The cigar lounge

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
ROTFL That's awesome!! :rotfl:

We had a great Memorial Day. Started off early preparing the ribs and cleaning out the smoker. Placed the ribs in the smoker and then me and my son Dominic had a Padron and coffee, that was really great. Then I went to visit my dad who is currently being treated for pneumonia in the hospital. He served two front line tours in Korea so Memorial Day with him is extra special (the stuff he went through on the front line is mind boggling). Then later we had friends and family over for dinner and a fire. By the end of the day I was pretty beat but it was an awesome day.

:chuckle: I'm sorry I could not help myself with the pic. My mother-in law absolutely is enamoured with "The most Interesting Man" and she brought that full size cardboard cut out she had over yesterday saying "it was her date". My boys actually only know the image from TOL so, they call it Knight which is pretty funny. My oldest, Daniel, comes to me and says "Grandma brought Knight to the Bar-B-Q daddy" :chuckle: thats where I decided to get some mileage out of of it. I'm glad you liked it. I am sorry to hear your Dad is ill, I will pray for his speedy recovery and tell him thank you for his service, he's a hero in my book. I'm glad you and your family had a wonderful day also. :cheers:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My boys actually only know the image from TOL so, they call it Knight which is pretty funny. My oldest, Daniel, comes to me and says "Grandma brought Knight to the Bar-B-Q daddy"
:rotfl: I've heard some funny things in my life but THAT is hilarious! :rotfl:

elohiym

My Padrons arrived today. Sadly, it's raining out, so I will not be smoking one tonight (I think).

These cigars come individually wrapped in plastic. Do I unwrap them and put them in the Humi-Zip, or put them in wrapped?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
My Padrons arrived today. Sadly, it's raining out, so I will not be smoking one tonight (I think).

These cigars come individually wrapped in plastic. Do I unwrap them and put them in the Humi-Zip, or put them in wrapped?

I personally do not take off the cellophane until I am ready to enjoy them. The cellophane protects the cigar from being damaged, some people remove them, or clip the ends of the cellophane to allow better humidification but, it is really just preference. I hope you enjoy those Padron's they are a fine cigar. :D

Newman

I had some Dunhill Nightcap pipe tobacco last night and was very impressed with the flavors.

Smooth and mellow on the palate with a flowery finish. The hotter it got, it developed an almond taste along with it.

Mmm MM!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Rocketman is right there is no right answer to the cellophane thing. I take my cellophane off and here is why.... mail order cigar outlets tend to over humidify their cigars greatly. They do it because they don't know for certain how long it will be until those cigars find their way into the customers humidifier. Therefore by over humidifying them they will be safe from drying out for a longer period of time. That's why cigars from mail order outlets tend to be fairly mushy when you get them. That's also why cigars from mail order place are even better after a few weeks of sitting in your own humidor. So, I take off the cellophane to more quickly acclimate the cigar to my RH and more quickly prepare it for smoking.

However, that being said.... a Padron cigar will be great regardless because they are so well made.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I had some Dunhill Nightcap pipe tobacco last night and was very impressed with the flavors.

Smooth and mellow on the palate with a flowery finish. The hotter it got, it developed an almond taste along with it.

Mmm MM!
What? No pictures? :idunno:

:D

elohiym

However, that being said.... a Padron cigar will be great regardless because they are so well made.

Great information. Thanks, Knight and Rocketman.

I just took all the wrappers off and placed the Padrons back into the Humi-Zip.

My wife was chomping at the bit to try these last night. It's still raining. Might have to smoke 'em in the woodshed today. :think:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My wife was chomping at the bit to try these last night. It's still raining. Might have to smoke 'em in the woodshed today. :think:
I say be patient and try to wait for a good moment to smoke your cigars. Nothing can ruin a cigar smoking session quicker than bad weather. The other day I tried to smoke in the wind and it was a waste of a cigar.

Cigar smoking is about more than the cigar itself. It's about creating memories. The more you can relax... the more you will enjoy your cigar. Save the "cheapy" cigars for less than perfect weather situations. :D

elohiym

Cigar smoking is about more than the cigar itself. It's about creating memories. The more you can relax... the more you will enjoy your cigar.

Must be intuitive because that is what I essentially said to my wife last night. :chuckle:

It was dark out, rainy, and we had about an hour until bed. She wanted to smoke.

No way would that have been relaxing.

I really need to relax.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Must be intuitive because that is what I essentially said to my wife last night. :chuckle:

It was dark out, rainy, and we had about an hour until bed. She wanted to smoke.

No way would that have been relaxing.

I really need to relax.
Good call.

But I must admit... I think it's really cool that your wife is so excited about trying a cigar. :up:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
In short, we enjoyed the Padron. :D

We made our way to the woodshed a few hours ago. No wind. Occasional drizzle. I used a bees wax candle to toast the cigar and light it. Figured it would eliminate potential burning wood flavor from matches, or the taste of butane from a lighter. Worked good.

I was able to really get the flavors on my tongue. Peppery is a good description. Letting a little pass through my sinuses gave an interesting flavor as well. I drank unsweetened green tea and cold water, which worked out fine; and my wife drank Fat Tire and liked the combination.

We'll do this again for sure. Picks of our date below:

O.K, this is awesome that you have enjoyed a fine cigar with the wife. I have not heard you tell us what the wife thought of this experience. If you tell me she liked it and wants to share one with you again I am jealous. My wife will come out into the man cave and sip wine with me while I partake of a fine stogie but, wants no part of the stogie itself. So! does she, or doesn't she this is the question. Either way it is way cool that she was a trooper and tried it...:thumb:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Real women do not smoke cigars.

Especially in woodsheds. . .

Nang

Now that is kind of a lousy thing to say Nang, who are you to judge? This thread is for those that enjoy partaking in cigars, pipes, and fine tobacco in general. If your here to criticize, judge, or stir up strife than Beat It! your not welcome. If you want to be part of the conversation than by all means grab a cigar and join us. Your choice.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Now that is kind of a lousy thing to say Nang, who are you to judge? This thread is for those that enjoy partaking in cigars, pipes, and fine tobacco in general. If your here to criticize, judge, or stir up strife than Beat It! your not welcome. If you want to be part of the conversation than by all means grab a cigar and join us. Your choice.

Bah. . .

Real women do not smoke cigars.

Nang

Nang

TOL Subscriber
No intent on my part to be rude, Knight.

Just testing to see how you would react to someone interfering with the spirit of one of your threads.

Seems you are intolerant.

But you do not hesitate to allow others to abuse and rudely interfere with threads started for serious theological discussion on TOL amongst Christian members. (i.e. Lon's "Our Triune God" thread.)

Irksome, isn't it?

:mock: Knight

elohiym

O.K, this is awesome that you have enjoyed a fine cigar with the wife. I have not heard you tell us what the wife thought of this experience.

PM me if you like. I'm not going to expose my wife to any more unjustified ridicule here. That isn't going to create the nostalgia I was hoping for, and it's definitely not relaxing.

Thanks again to you and Knight for helping us get started with cigars. We both apprciate the tips and cigar and drink recommendations.

We'll take it from here on our own. :e4e: