Is God Three?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Great question, can't wait to hear what they come up with.
Ignatius a.d. 30–107
Since, also, there is but one unbegotten Being, God, even the Father; and one only-begotten Son, God, the Word and man; and one Comforter, the Spirit of truth; and also one preaching, and one faith, and one baptism;
The Epistle of Ignatius to the Philadelphians Chapter IV

But the Holy Spirit does not speak His own things, but those of Christ, and that not from himself, but from the Lord; even as the Lord also announced to us the things that He received from the Father. For, says He, “the word which ye hear is not Mine, but the Father’s, who sent Me.” And says He of the Holy Spirit, “He shall not speak of Himself, but whatsoever things He shall hear from Me.” And He says of Himself to the Father, “I have,” says He, “glorified Thee upon the earth; I have finished the work which, Thou gavest Me; I have manifested Thy name to men.” And of the Holy Ghost, “He shall glorify Me, for He receives of Mine.”
The Epistle of Ignatius to the Ephesians Chapter IX

For if there is one God of the universe, the Father of Christ, “of whom are all things;” and one Lord Jesus Christ, our [Lord], “by whom are all things;” and also one Holy Spirit, who wrought in Moses, and in the prophets and apostles;
The Epistle of Ignatius to the Philippians Chapter I

clefty

Great question, can't wait to hear what they come up with.

I would be happy with just a name for the Holy Spirit...

I got one for the Father...and for His Son...but not the Holy Spirit...

It’s that simple...if there are three...there would be three names...

They certainly arent equal if they all dont have names...and one remains nameless...

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I would be happy with just a name for the Holy Spirit...

I got one for the Father...and for His Son...but not the Holy Spirit...

It’s that simple...if there are three...there would be three names...
The Father's name is I AM.
The Son's name is I AM.
The Holy Spirit's name is I AM.

Three persons. One NAME.

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, - Matthew 28:19 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew28:19&version=NKJV

He is YHWH.

keypurr

Ignatius a.d. 30–107
Since, also, there is but one unbegotten Being, God, even the Father; and one only-begotten Son, God, the Word and man; and one Comforter, the Spirit of truth; and also one preaching, and one faith, and one baptism;
The Epistle of Ignatius to the Philadelphians Chapter IV

But the Holy Spirit does not speak His own things, but those of Christ, and that not from himself, but from the Lord; even as the Lord also announced to us the things that He received from the Father. For, says He, “the word which ye hear is not Mine, but the Father’s, who sent Me.” And says He of the Holy Spirit, “He shall not speak of Himself, but whatsoever things He shall hear from Me.” And He says of Himself to the Father, “I have,” says He, “glorified Thee upon the earth; I have finished the work which, Thou gavest Me; I have manifested Thy name to men.” And of the Holy Ghost, “He shall glorify Me, for He receives of Mine.”
The Epistle of Ignatius to the Ephesians Chapter IX

For if there is one God of the universe, the Father of Christ, “of whom are all things;” and one Lord Jesus Christ, our [Lord], “by whom are all things;” and also one Holy Spirit, who wrought in Moses, and in the prophets and apostles;
The Epistle of Ignatius to the Philippians Chapter I

Thank you for proving my point.

You are aware that Ignatius is not considered as scripture, right?

keypurr

The Son's name is I AM.

Three persons. One NAME.

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, - Matthew 28:19 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew28:19&version=NKJV

He is YHWH.

The Father's name is YHWH.

You have so much to learn and so little time to do it.
you will find that out if you get to my age, I am still learning also.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The Father's name is YHWH.

You have so much to learn and so little time to do it. you will find that out if you get to my age, I am still learning also.

No, Keypurr, GOD'S name is YHWH. The name applies equally to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

And if you're so enlightened, they why do you refuse to provide a serious rebuttal to what I said in post 3052? Are you a coward? Or are you a liar?

keypurr

No, Keypurr, GOD'S name is YHWH. The name applies equally to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

And if you're so enlightened, they why do you refuse to provide a serious rebuttal to what I said in post 3052? Are you a coward? Or are you a liar?

If your right I guess all the translators in the past 2000 or so years are wrong.
Your either misguided or a liar. Which is it?

What is post 3052? This thread is only at 288?

keypurr

JR. suggest you get the AENT translation at AENT.org, it is chuck full of GREAT notes on the Hebrew religion, well worth having.

clefty

I AM is not a name no matter how many capital letters you use...
The Son's name is I AM.
I AM is still not a name no matter the Son using it to declare Himself present before Abraham...

I AM is still not a name the Holy Spirit used nor did He even us say it to describe His coexistence with the other two...

Three persons. One NAME.
Not three persons and not equal...

and they went and did it not...

http://www.trinitytruth.org/matthew28_19addedtext.html

He is YHWH.
Yes He the Father is...not They are YHWH...and He has a Spirit...a Holy Spirit...there are others...also nameless

He also has Son...with a name...His Name

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I AM is not a name no matter how many capital letters you use...

See, here's the thing. I'm not the one who used capital letters.

Then Moses said to God, “Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is His name?’ what shall I say to them?”And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”Moreover God said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: ‘The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.’Go and gather the elders of Israel together, and say to them, ‘The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared to me, saying, “I have surely visited you and seen what is done to you in Egypt; - Exodus 3:13-16 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus3:13-16&version=NKJV

I AM is still not a name no matter the Son using it to declare Himself present before Abraham...

Then Moses said to God, “Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is His name?’ what shall I say to them?”And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”Moreover God said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: ‘The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.’Go and gather the elders of Israel together, and say to them, ‘The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared to me, saying, “I have surely visited you and seen what is done to you in Egypt; - Exodus 3:13-16 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus3:13-16&version=NKJV

I AM is still not a name the Holy Spirit used nor did He even us say it to describe His coexistence with the other two...

Not three persons and not equal...

Three persons, one being.

and they went and did it not...

Stay on topic please.

Yes He the Father is...not They are YHWH...and He has a Spirit...a Holy Spirit...there are others...also nameless

No, that's not what I said.

I said, God, Father and Son and Holy Spirit, His name is YHWH.

He also has Son...with a name...His Name

God has many names. Some can be used to refer to all three Persons, some can be used only to refer to one of the Persons.

YHWH and I AM are used for all three.

clefty

See, here's the thing. I'm not the one who used capital letters.
Yes you did and because translators did...translators who took the name in vain...

Three persons, one being.
you claim from silence...

Stay on topic please.
is on topic...referring to this

Acts 2:38," Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."
Acts 8:16, "For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus."
Acts 10:48, "And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days."
Acts 19:5, "When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus."
Acts 22:16, 'And now why do you delay? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.’

And when they had placed them in the center, they began to inquire, "By what power, or in what name, have you done this?" 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, "Rulers and elders of the people, 9 if we are on trial today for a benefit done to a sick man, as to how this man has been made well, 10 let it be known to all of you, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead--by this name this man stands here before you in good health" (Acts 4:7-10).
Acts 4:17-18, "But in order that it may not spread any further among the people, let us warn them to speak no more to any man in this name. 18And when they had summoned them, they commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus."
Acts 5:28, "We gave you strict orders not to continue teaching in this name, and behold, you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and intend to bring this man’s blood upon us."
Acts 5:40, "And they took his advice; and after calling the apostles in, they flogged them and ordered them to speak no more in the name of Jesus, and then released them."
Acts 8:12, "But when they believed Philip preaching the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike."
Acts 9:27-28, "But Barnabas took hold of him and brought him to the apostles and described to them how he had seen the Lord on the road, and that He had talked to him, and how at Damascus he had spoken out boldly in the name of Jesus. 28And he was with them moving about freely in Jerusalem, speaking out boldly in the name of the Lord."
Acts 16:18, "And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour."

No, that's not what I said.
makes sense you dont read scripture right if you cant even recall your own posts...

You said He is YWHW and NOT they those three are YHWH

I said, God, Father and Son and Holy Spirit, His name is YHWH.
Not all three and not all equal...and not what you said...you said “He is YHWH” post 284

You might have meant to say or meant to mean but you said He is YHWH.

God has many names. Some can be used to refer to all three Persons, some can be used only to refer to one of the Persons.
The Father has a name the Son His own...the Holy Spirit does not...

YHWH and I AM are used for all three.

By people not clear or wishing to deceive...and no never I AM said the Holy Spirit when asked His Name

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Did John teach a trinity?..................

Did John teach a trinity?..................

Thats assumed, but if your referring to 1 John 5:7 (the Comma Johanneum), thats not enough support for a trinity, beyond the concept being recognized in a side-note or 'gloss' placed into or alongside the text. We cover that here (see all links).

All other places where John speaks of the logos do not necessarily imply or refer to a 'Trinity' per se, and even in Revelation, there is plenty of references of maintaining a Unitarian Christology, with Jesus still being the Messiah-Son, with all divine titles and appellations afforded him, without him having to be 'Almighty God' himself,...he being the anointed AGENT (agency) and representation/representative of 'God'. (here a man can be called 'elohim' as serving as God's voice, prophet, messenger, etc...since the one who comes to represent and speak for a king, is as being the King himself. -not necessary to con-fuse the two). So, one can interpret these passages EITHER WAY.

No contest really, except what you personally CHOOSE to believe and how you interpret the texts, what theology resonates best with you, etc.