Remember when...

zoo22

Here's a place to remember some of the things that we'd love hate to have slip from our collective memory.

Remember when...

zoo22

Freedom Fries.

Remember when... In 2003, France opposed the Iraq war, and some Americans freaked out and renamed french fries and french toast "freedom fries" and "freedom toast?"

It went so far as that house republicans directed the house cafeterias to change the names on their menus. :plain:

The French response was that "we are in a very serious moment dealing with very serious issues, and we are not focusing on the name [Americans] give to potatoes."

Then later, I guess folks decided "Um, never mind."

As of 2006, the House restaurants currently offer both french fries and french toast.

Bob Ney, the republican house representative who'd spearheaded the official food renaming has since pled guilty to conspiracy charges and making false statements during the Abramoff scandal, and resigned.

Iwannaknow

BANNED
Banned
When women were real women and men were real men and children grew up understanding the difference and why.

220px-Cleaver_family_Leave_it_to_Beaver_1960.JPG

Quincy

Remember when Microsoft actually had an intelligent person running it and made innovative products?

Yea..... me neither :(

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Remember when you had to get up in order to change the television channel?

Remember when the telephone was a party line?

QueenAtHome

Remember when there were only 5 channels to choose from? If you stood in the room just so you might get lucky and pick up an UHF station.

Remember when a Mr. Misty was HUGE?

Remember when the local newspaper was delivered by the neighborhood boys?

Remember when kids came HOME after school?

Remember when kids played outside?

Remember when you knew your neighbors and greeted them everyday?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Remember when the public library was relevant?
Our library still is. My wife has brought in nearly a dozen new computers to aid patrons who are otherwise without internet access. Our library has a thriving audio books section and still sees significant traffic in the tried and true book check out department, especially since it became a part of a county wide system of sharing resources. Additionally, it sponsors summer reading programs for kids, houses adult literacy programs and both houses and played a large part in the establishment of an art walk and the newly formed arts council, which is spearheading the revitalization of our downtown.

And that's just a little of how the library in our area impacts and remains a vital part of its community. If yours isn't then either you need a new librarian and a civic commitment or you just don't know what it's doing because you aren't involved.

Either way it's a shame. I hope one or the other is improved. :e4e: