Is Islam compatible within Western Society?

Arthur Brain

There is. I've noted some of it, even beyond the foundational notion of separation. You don't have to agree with it, but denying it is just contrary to the plain fact.

There is nothing approaching absolute consistency on the matter, just among those who ascribe to 'hell/the lake of fire' being eternal. I've heard a myriad opinions on the matter in my formative church years and seen a myriad more on here. It simply isn't black and white so why isn't it?

That's like saying if there was one God we'd all agree about the particulars. It doesn't follow that given outcome of Chinese whispers invalidate the existence of the first spoken words.

So...something of the magnitude of an eternal hell of suffering couldn't just have been written in the plainest of terms and beyond question? Even in translation from the original texts? This isn't like having a disagreement over a bus timetable TH...and when it comes to those original words then many of the original translators didn't glean anything like the ensuing tradition that followed. Does it even occur to you that religious orthodoxy might just be open to question, or are you only interested in working within a framework that denies any further inquiry into its legitimacy?

I'm not dictating anything by noting that you used the narrative of your friend as a part of your larger objection to the notion of hell. There's nothing arrogant or even inaccurate about what I wrote. I'd be happy to quote the entire paragraph if you like.

Yes you were TH. You started off your answer in a completely arrogant fashion and have upped the ante on that score since. I wish I hadn't bloody mentioned it now frankly but hey, thanks for your condolencies and the ensuing condescension as if I can't scroll back and read the whole exchange myself. I happen to know my intent from the get go and it wasn't planned as what you presume.

I summed it because of your later: "Funny, I thought I sounded like someone who's just told you they lost a good friend. Excuse me if I extolled her generosity" as if that wasn't tied into a larger point and made a part of your argument.

Well you added up wrong then, but just leave it.

Except, protestations aside, you segued that into notice of her cat, that you adopted and from there, ultimately, to:

"Ok, that's nature and the cat was just doing what comes naturally regardless but the whole incident reminded me of this exchange and just why I don't hold truck with any concept or doctrine of suffering. You feel free to believe in your 'orthodox' hell TH. There's little point in continuing this any further really."

And? I do recall what I wrote that night TH...

Of course not.

Um, you think there is some sort of compassion with 'hell'?! You kinda need to clarify that...

So you don't believe your understanding on the point is a better one? If you do then you've made what you believe is a superior choice, even if your aim isn't to lord it over anyone. The problem is that when you couple that with zeal it is almost impossible not to come to the sort of thing I noted. It's what let you describe my part as glib or watered down, etc. It's the thing that led to my objection, fueled my reticence on the profit of anyone debating the point.

What can I say, I have an inbuilt moral objection to torturous suffering and cruelty, it's not trying to be superior to anyone. I've seen the horror that various 'hell' doctrines inflict on people, from outright dread to despair for those close who have died and it's horrendous. If some form of it is true for all those who miss the 'narrow path' then believe me it would be a lot easier to selfishly embrace such a doctrine but I can't do that. When I say you're being glib I don't mean that as intentional on your part but I do wonder just how much you actually consider how psychologically affecting such doctrines actually are. From a literalist perspective you actually are watering down the doctrine because you don't believe people are actually burning in literal fire. Take a gander at some of the 'takes' on 'hell' from centuries back to the present where it wasn't unheard of for people to believe that babies roasted in flames if they weren't baptized etc.

All thanks to so called "religious orthodoxy". Good for those who aren't constrained by it frankly...

Alate_One

Even among the "orthodox" there's no consensus on it. If there were there wouldn't be so many different opinions on what exactly it is or entails. Rather bizarre considering one would expect such a teaching to be completely black and white given the magnitude of it. It may not be 'orthodox' in your opinion for any teaching to stray from the parameters in regards to duration/separation but there's no denying there's plenty of support for 'hell' being no such thing as you describe or as religious orthodoxy dictates. Then again it's not exactly the biggest yardstick for actual truth anyway. Plenty of the religious leaders of the day seemed to think they had a monopoly on an understanding of law and the 'truth' and look what happened there...

Let me just add my view on the current discussion. Gehenna was an actual location where refuse was burned. Things generally burn up when placed there. The idea of eternal suffering comes from one not-so-biblical idea - that the soul cannot be destroyed, not even by God. Therefore if someone is put into fire, they burn forever due to the soul existing forever.

However, that's not what Jesus implied.

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Instead, fear the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Destroy is not torture eternally last I checked.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
There is nothing approaching absolute consistency on the matter, just among those who ascribe to 'hell/the lake of fire' being eternal. I've heard a myriad opinions on the matter in my formative church years and seen a myriad more on here. It simply isn't black and white so why isn't it?
You're talking about the particular expression. I'm speaking to the thing itself. That said, Christ seemed pretty clear on the point, however men choose to consider the particulars. When I read him I find some of my speculation hard to support.

Even in translation from the original texts? This isn't like having a disagreement over a bus timetable TH...and when it comes to those original words then many of the original translators didn't glean anything like the ensuing tradition that followed. Does it even occur to you that religious orthodoxy might just be open to question, or are you only interested in working within a framework that denies any further inquiry into its legitimacy?
I certainly hope there's no truth to that, but as none of us are perfect, most of us believe what we believe sincerely, there's always the chance that error can become insulated. That's one reason for our gathering, considering together and even submission to the authority of the Body in that collective, being mindful in prayer that our elders are Godly men.

Yes you were TH. You started off your answer in a completely arrogant fashion and have upped the ante on that score since.
Don't know what to tell you other than that's not how I'm approaching you. It's why I've tried to steer us away from the sort of conversation that can reduce to negatives accomplishing little good. I haven't been going after you at all. You won't find a lightly dismissive "glib" or "watered down" among my answers framing you. You won't find my questioning if you've considered your position or know much about the subject. And you won't read me accounting your approach as arrogance, by way of. The strongest rebuke you'll have from me is this: stop.

I wish I hadn't bloody mentioned it now frankly but hey, thanks for your condolencies
I'm sorry for your loss, but I don't think it's fair to use that narrative to make a larger point then frame me as inconsiderate for noting its use. I had no idea when you lost your friend, but assumed it was some time ago. I wouldn't have thought of offering condolences because among my people it would be unacceptable to mention a recent passing of consequence within the framework of a difference. I don't say that in judgment of your use, but to mark why you were met by me as you were. It couldn't occur to me within my cultural context. You obviously have a different one and it could be that part of what you see as my arrogance is related to conventions within it that I'm blind to.

and the ensuing condescension as if I can't scroll back and read the whole exchange myself. I happen to know my intent from the get go and it wasn't planned as what you presume.
The condescension you're reading in has nothing to do with how I'm actually thinking about it or approaching it. That's as clear as I can make it.

Um, you think there is some sort of compassion with 'hell'?! You kinda need to clarify that...
Oh, the of course not was in response to the first part/sentence. I meant to excise the second sentence but forgot.

What can I say, I have an inbuilt moral objection to torturous suffering and cruelty, it's not trying to be superior to anyone.
You don't see that as the least bit superior or condescending? Because if others who differ with you also have that or as much of that then it can't be meaningful as a statement determining your position. It's only a meaningful statement if you believe those things mandate your response to the idea/reality of hell and it then can't be said of those who differ.

I've seen the horror that various 'hell' doctrines inflict on people, from outright dread to despair for those close who have died and it's horrendous.
Are you talking about Christians who've had love ones die apart from grace? I remember when I was a young atheist and a youth pastor was trying to recruit me at college. I raised that point with him and as it happened his father, whom he loved, had to his understanding done exactly that. His response was twofold: first, he said hell motivated his zeal to witness and secondly that God alone was the judge of men's souls and that he trusted God in His judgment, had to trust that whatever that entailed he would be reconciled to it...I didn't believe any of it, but I was impressed by the course of his faith, where and how it vested.

I've met people who answered alter calls in fear for their souls who grew into a mature faith rooted in love for their fellows and an abiding gratitude to God for grace. Some come running from and some running to. I just happen to feel there's so much to run to, so much more in the here and living than Pascal calculated for all the ever-aftering.

If some form of it is true for all those who miss the 'narrow path' then believe me it would be a lot easier to selfishly embrace such a doctrine but I can't do that.
So people who differ with you on the point are selfishly embracing a doctrine?

When I say you're being glib I don't mean that as intentional on your part but I do wonder just how much you actually consider how psychologically affecting such doctrines actually are.
And that doesn't strike you as the least bit condescending?

From a literalist perspective you actually are watering down the doctrine because you don't believe people are actually burning in literal fire.
I don't agree with your judgment on that, but I've made a few speculations on the point...what I know and attest to is that hell exists, that it exists as an extension of judgment, that it is a separation from God and that it involves suffering.

Take a gander at some of the 'takes' on 'hell' from centuries back to the present where it wasn't unheard of for people to believe that babies roasted in flames if they weren't baptized etc. All thanks to so called "religious orthodoxy". Good for those who aren't constrained by it frankly...
Constrained...not all beliefs are rooted in scripture. There's nothing in the Bible to give people the notion of roasting babies that I can think of...what orthodoxy? Orthodoxy, historically, is nothing more or less than the best understanding of men dedicated to examining the truth of God's word together as we are called to.

It's inarguable that men will err and we will certainly differ on any number of things, but I've rarely seen a more vulnerable, unsettled and more endangered Christian than one who makes of himself the singular arbiter of the particulars of his faith. In fact, such a Christian is already in rebellion against the instruction of God.

Reactions: Lon

Arthur Brain

You're talking about the particular expression. I'm speaking to the thing itself. That said, Christ seemed pretty clear on the point, however men choose to consider the particulars. When I read him I find some of my speculation hard to support.

What? I'm simply expressing the fact that there's no clear and absolute consensus on the matter full stop, just among the more "traditional". I wish you'd just talk in clear terms sometimes as what on earth do you mean by 'speaking to the thing itself' in context? Also, when you talk about Christ seeming pretty clear on the point then how, and what translation? Even going with the 'beloved' KJV bible then it smacks of metaphor rather than literal and what about the lake of fire? Is that literal? is hell actually physically cast into the thing along with death? Can you explain that?

I certainly hope there's no truth to that, but as none of us are perfect, most of us believe what we believe sincerely, there's always the chance that error can become insulated. That's one reason for our gathering, considering together and even submission to the authority of the Body in that collective, being mindful in prayer that our elders are Godly men.

Well, the truth of the matter is that not all bibles are the same so if there is an inerrant version then who's to say which one? Who's to say that the resulting and erratic 'orthodoxy' of eternal hell is actually correct? Why should Origen et al be heretics and Augustine and the "orthodox" church be given a free pass in regards to doctrine?

Don't know what to tell you other than that's not how I'm approaching you. It's why I've tried to steer us away from the sort of conversation that can reduce to negatives accomplishing little good. I haven't been going after you at all. You won't find a lightly dismissive "glib" or "watered down" among my answers framing you. You won't find my questioning if you've considered your position or know much about the subject. And you won't read me accounting your approach as arrogance, by way of. The strongest rebuke you'll have from me is this: stop.

Where it comes to the "glib" & "watered down" remarks I've explained their use in detail. This time around I would sooner you 'stop' in regards to the friend I told you about and your presumed intent on my behalf. I'm not going to respond on that score any further and I'd sooner you did me the courtesy of completely dropping that as well.

Oh, the of course not was in response to the first part/sentence. I meant to excise the second sentence but forgot.

Right, well, makes more sense then, pretty hard to use any sort of a compassionate argument where it comes to a doctrine of eternal suffering of some sort..

You don't see that as the least bit superior or condescending? Because if others who differ with you also have that or as much of that then it can't be meaningful as a statement determining your position. It's only a meaningful statement if you believe those things mandate your response to the idea/reality of hell and it then can't be said of those who differ.

Not really, no. It's not like it's something I have a choice in to be honest. The notion of eternal or any sort of pointless suffering is abhorrent to me. "Hell" is the ultimate in fear mongering on that level so I can't help but question any doctrine that promotes it in any fashion, especially from a supposedly loving God. Doesn't mean I feel as though I'm so much better than anyone who does follow such a doctrine or believe in such. I ain't.

Are you talking about Christians who've had love ones die apart from grace? I remember when I was a young atheist and a youth pastor was trying to recruit me at college. I raised that point with him and as it happened his father, whom he loved, had to his understanding done exactly that. His response was twofold: first, he said hell motivated his zeal to witness and secondly that God alone was the judge of men's souls and that he trusted God in His judgment, had to trust that whatever that entailed he would be reconciled to it...I didn't believe any of it, but I was impressed by the course of his faith, where and how it vested.

Those and more, and to be quite frank what you describe from this pastor, well intentioned as it may have been is pretty much the bog standard response on such issues. If your traditional orthodoxy on hell/the lake of fire is right then most of mankind is gonna end up there. Put a pastor on the spot and most of them will say something similar. Heck, I've had similar convos on here, even with Calvinists who when I try to get them to give a straight answer will just give a pretty much pat answer for the most part where it comes to loved ones. That nobody knows, it's God's call etc etc...

I've met people who answered alter calls in fear for their souls who grew into a mature faith rooted in love for their fellows and an abiding gratitude to God for grace. Some come running from and some running to. I just happen to feel there's so much to run to, so much more in the here and living than Pascal calculated for all the ever-aftering.

Well, if you've got a volcanic lake of lava rumbling after you then running away from it is certainly a prudent way to go, but as before, coercion and threats of horror don't invite genuine love, not at all. Nobody got a choice in being here TH and please do not make some semantic point about that...

So people who differ with you on the point are selfishly embracing a doctrine?

If it's out of fear for their own butt then yes, understandably so but yes. So would I be if I only followed such out of dread, almost did. Doctrines such as that instill fear and there's nothing any human despot or sadistic tyrant could do that would hold a candle to the prospect of eternal torment.

And that doesn't strike you as the least bit condescending?

Well, in honesty, no and it certainly wasn't intended as such even if that's how you've taken it. Given your position on this topic I've not really seen anything from you that suggests you've seen just how such doctrines can floor people and lead to all manner of psychosis even. If I'm wrong then hey, correct me.

I don't agree with your judgment on that, but I've made a few speculations on the point...what I know and attest to is that hell exists, that it exists as an extension of judgment, that it is a separation from God and that it involves suffering.

It's not my judgement, it's what many 'traditionalist's did and plenty still do believe. If 'hell' is the grave then sure, it exists, but if it is this place of agonizing fiery torment then there's the suffering aspect TH, so why would you speculate and fashion your own understanding on the topic?

Constrained...not all beliefs are rooted in scripture. There's nothing in the Bible to give people the notion of roasting babies that I can think of...what orthodoxy? Orthodoxy, historically, is nothing more or less than the best understanding of men dedicated to examining the truth of God's word together as we are called to.

It was rather more a case of unbaptized babies, children roasting in the same literal fiery hell that traditional doctrine dictated for anyone "unsaved". Such is the nature of the thing...

It's inarguable that men will err and we will certainly differ on any number of things, but I've rarely seen a more vulnerable, unsettled and more endangered Christian than one who makes of himself the singular arbiter of the particulars of his faith. In fact, such a Christian is already in rebellion against the instruction of God.

What instruction and what rebellion? If you place tradition & adherence to "orthodox" doctrine as integral then who's to say you aren't just making an icon of religiosity itself?

ClimateSanity

Can anyone say ECHO CHAMBER???

No wonder these people are brainwashed. They all repeat the party line and slap each other on the back so hard, you can hear spines cracking.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
As for the latter then of course, there is no compassion with 'hell'.

Rev 14:9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,

10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and
he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone
in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and
they have no rest day nor night
who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

why should God have compassion on those who turn from Him and sign up with the opposing team?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I would sooner you 'stop' in regards to the friend I told you about and your presumed intent on my behalf.
All I can tell you is that I didn't presume your use of that narrative or mean any offense in my noting...and I won't go further with arguing the point. Instead, I'll leave the post on the it in spoilers below with why I believe what I do, from your hand, in bold for your consideration at some point.

Spoiler

Your belief in regards to what 'hell' comprises of or is is hardly 'orthodox' in any sense be it Catholic or else, so even you only take an 'orthodox' approach to a certain extent.

Recentlymy neighbour and very good friend died who was in religious terms what you may describe as a lax Catholic. Who she was was a very generous person who would do anything for anyone if she could. Many testified to that at her funeral and at the wake, and I certainly testify to it after her generosity to me through the years.I adopted the stray cat that she had adopted herself about six weeks ago and about an hour ago it brought a ravaged bird into the living room and dropped it on the floor. All I saw at first was feathers and then I saw the bird itself, helpless and terrified at the feet of a cat who was probably intending it as a present. I shouted at the cat and shooed it out of the room and tried to help the bird that was obviously in shock. I didn't want to cause it any pain as I didn't know how badly damaged it was but when I gingerly tried to move it it shrieked and panicked. I couldn't just leave it on the floor though. I managed to pick it up finally when it had calmed down and take it outside but it's touch and go as to whether it can really survive out there. I toyed with the idea of killing it but that's a final resort for me.

Ok, that's nature and the cat was just doing what comes naturally regardless but the whole incident reminded me of this exchange and just why I don't hold truck with any concept or doctrine of suffering. You feel free to believe in your 'orthodox' hell TH. There's little point in continuing this any further really.

That aside I see what escaped me the first reading was "recently". Again, probably my conditioning on the point. If that had sunk in I would have excised the thing except for the ending and, again, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Not really, no. It's not like it's something I have a choice in to be honest.
How does that act as a buffer? You believe one thing for your own reasons. You understand others believe a different thing for theirs. In advancing your belief you move beyond that sort of declaration or one on points to assert that the reason for your difference is that you possess "an inbuilt moral objection to torturous suffering and cruelty". It follows, logically, that those who differ must lack that inbuild or degree of sensitivity to oppose you. If it doesn't suggest that then your inbuild can't have anything to do with your lack of choice and its inclusion then can't make any point for you. At the very least it is inescapably superior. Is the belief we hold a superior moral, personal position, related as such condescending? Maybe not, but if it doesn't have to be made to advance an honest difference, maybe so. And that's the problematic nature of rhetoric and perhaps why we should ask one another for clarity and not presume the worst sorts of self serving intentions.

The notion of eternal or any sort of pointless suffering is abhorrent to me.
And I think that's perfectly fine as a statement, disagreement on the point of what produces it notwithstanding. Pointless though...that's a valuation and where some of the argument begins. It is just that men are judged and found wanting and in that want must be separated from God as surely as sin itself is separated from God?

"Hell" is the ultimate in fear mongering on that level so I can't help but question any doctrine that promotes it in any fashion, especially from a supposedly loving God. Doesn't mean I feel as though I'm so much better than anyone who does follow such a doctrine or believe in such. I ain't.
I think as an operation of reason you believe yourself to be superior on the point or you wouldn't hold it. I don't think it follows that you think you consider yourself better than others because of it. My point in raising the problem of rhetoric was mostly to demonstrate how easily we can assert the motivation of others. I'm fine with accepting your intent on the point.

Those and more, and to be quite frank what you describe from this pastor, well intentioned as it may have been is pretty much the bog standard response on such issues. If your traditional orthodoxy on hell/the lake of fire is right then most of mankind is gonna end up there. Put a pastor on the spot and most of them will say something similar. Heck, I've had similar convos on here, even with Calvinists who when I try to get them to give a straight answer will just give a pretty much pat answer for the most part where it comes to loved ones. That nobody knows, it's God's call etc etc...
When faced with something that overwhelms our understanding the response should be to both pray for guidance and to trust the God who has earned our trust in every moment of our consideration. I wouldn't belittle that response as a "pat answer" and don't believe you should either. It may be a tremendous act of faith on the part of that pastor or some of the people you speak to...it doesn't require your agreement, but it merits respect.

Well, if you've got a volcanic lake of lava rumbling after you then running away from it is certainly a prudent way to go, but as before, coercion and threats of horror don't invite genuine love, not at all. Nobody got a choice in being here TH and please do not make some semantic point about that...
Like I said to shag, you can see it as a threat and coercion or you can look at it as a warning that your house is on fire and that you will die as a consequence if you don't do something about it. It's context.

Is a fireman trying to coerce you? If so, it's for the good and there's no real complaint against it. Who derives the benefit? And whatever our reason, a closer walk with God, a contemplation of the cross and an indwelling of the spirit invites love.

If it's out of fear for their own butt then yes, understandably so but yes.
So the family escaping their burning house is acting selfishly? Then selfish behavior can serve the good. Just as it is self serving and therefore selfish to act to further our highest principles, even though their elevation serves everyone. Selfish is a bit slippery as you're applying it.

So would I be if I only followed such out of dread, almost did. Doctrines such as that instill fear and there's nothing any human despot or sadistic tyrant could do that would hold a candle to the prospect of eternal torment.
Well, unless you've shed a profession of faith you did follow, only you ran toward and not from. Else, a despotic, sadistic tyrant could never justify his actions (and likely wouldn't care to) any more than he'd be found sacrificing for others.

What I know is this: if a literal lake of fire and eternal torment is the truth of hell, then it is a just truth, however incomprehensible that might be to me. Because I know the author of it is incomprehensibly good and just. The lack would be in my understanding, not in God's nature. That said, I don't pretend to have an easy answer on the particulars so many argue within the context of hell. I have informed speculation and, ultimately, absent anything else, a trust in God. I'd say to anyone of any particular stripe that the last part of my declaration must be true for all of us in our relative certainty and uncertainty or what's the point?

Well, in honesty, no and it certainly wasn't intended as such even if that's how you've taken it.
I'm not really taking it that way, only underlining how it could be and how easily we can assume a point reasonably.

Given your position on this topic I've not really seen anything from you that suggests you've seen just how such doctrines can floor people and lead to all manner of psychosis even. If I'm wrong then hey, correct me.
I'd answer that many ideas and things can be deadly to one and medicinal to another. That most of the good and evil in the world is found in how we approach and use them.

It's not my judgement, it's what many 'traditionalist's did and plenty still do believe. If 'hell' is the grave then sure, it exists, but if it is this place of agonizing fiery torment then there's the suffering aspect TH, so why would you speculate and fashion your own understanding on the topic?
Because there was a time when I considered the subject for a number of reasons in an attempt to reconcile my understanding to what I believed I knew of God...the problem was that what I was really doing was demanding that God justify Himself to me. When that became clear I stopped talking about and to Him and listened instead. I was led elsewhere. I may return to considering it again at some point, if God leads me there. At present I'm not...whether that means I have the right notion, enough of the right notion or God was tired of watching me stumble about and would rather I continue my walk until He brings me back to the consideration with a better understanding, I can't say. And so, I rest in faith.

I came into this thread because shag was presenting a stunted window into our faith. I thought it merited more and tried to proffer a bit of that. I never entered the thread to discuss the particulars of hell.

It was rather more a case of unbaptized babies, children roasting in the same literal fiery hell that traditional doctrine dictated for anyone "unsaved". Such is the nature of the thing...
I can't understand how anyone ever drew that out of scripture or even a rudimentary understanding of God's people and accountability. But given the whole racist use of the mark of Cain business I don't put much past some any more than I'm shocked by evil men pretending to be moral leaders. It comes with the territory and its one reason we should measure teachings by the Bible and pray for those who instruct and shepherd us.

What instruction and what rebellion?
Instruction to gather, the instruction to pray for and submit to elders within the church. Hebrews 13:17, for one, though there are more.

If you place tradition & adherence to "orthodox" doctrine as integral then who's to say you aren't just making an icon of religiosity itself?
Hopefully the above clears it sufficiently...if not, here's a good link to able and authoritative commentary on the point.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
That's what I referenced earlier. Though Catholic orthodoxy does offer a bit more specificity as well and every Catholic with a differing idea about what the church should teach doesn't stand even with the authority of the Church. From the Catechism:

IV. HELL​

1034 Jesus often speaks of "Gehenna" of "the unquenchable fire" reserved for those who to the end of their lives refuse to believe and be converted, where both soul and body can be lost.614Jesus solemnly proclaims that he "will send his angels, and they will gather . . . all evil doers, and throw them into the furnace of fire,"615 and that he will pronounce the condemnation: "Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire!"616

1035 The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire."617 The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

You noted the part about the chief punishment being separation from God, right? That's not necessarily a definition other denoms would use.

I haven't read through your last exchange of posts with AB, but I'm puzzled as to why you're using the CCC to make your point when you're not Catholic and neither is he. Yes, a lot of Christendom is Catholic, but most of your coreligionists here would consider Catholicism not much better than "other," if even that. And the Catholic view of salvation isn't the same as yours, either, since I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you're OSAS?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You noted the part about the chief punishment being separation from God, right? That's not necessarily a definition other denoms would use.
Well, there's a bit more than that but nothing in the more that really contradicts the idea of the chief loss of a man being found in that separation.

I haven't read through your last exchange of posts with AB, but I'm puzzled as to why you're using the CCC to make your point when you're not Catholic and neither is he.
I set it out in one of the posts you haven't come to...or, it's about establishing the orthodoxy of the belief in hell. So noting Catholics, or Methodists subscribe to it (though I'm neither) is limited to that particular.

Yes, a lot of Christendom is Catholic, but most of your coreligionists here would consider Catholicism not much better than "other," if even that.
It's possible, though I don't see what that has to do with my position or advances.

And the Catholic view of salvation isn't the same as yours, either, since I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you're OSAS?
Our difference is in whether or not a person controls it. I think that the moment we say we do we bring in merit, the thing that men can boast about. Why am I still a Christian when my friend has declared himself or herself outside of the Body? Well, I maintained. I worked. I did what he or she did not. To me that's fairly problematic.

In any event, none of that has much to do with my establishing that the foundational agreement of Christendom is that hell exists and follows judgment. It's orthodoxy, shared by the overwhelming majority of Christendom and Catholicism being the larger portion of the Body I used it as an illustration of the point.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
London's Muslim mayor Sadiq Khan believes Islam is completely compatible within Western Society yet studies contradict this claim. Below are the results of a study on a representative 1081 muslims of the more than 3 million living in Britain:

Only 74 percent completely condemn “suicide bombing to fight injustice”;
Only 66 percent completely condemn stoning those who commit adultery;
Only 53 percent completely condemn violence against those who mock Muhammad;
Only 34 percent would contact police if they believed someone close to them was involved with jihadism;
23 percent believe Sharia law should replace British law in areas with large Muslim populations;
52 percent believe homosexuality should be illegal;
31 percent believe polygamy should be legal;
39 percent believe women should always obey their husbands;
35 percent believe Jews have too much power in the UK.

Is the Muslim mayor correct or is Donald Trump?

Depends. :idunno:

My primary question is what do you think this study accomplishes? What is the hope, if there is one?

Islam has a spectrum of belief. And if there are Muslims living in western nations then it would seem clear that Islam can be compatible. The real question, which came up in your exchange with rex earlier in the thread, is if core Islam makes it harder for someone to fit in with 'western society', however that's defined. And how it matches up against the core of other religions.

But I'm not sure what is to be accomplished by it. Do you want Islam to be incompatible? I feel like there are segments of Christianity that WANT to be at war with Islam, that want to argue that Islam can't get along with western nations. As if Christianity looks better if the 'true Muslims' are the terrorists.

Have you posted a link to the study?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Well, there's a bit more than that but nothing in the more that really contradicts the idea of the chief loss of a man being found in that separation.

Well, there's a bit of difference to be found between separation and everlasting tormenting hellfire.

I set it out in one of the posts you haven't come to...or, it's about establishing the orthodoxy of the belief in hell. So noting Catholics, or Methodists subscribe to it (though I'm neither) is limited to that particular.

That's my point though. A non-Catholic pointing another non-Catholic to the Catholic Catechism instead of using scripture - that puzzles me.

It's possible, though I don't see what that has to do with my position or advances.

You may not see it, but I do. Ask a Christian friend of yours if he or she would use the Catholic catechism in support of Christian doctrine. Or, just hand them a 10 foot pole. :chuckle:

Our difference is in whether or not a person controls it. I think that the moment we say we do we bring in merit, the thing that men can boast about. Why am I still a Christian when my friend has declared himself or herself outside of the Body? Well, I maintained. I worked. I did what he or she did not. To me that's fairly problematic.

You worked? You did what he or she did not? I thought it was grace, unmerited?

In any event, none of that has much to do with my establishing that the foundational agreement of Christendom is that hell exists and follows judgment. It's orthodoxy, shared by the overwhelming majority of Christendom and Catholicism being the larger portion of the Body I used it as an illustration of the point.

In my mind it does. I'm bringing up something that struck me in your words, and was looking for clarification.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, there's a bit of difference to be found between separation and everlasting tormenting hellfire.
Okay, though that fire is also found in the catechism.

That's my point though. A non-Catholic pointing another non-Catholic to the Catholic Catechism instead of using scripture - that puzzles me.
I've referenced Christ on the point prior and the catechism references it as well. But, again, if I'm pointing out that Christendom's orthodoxy is to recognize hell it would be peculiar if I omitted the largest branch of the family.

You may not see it, but I do. Ask a Christian friend of yours if he or she would use the Catholic catechism in support of Christian doctrine. Or, just hand them a 10 foot pole. :chuckle:
I know that's not the sort of response I'm accustomed to from Protestants, serious differences notwithstanding. I have an uncle who is a bit like that, but mostly the response to Catholicism around TOL isn't what I see among my branch of the faithful and I don't subscribe to it, which is why I've defended Catholicism more than once around here...I don't recall anyone ever calling that defense unusual. I didn't find it so.

You worked? You did what he or she did not? I thought it was grace, unmerited?
Either you missed the point or I didn't put it clearly enough. I'm saying that the problem with accepting the notion of negating your salvation is that it throws your conduct into the merit pool. If you say you have to do X to maintain your salvation then it is your works that assure you and not Christ.

In my mind it does.
How?

I'm bringing up something that struck me in your words, and was looking for clarification.
Happy to oblige. :cheers:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
ISIS-stoning-two-girls-to-death-620x358.jpg

CKnT-DWWcAAgACL.jpg

Militants%2Bof%2Bthe%2BIslamic%2BState%2Bthrow%2Ba%2Byoung%2Bman%2Boff%2Ba%2Broof%2Bin%2BNineveh%2Bfor%2Bbeing%2Bgay.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
philly-muslim3.jpeg

Mrs. Clinton wants a 500% increase in jihadists from Syria to come to the US. This is how much she hates America. Well, so does Bernie and Soetoro.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
2015-09-17_152253.jpg

isis-gay-execution-640x480.jpg

Mrs Clinton wants a 500% increase in jihadists entering America. I only have enough ammo for my immediate family and in-laws. Make the right choice.

Arthur Brain

All I can tell you is that I didn't presume your use of that narrative or mean any offense in my noting...and I won't go further with arguing the point. Instead, I'll leave the post on the it in spoilers below with why I believe what I do, from your hand, in bold for your consideration at some point.

I won't be addressing this anymore.

That aside I see what escaped me the first reading was "recently". Again, probably my conditioning on the point. If that had sunk in I would have excised the thing except for the ending and, again, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Thank you.

How does that act as a buffer? You believe one thing for your own reasons. You understand others believe a different thing for theirs. In advancing your belief you move beyond that sort of declaration or one on points to assert that the reason for your difference is that you possess "an inbuilt moral objection to torturous suffering and cruelty". It follows, logically, that those who differ must lack that inbuild or degree of sensitivity to oppose you. If it doesn't suggest that then your inbuild can't have anything to do with your lack of choice and its inclusion then can't make any point for you. At the very least it is inescapably superior. Is the belief we hold a superior moral, personal position, related as such condescending? Maybe not, but if it doesn't have to be made to advance an honest difference, maybe so. And that's the problematic nature of rhetoric and perhaps why we should ask one another for clarity and not presume the worst sorts of self serving intentions.

The counter there is that certain points of view can be interpreted as superior especially when it's regarding contentious and emotive subject matter such as this. So I make an honest claim and someone can accuse me of feeling morally superior because of it. Does that in fact hold up, or could it equally be that such an argument is given because of a personal reaction to the claim and contrariness of opinion? I don't feel superior to anyone who believes in eternal suffering simply by holding to having no truck with anything that promotes it myself. Years ago you'd have a different answer on that score but as much as I detest such doctrines I don't believe that everyone who holds to them are inferior people or that I'm so much better for not etc.

And I think that's perfectly fine as a statement, disagreement on the point of what produces it notwithstanding. Pointless though...that's a valuation and where some of the argument begins. It is just that men are judged and found wanting and in that want must be separated from God as surely as sin itself is separated from God?

If lack of perfection is the yardstick then sure, all are found wanting but the nature of judgement, duration and purpose are not so black and white.

I think as an operation of reason you believe yourself to be superior on the point or you wouldn't hold it. I don't think it follows that you think you consider yourself better than others because of it. My point in raising the problem of rhetoric was mostly to demonstrate how easily we can assert the motivation of others. I'm fine with accepting your intent on the point.

Then the same would apply to you for holding yours, or anyone else who proffers an opinion if that were to hold true.

When faced with something that overwhelms our understanding the response should be to both pray for guidance and to trust the God who has earned our trust in every moment of our consideration. I wouldn't belittle that response as a "pat answer" and don't believe you should either. It may be a tremendous act of faith on the part of that pastor or some of the people you speak to...it doesn't require your agreement, but it merits respect.

The fact that such a concept is so overwhelming to human minds invites speculation as to why a loving God would actually do such a thing first and foremost. Secondly, it depends on how the matter is approached and whether the person is giving a 'pat' answer to avoid the discomfort or whether they're actually being put on the spot and trying to be indirect. If a grieving widow asks point blank whether their husband is awaiting 'hell' if they hadn't believed then a 'pat answer' isn't going to hold really.

Like I said to shag, you can see it as a threat and coercion or you can look at it as a warning that your house is on fire and that you will die as a consequence if you don't do something about it. It's context.

Is a fireman trying to coerce you? If so, it's for the good and there's no real complaint against it. Who derives the benefit? And whatever our reason, a closer walk with God, a contemplation of the cross and an indwelling of the spirit invites love.

If a fireman trapped you in your house and set it on fire would you be particularly grateful to him if he pulled you out of it or rather more annoyed that he'd put you in such danger in the first place?

This analogy never works TH. Nobody asks to be thrust into existence which is effectively inside a burning house as it is in context if such "orthodoxy" holds true.

So the family escaping their burning house is acting selfishly? Then selfish behavior can serve the good. Just as it is self serving and therefore selfish to act to further our highest principles, even though their elevation serves everyone. Selfish is a bit slippery as you're applying it.

Of course not but if fear is the motivating principle to do something then it's rooted in self, love isn't. The latter is genuine even if it benefits both recipient and giver.

Well, unless you've shed a profession of faith you did follow, only you ran toward and not from. Else, a despotic, sadistic tyrant could never justify his actions (and likely wouldn't care to) any more than he'd be found sacrificing for others.

They would and have though, even if it's just to themselves and others following in such regimes? Totalitarian states have a habit of brainwashing the populus where independent thought and ethical inquiry aren't welcome, just like certain religious institutions/cults etc...

What I know is this: if a literal lake of fire and eternal torment is the truth of hell, then it is a just truth, however incomprehensible that might be to me. Because I know the author of it is incomprehensibly good and just. The lack would be in my understanding, not in God's nature. That said, I don't pretend to have an easy answer on the particulars so many argue within the context of hell. I have informed speculation and, ultimately, absent anything else, a trust in God. I'd say to anyone of any particular stripe that the last part of my declaration must be true for all of us in our relative certainty and uncertainty or what's the point?

If God's nature is love then I would have thought it was a safe bet that hideous and excruciating torment through eternity was off the cards. The fact that the most sadistic entity couldn't possibly inflict anything worse on its creations would kinda tie in with that. Sure, you can use the 'incomprehensible' aspect but given that most are afforded the ability to think and make decisions, including on a moral basis then there's nothing wrong with questioning doctrines that amount to what are often alienating and hideous on the face of it.

I'm not really taking it that way, only underlining how it could be and how easily we can assume a point reasonably.

Ok.

I'd answer that many ideas and things can be deadly to one and medicinal to another. That most of the good and evil in the world is found in how we approach and use them.

A 'chick tract' would alienate most people. Fear controls, love doesn't.

Because there was a time when I considered the subject for a number of reasons in an attempt to reconcile my understanding to what I believed I knew of God...the problem was that what I was really doing was demanding that God justify Himself to me. When that became clear I stopped talking about and to Him and listened instead. I was led elsewhere. I may return to considering it again at some point, if God leads me there. At present I'm not...whether that means I have the right notion, enough of the right notion or God was tired of watching me stumble about and would rather I continue my walk until He brings me back to the consideration with a better understanding, I can't say. And so, I rest in faith.

Okay, well that's up to you obviously.

I came into this thread because shag was presenting a stunted window into our faith. I thought it merited more and tried to proffer a bit of that. I never entered the thread to discuss the particulars of hell.

I don't think he was offering such a stunted window but rather a more pointed one on the matter we've been discussing. His opinion on that score is hardly a lonely one...

I can't understand how anyone ever drew that out of scripture or even a rudimentary understanding of God's people and accountability. But given the whole racist use of the mark of Cain business I don't put much past some any more than I'm shocked by evil men pretending to be moral leaders. It comes with the territory and its one reason we should measure teachings by the Bible and pray for those who instruct and shepherd us.

Yet they did, and still do. Are they immoral or less superior for believing the way they have/do? That's what happens with certain understandings of scripture and a blinkered adherence to a belief system.

Instruction to gather, the instruction to pray for and submit to elders within the church. Hebrews 13:17, for one, though there are more.

Hopefully the above clears it sufficiently...if not, here's a good link to able and authoritative commentary on the point.

What if your 'elders' are at Westboro baptist church?

;)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thank you.
:thumb:

The counter there is that certain points of view can be interpreted as superior especially when it's regarding contentious and emotive subject matter such as this. So I make an honest claim and someone can accuse me of feeling morally superior because of it. Does that in fact hold up, or could it equally be that such an argument is given because of a personal reaction to the claim and contrariness of opinion? I don't feel superior to anyone who believes in eternal suffering simply by holding to having no truck with anything that promotes it myself. Years ago you'd have a different answer on that score but as much as I detest such doctrines I don't believe that everyone who holds to them are inferior people or that I'm so much better for not etc.
Well said. And to be clear, I don't think you believe having a superior position makes you superior as a person. In case that got lost in the shuffle. Most of that was an exercise to note why I'm reticent when it comes to this sort of subject, the problematic nature of the rhetoric involved and how easy it is to read in...as I found you doing with my approach.

Then the same would apply to you for holding yours, or anyone else who proffers an opinion if that were to hold true.
Sure.

The fact that such a concept is so overwhelming to human minds invites speculation as to why a loving God would actually do such a thing first and foremost.
I'd assume necessity. It's a bit like the argument over why we have this universe, with insects and pain, don't you think?

Secondly, it depends on how the matter is approached and whether the person is giving a 'pat' answer to avoid the discomfort or whether they're actually being put on the spot and trying to be indirect. If a grieving widow asks point blank whether their husband is awaiting 'hell' if they hadn't believed then a 'pat answer' isn't going to hold really.
Yeah, I don't like the pat business as it applies to people who have dealt with the problem personally. It may not satisfy, but that could as easily reflect our position and have little to do with their response to it.

If a fireman trapped you in your house and set it on fire would you be particularly grateful to him if he pulled you out of it or rather more annoyed that he'd put you in such danger in the first place?
But God didn't make our choices for us. He didn't start the fire, so to speak. . . :plain:

And as I noted a long time ago, the mechanism by which we deny the impulse to sin is as present when we don't.

This analogy never works TH. Nobody asks to be thrust into existence which is effectively inside a burning house as it is in context if such "orthodoxy" holds true.
I don't see how not asking to be born impacts the analogy at all because existence isn't the burning house, the house is existence. Our actions start the fire. At that point I pick up with God addressing it.

Of course not but if fear is the motivating principle to do something then it's rooted in self, love isn't. The latter is genuine even if it benefits both recipient and giver.
But we've already noted that human beings can't really separate their actions from self interest. Even if you give your life for another you're doing it because it serves an idea you find superior and that serves you. The most altruistic, anonymous act still brings us pleasure of a sort. So you could argue we're only speaking to degree and, again, if that fear moves a sinner into the eventual experience of a loving God I'm not going to say much against it. It might even be the only thing to shake some out of their situation. :idunno:

They would and have though, even if it's just to themselves and others following in such regimes? Totalitarian states have a habit of brainwashing the populus where independent thought and ethical inquiry aren't welcome, just like certain religious institutions/cults etc...
If we use the word as a metric and pursue our walk with God as we're instructed I think the odds are on our side.

If God's nature is love then I would have thought it was a safe bet that hideous and excruciating torment through eternity was off the cards.
I've never said God is one thing. I think his nature is perfect. Love is found in that, as is justice. To my mind the cross is where we find those two realities meeting.

The fact that the most sadistic entity couldn't possibly inflict anything worse on its creations would kinda tie in with that.
Like I've said, from enough distance self defense looks like murder, but it isn't.

Sure, you can use the 'incomprehensible' aspect but given that most are afforded the ability to think and make decisions, including on a moral basis then there's nothing wrong with questioning doctrines that amount to what are often alienating and hideous on the face of it.
I've never said anything against inquiry and examination, though the context for both is important.

A 'chick tract' would alienate most people. Fear controls, love doesn't.
Of course it can, depending. I don't let Jack play with fire, by way of.

I don't think he was offering such a stunted window but rather a more pointed one on the matter we've been discussing. His opinion on that score is hardly a lonely one...
I didn't have that much of a problem demonstrating the problem with some of his focus and the misleading lack of context in it, though we didn't disagree on a number of points. I guess I'll rest on my responses to him in regard to him.

Yet they did, and still do.
I'm sure that's true. Human nature.

Are they immoral or less superior for believing the way they have/do? That's what happens with certain understandings of scripture and a blinkered adherence to a belief system.
That's one way to describe any knowledge or faith. That's the way an atheist might describe any article of faith. Or, you could from one perspective describe my faith in God, my inability or unwillingness to consider a reality where He doesn't exist as being blinkered. To me it's simply a settled question. Some things reduce to context. It makes the metric very, very important and our diligence even more so.

What if your 'elders' are at Westboro baptist church?
Then I'd argue you will likely have to leave that church for another when you get around to reading scripture. There were leaders in early churches undermining Paul's efforts. Lacking the Bible Paul told them to measure by his instruction. But, in general it's one reason we need to be in prayer for our elders even as we read and grow to take our place among them.

And for all the danger of a Westboro, I see more apostasy and peril rooted in the lone ranger approach to faith, which is unsurprising given the root is contrary to God's instruction.

:cheers:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So you never answered my question. Do you think homosexuals should be executed?

No. In general, I don't look for your replies or posts any more. They have no significance on anything. Also, I am unjust. I am not God. He will do things I cannot do because, as I said, I am unjust. I would only execute murderers, slave traders, rapists, and negligent homicides (think DUI crashes that kill. He has told us to execute adulterers also.

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
No. In general, I don't look for your replies or posts any more. They have no significance on anything.

I couldn't care less if you look for my posts. But when you post, expect responses or questions. That's kind of how a forum works.

Also, I am unjust. I am not God. He will do things I cannot do because, as I said, I am unjust. I would only execute murderers, slave traders, and negligent homicides (think DUI crashes that kill. He has told us to execute adulterers also.

Anyway, thank you for your answer, which kind of takes the stuffing out of any nuke Mecca-type posts.

You know well that there are Christians here who would pick up a stone and throw it just like those Muslims did.

Or at least they say they will, from safely behind their computer screens.