ECT SALVATION: OLD TESTAMENT VS NEW

Simon Baker

BANNED
Banned
Me too! :)

It is a jargon foreign to my ears...

Oh... OK... I thought that was kinda the whole point of the difference between Old and New Testament Salvation... eg That we receive something different in the New that the Old did not bestow...

Yes - That is VERY foreign to my ears... We understand that Christ, in His incarnation, took on Him-SELF the WHOLE human nature which He received from the Blessed Virgin... And in this ONE human nature He lived utterly without sin and thereby overcame death in THAT particular body, His Own... And ONLY in His Own Body... Not in yours or mine or any of His contemporaries...

And that is why, when He died on the Cross and descended into Hades, [where John the Forerunner was already foretelling His imminent arrival to those therein], He was able, in His human nature, to OVERCOME DEATH AND HADES, and release those held there by the power of death...

It is because He ONLY overcame Death in Himself that we who are to be saved need to be baptized INTO HIM becoming members of His Body, the Ekklesia, which continues in Him upon this earth after He ascended to the Father... (And He shall come again...)

So we see nothing vicarious in this at all, but instead see Christ our God coming for us and saving us from the wiles of the enemy that seeks our total destruction along with himself (or ITself, which is probably more accurate...)

So that He did not die vicariously in our place, but died sinlessly so as to overcome Death by His Death on the Cross, into which we are baptized, that we should follow Him, taking up our own crosses daily in denial of self, and calling on the Name of the Lord...

A little different from your formulaics, this one, yes?

Arsenios

I Agree With Much Of That As Jesus Overcame Death And Sin. "Dying" Sinless, In That Jesus Lived Without Sin As a Man. However, Moments Before Death He Felt The Sin of The World, Past, Present, Future; Briefly Separated From The Father. Impossible To Fathom The Weight Of The Sins Of Mankind. Mine Alone, Carried So Much

Arsenios

What Christ DID in His human nature by His Incarnation was to raise up human nature in Himself for us, that we IN him should be raised beyond the Garden... And what He did on the Cross was to enable us IN Him to regain the Garden... Because prior to Adam's sin, man was without sin and not under the rule of death which sin ushered it... By dying without sin and descending into Hades, He overcame death and burst the bonds of Hades that held all mankind since the Fall of Adam, for all have sinned...

This is the explanation that western legalism, inherited from Latin Scholasticism, has never been able to grasp... The story of Salvation is not one of "Crime and Punishment", but is about "Sin and Redemption"...

The overcoming of sin is the quintessential feature of Salvation in Christ...

It is our coming to our senses from our prodigal delusions under the reigh of death...

It is about our regaining the primordial Beauty in which God first created us...

In His Image [eikon, icon] and Likeness...

That is what Sainthood is about...

Arsenios

Arsenios

I Agree With Much Of That As Jesus Overcame Death And Sin. "Dying" Sinless, In That Jesus Lived Without Sin As a Man. However, Moments Before Death He Felt The Sin of The World, Past, Present, Future; Briefly Separated From The Father. Impossible To Fathom The Weight Of The Sins Of Mankind. Mine Alone, Carried So Much

That was the last temptation of Christ... The apparent abandonment by the Father... If you get to that point in your walk in Christ, you will experience the same... And very obviously, it is ONLY apparent... For the Father raised Him from the dead... And He will raise you too...

Arsenios

Simon Baker

BANNED
Banned
What Christ DID in His human nature by His Incarnation was to raise up human nature in Himself for us, that we IN him should be raised beyond the Garden... And what He did on the Cross was to enable us IN Him to regain the Garden... Because prior to Adam's sin, man was without sin and not under the rule of death which sin ushered it... By dying without sin and descending into Hades, He overcame death and burst the bonds of Hades that held all mankind since the Fall of Adam, for all have sinned...

This is the explanation that western legalism, inherited from Latin Scholasticism, has never been able to grasp... The story of Salvation is not one of "Crime and Punishment", but is about "Sin and Redemption"...

It is our coming to our senses from our prodigal delusions under the reigh of death...

It is about our regaining the primordial Beauty in which God first created us...

Arsenios

I Can't Disagree, I Also Believe, Whether Explicitly Stated In The Bible Or not, God Who is Christ, "Knows" Sin, For Lack Of Words, "Felt" The Sin of The World. Christ Descended Into Hell. IMO, Any Other Translation Relates Too Much To Pure Animal Sacrifice. Do You Realize How Much Deeper This Is. To Say That Christ Knows No Sin Is Not Completely Understanding What Jesus Did On The Cross. It Is Finished

Arsenios

I Can't Disagree, I Also Believe, Whether Explicitly Stated In The Bible Or not, God Who is Christ, "Knows" Sin, For Lack Of Words, "Felt" The Sin of The World. Christ Descended Into Hell. IMO, Any Other Translation Relates Too Much To Pure Animal Sacrifice. Do You Realize How Much Deeper This Is. To Say That Christ Knows No Sin Is Not Completely Understanding What Jesus Did On The Cross. It Is Finished

Some of us think of His descent into Hell as the greatest undercover clandestine operation ever launched, because Hell was deceived into thinking that he had died by His sins, because He was dead, but because there was no sin in Him, He trampled down Death, overpowering it by His sinless death, and released those held prisoner there, raising up Adam...

The animal sacrifices of the Law, and especially that of the Passover Lamb, were Types of the Sacrifice Christ would give for our Salvation... That is why we call Christ our Paschal Lamb...

This is the Orthodox teaching of 2000 years...

I am giving you nothing new here at all...

It is a big deal...

CR I LOVE YOU!

Good night...

Arsenios

Nang

TOL Subscriber
When you look in the LXX OT texts, "hamartia" is translated "sin offering"... This is the reference term for the first century Christian usage of this term... It means "sin" in Greek, yes, but not in the Greek of the LXX to which this term refers in the Greek Text of the NT...

All the animal blood sacrifices of the Jews were sin offerings - And their fulfillment in Christ is for Christ Himself to BE that offering, once, for all, eternal and never to be repeated...

Arsenios

Yes, but all animal blood offerings were spiritual types of the promised and prophesied remedy in Messiah, that would be substitutional in ordinance, nature, and divine provision as full payment (death) of the wages (penalty) for sin.

Krsto

My short reply would be you believe salvation to be all about man - you..

Uh, what? Salvation happens when men respond to God, either the Gospel they hear or the Law men have inside, as Paul referred to. Are you saying salvation is totally dependent on the choice God made for each person as to whether he would be saved or not? Did you turn all Calvinist on me since discussions we used to have?

Krsto

Yes, but all animal blood offerings were spiritual types of the promised and prophesied remedy in Messiah, that would be substitutional in ordinance, nature, and divine provision as full payment (death) of the wages (penalty) for sin.

Are you aware of any scripture that says the wages of sin is death in the afterlife? If death is the antithesis of life and we receive life here an now don't you suppose the antithesis likewise refers to here an now. IOW, death is a spiritual state caused by our sin today, experienced today. Not just after we die. So for example, to make the Romans verse applicable I'd say, "The wages of your cheating on your spouse will be the painful breakup of your marriage." You seem to want to put everything in legal terms with regard to the atonement rather than seeing it as a legal metaphor for a covenental relationship with God in which even the most wicked person on earth can find forgiveness and start a new life in relation to God. You want to take the metaphor and make it say no man has standing before God when Jesus clearly taught any man who loves God and man enjoys eternal life. Your theology is at odds with Jesus' teaching.

TFTn5280

Arsenios

Yes

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

can you explain the difference between salvation and redemption?

Cross Reference

Uh, what? Salvation happens when men respond to God, either the Gospel they hear or the Law men have inside, as Paul referred to. Are you saying salvation is totally dependent on the choice God made for each person as to whether he would be saved or not? Did you turn all Calvinist on me since discussions we used to have?

Not in the least have I turned. However, in your replies I see works to be more primary then grace. For instance, what do you mean "when man responds to God" and then presume to mark out his path, by works, to his salvation. Question: Can you make the distinction between God's "Redemption" by Jesus Christ and His "Salvation", also by Jesus Christ? Can you explain it?

Cross Reference

No! Pay better attention to what he is saying!
Originally Posted by Arsenios View Post
What Christ DID in His human nature by His Incarnation was to raise up human nature in Himself for us, that we IN him should be raised beyond the Garden.

Jesus brought everything under subjection to His human disposition and His human disposition inline with His Father that He was "Full of Grace and Truth". His humanity was in perfect union with His Father as being without distinction and by which He was victorious!

. And what He did on the Cross was to enable us IN Him to regain the Garden.
What He accomplished on the cross was prove that Adam could have accomplished the same thing had he submitted his life to the God at the outset.

Because prior to Adam's sin, man was without sin and not under the
rule of death which sin ushered it... By dying without sin and descending into Hades, He overcame death and burst the bonds of Hades that held all mankind since the Fall of Adam, for all have sinned...

Because of His sinless life, death could not hold Him. Divinity had nothing to do with it being it was the fulfillment of what God first prescribed for Adam and warned him of the consequences of failure. Having said that: God was in Jesus that, by His Faithfulness in keeping the promise given Him, the requirements He fulfilled to make it all happen even unto His own human death was such the Spirit that was in Him he commended to His Father was able to resurrect Him to "Newness of Life", fully Divine, fully the Word of the Godhead now in Glorified Flesh and Bone ___ cf John 1:4,14 KJV.

Redemption as it relates to the ultimate intention of God for having created man..

That, by His doing, are we enabled to do the same thing.

Huh?? Jesus was never about canceling out the act of sin.

It is about our being brought into a Divine relationship with God.

Exactly!

It is about children of God becoming fathers by Christ Jesus:
"I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father." 1 John 2:13 (KJV 1900)
Begin with that verse and work forward in the process of fathoming for secure understanding.

Arsenios

Jesus brought everything under subjection to His human disposition,

Everything??

and (brought) His human disposition inline with His Father

He obeyed His Father as the son of man...

(so) that He was "Full of Grace and Truth".

I thought He was full of Grace and Truth because of Who He IS...

His humanity was in perfect union with His Father

Yes... By obedience...

as being without distinction

The humanity of Jesus is VERY DISTINCT from the Divinity of God...

and by which He was victorious!

What He said was: "The world has nothing in Me..."

What He accomplished on the cross was
(to) prove that Adam could have accomplished the same thing
had he submitted his life to the God at the outset.

PROVE???

Michael, that would be utterly egotistical on Christ's part...

And Christ is no egotist...

God did what Man could not...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Short thread...

He misreads the text...

Christ is indeed the redemption for all, even for atheists...

But ONLY IF they turn to Him in repentance...

So now I have yet ANOTHER reason to see why the Orthodox Faith is not in Communion with the Latins...

Does this pronouncement qualify as "Ex-Cathedra" from the Pope?

Arsenios