Louis Farrakhan: Liberals, Thoughts?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I was not making a blanket assumption. I am asking a question about the specific actions of one man.

A man who's a fringe character and taken too seriously by folks who should know better. Old Louis basically just expects certain people to fall for his shtick. Worked for years.

rexlunae

I wanted to come back to this to ask the obvious question:

if I'm a racist but I support and respect ben carson, who is black, what race am I prejudiced against?

Black, maybe others. I think we covered that already. Are you under the impression that the fact that you can find one black person who's acceptable to you is a shield against accusations of racism?

rexlunae

but not all blacks?

is that how you think racism works? :chuckle:

That is how racism works, in many cases. You're ok with certain black people, as long as they don't represent issues that matter to black people and just parrot the same nonsense that the white dispossession movement has been saying for years. If you believe paranoid conspiracy theories about Obama being somehow not a full-fledged American (i.e that he's actually a Kenyan and somehow faked his native-born citizenship), or that he's somehow a secret Muslim, you're applying a standard that only works against people of a certain race.

quip

BANNED
Banned
I was not making a blanket assumption. I am asking a question about the specific actions of one man.

One that you aimed specially toward liberals. You seem to already presume the answer to your own question. Makes one wonder why you bothered to even ask....exception being an intended cheap slur. :down:

bybee

One that you aimed specially toward liberals. You seem to already presume the answer to your own question. Makes one wonder why you bothered to even ask....exception being an intended cheap slur. :down:

Wow! Mr. Farrakhan has publically called for the murdering of "whites" and "Police Officers".
I am asking what Liberals think about this?
So, it is a cheap slur to ask such a question?

PureX

This man has publicly called for Blacks to murder Whites and especially Police Officers.
If a White leader did this same thing would he/she still be loose?
This is unadulterated racism and it is already having an impact on race relations.
What is the Liberal response to this?
There are white racist 'agitators', too. Farrakhan gets a lot of media play because he's been around forever and is more interesting than most other racist agitators. He's black, and he's Muslim, for example.

As a "liberal" I say this is supposed to be a free country, and these racist agitators have a right to speak their mind just as anyone else does. And just as we have a right to ignore them. Or to speak our antipathy.

It's better to know who they are and what they the ink than to force them 'underground' where these ideas can fester unseen, until they explode into cultural violence.

bybee

There are white racist 'agitators', too. Farrakhan gets a lot of media play because he's been around forever and is more interesting than most other racist agitators. He's black, and he's Muslim, for example.

As a "liberal" I say this is supposed to be a free country, and these racist agitators have a right to speak their mind just as anyone else does. And just as we have a right to ignore them. Or to speak our antipathy.

It's better to know who they are and what they the ink than to force them 'underground' where these ideas can fester unseen, until they explode into cultural violence.

I have not espoused the silencing of anyone! I wonder what liberals think of Farrakhan's rhetoric?

PureX

I have not espoused the silencing of anyone! I wonder what liberals think of Farrakhan's rhetoric?
Most liberals don't care about his rhetoric. Being a liberal only means supporting his right to speak his mind. It doesn't mean supporting what he said, or not supporting it.

My personal view is that he has a good point when he talks about black people supporting each other economically, and politically. Just as many Christians think that they should support Christian businesses and political candidates. (Though Christians are hardly a disempowered social minority, as black people are in this country.) And I think he just hurts his own message when he expresses his bias against Jews, and against white people in general.

bybee

Most liberals don't care about his rhetoric. Being a liberal only means supporting his right to speak his mind. It doesn't mean supporting what he said, or not supporting it.

My personal view is that he has a good point when he talks about black people supporting each other economically, and politically. Just as many Christians think that they should support Christian businesses and political candidates. (Though Christians are hardly a disempowered social minority, as black people are in this country.) And I think he just hurts his own message when he expresses his bias against Jews, and against white people in general.

Okay. And how do you feel about White Hate mongers? Do you feel that their rhetoric is damaging to the body politic or not?

Granite

Hall of Fame

A question like that makes it sound like you believe all "liberals" think alike.

Farrakhan's a race baiter and rabble rouser. World's full of them. But when he says "boo!" the suckers he's counting on always jump ten feet high.

PureX

Okay. And how do you feel about White Hate mongers? Do you feel that their rhetoric is damaging to the body politic or not?
Hate is like poison. It "damages" everyone that comes in contact with it. But I don't control the "body politic", nor do I want to, nor do I want anyone else to. We are all free to determine our own thinking, politically.

As it should be.

bybee

Hate is like poison. It "damages" everyone that comes in contact with it. But I don't control the "body politic", nor do I want to, nor do I want anyone else to. We are all free to determine our own thinking, politically.

As it should be.

That is not the topic.
You are bloviating!:blabla::blabla::blabla:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
That is how racism works, in many cases.

not unless you redefine it to mean something that it doesn't

oxford dictionary said:
Definition of racism in English:
noun

1Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior: a program to combat racism

1.1The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races: theories of racism

rexlunatic said:
You're ok with certain black people

i'm ok with lots of black people - julian bond, lawrence hill, pk subban, chad dion lassiter are a few i've discussed here over the years

, as long as they don't represent issues that matter to black people

no - that's retarded

and just parrot the same nonsense that the white dispossession movement has been saying for years.

see above

If you believe paranoid conspiracy theories about Obama being somehow not a full-fledged American (i.e that he's actually a Kenyan and somehow faked his native-born citizenship), or that he's somehow a secret Muslim, you're applying a standard that only works against people of a certain race.

and you end on a note of epic retardedness

rex - stop being such a retard

i can dislike bammy without being racist

and i can like ben carson without being racist

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
That is how racism works, in many cases. You're ok with certain black people, as long as they don't represent issues that matter to black people and just parrot the same nonsense that the white dispossession movement has been saying for years. If you believe paranoid conspiracy theories about Obama being somehow not a full-fledged American (i.e that he's actually a Kenyan and somehow faked his native-born citizenship), or that he's somehow a secret Muslim, you're applying a standard that only works against people of a certain race.

Real racism is seeing it in everything, which is what you and some other extremist liberals do. You try to make everything about race.

I dont like obama because hes a fake, it has nothing to do with any part of the color of his skin.

bybee

Real racism is seeing it in everything, which is what you and some other extremist liberals do. You try to make everything about race.

I dont like obama because hes a fake, it has nothing to do with any part of the color of his skin.

It does seem that, with some folks, any disagreement must be because of racism.

rexlunae

i can dislike bammy without being racist

Of course you could. But do you? There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike him. Maybe you disagree with his foreign policy, or maybe you don't like some of the social policies he's advanced. But one reason that isn't valid is belief in discredited claims about where he was born or his religion. And if you believe in those conspiracy theories, it naturally raises questions as to why you do, and race seems to be the most plausible explanation. These theories have had a remarkable resonance in certain parts of the Right, and it simply can't be due to just politics. No one tried anything like this against Bill Clinton, although he certainly was hated.