Could God forgive without crucifixion?

nikolai_42

We need to forgive and let God decide who is (ultimately) deserving of vengeance.

Just a point of clarification here. I am speaking of an individual here. I do believe that church discipline is important and that means that the issue of sin in the assembly needs to be taken VERY seriously. While the offended party may forgive (repentance forthcoming or not), the issue of sin generally needs to be dealt with by the body in a more critical manner. Even those who repent may fall back into sin and they need a firm hand and Godly guidance. There may even need to be harsh discipline. But that is a separate issue, I believe, from the individual's role in forgiveness. Church discipline is there to preserve unity in the faith and keep the cancerous effects of sin itself from harming the body.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I don't think Clete thinks there are any exceptions or "out" clauses. That may be a reason why Jesus asked the Father to forgive them, but wasn't a similar declaration uttered by the first martyr recorded in scripture?

And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Acts 7:59-60

And they knew full well what they were doing (Stephen's message was the motivator).

stephen was forgiving those who trespassed against him

Predi

The one who is truly God's will not want to offend and will be quick to seek forgiveness for any wrong done against Him.

Performance based security? Any time I fall am I supposed to ask myself if I was quick enough to seek forgiveness to show if I belong to God or devil? It doesn't seem to me like Good News at all!

nikolai_42

Performance based security? Any time I fall am I supposed to ask myself if I was quick enough to seek forgiveness to show if I belong to God or devil? It doesn't seem to me like Good News at all!

No. But your response (the word "supposed" is an indicator here) seems to say that you are treating it like a checklist...a mandatory action rather than an automatic response. The one born of God does not want to offend Him, so any offense will cause such a person turmoil- something like (though not exactly) how you would be if you hurt your best friend. You wouldn't be asking yourself if you are "supposed to" seek his forgiveness, you would do whatever it takes to repair the relationship.

Predi

The one born of God does not want to offend Him, so any offense will cause such a person turmoil- something like (though not exactly) how you would be if you hurt your best friend. You wouldn't be asking yourself if you are "supposed to" seek his forgiveness, you would do whatever it takes to repair the relationship.

Then maybe 1 in 100 churchgoers is born of God. Or I just have never seen a good church :)

nikolai_42

Then maybe 1 in 100 churchgoers is born of God. Or I just have never seen a good church :)

I won't disagree that just being in a church is no guarantee of being in Christ. But you also have to realize that some may not respond as quickly as others to the Spirit of God. And just because we are offended by what another says or does doesn't mean that what they did was wrong.

Not only that, but offense is just what we are to avoid and what forgiveness allows us to avoid. Jesus warned us that there would be ample opportunity for offense in Him...

Now when John had heard in the prison the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples,
And said unto him, Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?
Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see:
The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them.
And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.

Matthew 11:2-6

Some walking around looking for offense as an excuse to avoid churches. Maybe you're right - maybe it's 1/100...but the way we are to judge churches is by what they teach - not the way they make us feel.

nikolai_42

is born of God the same a being in Christ?
-and
-how do you tell?
-by what they say?
-by what they do?
-where do you get this stuff?

Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Matthew 7:17-20

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

John 13:34-35

And John, in his first epistle, says variously that obedience, love and the Spirit of God are evidences that we are in Him.

And being in Christ is the same thing as being born of God :

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

John 1:12-13

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

John 3:5-7

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
2 Cor 5:17

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Seems to me there was a certain (fairly prominent) act of unilateral forgiveness (without meetance) indicated here :

Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.
from Luke 23:34
It was Jesus' perogative to forgive their deicide, which they did not know that they were committing. If He had not done so they would have been without hope. What sacrifice is sufficient to pay for the murder of God? There isn't one. Thus Jesus, as you said, unilaterally forgave that sin, which He had the full authority to do.

And while we're at it, what about the times He forgave those He healed like this...

And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee.
Matthew 9:2
The answer is in the verse! "Seeing their faith..."

You won't be able to find a biblical teaching where there is forgiveness without repentance aside from the Luke 23 reference you already cited. If the bible does not teach repentance before forgiveness, it doesn't teach anything.

And what about the woman who anointed Jesus' feet with oil and washed them with her hair? No indication that she repented but simply offered an act of worship. Where is she repenting - certainly no teaching that she did as a prerequisite - yet Jesus said to her that her sins were forgiven.
What do you suppose she was doing beside humbling herself before her creator?

My bet is that you misunderstand what repentance even means.

Read the verse in Mark again. There is nothing being said about repentance. This is all about the one who has been wronged and what they are to do - even while they are praying. This isn't a general statement, but a specific one clearly in a specific situation in which repentance isn't even a factor. If we had read something more like "whenever you have the opportunity, forgive", that would be different. But this is speaking to the one who has something to forgive - and only that one.
I've responded to your single sentence argument already. Any chance you'll be responding to my argument or do plan to just repeat the argument as though it hasn't been responded too?

I think you've misread my post a little. The standard stance is something like "unless someone comes to me and asks forgiveness, I don't need to forgive - and really can't". But that looks at forgiveness as something simpler than it is. My point is multiple :

1. There is vertical forgiveness (God forgiving man) and then there is horizontal forgiveness (man forgiving man).
2. In so-called vertical forgiveness, the primary beneficiary is man since God has no need of forgiveness and so He is the same whether He forgives or not. He is perfect and sinless whether He forgives or not.
3. In so-called horizontal forgiveness, both parties are beneficiaries since neither are sinless. The offender's forgiveness may well be predicated on him repenting first (as above, that may not necessarily be so, but God has said we do need to repent), but the offended one must recognize where he stands and upon Whose grace he stands and so that forgiveness needs to be automatic - in other words, whether the offender repents or not, that needs to be clear of the offended one's conscience lest he have something of the attitude of the unforgiving servant in Jesus' parable. Thus, God says we are to forgive even before someone comes to us to repent.
Nope. God does NOT say that. He has said the reverse, multiple times and through multiple authors in both Testaments of the bible. It is one of the most consistent teaching in the entire bible. If you repent, you'll be forgiven. One sentence does not undo the entirety of the rest of the biblical material. What you are doing is proof-texting.

Paul, in 2 Corinthians 2 says this :

For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.
To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;
Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.

2 Corinthians 2:9-11

Note that Paul here says he forgives if they forgive. He doesn't need the repentance of the offender - just the forgiveness of the offended. Never is there any instruction in repentance here. It may well be implied, I agree, but the point here is that forgiveness needs to be automatic for the benefit of each individual and for the congregation - because unforgiveness spreads like cancer. It becomes bitterness....
If you agree that it's implied then why bring this up?

Paul taught his followers to excommunicate believers who were unrepentant! (A verse I've already quoted, by the way. You'd do well to read the rest of my posts on the subject.)

Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

Hebrews 12:14-15

So for the benefit of the offended party, forgiveness needs to be automatic - not predicated on the offender's repentance.
That verse doesn't say forgiveness should be automatic! It teaches that you aught not be bitter, which I've already said, but it doesn't say one syllable about forgiving someone who isn't even sorry for the wrong they've done.

Again, I think you have misread my post. I'm not denying a need for repentance.
Of course you are! There would have been no point in responding to my post otherwise.

But the teaching doesn't make it (repentance) essential for both parties to be able to fulfill their duty (as regards repentance) before God.
So says you. I've directly quoted several verses from multiple biblical sources, including Christ Himself, that say the reverse.

On the part of the offended, it should be accomplished as soon as possible - repentance pending or not. I sounds to me like you are approaching it from a rigid standpoint where repentance is necessary before either party can fulfill scripture in this issue.
I am not taught to forgive the unrepentant! I'm taught by Paul not to even eat with an unrepentant person who calls himself a believer and commits sexual sin. I'm taught by Jesus Christ Himself to excommunicate the man who refuses to repent after going through a multi-step process trying to get him to repent.

That I deny...and that's the point. I don't deny that the offender needs to repent, but it doesn't stop the offended party from forgiving from his heart (nor should it, and I think that's what scripture teaches).
Scripture doesn't teach that, no matter what you think. You only think it because your pastor taught it to you that way and he only believes it because his pastor did the same. The bible DOES NOT teach it - period.

The desire for justice need not be incongruous with forgiveness.
As if the two concepts could be rationally separated. Just what is it that you think it means to be forgiven?

David, for example, was forgiven but still suffered the consequences for his sin.
He suffered some of the consequences but not all and he was not forgiven sans repentance.

2 Samuel 12:13 “I have sinned against the Lord,” David said.

Nathan replied, “The Lord forgives you; you will not die.​
[and elsewhere]

But the issue with the vengeance of the blood of the martyrs beneath the altar has to do with reversing the evil that oppressed, persecuted and ultimately killed those that stood faithful in the cause of Christ. God never says anything about forgiving Satan - and the cry here is for the restoration of righteousness which (necessarily) will be at the expense of Satanic forces. Lest, however, we paint with too broad a brush, remember who the most prolific biblical apostle was before he was converted...
Satan is not the only one God will bring vengeance too on judgement day!

Paul teaches us the WE, you and I and all the rest of the believers in Christ, will judge the world and the angels themselves! How are you to judge those whom you've forgiven?

On judgment day, when that guy at your work who undercut you to gain undeserved advantage stands before you on judgment day, how would you respond if he pleads forgiveness based on your own words? You throw your forgiveness around like this isn't real, like its pretend and that there's no consequences to the words we speak, as though your forgiveness is meaningless except as a salve to your own emotional state of mind. You need to start practicing justice. Forgive those who repent and expect that those who do not will justly get what's coming to them in the end because it is Jesus who is the judge of all the Earth and forgiveness isn't free, it was bought at the price of His very life.

For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

Galatians 1:13-14

So how do you decide who you want to seek vengeance for?
That's easy! I want justice. One way or the other. If that justice is met with the blood of Christ through the offenders faith in Him, then fine and dandy. If not, then the offender can and will pay his own debt. I prefer the latter, of course, but either way, justice is served and I'm happy as a clam.

Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

Psalm 32:1-2
Amen! Those who put their trust in Christ and believe that God raised Him from the dead (i.e. those who repent) are already forgiven by God for every sin. There are still issues to deal with having to do with both criminal justice and social stigmas which I've gone over in other posts but Paul quoted the verse you cite in Romans 4. Shortly after having said this...

Romans 3:7 For if the truth of God has increased through my lie to His glory, why am I also still judged as a sinner? 8 And why not say, “Let us do evil that good may come”?—as we are slanderously reported and as some affirm that we say. Their condemnation is just.

We need to forgive and let God decide who is (ultimately) deserving of vengeance.
I really would like for you to explain to me just what you mean by forgiveness. I strongly suspect that you aren't even talking about the same thing. I suspect that what you're talking about is the sort of forgiveness where you merely decide not to dwell on the offense and let God deal with it so as to not give the offender the power to upset you and to give you an ulcer.

Lots of Christians make this error (for want of a better term). People who have had loved ones murdered or have otherwise been harmed by a criminal often say that they "forgive" the attacker but they still despise the person, want him convicted of the crime and punished without mercy. And they fully expect that the offender will get what's coming to them in the next life whether they ever see justice in this life or not. In short, they haven't actually forgiven anything except in the sense that they've moved on and left the matter in God's hands. If this is what you are talking about when you speak of forgiveness, then you should know two things. One, I agree that we should leave things in God's hands and in so far as it is up to us, we should be at piece with all men. Two, that is NOT what the bible is talking about when it discusses forgiveness.

Resting in Him,
Clete

nikolai_42

It was Jesus' perogative to forgive their deicide, which they did not know that they were committing. If He had not done so they would have been without hope. What sacrifice is sufficient to pay for the murder of God? There isn't one. Thus Jesus, as you said, unilaterally forgave that sin, which He had the full authority to do.

The answer is in the verse! "Seeing their faith..."

You won't be able to find a biblical teaching where there is forgiveness without repentance aside from the Luke 23 reference you already cited. If the bible does not teach repentance before forgiveness, it doesn't teach anything.

What do you suppose she was doing beside humbling herself before her creator?

My bet is that you misunderstand what repentance even means.

I've responded to your single sentence argument already. Any chance you'll be responding to my argument or do plan to just repeat the argument as though it hasn't been responded too?

Nope. God does NOT say that. He has said the reverse, multiple times and through multiple authors in both Testaments of the bible. It is one of the most consistent teaching in the entire bible. If you repent, you'll be forgiven. One sentence does not undo the entirety of the rest of the biblical material. What you are doing is proof-texting.

If you agree that it's implied then why bring this up?

Paul taught his followers to excommunicate believers who were unrepentant! (A verse I've already quoted, by the way. You'd do well to read the rest of my posts on the subject.)

That verse doesn't say forgiveness should be automatic! It teaches that you aught not be bitter, which I've already said, but it doesn't say one syllable about forgiving someone who isn't even sorry for the wrong they've done.

Of course you are! There would have been no point in responding to my post otherwise.

So says you. I've directly quoted several verses from multiple biblical sources, including Christ Himself, that say the reverse.

I am not taught to forgive the unrepentant! I'm taught by Paul not to even eat with an unrepentant person who calls himself a believer and commits sexual sin. I'm taught by Jesus Christ Himself to excommunicate the man who refuses to repent after going through a multi-step process trying to get him to repent.

Scripture doesn't teach that, no matter what you think. You only think it because your pastor taught it to you that way and he only believes it because his pastor did the same. The bible DOES NOT teach it - period.

As if the two concepts could be rationally separated. Just what is it that you think it means to be forgiven?

He suffered some of the consequences but not all and he was not forgiven sans repentance.

2 Samuel 12:13 “I have sinned against the Lord,” David said.

Nathan replied, “The Lord forgives you; you will not die.​
[and elsewhere]

Satan is not the only one God will bring vengeance too on judgement day!

Paul teaches us the WE, you and I and all the rest of the believers in Christ, will judge the world and the angels themselves! How are you to judge those whom you've forgiven?

On judgment day, when that guy at your work who undercut you to gain undeserved advantage stands before you on judgment day, how would you respond if he pleads forgiveness based on your own words? You throw your forgiveness around like this isn't real, like its pretend and that there's no consequences to the words we speak, as though your forgiveness is meaningless except as a salve to your own emotional state of mind. You need to start practicing justice. Forgive those who repent and expect that those who do not will justly get what's coming to them in the end because it is Jesus who is the judge of all the Earth and forgiveness isn't free, it was bought at the price of His very life.

That's easy! I want justice. One way or the other. If that justice is met with the blood of Christ through the offenders faith in Him, then fine and dandy. If not, then the offender can and will pay his own debt. I prefer the latter, of course, but either way, justice is served and I'm happy as a clam.

Amen! Those who put their trust in Christ and believe that God raised Him from the dead (i.e. those who repent) are already forgiven by God for every sin. There are still issues to deal with having to do with both criminal justice and social stigmas which I've gone over in other posts but Paul quoted the verse you cite in Romans 4. Shortly after having said this...

Romans 3:7 For if the truth of God has increased through my lie to His glory, why am I also still judged as a sinner? 8 And why not say, “Let us do evil that good may come”?—as we are slanderously reported and as some affirm that we say. Their condemnation is just.

I really would like for you to explain to me just what you mean by forgiveness. I strongly suspect that you aren't even talking about the same thing. I suspect that what you're talking about is the sort of forgiveness where you merely decide not to dwell on the offense and let God deal with it so as to not give the offender the power to upset you and to give you an ulcer.

Lots of Christians make this error (for want of a better term). People who have had loved ones murdered or have otherwise been harmed by a criminal often say that they "forgive" the attacker but they still despise the person, want him convicted of the crime and punished without mercy. And they fully expect that the offender will get what's coming to them in the next life whether they ever see justice in this life or not. In short, they haven't actually forgiven anything except in the sense that they've moved on and left the matter in God's hands. If this is what you are talking about when you speak of forgiveness, then you should know two things. One, I agree that we should leave things in God's hands and in so far as it is up to us, we should be at piece with all men. Two, that is NOT what the bible is talking about when it discusses forgiveness.

Resting in Him,
Clete

It seems you can't (or won't) understand what I'm saying. You've decided what I have to say based on your preconceptions and reading of scripture so I don't know that there's any benefit to continuing this further.

But check your biblical facts when saying Jesus was the only one who unilaterally forgave. Stephen may have something to say to you about that...

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I don't think Clete thinks there are any exceptions or "out" clauses. That may be a reason why Jesus asked the Father to forgive them, but wasn't a similar declaration uttered by the first martyr recorded in scripture?

And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Acts 7:59-60

And they knew full well what they were doing (Stephen's message was the motivator).

It wasn't merely his murder that Stephen was asking God to forgive, it was the sin of corporately and officially rejecting their Messiah as the leader of the nation of Israel! The text states clearly that Stephen used, by direct inspiration of the Holy Spirit, "irresistible wisdom" in his arguments before the council (Acts 6:10). They KNEW Jesus was the Messiah and rejected Him anyway. It was the fact that they were causing Israel as a nation to be cut off (Note that Jesus was standing (Acts 7:56) - symbolic throughout the bible as a precursor to judgement) that they didn't know they were causing and which Stephen ASKED God to forgive. We are not told whether God granted Stephen's request.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
It seems you can't (or won't) understand what I'm saying. You've decided what I have to say based on your preconceptions and reading of scripture so I don't know that there's any benefit to continuing this further.

This is what people say when they've lost the debate.

I read your entire post and responded DIRECTLY to your own words. I can't read your mind. If you didn't say what you meant, how is that my problem?

I'd wager you didn't read my entire post.

But check your biblical facts when saying Jesus was the only one who unilaterally forgave. Stephen may have something to say to you about that...
There is not one single teaching anywhere in the bible where we are taught to unilaterally forgive one single soul for a single sin or offense that is not repented of - period.

It isn't there whether you decide to take your ball and go home or not.