The cigar lounge

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This has become my Friday routine.

62f5db00-a61f-d6a3.jpg

HisServant

After my trip to cuba and aquiring a bunch of hand rolled cigars from cubans that live in the fields and tend to the tobacco plants... I lost my taste for pretty much any non-cuban cigars... I wish they would let me back into Cuba, but went in on a missions/humanitarian visa and nobody from my group has been able to gain readmission.

I came back with about a dozen hand rolled cigars (all sizes) and 3-4 (cant remember exact number) boxes of cohebas that i carefully kept in my humidor for as long as I could...

When I have a chance to smoke these days.. I have a box of arturo fuente hemingway signature cigars I have been keeping in my humidor.. (Mostly golfing or working in the yard).

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
After my trip to cuba and aquiring a bunch of hand rolled cigars from cubans that live in the fields and tend to the tobacco plants... I lost my taste for pretty much any non-cuban cigars... I wish they would let me back into Cuba, but went in on a missions/humanitarian visa and nobody from my group has been able to gain readmission.

Cam back with about a dozen hand rolled cigars (all sizes) and 3-4 boxes of cohebas that i carefully kept in my humidor for as long as I could...

When I have a chance to smoke these days.. I have a box of arturo fuente hemingway signature cigars I have been keeping in my humidor.. (Mostly golfing or working in the yard).
Great story. I plan to smoke some cubans when I go to Mexico in October.

Have you have any Padrons? I think they match up to any cigar on the face of the planet.

HisServant

Great story. I plan to smoke some cubans when I go to Mexico in October.

Have you have any Padrons? I think they match up to any cigar on the face of the planet.

Nope.. I'll have to check them out next time I am in the market for a new box... thanks for the tip!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Nope.. I'll have to check them out next time I am in the market for a new box... thanks for the tip!
A Padron 5000 or 7000 is a fantastic smoke for a reasonable price. If you really want to go "all out" get a Padron 1964 Anniversario, it will change your cigar smoking life.

elohiym

What would be the best cigar for me to smoke for my first cigar smoking experience?

(low to high price ranges, please)

I know nada about cigars.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Assuming I could afford either, why might I choose the Padron 1964 over the regular Padron?
The main difference is longer aged tobacco therefore the 1964 has a bit more complex flavor profile than the regular Padron. Also the Anniversario Padron's are only made by a small percentage of the Padron staff who are the best of the best when it comes to making a cigar therefore the construction and burn will be premium. However, I have personally never smoked a bad Padron regardless of the type.

One thing I LOVE about Padron's is the taste the tobacco has on my tongue. Not just the flavor of the smoke but literally the flavor of the tobacco on my tongue. Many cigars will taste bland like paper and rely solely on the flavor of the smoke for enjoyment. Not the Padron, it has a sweet-ish (but not sugary) flavor on your tongue, it's truly fantastic.

I'm thinking of going with the absolute best, because that will leave me no doubt about whether or not I like smoking cigars.
That's what I did as well. It's a good, logical strategy.

Oh, and what beverages would go good with that? A Cabernet? Fat Tire? :idunno:
This is something that is highly subjective. And furthermore there are many choices that are good, there is no right or wrong answer.

- Beer
- Wine (especially Port)
- Scotch
- Mixed drinks
- Water

However, for a beginner I would suggest something that cleanses your palette as you smoke. A mojito is a great choice because it is minty and does a great job cleansing the palette.

Coffee is also good if you want to avoid an alcoholic drink.

I wouldn't bother me if you did. Frankly, if you had an affiliate link I would prefer to buy them through your affiliate link. I'm rather impressed with your collection of BANS sites, too.
Thank you! :up:

Son of Jack

This is something that is highly subjective. And furthermore there are many choices that are good, there is no right or wrong answer.

- Beer
- Wine (especially Port)
- Scotch
- Mixed drinks
- Water

However, for a beginner I would suggest something that cleanses your palette as you smoke. A mojito is a great choice because it is minty and does a great job cleansing the palette.

It is very important to note that whatever you choose to smoke is going to effect your taste buds and thus effect the way whatever you choose to drink will taste.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It is very important to note that whatever you choose to smoke is going to effect your taste buds and thus effect the way whatever you choose to drink will taste.
That's true, which is why I recommend a palette cleanser (such as a mojito) for a beginner so they can really taste the smoke and see if they like it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Coffee is a good choice to smoke with, because it is strong. Meaning if you trying several things. Because the smokes can blend together.

elohiym

We expect a full report with pictures! :D

Will do.

I just placed an order for a 5 pack of Padron maduro 4000. Will ship on Monday. Hopefully the Mrs. and I will be enjoying our first smoke by this time next Friday.

The reason I didn't get the 1964s is because they were out-of-stock on singles and the 5 pack was too pricey for our first experiment. Another time hopefully.

What do you prefer for lighting the cigar?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Will do.

I just placed an order for a 5 pack of Padron maduro 4000. Will ship on Monday. Hopefully the Mrs. and I will be enjoying our first smoke by this time next Friday.
You are in for a real treat! The Padron 4000 is a fantastic smoke, truly one of the very best you can buy. Just remember to NOT inhale the smoke into your lungs as that will ruin the experience for you. Just draw it into your mouth and then blow it out.

You will need to keep your extra cigars moist as they will dry out quickly. Since you don't have a humidor you might try a zip lock baggy with a moist piece of sponge to keep the humidity up.

The reason I didn't get the 1964s is because they were out-of-stock on singles and the 5 pack was too pricey for our first experiment. Another time hopefully.
You will not be disappointed with the 4000's.

What do you prefer for lighting the cigar?
I have a butane triple torch lighter but a box of matches will work just fine. In fact if you ordered from Cigars International they will send you a box with your order.

elohiym

You will need to keep your extra cigars moist as they will dry out quickly. Since you don't have a humidor you might try a zip lock baggy with a moist piece of sponge to keep the humidity up.

I was going to ask you about that. A simple solution. Thanks for the tip. :up:

Seem to vaguely recall an acquaintance when I was a kid who kept his in a Tupperware container with an piece of apple. :idunno:

zoo22

Or Dr pepper. :plain:

If it's a nice hot day and you want a cold non-alcoholic drink with your cigar... Really. Dr Pepper's a great cigar compliment. I don't quite know why, but it's true.

:plain:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I was going to ask you about that. A simple solution. Thanks for the tip. :up:

Seem to vaguely recall an acquaintance when I was a kid who kept his in a Tupperware container with an piece of apple. :idunno:

Tupperware will work until you decide to buy a humidor. I use a tupperware container when I travel with a Creedo tube humidifier. I just came back from Florida today and I had the tupperware stuffed to the gills with cigars and I also had a ziplock with the overflow, I added a humipack to the ziplock to keep those good during transit. I not sure about the apple but, I would suggest either a humipac's from your local tobacconist or just a small piece of sponge or florist foam wetted with distilled water.