Jesus is YHWH

KingdomRose

Hi KingdomRose...

Matthew 23:37 “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!​

Deuteronomy 32:11

As an eagle stirs up its nest,
Hovers over its young,
Spreading out its wings, taking them up,
Carrying them on its wings,​

And just how did YHWH "hover over [an eagle's] young, spreading out his wings," etc.? Didn't He do that through Jesus? Jesus imitated his Father in all things, but that didn't make him his Father.

KingdomRose

John 14:9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?​

Isaiah 46:9 Remember the former things of old,
For I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like Me,​

Jesus said that to see him is to see the Father because he imitated the Father so closely. He was the exact representation of the Father---not the Father Himself.

"Jesus answered and was saying to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of himself, unless it is something he sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner." (John 5:19, NASB)

"And he is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of his power. When he had made purification of sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high." (Hebrews 1:3, NASB)

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Jesus said that to see him is to see the Father because he imitated the Father so closely. He was the exact representation of the Father---not the Father Himself.

"Jesus answered and was saying to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of himself, unless it is something he sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner." (John 5:19, NASB)

"And he is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of his power. When he had made purification of sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high." (Hebrews 1:3, NASB)

Notice how you had to add to scripture to make it say what you believe?

How about this?

Deuteronomy 6:4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one!​

John 10:30 I and My Father are one.”​

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
And just how did YHWH "hover over [an eagle's] young, spreading out his wings," etc.? Didn't He do that through Jesus? Jesus imitated his Father in all things, but that didn't make him his Father.

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace.​

Matthew 1:23 "Behold! The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call Him Immanuel" (which means, "God with us").​

keypurr

I do not know of any scriptures that say that. The bible also says that we are made in the image of God.
The express image of a spirit would be a spirit. A very special spirit for it contained the fullness of its creator. The express image is only used to discribe the Son used at the creation. The spirit son that was SENT to dwell in Jesus.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using TheologyOnline mobile app

keypurr

Keypurr... I could fight against you, and be insulting, but the truth of the matter is that you miss the most intimate part of the implications of the virgin birth and conception of the Spiritual nature by God Himself.

God forever bound Himself to us in a way that shows a Love that is immeasurable. I know your perspective is set in stone and so is mine. I could quote a verse that says... And Jesus told them He was God... but you would fall back on the idea that God was speaking through Jesus.

The point that I embrace is diametrically different. To me... Jesus was born the very "Voice" and "Express Image" of the Father. I further believe that the very "PRESENCE" of God that spoke to Moses, became intertwined with humanity forever.

It bothers me that you rewrite scripture to dismiss the most beautiful part of scripture. This is also the very foundation of all atonement.

I personally believe that you dislike the idea that only God is Good and that we cannot be like Christ, but by Love and the promise of what is to come in our Resurrection.

Your overlooking the fact that God is a spirit and his express image is also a spirit. So the human body of Jesus is not the express image of the Father. Jesus is the body prepared to hold the powerful spirit son of the most high.

I do not rewrite the scriptures I just do not assume that everything I was taught is true. I try not to assume anything. You do.

Understand that I have a great love for My God AND my Lord. To me there is only one true God, the Father. I see the Spirit son as God's first creation and he was given the power of his creator. I know you do not understand fully why I think that but I have good reasons to do so. I have never been more content with my faith as I am now.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Your overlooking the fact that God is a spirit and his express image is also a spirit. So the human body of Jesus is not the express image of the Father. Jesus is the body prepared to hold the powerful spirit son of the most high.

I do not rewrite the scriptures I just do not assume that everything I was taught is true. I try not to assume anything. You do.

Understand that I have a great love for My God AND my Lord. To me there is only one true God, the Father. I see the Spirit son as God's first creation and he was given the power of his creator. I know you do not understand fully why I think that but I have good reasons to do so. I have never been more content with my faith as I am now.

Spirit can't be seen... now for the definition of the word "image"...

a physical likeness or representation of a person, animal, or thing, photographed, painted, sculptured, or otherwise made visible.

So... um... have you reconsidered this verse yet?

John 6:46

46 Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father.​

And... again...

Hebrews 1:3

3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,​

keypurr

Spirit can't be seen... now for the definition of the word "image"...

a physical likeness or representation of a person, animal, or thing, photographed, painted, sculptured, or otherwise made visible.

So... um... have you reconsidered this verse yet?

John 6:46

46 Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father.​

And... again...

Hebrews 1:3

3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,​

You just do not see it.

Man is made in the image of God in what way? The ability to think and act in a rational manner.

But the EXPRESS IMAGE is much more than that. This image has been given the fullness of its creator. God used this image to create the Universe. This image went into Jesus at his anointing. This image became flesh and went to the cross for us. Jesus was born but the true Son of God was sent, for he was in heaven with his Father before he came to us.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
You just do not see it.

Man is made in the image of God in what way? The ability to think and act in a rational manner.

But the EXPRESS IMAGE is much more than that. This image has been given the fullness of its creator. God used this image to create the Universe. This image went into Jesus at his anointing. This image became flesh and went to the cross for us. Jesus was born but the true Son of God was sent, for he was in heaven with his Father before he came to us.

I'm so happy that you finally believe in the Trinity !!!

TrevorL

Greetings again Evil.Eye,
Thank you for being so clear about your stance. There is a way about you in your expressing yourself that makes matters clear. Though I have a different view than you, I believe you and [MENTION=15579]1Mind1Spirit[/MENTION] might be enormously similar in your understandings. Honestly, he won't debate with me because he's about peace and agreeing to disagree. I am enormously capable of agreeing to disagree and if an individual is as respectful as you and 1m1s ... I am inclined to enjoy discussion.

I made this thread to have fun expressing my perspective, but also providing a format for others to have fun sharing theirs, and also giving us all a chance to peacefully debate by sharing our favorite thing that brings us all together... "Scripture".

Obviously God is the super duper favorite thing... but... alas... since we all have different "ologies"... it allows us to move forward with scripture and enjoy discussion.
I appreciate your comments. Yes this subject needs a measured approach as we are dealing with an important subject, an attempt to understand the Scriptural teaching concerning God. As such we should treat this subject with reverence as it is Holy. I do not mind disagreement between ourselves, as I find that by this interaction we learn, sometimes a new perspective presented by the other, and sometimes from a better understanding of the Scriptures as we meditate and examine some of these.

Nevertheless I am not sure that I want to be involved in a wide-ranging discussion on every verse that Trinitarians raise, and then to counter this with other verses that seem to speak against the Trinity. Why is it necessary to repeat the same arguments that have been aired in other threads? For example in your recent Post, do you really think that the following is convincing to a non-Trinitarian?
Luke 2:11 For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.​
Is. 43:11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.​
This fits neatly into my understanding of the Yahweh Name being continuous and a development in and through our Lord Jesus Christ. God the Father is the Saviour in and through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Even the Name Jesus combines the words Yahweh and Saviour.

Next you speak of Philippians 2 and this could be considered at length, but my understanding is that this speaks of Jesus’ disposition of mind when he was growing and during his ministry and not his incarnation. Also God has exalted Jesus and given him a name above every name, but when we bow to him it is to the glory of God the Father, not to the glory of “God the Son”. Here again is the continuation and development of the Yahweh Name. Posts #55 and #56 are similar to your “saviour” post.

How about this?
Again this fits in neatly with the Yahweh Name being continuous and developing. The unity revealed between Jesus and His Father is to be shared with his disciples:
John 17:6,11 (KJV): 6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

What surprises me though is why Trinitarians quote John 10:30 in isolation, instead of considering Jesus’ answer to his accusers in John 10:31-36, which clearly teaches in a very detailed way that Jesus is claiming to be The Son of God. I have never read a satisfactory Trinitarian explanation of why the Judges were called Elohim, in conjunction with the bearing of this upon Jesus' answer to his accusers. Also verse 36 is the same as verse 30 in different words, that he is in unity with God His Father, and thus He is The Son of God.

Kind regards
Trevor

keypurr

Greetings again Evil.Eye, I appreciate your comments. Yes this subject needs a measured approach as we are dealing with an important subject, an attempt to understand the Scriptural teaching concerning God. As such we should treat this subject with reverence as it is Holy. I do not mind disagreement between ourselves, as I find that by this interaction we learn, sometimes a new perspective presented by the other, and sometimes from a better understanding of the Scriptures as we meditate and examine some of these.

Nevertheless I am not sure that I want to be involved in a wide-ranging discussion on every verse that Trinitarians raise, and then to counter this with other verses that seem to speak against the Trinity. Why is it necessary to repeat the same arguments that have been aired in other threads? For example in your recent Post, do you really think that the following is convincing to a non-Trinitarian? This fits neatly into my understanding of the Yahweh Name being continuous and a development in and through our Lord Jesus Christ. God the Father is the Saviour in and through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Even the Name Jesus combines the words Yahweh and Saviour.

Next you speak of Philippians 2 and this could be considered at length, but my understanding is that this speaks of Jesus’ disposition of mind when he was growing and during his ministry and not his incarnation. Also God has exalted Jesus and given him a name above every name, but when we bow to him it is to the glory of God the Father, not to the glory of “God the Son”. Here again is the continuation and development of the Yahweh Name. Posts #55 and #56 are similar to your “saviour” post.

Again this fits in neatly with the Yahweh Name being continuous and developing. The unity revealed between Jesus and His Father is to be shared with his disciples:
John 17:6,11 (KJV): 6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

What surprises me though is why Trinitarians quote John 10:30 in isolation, instead of considering Jesus’ answer to his accusers in John 10:31-36, which clearly teaches in a very detailed way that Jesus is claiming to be The Son of God. I have never read a satisfactory Trinitarian explanation of why the Judges were called Elohim, in conjunction with the bearing of this upon Jesus' answer to his accusers. Also verse 36 is the same as verse 30 in different words, that he is in unity with God His Father, and thus He is The Son of God.

Kind regards
Trevor

Excellent post.

Sent from my iPad using TOL

KingdomRose

How about this?

Just how did I "add to scripture" to make it come out the way I wanted? You make offensive statements without backing up what you are saying, by clearly showing how I have added to scripture. Not very honest of you. I have explained what "I and my Father are one" means. How about checking out John 17:20-23? It clearly shows that even the disciples could be "one" with Jesus and with God. Does that make THEM God?

KingdomRose

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace.​

Matthew 1:23 "Behold! The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call Him Immanuel" (which means, "God with us").​

Poor man. You have such a shallow understanding of the scriptures. Haven't you learned yet what "mighty god" means in Isaiah? It is translated from "El Gibbohr," and refers to any mighty, powerful individual (there are no capital letters in Hebrew). It is to be contrasted with "El Shaddai," which is translated Almighty God. Only YHWH is referred to as Almighty God. Any powerful person can be referred to as "mighty god." Human judges and angels are called "gods" in the Hebrew Scriptures.

Jesus is an "everlasting father" in that he is responsible for eternal life to his "children," mankind.

Now, why would you think that Matthew 1:23 is saying that God Himself is here on the earth? "God with us" means merely that God is showing His concern for us by sending His Son. He is "with" us in that sense. His Son represents Him and explains to mankind what his Father wants.

TrevorL

Greetings KingdomRose,
No Jesus is not YHWH. Jehovah (YHWH) and Jesus are always differentiated between, throughout the Bible. How can Jesus be Jehovah in these two scriptures?
"Jehovah said to my Lord the Messiah, 'Rule as my regent---I will subdue your enemies and make them bow low before you. Jehovah has established your throne in from Zion to rule over your enemies.'" (Psalm 110:1,2, Living Bible)
"The Spirit of the Lord Jehovah is on me [Jesus], because Jehovah did anoint me to proclaim tidings to the humble, He sent me to bind the broken of heart, to proclaim to captives liberty, and to bound ones an opening of bands. To proclaim the year of the good pleasure of Jehovah, and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all mourners." (Isaiah 61:1,2, Young's Literal Translation of the Holy Bible) Jesus applied this scripture to himself at Luke 4:18-21.
I have appreciated your comments in this thread and agree with most of what you have stated. The above Post caught my attention for another reason. Although you sometimes use YHWH, you seem to prefer using Jehovah. You also selected two translations that use Jehovah, in these verses at least. I assume that you may have been very careful to select these two that use "Jehovah". Could I ask a question, without side-tracking this thread. I assume you are a JW. The question is: Is it acceptable in your meetings to use Yahweh instead of Jehovah, and is this more or less recognized as closer to the spelling of the YHWH Name? I notice in a recent JW publication that they do suggest Yahweh as being most probably more correct, and in the same chapter mention Rotherham’s translation which, although they do not mention this, has a large section in supporting of Yahweh instead of Jehovah, and Rotherham consistently uses Yahweh in his translation.

Kind regards
Trevor

glorydaz

Poor man. You have such a shallow understanding of the scriptures. Haven't you learned yet what "mighty god" means in Isaiah? It is translated from "El Gibbohr," and refers to any mighty, powerful individual (there are no capital letters in Hebrew). It is to be contrasted with "El Shaddai," which is translated Almighty God. Only YHWH is referred to as Almighty God. Any powerful person can be referred to as "mighty god." Human judges and angels are called "gods" in the Hebrew Scriptures.

Jesus is an "everlasting father" in that he is responsible for eternal life to his "children," mankind.

Now, why would you think that Matthew 1:23 is saying that God Himself is here on the earth? "God with us" means merely that God is showing His concern for us by sending His Son. He is "with" us in that sense. His Son represents Him and explains to mankind what his Father wants.

Boy, you JW's pack some pretty large chunks of dung, don't ya? So good with the names, but you have to explain away Immanuel. Quite the piece of work. :nono:

glorydaz

How about this?

Do you get the feeling you're surrounded by a howling pack of demons? Keep your sword and shield handy.

oatmeal

While you're waiting for Keypurr, I like these. Now Keypurr might not fall over backward, but the Jews knew what Jesus was saying.

John 18:6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am (he), they went backward, and fell to the ground.

John 18:8 Jesus answered, I have told you that I am (he): if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way:​

Jesus Christ was certainly capable of answering their questions directly though they had to ask twice.

John 18:4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?

7 Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth.

"I am he" ie, I am who? Jesus of Nazareth.

oatmeal

He is the Governor, ruler, that will come out of Juda to rule God's people.

Matthew 2:6

And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.

He is the son of the Lord.

Matthew 2:15

And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Greetings again Evil.Eye, I appreciate your comments. Yes this subject needs a measured approach as we are dealing with an important subject, an attempt to understand the Scriptural teaching concerning God. As such we should treat this subject with reverence as it is Holy. I do not mind disagreement between ourselves, as I find that by this interaction we learn, sometimes a new perspective presented by the other, and sometimes from a better understanding of the Scriptures as we meditate and examine some of these.

Nevertheless I am not sure that I want to be involved in a wide-ranging discussion on every verse that Trinitarians raise, and then to counter this with other verses that seem to speak against the Trinity. Why is it necessary to repeat the same arguments that have been aired in other threads? For example in your recent Post, do you really think that the following is convincing to a non-Trinitarian? This fits neatly into my understanding of the Yahweh Name being continuous and a development in and through our Lord Jesus Christ. God the Father is the Saviour in and through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Even the Name Jesus combines the words Yahweh and Saviour.

Kind regards
Trevor

Hi Trevor,

It boils down to atonement. If the blood of God didn't seal mankind unto Salvation... we are all sunk.

I will ask this one matter of you and if you answer it satisfactory... I'll tread lightly... otherwise... I'll lean into in and move forward at a brisk pace.

Do you believe salvation is a free gift that is totally provided upon belief. Not a "life process", but a promise to be claimed?