Do you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian?

Lon

Since the scriptures do not teach the Trinity, there are only two ways the teaching could have come into the church.
  1. It is a doctrine of man
  2. It is a divine revelation
:nono: It is CLEARLY taught in scripture:

There is only one God and He said there will never be another. Isaiah 43:10; 45:5

Jesus is God John 1:1 and One with the Father.

"Logic" would tell you "two" perhaps, if you are into guessing and trying to 'figure it out.' But that answer is you trying to figure it out.

The term AND idea of the trinity is scripture.

Again, the ONLY thing you have to deal with is what scripture says, what you say, and the disparity. You 'can' assert anything. I'm saying it is a sin to assert your 'guesses.' You have been sinning on TOL for a long time :( Repent.

-Lon

genuineoriginal

:nono: It is CLEARLY taught in scripture:

There is only one God and He said there will never be another. Isaiah 43:10; 45:5

Jesus is God John 1:1 and One with the Father.
And yet, the Holy Spirit dictated to Paul to write these words:

1 Corinthians 15:24-28
24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.​

Do you really believe that the Holy Spirit didn't know what He was having Paul write?
"Logic" would tell you "two" perhaps, if you are into guessing and trying to 'figure it out.' But that answer is you trying to figure it out.
Good thing you have the Roman Catholic Church to tell you what you should believe, since it is not in the Bible.

The term AND idea of the trinity is scripture.
Now you are the one that is guessing and trying to figure it out instead of accepting that the scripture does not teach the Trinity.
Even though you are guessing that the scripture teaches the Trinity, you are having a hard time coming up with any proof of that and cannot deal with the majority of the scripture that seems to contradict the vague verses you believe teaches the Trinity.

Again, the ONLY thing you have to deal with is what scripture says, what you say, and the disparity.
You have to deal with the disparity with what is taught by the Roman Catholic Church and with scripture.

The Roman Catholic Church has taught the trinity since the time of Augustine, but even that organization has to admit that it is not taught in the Bible but is a Christian tradition.

It is a sin to assert your 'guesses.'
I don't assert my "guesses", I assert that the plain teaching of the Bible shows that belief in the Trinity is not necessary for salvation.

So far not a single person has been able to prove otherwise.

genuineoriginal

You are not Catholic either for they do not believe in Sola Scriptura. So what does that make you since you are neither Protestant nor Catholic. What are you. I'm AOG. It is easy to say, only a denomination.
I am non-denominational, but that is not listed as an option.

Acts 24:14-15
14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:
15 And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.​

oatmeal

Read John 3:16 as it gives us proof indeed and beyond. Jesus IS God Incarnate!

Could you point that out?

John 3:16

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

oatmeal

Your mistakes are glaring to the renewed mind, as are the mistakes of all cultists.

You fail to apprehend of first importance that whatever God made man to be, having wisdom and knowledge etc, all this is, so far as spiritual matters completely have been annulled and negated by the fall.

Man is now not what he once was, nor can what we have in the natural be improved or brought back to it's former state...it must be set aside. This Christ did on the cross.

In the natural we have nothing with which to apprehend God, our spirit is dead, slain in trespasses and sin. Man is hopelessly lost.

His only hope is that God will have mercy upon him.

The natural man recieveth not the things of God neither can he for they are foolishness to him.

You indeed count it foolish that the church ha always received Christ as God in the flesh.

All those scriptures you quote are direct revelations...YOU must have a direct revelation.

You ask is it difficult to believe that God created the world, but you refuse to accept that Jesus Christ is that Creator God , "He was in the world and the world was made by Him but the world knew Him not"

You are of the world then.

Totton,

Thanks again with flooding this website with your opinions.

Should I ever want an opinion on any topic, you would be one good source to turn to

Lon

And yet, the Holy Spirit dictated to Paul to write these words:

1 Corinthians 15:24-28

24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.​

Do you really believe that the Holy Spirit didn't know what He was having Paul write?
The "Trinitarian" Creeds say the Son is not the Father.
If you are going to argue with us, know what you are arguing.
I don't want to call you prideful arrogant, but ultimately useless in conversation at this point, but that is where we are headed. Know what we believe and so what you are 'disagreeing' with.

For the record: You are in agreement with us on this point....
Good thing you have the Roman Catholic Church to tell you what you should believe, since it is not in the Bible.
:doh:
Again, For the record: You are in agreement with us (them) on this point... :sigh:

Now you are the one that is guessing and trying to figure it out instead of
accepting that the scripture does not teach the Trinity.
Keep tabs. This is you being incorrect yet a second time. You'll not listen, but I've been showing it is true whether you happen to be paying attention or not. READ YOUR BIBLE! (and perhaps listen to others when 'context' isn't your forte`)
Even though you are guessing that the scripture teaches the Trinity, you are having a hard time coming up with any proof of that and cannot deal with the majority of the scripture that seems to contradict the vague verses you believe teaches the Trinity.
Scripture speaks for itself. I have not known you to have any serious prowess at language nor English structure. I've taught it. I'm positive you wouldn't be allowed to teach English. It would have required exceptional grades.

You have to deal with the disparity with what is taught by the Roman Catholic Church and with scripture.
And, as you've shown, you make up some of this stuff as you go and even disagree on a point you agree with them about.

The Roman Catholic Church has taught the trinity since the time of Augustine, but even that organization has to admit that it is not taught in the Bible but is a Christian tradition.
Never happened. You are making it up.

I don't assert my "guesses", I assert that the plain teaching of the Bible shows that belief in the Trinity is not necessary for salvation.
Yes you do because you are exactly this audacious and arrogant "genuineoriginal."

So far not a single person has been able to prove otherwise.
Plugging your ears kind of makes that a given :sigh: You are an arrogant self-willed, maverick genuineoriginal "other."

That will not change anytime soon in your twisted head, but even though you can't admit it, avatars, monikers, identifications, and mottos don't lie. You CAN'T deny what is already there and they scream arrogant, self-willed, and maverick.

Dan Emanuel

"Because its not taught in Scripture." Its also not taught in Scripture exactly who Caesar Augustus is (Luke 2:1 KJV), though he is mentioned (Matthew 28:19 KJV, 2 Corinthians 13:14 KJV, 1 Peter 1:2 KJV), but that doesn't stop us from knowing who he is.

Since the scriptures do not teach the Trinity, there are only two ways the teaching could have come into the church.
  1. It is a doctrine of man
  2. It is a divine revelation
Correct, and the answer to this riddle is #2. They're is no difference in authority between what the Apostle's (or other's, i.e., Luke, Jame's) wrote as Scripture, and what the Apostle's passed on orally, by word-of-mouth, to just there successor's the bishop's of the Church. Its called Sacred Tradition, the historical Tradition of the Church, as a real historical entity; the Church Jesus Christ Himself built upon Peter.

The teaching authority of the Church was vested in the Apostle's by Jesus (John 20:21 KJV), and He gave Peter the key's to the kingdom (Matthew 16:19 KJV), and He nowhere limited this authority to only what they wrote down.
No, I am "Christian (other)", which means I am not bound by the false doctrines of any denomination.
Neither are those who believe in the papal teaching's on faith, doctrine and morals.'

Daniel

Lon

For Christians: "Trinity" IS in the Bible, clearly. We could have used that word in translating several key passages.

Examples (Triune God is contracted by 'trinity') means the same:

Matthew 28:19 "...baptizing them in the 'name' of the triune God."

1 Corinthians 8:6 "But for us, there is one triune God."

2 Corinthians 13:14 "The Triune God be with you."

1 John 5:7-8 "The Trinity bears witness."

Colossians 2:9 "In Christ is the Godhead bodily"

John 15:26 "Father, Son, Spirit will be with you and in you." One Spirit, 3 representations of Him - Trinity.

We don't tend to translate contracted ideas but rather explain them but these verses all 'say' trinity clearly.

genuineoriginal

The "Trinitarian" Creeds say the Son is not the Father.
And then they turn right around and say He is.

If you are going to argue with us, know what you are arguing.
You should live by your own advice.

I don't want to call you prideful arrogant, but ultimately useless in conversation at this point, but that is where we are headed. Know what we believe and so what you are 'disagreeing' with.

Keep tabs. This is you being incorrect yet a second time. You'll not listen, but I've been showing it is true whether you happen to be paying attention or not. READ YOUR BIBLE! (and perhaps listen to others when 'context' isn't your forte`)
You still are not listening.
The Bible does not teach the Trinity.

What you have been doing is not showing the Bible teaches the Trinity, you are merely showing the proof texts commonly used to show that the Trinity is hidden in the Bible.

Pay attention next time and don't lose control and start ranting and foaming at the mouth like you did this time.

genuineoriginal

For Christians: "Trinity" IS in the Bible, clearly.
What is clear in scripture is the distinction between the Father (called God by Jesus Himself), Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.
The Trinity doctrine came to the church through tradition, not through scripture.

Examples (Triune God is contracted by 'trinity') means the same:

Matthew 28:19 "...baptizing them in the 'name' of the triune God."

1 Corinthians 8:6 "But for us, there is one triune God."

2 Corinthians 13:14 "The Triune God be with you."

1 John 5:7-8 "The Trinity bears witness."

Colossians 2:9 "In Christ is the Godhead bodily"

John 15:26 "Father, Son, Spirit will be with you and in you." One Spirit, 3 representations of Him - Trinity.

We don't tend to translate contracted ideas but rather explain them but these verses all 'say' trinity clearly.
No, they do not.
The fact that you think they do says a lot about your lack of reading comprehension.