Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwight

Oh Iouae,

You just don't get it.
It's not you personally I'm upset with, it's all people like yourself who are collectively known as creationists.

The chances of anyone changing their mind are indeed slim. And that's the regrettable point that aggravates me.

Because the more I read this thread the more I'm beginning to realize just how hopeless the situation is.

When I joined, I honestly thought you're just misinformed or misled and some simple facts and open questions will do the trick. But now I'm confronted by such a degree of indoctrination where it simply appears pointless to argue at all.
Change does sometimes happen but it probably is never going to occur on an internet forum in my experience.
Glen Morton used to be a YEC, he is still a Christian but his explanation of his own situation and his YEC demon are worth reading about if you haven't already done so.

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/postmonth/feb02.html

Stuu

We should definitely be able to see chimps morphing into humans at many different levels.
No.

I mean, if it happened in the past,
Nope.

it should be happening consistently and we would see half ape-half man, etc. {Or 1/4 chimp and 3/4 man}.
No.

For all of this evolution, why don't we see this evolution in the actual process happening around us.
We do.

Why don't we have evolution visible to us.
Because some of us close our eyes.

Did evolution just quit happening for some reason or should we be able to see it still happening in our lifetimes.
It is.

What about a face that is half monkey-half man? Or 1/4 and 3/4. I'm not saying it has to be 1/2 and 1/2. We should see this evolutionary process with our own eyes as these animals morph??
No.

Why don't we see a whale in the process of graduating to a land animal.
Because land animals evolved into whales, and there isn't selection pressure to reverse that.

Why wouldn't we see many instances of all of these things and this evolution in our lifetimes, which is like 70 years.
Why would you expect to see whales change their habitat in so short a time?

We should see them in 1 day or week.
No.

Every creature and being, and plants should be constantly in the process of changing into what is claimed about them.
No.

There's not a reason that they only morphed back then, but they all don't anymore.
And that's because evolution hasn't stopped.

Do you understand what I'm saying, by any chance?
Shouldn't think so.

Why shouldn't we see evolution taking place right now and then with our own eyes and minds.
Why should we?

It's just not happening. There are no whales becoming buffaloes or whatever.
Why would whales become buffaloes? Or whatevers?

We don't see these processes of 'evolution' happening around us now at all.
We do.

So what is being said is everything evolved back whenever, but now the evolving has declined?
No.

This whole idea is preposterous!!
Nope.

You can't even understand or see clearly what I am saying or you would be convinced.
Can you understand or see clearly?

Let's go to Mike's house and party. He is 1/3 chimp/ape and 2/3 man,
No he's not. He's 100% human, which IS 100% ape. He is 0% chimpanzee.

so he has many friends in different stages of changing/ morphing/ evolving.
No one individual evolves. Only populations evolve.

Do you understand how silly it all is? Have a pet spider monkey and watch him start to quit growing his tail, or his face starting to have no hair on it, and it is starting to look like a human.
That is a silly concept.

And yet you persist.

There is no easy way to explain the holes in this evolution nonsense.

Not unless you know something about it. But the holes are tiny and minor.

Stuart

alwight

Dear Greg,

Yes, I have to butt in here. We should definitely be able to see chimps morphing into humans at many different levels. I mean, if it happened in the past, it should be happening consistently and we would see half ape-half man, etc. {Or 1/4 chimp and 3/4 man}.
Michael, as I have tried to explain to you before chimps are modern creatures, just as we are, they have no evolutionary reason at all to be anything other than chimps or to keep evolving as chimps. If chimps ever morphed into humans then that would require divine intervention not Darwinian evolution.
Humans and chimps clearly and evidentially did once share a common ancestor a long time ago. From this common ancestor both humans and chimps gradually evolved and went their separate ways and have become two separate species. Chimps will never evolve or morph into humans nor will humans morph into chimps.

I realise that you really don't understand how it is supposed to work and the science, that you perhaps don't want to know and that you have simply chosen to adopt or be suckered by all the YEC nonsense and its silly misconceptions of a miraculous creation a few months ago rather than try to understand natural reality as it actually is.

However, merry Christmas Michael. :cheers:

6days

...I asked you a question. It wasn't an accusation. Yell strawman all you want, but a simple "No, I did not say that" would've sufficed
Greg....whay you said was..."Since you're a big fan of saying that if evolution was correct then we should have been able to see "kind" change within the last 200 years...."
That isn't a question.
It is you setting up your strawman.

We see many changes in organisms both through natural selection and artificial selection. These changes can happen rapidly made possible by the pre-programmed genetic information and mechanisms. What we observe is consistent with God's Word.....not with your belief in millions and millions of years.

In any case...... Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

6days

Hey Michael...*

Alwight said this to you "Glen Morton used to be a YEC, he is still a Christian but his explanation of his own situation and his YEC demon are worth reading about if you haven't already done so."

Glen Morton provides a good example of why we as Christians need to take God's Word as absolute truth....rather than secular and atheist opinions. Here is a little story you may find interesting on Morton*Glen Morton used to be a YEC, he is still a Christian but his explanation of his own situation and his YEC demon are worth reading about if you haven't already done so.

https://www.icr.org/article/3132/

Also...to provide balance John Sanford used to be an atheist professor of genetics who says he breathed evolutionism. He slowly came to realize his belief in millions of years was not consistent with the evidence. This is a good read (Darwinian Evolution is Impossible) about him, if you haven't already done so.
http://creation.mobi/geneticist-evolution-impossible

Merry Christmas to Michael and Alwight

alwight

Hey Michael...*

Alwight said this to you "Glen Morton used to be a YEC, he is still a Christian but his explanation of his own situation and his YEC demon are worth reading about if you haven't already done so."
If you check 6days I was responding to TheDuke not Michael but I suppose that getting the facts right isn't always your field of excellence? It might depend on what information your demon allows you to have. ;)

Glen Morton provides a good example of why we as Christians need to take God's Word as absolute truth....rather than secular and atheist opinions. Here is a little story you may find interesting on Morton*Glen Morton used to be a YEC, he is still a Christian but his explanation of his own situation and his YEC demon are worth reading about if you haven't already done so.

From your ICR link:
"Working in a field no doubt dominated by evolutionists, Morton has spent many years traversing the globe in search of petroleum reserves. He stated that his study of geology eventually led him to conclude that there must be a different interpretation to what most Christians read in the Genesis account—an interpretation that fits within the parameters of modern science."​
Apparently anyone who knows something about science and in real world geology, who is perhaps a graduate and a professional in the field of petro-chemicals, who may believe in a god or not, is automatically deemed an "evolutionist" by the ICR . :rolleyes:
You and the ICR may find it easy to ignore reality 6days, particularly if your YEC demon stops you from seeing or understanding real science and real facts, but some people never actually had those demons, while Glen Morton managed to learn something while his demon was looking the other way.

Merry Christmas to Michael and Alwight
A merry Christmas to you too 6days. :cheers:

iouae

Dear iouae,

I should have known that my post above would be too much for you to digest. Now you know why I keep some things to myself. Oh, I have a few other secrets that would really surprise/shock you. Are you feeling tormented by the testimony I give as a witness to what I've seen and heard from the Lord and angels, and in visions. Probably, Yes!

Don't let it all get to you too much. Stuff happens. It's really nice that God helped man devise this computer and internet, and website, so I could talk freely without going to preach to every country and city. I talk to people in Ireland, England, Australia, New Zealand too, etc. My website and Twitter reaches many, many people. Like I said, you don't know much about all that I am doing and have experienced over the latter years. But now, we are in the latter 'days.' Any time now!! I "yearn" for Jesus' "return." Isn't that a nice poem/slogan? Well, enough for now. Don't feel tormented by what I say to you. If you want, I can tell you how to get to my website and download a copy of my book for FREE. My book is also in the Downtown Phoenix Library. Do you know how hard it is to get on their shelves?? The screening process is difficult.

God Is Great!! Praise His Handiwork In The Universe And On Earth!!

Michael

Hi Michael

Sorry I have been a little slow getting back to the forum since I got wrapped up in researching Global Warming. That is why I never saw your posts till now.

If you could direct me to your website where I could download your book, that would be great.

You do sound like you have had an interesting life Michael.
Well I hope the next few days till the end of the year are as busy or quiet as you like it. Best wishes.

Greg Jennings

Greg....whay you said was..."Since you're a big fan of saying that if evolution was correct then we should have been able to see "kind" change within the last 200 years...."
That isn't a question.
It is you setting up your strawman.
Goodness gracious, man. I said that, then you said you didn't believe that, to which I responded with a question asking what you did believe in regards to that, from which you've gone on this pointless rant of yours about your favorite thing in the world: strawmen, while ignoring the question asked. Why are you being a petulant child?

We see many changes in organisms both through natural selection and artificial selection. These changes can happen rapidly made possible by the pre-programmed genetic information and mechanisms. What we observe is consistent with God's Word.....not with your belief in millions and millions of years.

In any case...... Wishing you a Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you as well.

Find me a non-artificially selected mammal species that exhibits massive changes in just short amounts of time, please

Greg Jennings

6, you know I'm sure that Martin Luther once said nearly the exact same thing about geocentrism?

"There is talk of a new astrologer [Nicolaus Copernicus] who wants to prove that the earth moves and goes around instead of the sky, the sun, the moon, just as if somebody were moving in a carriage or ship might hold that he was sitting still and at rest while the earth and the trees walked and moved. But that is how things are nowadays: when a man wishes to be clever he must . . . invent something special, and the way he does it must needs be the best! The fool wants to turn the whole art of astronomy upside-down. However, as Holy Scripture tells us, so did Joshua bid the sun to stand still and not the earth." - Martin Luther
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/geocentrism

Of course, Luther has since been proven completely wrong on geocentrism

iouae

Oh Iouae,

You just don't get it.
It's not you personally I'm upset with, it's all people like yourself who are collectively known as creationists.

The chances of anyone changing their mind are indeed slim. And that's the regrettable point that aggravates me.

Because the more I read this thread the more I'm beginning to realize just how hopeless the situation is.

When I joined, I honestly thought you're just misinformed or misled and some simple facts and open questions will do the trick. But now I'm confronted by such a degree of indoctrination where it simply appears pointless to argue at all.

For instance, the vast overwhelming majority of christians in the entire world gladly accept evolution as it is. They incorporate it into their religious world view (aka theistic evolution). But such a step is only possible when a person has both a high degree of confidence in their religious faith and a scientifically sound basic education.

I can't tell whichever you are missing. Maybe both......

Though as you know, I don't believe in any gods, and I have splendid reasons not to. The purpose of this discussion is not about changing anyone's faith, but rather to reach a reasonable consensus about the role evolution has to play in life on this planet.

If you are curious enough, let me know, and I'll give you a list of where your understanding in wrong, but the past experience has taught me not to hold my breath.

The Duke

I got quite a lot out of researching the answer to your post. I did not know that blind mole rats were eusocial etc.

Creationists see every structure, chemical pathway, adaptation as something God put there in the organism. This is totally reasonable to us.

In my case I heard all the evolutionary arguments at university. They sounded utterly unreasonable to me.

I am open to the idea of God getting new ideas for plants and animals over the ages, wiping out the old biome and changing it for a new one as a housewife might change a vase of old flowers for new ones. But God definitely created Adam and Eve as Genesis says.

alwight

Creationists see every structure, chemical pathway, adaptation as something God put there in the organism. This is totally reasonable to us.

In my case I heard all the evolutionary arguments at university. They sounded utterly unreasonable to me.
I'd say that is because you and your fellow creationists have an a priori disbelief that, even with or without God, life is driven entirely by only natural forces.
You apparently cannot accept that supernatural or miraculous deeds are not actually actively involved.
Perhaps your faith is not particularly strong since you seem to need to find an ongoing role for the miraculous and supernatural everywhere?
Life just getting on with it, evolving entirely naturally, is perhaps a little worrying for you and your belief in God?

I am open to the idea of God getting new ideas for plants and animals over the ages, wiping out the old biome and changing it for a new one as a housewife might change a vase of old flowers for new ones. But God definitely created Adam and Eve as Genesis says.
As long as you can convince yourself that God is micromanaging every part of life then that must be very reassuring to you? :plain:

6days

Greg Jennings said:
6days said:
Goodness gracious, man. I said that, then you said you didn't believe that, to which I responded with a question asking what you did believe in regards to that, from which you've gone on this pointless rant of yours about your favorite thing in the world: strawmen, while ignoring the question
Yup....and still have not admitted nor apologized for your fabricated strawman argument.

I think we better look at the followup question you asked to your strawman... and the answer.
REMINDER....

GREG
You've never said that we should be able to have seen species change naturally since the theory of evolution was formulated?

6DAYS REPLY
Greg..... you fabricate arguments, misrepresenting what others say...trying to formulate a strawman you can knock over.*

If you want to know what I realy said (not what you think i might have said).......
"Evidence in the case of evolution versus creation generally better supports the creation account. However most people do not realize that. Most people have never been taught anything about the creation model. So evidence is always interpreted in light of the only model that they have been taught, the evolution model.*

One example of the misunderstanding that most evolutionists have is regarding the ability of animals to quickly adapt to changing environments. Especially in the past, evolutionists thought change and speciation was a slow gradual process taking millions of years. The creationist model calls for the ability to rapidly change and even rapid speciation. Adaptation~ speciation usually happens when natural selection, 'selects' information that already exists in the genome. It is a process identified by a creationist (Edward Blyth) before Charles Darwin popularized the notion. It is a process similar to that of breeding animals... artificial selection. Selection is a process that usually eliminates unwanted information... It does not create new information.*

As an example Darwin noted different species of finches in the Galapagos Islands. Evolutionists thought that these species have developed over the course of up to 5,000,000 years. That time frame was not based on science, but on the belief that everything evolved from a common ancestor over the course of millions and millions of years. Real science involving observation has now shown that these different species likely developed over the course of a few hundred years.*

But even a few hundred years is a very long time. Speciation can happen over the course of just a few generations.... a matter of several years. Sticklefish have speciated / rapidly adapted in a very short time period.

Another example of rapid speciation (creationist model) comes from a study of guppies in Trinidad. One of the researchers speaking from the evolutionary perspective says " ‘The guppies adapted to their new environment in a mere four years—a rate of change some 10,000 to 10 million times faster than the average rates determined from the fossil record" IE. He says that the actual observed rate does not match the evolutionary assumptions of million of years in the fossil record.*
science; Predator-free guppies take an evolutionary leap forward (Morell)*

Rapid changes are bewildering to evolutionists..... but make perfect sense in the creationist model. God created most things with a very polytypic genome ( programmed variation) . They can change and adapt to various situations because of the wide array of info in their DNA.*

Other examples of the ability of animals to adapt quickly:*
Fruit flies grow longer wings...*
... evolutionists are 'alarmed'*
New Scientist 165 wrote:*
"Flying out of control—alien species can evolve at an alarming rate"

Frogs seemingly 'evolve' in 1 generation...*
... Evolutionists are surprised.*
Science Daily wrote:
"However, the results show that in many cases, species with eggs and tadpoles placed in water seem to give rise directly to species with direct development, without going through the many seemingly intermediate steps that were previously thought to be necessary "
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0910142632.htm

And the best one showing.....
... Evolutionists are unscientific.*
Bird species changes fast but without genetic differences (species-specific DNA markers)...*
"Rapid phenotypic evolution during incipient speciation in a continental avian radiation" Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
The researchers suggest that the lack of genetic markers may mean the changes in these birds happened so fast that the genes haven't had a chance to catch up yet!!!!*

That's a few of the many examples of adaptation and speciation that support the Biblical model, contradicting the evolutionist model of slow gradual change over millions of years."

Greg Jennings said:
Find me a non-artificially selected mammal species that exhibits massive changes in just short amounts of time, please
Sure...

But before attempting to move the goalposts... how about admtting your original argument was a misrepresentation of my position.... a strawman?
Then we can move on to your new challenge.

Greg Jennings

Yup....and still have not admitted nor apologized for your fabricated strawman argument.

I think we better look at the followup question you asked to your strawman... and the answer.
REMINDER....

GREG
You've never said that we should be able to have seen species change naturally since the theory of evolution was formulated?

6DAYS REPLY
Greg..... you fabricate arguments, misrepresenting what others say...trying to formulate a strawman you can knock over.*

If you want to know what I realy said (not what you think i might have said).......
"Evidence in the case of evolution versus creation generally better supports the creation account. However most people do not realize that. Most people have never been taught anything about the creation model. So evidence is always interpreted in light of the only model that they have been taught, the evolution model.*

One example of the misunderstanding that most evolutionists have is regarding the ability of animals to quickly adapt to changing environments. Especially in the past, evolutionists thought change and speciation was a slow gradual process taking millions of years. The creationist model calls for the ability to rapidly change and even rapid speciation. Adaptation~ speciation usually happens when natural selection, 'selects' information that already exists in the genome. It is a process identified by a creationist (Edward Blyth) before Charles Darwin popularized the notion. It is a process similar to that of breeding animals... artificial selection. Selection is a process that usually eliminates unwanted information... It does not create new information.*

As an example Darwin noted different species of finches in the Galapagos Islands. Evolutionists thought that these species have developed over the course of up to 5,000,000 years. That time frame was not based on science, but on the belief that everything evolved from a common ancestor over the course of millions and millions of years. Real science involving observation has now shown that these different species likely developed over the course of a few hundred years.*

But even a few hundred years is a very long time. Speciation can happen over the course of just a few generations.... a matter of several years. Sticklefish have speciated / rapidly adapted in a very short time period.

Another example of rapid speciation (creationist model) comes from a study of guppies in Trinidad. One of the researchers speaking from the evolutionary perspective says " ‘The guppies adapted to their new environment in a mere four years—a rate of change some 10,000 to 10 million times faster than the average rates determined from the fossil record" IE. He says that the actual observed rate does not match the evolutionary assumptions of million of years in the fossil record.*
science; Predator-free guppies take an evolutionary leap forward (Morell)*

Rapid changes are bewildering to evolutionists..... but make perfect sense in the creationist model. God created most things with a very polytypic genome ( programmed variation) . They can change and adapt to various situations because of the wide array of info in their DNA.*

Other examples of the ability of animals to adapt quickly:*
Fruit flies grow longer wings...*
... evolutionists are 'alarmed'*
New Scientist 165 wrote:*
"Flying out of control—alien species can evolve at an alarming rate"

Frogs seemingly 'evolve' in 1 generation...*
... Evolutionists are surprised.*
Science Daily wrote:
"However, the results show that in many cases, species with eggs and tadpoles placed in water seem to give rise directly to species with direct development, without going through the many seemingly intermediate steps that were previously thought to be necessary "
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0910142632.htm

And the best one showing.....
... Evolutionists are unscientific.*
Bird species changes fast but without genetic differences (species-specific DNA markers)...*
"Rapid phenotypic evolution during incipient speciation in a continental avian radiation" Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
The researchers suggest that the lack of genetic markers may mean the changes in these birds happened so fast that the genes haven't had a chance to catch up yet!!!!*

That's a few of the many examples of adaptation and speciation that support the Biblical model, contradicting the evolutionist model of slow gradual change over millions of years."

Sure...

But before attempting to move the goalposts... how about admtting your original argument was a misrepresentation of my position.... a strawman?
Then we can move on to your new challenge.

If it means that much to you (and finally gets this conversation moving again) I'M SO SORRY that I accidentally thought you held a creationist belief that you do not, then asked you what you do believe. I'm terribly sorry that offended you.

Now, if you would, please answer my question in which I moved the goalposts and (I have no doubt) created another strawman, as I always create strawmen, because that's what "evolutionists" do: they create strawmen and move goalposts

iouae

I'd say that is because you and your fellow creationists have an a priori disbelief that, even with or without God, life is driven entirely by only natural forces.
You apparently cannot accept that supernatural or miraculous deeds are not actually actively involved.
Perhaps your faith is not particularly strong since you seem to need to find an ongoing role for the miraculous and supernatural everywhere?
Life just getting on with it, evolving entirely naturally, is perhaps a little worrying for you and your belief in God?

I don't believe creationists are any more "a priori" in their beliefs than evolutionists are. Creationists "a priori" see God's hand in everything, and any science which comes along, we say "Cool, God, you made all this possible - How great thou art".

Evolutionists "a priori" have excluded God's hand from everything, and any science which comes along, they say "Cool, gods of Dumb Luck, you made all this possible - How great thou art".

Every new wonder I discover evokes emotions of awe and gratitude towards Him for having the brains to think this all out, and the power to execute His will.

I lived with an evolutionist father who would see the same magnificent facts, and it would lead to smugness and independence. "Yes, we humans are figuring this all out, and soon there will be nothing that we cannot control". It's like every new bit of science discovered made him feel more like a god.

I have noticed a tendency among very capable people to not need God. The smart, the rich, those with their lives under complete control - now why would they need God? What more can He add to their already perfect existence?

That's why the broken, the poor, the addicts are crowding into the kingdom of heaven. Like Christ said, "The first shall be last".

As long as you can convince yourself that God is micromanaging every part of life then that must be very reassuring to you? :plain:

I think you are onto something here. Through God, the broken, the poor, the addicts finally feel that God is now in charge of their previously chaotic lives, and it IS very reassuring for us.

And God has the power to make the dumb smart. What He refuses to do is make a being with free will devoted to Him.

Greg Jennings

I don't believe creationists are any more "a priori" in their beliefs than evolutionists are. Creationists "a priori" see God's hand in everything, and any science which comes along, we say "Cool, God, you made all this possible - How great thou art".

Evolutionists "a priori" have excluded God's hand from everything, and any science which comes along, they say "Cool, gods of Dumb Luck, you made all this possible - How great thou art".

Option 3 (the one that exists in real life): Christian "evolutionists" see God's hand in the creative process of evolution. They say, "That's cool. God is so smart that he invented a creative method that is infinite and self-sustainable. That way, when an extinction happens, he doesn't have to go through the exhaustive creation process all over again. Instead of dooming the animals he creates to die if the environment changes, he loves them so much that he gave them the ability to evolve and adapt to changing environments. That's amazing!"

iouae

Option 3 (the one that exists in real life): Christian "evolutionists" see God's hand in the creative process of evolution. They say, "That's cool. God is so smart that he invented a creative method that is infinite and self-sustainable. That way, when an extinction happens, he doesn't have to go through the exhaustive creation process all over again. Instead of dooming the animals he creates to die if the environment changes, he loves them so much that he gave them the ability to evolve and adapt to changing environments. That's amazing!"

You are right, this is how some think. I don't.

I believe every species has a limit to how much it can change. There are limits to time, mutations. All organisms seem specialised to their environment. I would expect to see as a rule, animals with hands growing out of their faces, one eye in the middle of their forehead, etc. And we do see this occasionally, and that individual is so crippled, they soon die.

I vaguely remember in genetics experiments with fruit flies which were radiated, seeing weird extra appendages. But in nature you seldom see this since one has to be strong to survive, and the weak seldom get to breed. So radical mutants die out before they can pass these along. This limits evolution/variation. As we get better at gene splicing, we will learn more about the limits to varying a species.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
You are right, this is how some think. I don't.

I believe every species has a limit to how much it can change. There are limits to time, mutations. All organisms seem specialised to their environment. I would expect to see as a rule, animals with hands growing out of their faces, one eye in the middle of their forehead, etc. And we do see this occasionally, and that individual is so crippled, they soon die.

I vaguely remember in genetics experiments with fruit flies which were radiated, seeing weird extra appendages. But in nature you seldom see this since one has to be strong to survive, and the weak seldom get to breed. So radical mutants die out before they can pass these along. This limits evolution/variation. As we get better at gene splicing, we will learn more about the limits to varying a species.

You amuse me ! Feliz Navidad !

iouae

You amuse me ! Feliz Navidad !

Hi Patrick

There is no Xmas truce in the trenches between creationists and evolutionists.

"The Christmas truce (German: Weihnachtsfrieden; French: Trêve de Noël) was a series of widespread but unofficial ceasefires along the Western Front around Christmas 1914. In the week leading up to the holiday, German and British soldiers crossed trenches to exchange seasonal greetings and talk. In areas, men from both sides ventured into no man's land on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to mingle and exchange food and souvenirs. There were joint burial ceremonies and prisoner swaps, while several meetings ended in carol-singing. Men played games of football with one another, giving one of the most enduring images of the truce. However, the peaceful behaviour was not ubiquitous; fighting continued in some sectors, while in others the sides settled on little more than arrangements to recover bodies."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

Feliz Navidad - bah humbug ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.