Is Islam compatible within Western Society?

ClimateSanity

London's Muslim mayor Sadiq Khan believes Islam is completely compatible within Western Society yet studies contradict this claim. Below are the results of a study on a representative 1081 muslims of the more than 3 million living in Britain:

Only 74 percent completely condemn “suicide bombing to fight injustice”;
Only 66 percent completely condemn stoning those who commit adultery;
Only 53 percent completely condemn violence against those who mock Muhammad;
Only 34 percent would contact police if they believed someone close to them was involved with jihadism;
23 percent believe Sharia law should replace British law in areas with large Muslim populations;
52 percent believe homosexuality should be illegal;
31 percent believe polygamy should be legal;
39 percent believe women should always obey their husbands;
35 percent believe Jews have too much power in the UK.

Is the Muslim mayor correct or is Donald Trump?

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Neither Christianity nor Islam is being practiced as originally intended - for centuries, both have been high-jacked to provide pretexts for secular ambitions.

Before "ClimateSanity" writes off our Islamic neighbors as being incompatible with Western values, it should be noted that it was these so-called "Christian" nations, not the "Islamic" ones, who were the major protagonists in both WW1 and WW2!

rexlunae

Only 74 percent completely condemn “suicide bombing to fight injustice”;
Only 53 percent completely condemn violence against those who mock Muhammad;
Only 34 percent would contact police if they believed someone close to them was involved with jihadism;

How does that compare to member of other religions??

That's literally straight out of the Bible.

Leviticus 20:10, 1 Corinthians 6:9, Hebrews 13:4.

There's even a thread currently ongoing on TOL about how feminists allegedly condone adultery.

23 percent believe Sharia law should replace British law in areas with large Muslim populations;

Do you think you might be able to find some people here who think Biblical law should replace secular law in their countries?

I think the percentage would be higher among Christians here.

31 percent believe polygamy should be legal;

Stop the presses...

I wonder how many Christians here would say the same.

Not a position exclusive to Muslims, and not an entirely unreasonable one. There are several large, powerful pro-Israel lobby groups in the UK and the US. The modern state of Israel was done under the British Mandate of Palestine. How many US Presidential candidates spoke at AIPAC this year, and how does that compare to the attention paid to, say, Palestinian causes? It's not anti-semitic or anti-Western to point out how disproportionate the influence is.

Is the Muslim mayor correct or is Donald Trump?

Forget "Western Society", the degree to which any religion is compatible with diverse, modern civilizations depends on how well its followers can find ways to tone down their harsher aspects. Many Muslims do this just as well as any other citizen of the West, and honestly, better than people who automatically profile a person just because they're Muslim.

So, by all indications, London's new mayor is just fine. You, on the other hand...

ClimateSanity

How does that compare to member of other religions??

That's literally straight out of the Bible.

Leviticus 20:10, 1 Corinthians 6:9, Hebrews 13:4.

There's even a thread currently ongoing on TOL about how feminists allegedly condone adultery.

Do you think you might be able to find some people here who think Biblical law should replace secular law in their countries?

I think the percentage would be higher among Christians here.

Stop the presses...

I wonder how many Christians here would say the same.

Not a position exclusive to Muslims, and not an entirely unreasonable one. There are several large, powerful pro-Israel lobby groups in the UK and the US. The modern state of Israel was done under the British Mandate of Palestine. How many US Presidential candidates spoke at AIPAC this year, and how does that compare to the attention paid to, say, Palestinian causes? It's not anti-semitic or anti-Western to point out how disproportionate the influence is.

Forget "Western Society", the degree to which any religion is compatible with diverse, modern civilizations depends on how well its followers can find ways to tone down their harsher aspects. Many Muslims do this just as well as any other citizen of the West, and honestly, better than people who automatically profile a person just because they're Muslim.

So, by all indications, London's new mayor is just fine. You, on the other hand...

The proper question is how does it compare to what people of other religions would respond to the same questions. That's all that matters.

ClimateSanity

The proper question is how does it compare to what people of other religions would respond to the same questions. That's all that matters.

London's mayor maybe fine as a major for most of the time, but he is obviously blind to the attitudes of many of the British Muslim population.

As for me....what? Spit it out coward.

rexlunae

There wasn't a study on that. I would wager money that most other religions would answer significantly different.

I wouldn't, and there are quite a number of threads currently active on TOL that touch on a number of the issues you've mentioned. But the fact that this "study" was released without background data comparing Muslims to members of other religions for context should tell you something about their partiality.

ClimateSanity

I wouldn't, and there are quite a number of threads currently active on TOL that touch on a number of the issues you've mentioned. But the fact that this "study" was released without background data comparing Muslims to members of other religions for context should tell you something about their partiality.

So you believe if a similar amount of Christians were polled concerning suicide bombing, the result would be ........
Only 74 percent completely condemn “suicide bombing to fight injustice”;?????

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
According to the 2011 Census the population of London identified themselves as:

- Christian 48.4%  

- no religion 20.7%

- Muslim 12.4%

- undeclared 8.5%

- Hindu 5.0%

- Jewish 1.8%

- Sikh 1.5%

- Buddhist 1.0%

- other 0.6%

Obviously London's mayor, Sadiq Khan, was elected by more than just the Muslim vote.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
So you believe if a similar amount of Christians were polled concerning suicide bombing, the result would be ........
Only 74 percent completely condemn “suicide bombing to fight injustice”;?????

I do think a poll of Christians would come out higher but it's a poorly worded question. 'injustice' is too vague. Of course I think of bombing innocents because that's what we commonly see from Islamic terrorists but the question is too broad.

njspolk

There wasn't a study on that. I would wager money that most other religions would answer significantly different.

No one should speculate on that. There needs to be more studies or works cited in order to claim that other religions would answer significantly different.

Also, have you read the Koran or a history of Islam? (Glen Beck doesn't count) Have you read the Vedas or the Bagavad Gita or histories of Hinduism or the Sutras or history of Buddhism.

I'm not trying to team up or convert you to a certain side. I'm just asking these questions because in order for anyone to claim a certain belief about a people group, they should have a good understanding and perspective of that group and other groups in relation or measuring next to it.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

shagster01

Many Christians feel this way. There have been threads on it.

Many other Christians don't feel that way, because they are adulterers themselves.

I'm sure more than that think we should change to Biblical law in this country (see acw, NickM, Musterion, etc...)

One of the most popular Christian topics on this site.

Again, common Christian ideas on this site.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Islam is compatible with nothing. Especially with the 1st amendment. You can't have sharia law and the no-establishment clause.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
31B3547100000578-3469100-image-a-33_1456762715806.jpg

She showed the 4 year old girl who is calling the shots!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
By the way, the nanny will not be charged. The reason rusha, Arthur brain, anna, and others do not oppose it, is because islam opposes the Lord Jesus Christ.

njspolk

Are you acknowledging that the Bible is God's words, and the koran is not?

Mostly. I just don't understand why your emphasis of incompatibility is solely towards Islam. Jewish law and law laid out in the Koran are almost identical, e.g., cutting off limbs, woman submission, even killing the non-believer. Just because a minority of Muslims who are extremists do evil things doesn't mean all of Islam is evil. They may not confess Christ, but that doesn't mean all Muslims are evil.

There are also Buddhist, Hindu and Christian extremists out there. The refugee crisis has a lot to do with Buddhist fundamentalists driving Muslims out. But that doesn't mean all of them are evil. Most religions, including Islam, promote peace and living lives for the good of humanity. Just because it isn't in Christ's name doesn't mean it's evil.

God made all of humanity and has written his law on the heart of all people. They may not get it completely, but neither do Christians. Look at the history of Christendom. Martin Luther burned Jews, the Crusades, the Spanish inquisition etc. We were on the same radar as Islam not more than a millennium ago. We need to promote Christ's love, work with those on the margins and unbelievers so they may see Christ's love. Terrorism and extremism should be stopped, but not with more extremism. Christ's love is triumphant at the end, not his eternal wrath.

djhow

sharia law came two hundred years after Mohamed who to a Muslim is the last prophet or Word from God. Sharia law was born out of a frustration that people wander and stray and a diabolical need to control. The church did it too but didn't add an amendment such as sharia law which has nothing to do with Islam. Islam was inspired by the teaching of Jesus and lived side by side with early Christians until the Crusades started. Ironically the Christian west is still invading. Irony can be quite ironic