Jesus is YHWH

KingdomRose

Greetings KingdomRose, I have appreciated your comments in this thread and agree with most of what you have stated. The above Post caught my attention for another reason. Although you sometimes use YHWH, you seem to prefer using Jehovah. You also selected two translations that use Jehovah, in these verses at least. I assume that you may have been very careful to select these two that use "Jehovah". Could I ask a question, without side-tracking this thread. I assume you are a JW. The question is: Is it acceptable in your meetings to use Yahweh instead of Jehovah, and is this more or less recognized as closer to the spelling of the YHWH Name? I notice in a recent JW publication that they do suggest Yahweh as being most probably more correct, and in the same chapter mention Rotherham’s translation which, although they do not mention this, has a large section in supporting of Yahweh instead of Jehovah, and Rotherham consistently uses Yahweh in his translation.

Kind regards
Trevor

Thank you, Trevor, for your respectful and relevant post. JWs use "Jehovah" because it is the most common pronunciation, though undoubtedly not the way it was pronounced 2 thousand and more years ago. The "J" would've been a "Y" sound instead, and "Yahveh" is a perfectly fine option. But, as I started to say, since the King James Version presented God's name as "Jehovah," most people seem to identify with that more quickly than other pronunciations. English-speaking people particularly. His name has a variety of pronunciations depending on the language one speaks. "Jehovah" is one that many people grew up with, in a number of churches, though it wasn't used as much as "Jesus" (because Jesus was emphasized more). As a little girl I knew who "Jehovah" was when I heard it in gospel songs. When Charles Russell started up his group of Bible Students in the 1870s they used the King James Version and the American Standard, both of which used "Jehovah" as God's name. It just seemed natural. So we prefer to use "Jehovah" even now. I have noticed that when His name is used in movies, it's always "Jehovah," and in operatic songs as well, such as a CD I have of Bryn Terfel, who sings "Jehovah" very enthusiastically.

Thanks for your thoughtful question.

KingdomRose

Do you get the feeling you're surrounded by a howling pack of demons? Keep your sword and shield handy.

Have you noticed that EvilEye hasn't responded to my posts where I cut his ridiculous assertions to pieces? I see you haven't bothered to civilly answer what I said either. Cat got your tongue?

glorydaz

Have you noticed that EvilEye hasn't responded to my posts where I cut his ridiculous assertions to pieces? I see you haven't bothered to civilly answer what I said either. Cat got your tongue?

I noticed you seemed to think you cut his assertions to pieces, and I just laughed. I see no point in discussing anything with someone as steeped in their cult as your are. The main reason being that you are unable to listen .... you are so filled with Witness Pride that you think you know it all. :)

KingdomRose

I noticed you seemed to think you cut his assertions to pieces, and I just laughed. I see no point in discussing anything with someone as steeped in their cult as your are. The main reason being that you are unable to listen .... you are so filled with Witness Pride that you think you know it all. :)

You know nothing.

TrevorL

Greetings again Evil.Eye.<(I)>,
It boils down to atonement. If the blood of God didn't seal mankind unto Salvation... we are all sunk.
Not sure of the particular Scripture that you use to support your claim “the blood of God”. I accept that it was the blood of Jesus, the blood of the Lamb, the blood of the New Covenant.
I will ask this one matter of you and if you answer it satisfactory... I'll tread lightly... otherwise... I'll lean into in and move forward at a brisk pace.
Do you believe salvation is a free gift that is totally provided upon belief. Not a "life process", but a promise to be claimed?
Not sure of the words “a life process”. I believe that salvation is received as a gift when we believe the Gospel of the Kingdom and Name Acts 8:5,12, and such a belief will motivate us to be baptized into the death and resurrection of Christ and continue to live the crucified/resurrected life Galatians 2:20.

Kind regards
Trevor

oatmeal

We are only, ever counted "son's" of God and equal to God by Love.

1 John 3 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.​

This is why the chapter we are discussing here goes on to say this...

Philippians 2:30 because for the work of Christ he came close to death, not regarding his life, to supply what was lacking in your service toward me.​

God provided for us in His express image. He alone is capable of morally pleasing Himself and thus... we must claim His work alone... while relinquishing our dead efforts that bear iniquity, even in our best intentions.

Humility Oats... It's all about humility towards Christ and fellow humanity. He alone is truely without pride. We are merely the clay that bears the oil and Light.

- EE

Therefore, Philippians 2:5-6 is not proof that Jesus is God but rather proof of the opposite, Jesus Christ is the son of God, and wast therefore duty bound to Honor his father and mother.. Thus in obeying scripture he learned humility and obedience to his Father and thus served his Father in the most exemplary ways.

oatmeal

Jesus Christ was certainly capable of answering their questions directly though they had to ask twice.

John 18:4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?

7 Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth.

"I am he" ie, I am who? Jesus of Nazareth.

Is it revealing that this post remains unanswered?

SonOfCaleb

Greetings KingdomRose, I have appreciated your comments in this thread and agree with most of what you have stated. The above Post caught my attention for another reason. Although you sometimes use YHWH, you seem to prefer using Jehovah. You also selected two translations that use Jehovah, in these verses at least. I assume that you may have been very careful to select these two that use "Jehovah". Could I ask a question, without side-tracking this thread. I assume you are a JW. The question is: Is it acceptable in your meetings to use Yahweh instead of Jehovah, and is this more or less recognized as closer to the spelling of the YHWH Name? I notice in a recent JW publication that they do suggest Yahweh as being most probably more correct, and in the same chapter mention Rotherham’s translation which, although they do not mention this, has a large section in supporting of Yahweh instead of Jehovah, and Rotherham consistently uses Yahweh in his translation.

Kind regards
Trevor

Yahweh linguistically is the more likely prounounciation of the divine name. But its not as well known in English as Jehovah which has been used in English for a millenia. Jehovah is simply more well known hence why we use this name. That said i do prefer to use Yahweh as it sounds nicer to me :) But i believe the correct phonetic pronunciation is probably "Yah.Veh".

Either way the differences in the divine name are merely down to transliteration and the nuances of translating sounds, vowels, consonants etc from Hebrew and Greek which arent that simple when anglicizing them into English. In Indonesia i believe the tradition among Jehovahs Witnesses there is to refer to God -as in Jehovah God- as Allah. Ultimately words convey meaning. As long as the speakers of the name understand each other the pedantics of how the divine name is spealt or sounds is somewhat irrelavent. Whats of more importance is that the divine name is used and that each speaker knows precisely what, or rather which God is being referred to.

TrevorL

Greetings again KingdomRose and Greetings SonOfCaleb,
JWs use "Jehovah" because it is the most common pronunciation, though undoubtedly not the way it was pronounced 2 thousand and more years ago. The "J" would've been a "Y" sound instead, and "Yahveh" is a perfectly fine option. But, as I started to say, since the King James Version presented God's name as "Jehovah," most people seem to identify with that more quickly than other pronunciations. English-speaking people particularly. His name has a variety of pronunciations depending on the language one speaks. "Jehovah" is one that many people grew up with, in a number of churches, though it wasn't used as much as "Jesus" (because Jesus was emphasized more). As a little girl I knew who "Jehovah" was when I heard it in gospel songs. When Charles Russell started up his group of Bible Students in the 1870s they used the King James Version and the American Standard, both of which used "Jehovah" as God's name. It just seemed natural. So we prefer to use "Jehovah" even now.
Yahweh linguistically is the more likely prounounciation of the divine name. But its not as well known in English as Jehovah which has been used in English for a millenia. Jehovah is simply more well known hence why we use this name. That said i do prefer to use Yahweh as it sounds nicer to me :) But i believe the correct phonetic pronunciation is probably "Yah.Veh".
Either way the differences in the divine name are merely down to transliteration and the nuances of translating sounds, vowels, consonants etc from Hebrew and Greek which arent that simple when anglicizing them into English. Ultimately words convey meaning. As long as the speakers of the name understand each other the pedantics of how the divine name is spelt or sounds is somewhat irrelevant. Whats of more importance is that the divine name is used and that each speaker knows precisely what, or rather which God is being referred to.
I appreciate your responses. In my fellowship some of our older books and some old hymns use Jehovah occasionally, but usually we now use Yahweh. After reading such expositions as at the beginning of Rotherham I would feel uncomfortable using Jehovah. We feel it is more important to understand the meaning of the Name, rather than the pronunciation. I have been taught and with personal examination accept that the Name means “I will be who I will be” or “He will be”. A strong aspect of the Name is that God’s purpose will be revealed and fulfilled, and this is centred in the Lord jesus Christ.

I have a copy of the green and black NWTs, but I understand there could now be a newer grey edition. Is there much difference in this edition? I would caution against using the “Living Translation” as it is not considered to be accurate.

SonOfCaleb, seeing you are so forward in advertising the JWs in your avatar, I would like to state that I disagree with say 15-20 items of their teachings, some concerning the Kingdom, others the things concerning the Name of Jesus.

Where we agree, and getting back to the subject of this thread, is the distinction between David’s Lord and Yahweh in Psalm 110:1, especially as it is expounded in the NT. Also one of my JW mates once gave a brief description of John 10:30-36, and I agreed with him at that time. I have yet to see a satisfactory Trinitarian explanation of these passages. Also as mentioned in an earlier Post, Acts 2 expounds Psalm 110:1. Could a Trinitarian point out where the Trinity is taught in Acts 2, or anywhere in the Book of Acts for that matter? In other words, how did the Apostles convert fiercely monotheistic Jews who believed in One Yahweh, One God the Father, to accept the Trinity, and where is the evidence that this was attempted or achieved?

Kind regards
Trevor

SonOfCaleb

I have a copy of the green and black NWTs, but I understand there could now be a newer grey edition. Is there much difference in this edition?

No fundamental differences no. The English has been modernised though to reflect contemporary speech thus making it easier to understand.

SonOfCaleb, seeing you are so forward in advertising the JWs in your avatar, I would like to state that I disagree with say 15-20 items of their teachings, some concerning the Kingdom, others the things concerning the Name of Jesus.

Thats fine. Start another thread and we can talk about it :)

Where we agree, and getting back to the subject of this thread, is the distinction between David’s Lord and Yahweh in Psalm 110:1, especially as it is expounded in the NT. Also one of my JW mates once gave a brief description of John 10:30-36, and I agreed with him at that time. I have yet to see a satisfactory Trinitarian explanation of these passages. Also as mentioned in an earlier Post, Acts 2 expounds Psalm 110:1. Could a Trinitarian point out where the Trinity is taught in Acts 2, or anywhere in the Book of Acts for that matter? In other words, how did the Apostles convert fiercely monotheistic Jews who believed in One Yahweh, One God the Father, to accept the Trinity, and where is the evidence that this was attempted or achieved?

Kind regards
Trevor

And this mon frere is another reason why the testinomy of Trinitarians just falls apart at the seams as it ignores Jewish tradition. It ignores history. It ignores the Bible. And its devoid of any reasonable context. Why? Because the Triune Godhead was A) Nowhere to be found in early Christianity of 1AD and B) It was a pagan philosophical teaching that was deeply rooted in the gnosticism of the Egyptians, Babylonians, Greeks and Romans etc.

Note the first two commandments (or words) in Exodus 20:1-2
"20 Then God spoke all these words:
2 “I am Jehovah your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. 3 You must not have any other gods besides me."
Pretty clear there that the Jews were a monotheistic faith who were strictly instructed to worship ONE God. The penalty for worshiping other gods was in fact death according to the Mosiac Law. But somehow Trinitarians have omitted these important facts that throughly debunk their dogma.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi Trevor,

It boils down to atonement. If the blood of God didn't seal mankind unto Salvation... we are all sunk.

I will ask this one matter of you and if you answer it satisfactory... I'll tread lightly... otherwise... I'll lean into in and move forward at a brisk pace.

Do you believe salvation is a free gift that is totally provided upon belief. Not a "life process", but a promise to be claimed?

The only blood God had was in His son jesus, who you claim is the Father in a human body.

What happened to Jesus the son of David?

You claim the Father took over His body.

You do not truly believe God could raise up a man in His image, so you are sunk as regards ever becoming like Him.

LA

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
The only blood God had was in His son jesus, who you claim is the Father in a human body.

What happened to Jesus the son of David?

You claim the Father took over His body.

You do not truly believe God could raise up a man in His image, so you are sunk as regards ever becoming like Him.

LA

You actually miss the point of The Father and Son being ONE, yet clearly being two distinct "parts" of God.

Body
Mind/Spirit
Soul

But... Hey... Complicate matters and deny all the verses that you have to reject to support your false argument.

What happened to Jesus "the son of David"? ... This is a lineage promise that binds to Prophecy and only further shows that Jesus is God. Have you studied the Lineage of Christ and linked it to all scripture per each name? Eye opening stuff.

"You claim the Father took over His Body"... um... Jesus is the Father's "Body". ?!?

Do you read anything I post? Or do you just freak out when Jesus is recognized as (Is. 9:6) says?