

Here is what you might try....

Place the cigars in the zip lock and wait a day or two. Then, place the humidipak in the ziplock with the cigars. Remove the humidipak after one day. Wait another day and place the humidipak pack in the ziplock. This time leave it in there for 2 days. Remove it again and keep slowly extending the time the humidipak is in with the cigars until finally after a couple weeks you can leave the humidipak in with the cigars permanently.

It's worth a shot.

Brilliant! And when I take the humipak out of the cigar bag I will put it into an empty sealed ziplock to preserve the humipak. I'll pick up a humipak, give it a try, and report back with the results.

Thanks! :thumb: