Remember when...

Quincy

Remember the days when toy cars would survive a trip out of the attic window, down the roof and into the yard without even chipping their paint?

They won't even roll down the roof now :(

Quincy

Remember when milk was delivered to your front door?

I do actually, faintly. They've improved the business structure now, though. I suppose. They offer more products anyways. Schwan's even delivers frozen pizzas and some decent ice cream, right to your door. Pretty cool, especially for those who can't easily get out to the grocery store.

Thunder's Muse

I do actually, faintly. They've improved the business structure now, though. I suppose. They offer more products anyways. Schwan's even delivers frozen pizzas and some decent ice cream, right to your door. Pretty cool, especially for those who can't easily get out to the grocery store.

That was the best milk. I would eat the cream off the top. Yum :)

zoo22

Quincy

I faintly remember when, before the digital age, libraries were always busy. Now, the ONLY people there are the people using public computers with internet access so they can play Tibia.

Seriously, I went into the library a few months ago looking for an older book. They didn't have it and the librarian says to me "Most older books and public domain books have a free edition on Amazon for your Kindle. You don't even have to waste your gas and time to come here."

I love the digital age. I also love watching dinosaurs go extinct. First it was Blockbuster, then public libraries and soon the postal service. Smell that fresh change in the air!!!

:chuckle:

Arthur Brain

Remember when t'internet were a Yorkshireman's nightmare? Aye, neither do I. Still, all these mod cons an' faffs right get up my hooter. Bring back steam I say!

Quincy

Remember when t'internet were a Yorkshireman's nightmare? Aye, neither do I. Still, all these mod cons an' faffs right get up my hooter. Bring back steam I say!

I say that every time Steam goes down for server/site maintenance too.

:plain:

Remember when the SEC wasn't the best conference and all the other conferences had a chance at winning the college football championship? No? Same here. I mean I can understand other conferences doing ok financially despite being terrible, though. The Arena Football teams do ok in cities where there are no NFL teams, by the same principal.

Arthur Brain

I say that every time Steam goes down for server/site maintenance too.

Remember when the SEC wasn't the best conference and all the other conferences had a chance at winning the college football championship? No? Same here.

You young whippersnappers'll say owt for publicity. It don't rate wi' me young fella me lad. Ah'll tell yer that fer nowt.

The 'SEC'?! What's that then? How long it takes fer folk ter be bored by what's goin' on?

Ah remember when paper rounds lasted fifteen years and the wage was a piece of coal...

bah, mutter, curmudgeonly griping etc...

Quincy

Ah remember when paper rounds lasted fifteen years and the wage was a piece of coal...

bah, mutter, curmudgeonly griping etc...

Well, I always look at the bright side. It could have been just a lump of coal. I imagine, a piece must be larger than a lump.

Arthur Brain

Well, I always look at the bright side. It could have been just a lump of coal. I imagine, a piece must be larger than a lump.

Why you insolent...!

Ah don't know. Young folk nowadays think when they hit thirty they kna the ways of the world. Well let me tell you summat me laddo. Ah'm 147 and aye - me legs may ave' deserted me and me brain turned to butternut squash - but Ah'll say this much!

Respect yer elderberries!

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Our library still is. My wife has brought in nearly a dozen new computers to aid patrons who are otherwise without internet access. Our library has a thriving audio books section and still sees significant traffic in the tried and true book check out department, especially since it became a part of a county wide system of sharing resources. Additionally, it sponsors summer reading programs for kids, houses adult literacy programs and both houses and played a large part in the establishment of an art walk and the newly formed arts council, which is spearheading the revitalization of our downtown.

And that's just a little of how the library in our area impacts and remains a vital part of its community. If yours isn't then either you need a new librarian and a civic commitment or you just don't know what it's doing because you aren't involved.

Either way it's a shame. I hope one or the other is improved. :e4e:

Our library has become a hot potato. The city doesn't want the expense. The schools provide computers for students and I don't believe that the city taxes should supply free Internet and personal use of the internet on the backs of tax payers at the public library. It costs $800,000 dollars a year to run it with 8,000 registered borrowers. The funding comes from millage proposals and is included in the public school budget. They also are funded by property taxes. We already have a community center they could sponsor children's reading programs. I just think the library is an old institution and people are holding onto it for nostalgic reasons.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I remember when PLUTO was a planet.

*sigh*

-Pluto-a.jpg

:cry: