Could God forgive without crucifixion?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
so why did you pick those passages
-if
-your interpretation of those passages didn't address the question

The term 'interpretation' in the context in which Predi used it implies that you understand a passage to be saying something other than a simple reading of the text would convey. I did no such interpreting, I simply quoted the verse at let is say what it seems to say, which of course is directly pertinent to the topic being discussed.

Now, I know you knew all that when you asked the question so what was your point, exactly?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Among these 24 translations I would choose YLT... sometimes sounds awkward, and sometimes... too literal :) - but it has the least amount of added theology... but Clete... if you state right away, "it won't change anything" I don't think there's a point...
You know there's no point because you know that the bible says in one translation, basically the same thing in any other.

You know what's fixing to happen but here goes nothing....

Here are all of the verses I have quoted in this thread to date, in the order in which I quoted them....

From post #30

Luke 17:3 `Take heed to yourselves, and, if thy brother may sin in regard to thee, rebuke him, and if he may reform, forgive him,
4 and if seven times in the day he may sin against thee, and seven times in the day may turn back to thee, saying, I reform; thou shalt forgive him.'

Matthew 18:21 Then Peter having come near to him, said, `Sir, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him -- till seven times?'
22 Jesus saith to him, `I do not say to thee till seven times, but till seventy times seven.​

From post #91

Romans 12:19 not avenging yourselves, beloved, but give place to the wrath, for it hath been written, `Vengeance [is] Mine,

Hebrews 10:30 for we have known Him who is saying, `Vengeance [is] Mine, I will recompense, saith the Lord;' and again, `The Lord shall judge His people;' --

Psalms 37:30 The mouth of the righteous uttereth wisdom, And his tongue speaketh judgment.

Psalms 58:10 The righteous rejoiceth that he hath seen vengeance, His steps he washeth in the blood of the wicked.

Revelation 6:10 and they were crying with a great voice, saying, `Till when, O Master, the Holy and the True, dost Thou not judge and take vengeance of our blood from those dwelling upon the land?'

I Corinthians 5:9 I did write to you in the epistle, not to keep company with whoremongers --
10 and not certainly with the whoremongers of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, seeing ye ought then to go forth out of the world --
11 and now, I did write to you not to keep company with [him], if any one, being named a brother, may be a whoremonger, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner -- with such a one not even to eat together;
12 for what have I also those without to judge? those within do ye not judge?
13 and those without God doth judge; and put ye away the evil from among yourselves.

Romans 10:8 But what doth it say? `Nigh thee is the saying -- in thy mouth, and in thy heart:' that is, the saying of the faith, that we preach;
9 that if thou mayest confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and mayest believe in thy heart that God did raise him out of the dead, thou shalt be saved,
10 for with the heart doth [one] believe to righteousness, and with the mouth is confession made to salvation;
11 for the Writing saith, `Every one who is believing on him shall not be ashamed,'
12 for there is no difference between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord of all [is] rich to all those calling upon Him,
13 for every one -- whoever shall call upon the name of the Lord, he shall be saved.'​

From post # 150

I Corinthians 5:Whoredom is actually heard of among you, and such whoredom as is not even named among the nations -- as that one hath the wife of the father! --
2 and ye are having been puffed up, and did not rather mourn, that he may be removed out of the midst of you who did this work,
3 for I indeed, as being absent as to the body, and present as to the spirit, have already judged, as being present, him who so wrought this thing:
4 in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ -- ye being gathered together, also my spirit -- with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
5 to deliver up such a one to the Adversary for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.​

Now, as I predicted, the exact same argument (a purely BIBLICAL argument, I might add) is made with your favorite translation

AND

The text of scripture will once again prove insufficient to move your off your personal opinion about who should be forgiven and why.

Nothing changed.

You must have, even by choosing just that very passage. Without interpreting a verse you can't tell what it means. It would be great if all words meant the same thing to all people, but it's not happening.
Don't be stupid. Stupidity angers me rather quickly.

Words mean things and we can understand English when we read it. If a passage is allegorical or some form of figure of speech or symbolic in some way then interpretation in excess of a simple reading of the words is necessary but nothing I've quoted falls into any such category and if you think otherwise, as I stated before, it is up to you to demonstrate that the passage doesn't mean what it seems to mean and that your interpretation is superior than the plain reading of the text.

Now, all of that is third grade level stuff that you knew before you made this ridiculous point and made me waste my time explaining it to you. Don't go down this road any further.

Why couldn't God have just forgiven..? Perhaps He could have.
Do you not understand that this is blasphemy?

Can you seriously not see that you are presenting yourself as being wiser than God?

"Gee wiz, God! I sure wish you'd have asked me before you went and had your Son killed and all! I could have saved everyone so much pain and grief! That crucifixion was a complete waste of wood and nails!"

Why did Jesus have to die? I can't remember a verse literally saying He had to die. And the shortest answer to the questions, "Why did Jesus die?" is "because the Jews killed him."
Umm, no. That is not correct.

Going back now to the New King James....

The following are the words of Jesus...
John 10:17 “Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. 18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This COMMAND I have received from My Father.”​

It doesn't make sense to me, that He had to die in order to forgive sins. I think it's too early for me to make statements, I'm still looking, therefore... I started this thread.
Well, an honest search for answers is always commendable but you've got to allow the bible to answer these particular questions because no one would know anything about Jesus or Christianity at all if not for the bible. It is THE source for Christian doctrine. And what's more is that all you have to do is read it. You need to get away from whomever it is filling your head with all this garbage. Just read the bible! Just read it and take it for what it seems to be saying. You'll get it right more often than not. You don't need someone to tell you what the bible says or what to think about it. Just simply read it and allow yourself to believe what you read. Otherwise, you're wasting your time even asking such questions. Why bother asking questions about the biblical God if you're not going to allow the bible to answer them? It makes no sense!

Resting in Him,
Clete

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I did no such interpreting, I simply quoted the verse at let is say what it seems to say, which of course is directly pertinent to the topic being discussed.
based on your interpretation of those verses
-do you agree that others interpret the bible?

Predi

Here are all of the verses I have quoted in this thread to date, in the order in which I quoted them....

I admire how much time you have. Not enough to answer some of my questions, but that is ok, as I'm not going to answer all of yours, either.

It's amazing that you still hope you can convince me about anything - if we don't even read the same way.

My education tells me that words, in fact, mean nothing, unless they are connected with some ideas in our mind.

There is no exception to this rule, even with words considered as the most basic.

If I say, "A lot of bread", both "a lot" and "bread" can mean totally different things depending on where you are and who you talk to. TOTALLY different. And the bread Jesus broke at the last supper has only one common ingredient with bread you can buy in ShopRite, and it's water.

And you're saying that there exists something like "simple reading of text?"

Well, I believe it does, and there's not one verse in the Bible that everyone will understand the same way, and telling me I'm stupid doesn't change it.

"Forgiveness", "judgment" or "revenge" are much more complicated terms than "a lot of bread". They not only require a thorough interpretation, but this interpretation can totally vary in different passages.

Thanks for trying to convince me that the Bible is the source of Christian doctrine, but you don't have to do that, I strongly believe it already. It's just we read it in a totally different way.

You quoted a lot of verses with words like "judgment" and "vengeance" but if you ever dig into dictionary, you'll see they can have positive meanings. For example, the Greek "ekdikeo" can mean "avenge", "punish", "bring justice" or... "save", "give protection". In some cases it might be up to the heart of reader.

Exegesis is a very developed and science-based thing today but both Catholics and Protestants have their own exegetes, and somehow it doesn't help them in reaching a consensus...

genuineoriginal

A man with special abilities... that seems to make sense, even though it's not easy to understand.
Look at Elijah the prophet and the special abilities he had given to him through the Holy Spirit.
I am not saying Jesus is just a prophet, He is more than just a prophet, I am saying that the special powers Jesus had were all given to Him according to His own statements about the powers.

I'll keep thinking.. And now I need to come back to your previous post about the test of obedience.
Think about the following verses posted by Clete when you look at whether a test of obedience is a valid way of looking at why Jesus had to die:
Going back now to the New King James....

The following are the words of Jesus...
John 10:17 “Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. 18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This COMMAND I have received from My Father.”​

And what you said about hermeneutics... I am usually for literalism, too, but what always puzzles me that there are many examples where the apostles interpreted the Old Testament in a totally non-literal way. They should know better :)
Maybe they did know better than we do, based on these verses:

Luke 24:44-45
44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,​

Without such a direct line as that, we have to make do with the tools available to us, and the literal, grammatical, historical method of studying the Bible is one of the best tools we have.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I admire how much time you have. Not enough to answer some of my questions, but that is ok, as I'm not going to answer all of yours, either.

It's amazing that you still hope you can convince me about anything - if we don't even read the same way.

My education tells me that words, in fact, mean nothing, unless they are connected with some ideas in our mind.

There is no exception to this rule, even with words considered as the most basic.

If I say, "A lot of bread", both "a lot" and "bread" can mean totally different things depending on where you are and who you talk to. TOTALLY different. And the bread Jesus broke at the last supper has only one common ingredient with bread you can buy in ShopRite, and it's water.

And you're saying that there exists something like "simple reading of text?"

Well, I believe it does, and there's not one verse in the Bible that everyone will understand the same way, and telling me I'm stupid doesn't change it.

"Forgiveness", "judgment" or "revenge" are much more complicated terms than "a lot of bread". They not only require a thorough interpretation, but this interpretation can totally vary in different passages.

Thanks for trying to convince me that the Bible is the source of Christian doctrine, but you don't have to do that, I strongly believe it already. It's just we read it in a totally different way.

You quoted a lot of verses with words like "judgment" and "vengeance" but if you ever dig into dictionary, you'll see they can have positive meanings. For example, the Greek "ekdikeo" can mean "avenge", "punish", "bring justice" or... "save", "give protection". In some cases it might be up to the heart of reader.

Exegesis is a very developed and science-based thing today but both Catholics and Protestants have their own exegetes, and somehow it doesn't help them in reaching a consensus...
There is no hope for a productive conversation with a man who thinks that words have no meaning, including, it seems, the very words he used to state such a ridiculously self-defeating proposition.

And if that weren't enough, there is no point in having a biblical argument with a man who asks biblical questions but refuses to allow the bible to answer them.

You've allowed yourself to be educated into a blind stupor that has you convinced you can see just fine. You're a fool. Plain and simple.

You've earned my pity.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Predi

You've earned my pity.

Resting in Him,
Clete

I think with your understanding of forgiveness your signature should be saying restless instead of resting, but who cares, you know, words have no meaning :crackup:

Predi

Without such a direct line as that, we have to make do with the tools available to us, and the literal, grammatical, historical method of studying the Bible is one of the best tools we have.

I would give some of my organs to read the transcription of that conversation :)

Predi

There is a difference between something you could do and something you would do.
God could just forgave sins without any requirement, but He would never do that.

Finding out why God would never forgive sins without any requirement is easy.
Just look at how children end up when their parent lets them get away with everything.

I don't think this comparison is valid, sorry.

Forgiveness and letting to get away with something are two different things.

When my son destroys something on purpose, and then apologizes for it, I will surely forgive him, but will make him pay for it.

As a matter of fact I will forgive my son even if he doesn't apologize.

genuineoriginal

I don't think this comparison is valid, sorry.

Forgiveness and letting to get away with something are two different things.

When my son destroys something on purpose, and then apologizes for it, I will surely forgive him,
That is what God does.

1 John 1:9
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.​

but will make him pay for it.
"Make him pay" can either be the American phrase for taking vengeance on someone or it can be a statement of requiring money.
I am assuming you mean requiring money equal to the cost of the damaged item.

That would not be a good thing to do.

egyptianmuslim

I used to love this metaphorical story about a court trial... we are the defendant, God is the judge, the devil - prosecutor - and we have no lawyer - so we're hopeless, we lose, get sentenced, and then Jesus comes and takes the punishment for us so we are let go.

Then I realized if this metaphor says how it really is in the story of salvation... God doesn't really forgive us anything. The guilt is still punished and someone has to suffer.

Jesus did forgive some people before crucifixion (for example in Luke 7:48), God did that many times in Old Testament, too (e.g. 2 Samuel 12:13).

My question is - why can't God just... forgive me all of my sins? Without the sacrifice of Jesus? Just because God is good and forgiving? We aren't taught in the Bible to forgive with any substitute sacrifice, right? What is the problem then?
God isn't under any law. And we must not ask , can God ....?? Because God can.

Originator of the heavens and the earth. When He decrees a matter, He only says to it, "Be," and it is.
[Quran 2 : 117 ]

Sent from my Q74 using Tapatalk

Predi

That is what God does.

1 John 1:9
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.​

I don't believe this verse tells us to keep confessing us sins we do every day. What about the sins we forget?

And why is there just 1 verse in the whole Bible telling us to do so?

I am assuming you mean requiring money equal to the cost of the damaged item.

Yes, I should be more specific :)

Quote Originally Posted by Predi

That would not be a good thing to do.

Why not?

Predi

God isn't under any law. And we must not ask , can God ....?? Because God can.

Originator of the heavens and the earth. When He decrees a matter, He only says to it, "Be," and it is.
[Quran 2 : 117 ]

Sent from my Q74 using Tapatalk

By asking "Can God" I didn't actually mean God's ability, I was asking if God perhaps just... does it :)

Predi

But if sacrifice wasn't necessary then why would God lower himself if there was some other way?

I don't have doubts it was necessary, I'm asking if it's necessary for forgiveness.

I (let me brag) am able to forgive someone who wronged me without any sacrifice, without any restitution, and without even asking for forgiveness. I won't dare say I do it always, but hey, I'm just human.

Am I holier than thou...? :)

heir

TOL Subscriber
I used to love this metaphorical story about a court trial... we are the defendant, God is the judge, the devil - prosecutor - and we have no lawyer - so we're hopeless, we lose, get sentenced, and then Jesus comes and takes the punishment for us so we are let go.
You believe the work of the cross was metaphorical :doh:

No! It really happened (2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV, 2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV)! Unless and until you believe it (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) happened in your place (Romans 4:25 KJV), you are lost.