"Demonic possession," or mental illness?

StanJ

Sorry, you're not convincing. I hope the next time you 'discern' that someone is possessed, you're friend or family enough help them seek help from a medical professional.

Again, learn English. Discernment does NOT equate to divinity. I know if's hard for RCs to understand this given they have made a lot of human beings divine ones, like Mary. You should really understand the subject matter IF you're going to be the OP.

fzappa13

Sorry, you're not convincing. I hope the next time you 'discern' that someone is possessed, you're friend or family enough help them seek help from a medical professional.

If you confidence is in man you are destined to experience disappointment be your concerns medical or other ...

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Again, learn English. Discernment does NOT equate to divinity.

I said "divine ability," not divinity. Big difference.

I know if's hard for RCs to understand this given they have made a lot of human beings divine ones, like Mary. You should really understand the subject matter IF you're going to be the OP.

You should really understand that I don't find your claimed ability to discern the difference between demonic possession and Tourette's to be at all convincing. Thanks for stopping by.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
If you confidence is in man you are destined to experience disappointment be your concerns medical or other ...

That was curiosity on my part, wondering at the mindset of someone who claims that kind of authority for himself. I wonder if he claims infallibility.

fzappa13

That was curiosity on my part, wondering at the mindset of someone who claims that kind of authority for himself. I wonder if he claims infallibility.

I tend to ignore Stan as I have found him to be something of a slug so I certainly wouldn't attempt to speak for him. I was addressing your posts.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You answered your own question, dear. It's a doctrine and nothing more. Doctrines can neither save or condemn anyone.

Catholic doctrine does, in effect. I realize non-Catholics would view that concept in a different light, but when doctrine tells Catholics if they don't go to Mass on Sunday and don't confess that sin, they're headed for hell. But other denominations have their doctrines too, and the arguments for and against. Like baptism of water, or not. Is that right?

fzappa13

Catholic doctrine does, in effect. I realize non-Catholics would view that concept in a different light, but when doctrine tells Catholics if they don't go to Mass on Sunday and don't confess that sin, they're headed for hell. But other denominations have their doctrines too, and the arguments for and against. Like baptism of water, or not. Is that right?

Yes, I have long said that the various doctrines that have arisen to divide those that claim Christ are exactly what each doctrinal adherent has misunderstood. Baptism is a great example. It's like the rest of God's ordinances which are prophetic symbols of things to come.

Col 2:16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17Which are a shadow of things to come;

Don't mistake the shadow for the thing casting the shadow.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Speak for yourself :thumb:

We mouth off a lot here and get away with it. :reals: Don't try that with an angel. They're scarier than demons to my mind. :shocked:

But the angel said to him, :) “Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your prayer is heard; and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John. And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth. For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb. And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, ‘to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,’ and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

And Zacharias said to the angel, “How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is well advanced in years.”

And the angel answered and said to him, :mmph: “I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and was sent to speak to you and bring you these glad tidings. But behold, you will be mute and not able to speak until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words which will be fulfilled in their own time.” Lk 1:13–20

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Please notice the responses you receive to this thread from unbelievers designed to encourage you to accept this explanation and consider that source. Also notice the responses you receive from true Bible believers and consider that source as well, if you are indeed looking for a Biblical answer.

All acute or chronic dis-ease (lack of physical perfection) is the result of sin having entered into God's perfect creation and ultimately results in physical death. As a result of 6000 years of mistakes piled on mistakes in the genome, we now have health pressures that have steadily increased and will continue to increase as time goes on. There is no one who is not subject to this law of eventual death.

As a result of the disobedience of the head of our race (Adam), our Creator God has pulled back just enough of His protective and sustaining power to allow us to peek into a universe entirely ruled by a Satanic reign of chaos. Not taking these things seriously usually results in an escalation of Satanic symptoms. Fleeing the devil results in an increase of God's protecting power.

Thus, a common cold, cancer, and demonic possession originate from the same source. The difference lies in the danger posed to the individual. It is Biblical to understand that demonic possession, although curable, is much more dangerous as it poses an immediate threat to the soul - that one is closer to the "event horizon" of hell.

The Father, in elevating His Son to the highest position of authority, has provided a permanent and everlasting solution to Paradise Lost but not everyone will embrace the Son and be cured of sin. Why? Disobedience.

You do present a good argument, not that I agree with all you say, just letting you know I think you may be a thinker.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Not all Christians believe in original sin. Catholics do, but not all Christians. What do those who don't believe in original sin say about sin and death?

It is not my job to speak for unbelievers. Believers, because they believe what God tells us, believe in original sin.

My opinion does not matter.
Your opinion does not matter.
What matters is what God says.

Ps 51:5KJV, Ps 14:3KJV, Jer 17:9KJV, Rom 5:12KJV

Catholics baptize babies for that specific reason, to wash away original sin. Catholic doctrine holds out hope for heaven for unbaptized babies, but doesn't guarantee their salvation.

What the Roman Catholic church does or believes is not for me to defend. I believe the Bible only.

What kind of God would deny heaven to an innocent baby?

Try asking the right questions. God denies heaven to no one except those who deny His son. Rom 6:23KJV Can an unborn baby deny Jesus?

What kind of person would decide to rip an innocent baby from its place of safety, a mother's womb, and deliberately kill it? 60+ million since 1973 and counting. Sin, the result of disobedience to God's laws, is active everywhere.

The God of the Bible takes ultimate responsibility for these unborn souls but will punish the unrepentant murderers. Luke 17:1KJV

What kind of doctrine would inflict illness and death on someone for sins they weren't guilty of? I know these aren't original questions at all, but they're my questions right now.

Except for Jesus, there is no one who is not guilty of disobedience of some kind. There are definitely degrees of guilt but the Bible declares that just one is enough for God to pronounce that guilt. Jas 2:10KJV

Have you ever told an untruth however small? You are a liar.
Have you ever hated? You are a murderer.
Have you ever taken something that is not yours? You are a thief.
Have you ever lusted outside of marriage? You are an adulterer.

We are all in the same boat. We are all sinners by nature. The reason we sin is because we are sinners. It is everywhere. It comes out in a million ways every day. Why are so many blind to it is a far better question to ask.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
encephalitis may well lead to brain damage. What one might call mental illness, would you say that is also brain illness?

Take depression, some make a recovery to SSRI druidism, yet most do not and all that serotonin may, and usually leads to lame brain homeostasis

Hedshaker

We mouth off a lot here and get away with it. :reals: Don't try that with an angel. They're scarier than demons to my mind. :shocked:

But the angel said to him, :) “Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your prayer is heard; and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John. And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth. For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb. And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, ‘to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,’ and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

And Zacharias said to the angel, “How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is well advanced in years.”

And the angel answered and said to him, :mmph: “I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and was sent to speak to you and bring you these glad tidings. But behold, you will be mute and not able to speak until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words which will be fulfilled in their own time.” Lk 1:13–20

Lol, yeah. I have to wonder if there really are fairies hiding down my garden. I've never seen them but maybe they just played a lot of hide & Seek when they were little fairies and got really good at hiding..... come to think of it I've never seen Big Foot in the woods either but you just never know, maybe someone just exorcised their butts out of there.

Oh well :grave:

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Lol, yeah. I have to wonder if there really are fairies hiding down my garden. I've never seen them but maybe they just played a lot of hide & Seek when they were little fairies and got really good at hiding..... come to think of it I've never seen Big Foot in the woods either but you just never know, maybe someone just exorcised their butts out of there.

Oh well :grave:

Ridicule is such an excellent defence.