The cigar lounge

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
O.K. tonight I decided to have one of my favorite cigars the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Signature. Elo you will see in the pic about a 1" ash in the ash tray and about a 3/4" on the cigar. Now I could have probably held the whole thing but, I didn't really want it in my lap or on the computer keys so I dropped it at about 1". Man, this is a great cigar, one of my favorites...

View attachment 16416

elohiym

Nice.

Can cigars "canoe" like hand rolled cigarettes? Yours looks like it has a nice even burn there. I imagine that if one does a poor job of lighting the cigar, or perhaps if the cigar is of lower quality, that it may not burn so even.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Nice.

Can cigars "canoe" like hand rolled cigarettes? Yours looks like it has a nice even burn there. I imagine that if one does a poor job of lighting the cigar, or perhaps if the cigar is of lower quality, that it may not burn so even.

Yes, they can canoe, usually because of a bad roll. You are also correct in that it is usually poor quality, good cigars burn as shown in the pic and that one burned like that to the nub. I have never had a Fuente cigar canoe on me, they are constructed to a pretty high standard as are many of the premium brands like Fuente, Padron, Davidoff, etc.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, they can canoe, usually because of a bad roll. You are also correct in that it is usually poor quality, good cigars burn as shown in the pic and that one burned like that to the nub. I have never had a Fuente cigar canoe on me, they are constructed to a pretty high standard as are many of the premium brands like Fuente, Padron, Davidoff, etc.
Yup! And the bane of all cigar smoking when outdoors is windy weather or fans that will canoe a smoke quickly if you are not studious in keeping it rotated often or protected.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What do you mean by "keeping it rotated," AMR?
When sitting near a fan, as I am now, smoking a fine cigar, one needs to rotate the item such that the winds from the fan do not cool one side of the cigar and lead to the canoe effect.

AMR

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh, they smoke better when you don't ash it every couple of minutes. That can't be disputed.

elohiym

The tracking label from CI states my Padrons will not be here until next Tuesday.

But at least they're on the way. :)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Finally got to try my Trinidad today. Excellent smoke, lots of flavor and good construction, I will rate it a 89.

62f5db00-1e4b-b101.jpg

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh, they smoke better when you don't ash it every couple of minutes. That can't be disputed.
Actually, I mean that I turn the cigar around in my mouth or my hands so that any winds blowing on it are evenly distributed. Leaving it in one's hand or mouth without doing so in the presence of winds will cause it to canoe as the wind cools the side facing the force of the winds.

Think rotating rotisserie. ;)

AMR

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Just went and got another 2oz bag of Edwards "Special Balkan" pipe tobacco. I think next time I'm going to pull the trigger and get a big bag, I love this stuff. :)
"Edwards Supreme" is more mellow but it rocks too. If you like sweeter stuff Edwards "Pirates Den" is really good.
lol, Im not a very sophisticated critic in describing these, but I like them a lot and want to share the love. If you have an Edwards store nearby I suggest trying some of these out. Buy a cheap corncob pipe if you're new to pipes, and the guys at the store will help you with the basics, and/or you can PM me and I'll share my tricks. A 2oz bag of house tobacco runs about 6.00 to 8.00, and is good for 10-ish bowls in my experience.

Corncob pipes are cheap and dont look very sophisticated, but they actually smoke great. :) I have a clay pipe I like a lot too, but they arent as easy to find.

And to be a team player, I'm going to look back at this thread and find a popular cigar or two to try, I used to buy Macanudos and Punches, but its been a long while. I have some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket. :)

/salute

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Finally got to try my Trinidad today. Excellent smoke, lots of flavor and good construction, I will rate it a 89.

62f5db00-1e4b-b101.jpg

That is about what I would give it. I too enjoyed it, I have one more I'll try it in the future and see if I get the same experience.

elohiym

Where do you smoke and why?

And what are the pros and cons of smoking outside versus inside, aside from the obvious (odor)?

I picked up a Humi-Zip yesterday. It has a Humidipak in it. Says it will last for 30 days. Also bought a cigar trimmer.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Where do you smoke and why?

And what are the pros and cons of smoking outside versus inside, aside from the obvious (odor)?
The most fun way to smoke is at a cigar bar with friends, that way you can order interesting and fun pairing beverages (that's the exciting way to smoke). But my favorite place to smoke is outdoors at my house, much less smell and very soothing (that's the relaxing way to smoke).

I picked up a Humi-Zip yesterday. It has a Humidipak in it. Says it will last for 30 days. Also bought a cigar trimmer.
You are well on your way to awesomeness.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Actually, I mean that I turn the cigar around in my mouth or my hands so that any winds blowing on it are evenly distributed. Leaving it in one's hand or mouth without doing so in the presence of winds will cause it to canoe as the wind cools the side facing the force of the winds.

Think rotating rotisserie. ;)

AMR

I wasn't talking about rotating cigars, which I do without sitting in front of fan. But your point is still valid.

I just came in to post a picture I found.

View attachment 16421

Last edited:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
To all those who have served this country so valiantly I raise my glass and cigar to you! You are the unsung heros of America and truly the best of who we are as a people...Tonight a Brickhouse out on the patio after a big Bar-B-Q with my Dad & Mom, and many other family members, too many to mention names about 20 people. Memorial Day is pretty huge at my house, my Dad is a retired Col., West Point grad, Vietnam Vet (fighter pilot), we also celebrate 4 birthdays during the week so, we really lay down the vittles and wine to celebrate after a rather somber prayer of rememberance of those who have fallen. Those we knew and those we didn't...

View attachment 16422

Knight I'm glad you could make it for the festivity's, your kind of overdressed though. :chuckle: How about an artichoke grilled over red oak before dinner?

View attachment 16423View attachment 16424

I hope everyone had a blessed Memorial Day.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight I'm glad you could make it for the festivity's, your kind of overdressed though. :chuckle:
ROTFL That's awesome!! :rotfl:

I hope everyone had a blessed Memorial Day.
We had a great Memorial Day. Started off early preparing the ribs and cleaning out the smoker. Placed the ribs in the smoker and then me and my son Dominic had a Padron and coffee, that was really great. Then I went to visit my dad who is currently being treated for pneumonia in the hospital. He served two front line tours in Korea so Memorial Day with him is extra special (the stuff he went through on the front line is mind boggling). Then later we had friends and family over for dinner and a fire. By the end of the day I was pretty beat but it was an awesome day.