☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do Not Make More out of Thanks! feature than is warranted

Do Not Make More out of Thanks! feature than is warranted

AMR, how about respond to post #171?
Here.
That link is broken. When posting a link, right click the post number and select "Copy link address.." option. Then paste that link into your response.

Your broken "Here" should have been formatted as follows:

[url=http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?123868-Can-a-person-loose-their-salvation&p=4963920&viewfull=1#post4963920]Here[/url]

When properly formatted as above the post will read:

Here

;)

So, in response to your question, I pass out "Thanks" with very little assumption that I am in agreement with anyone that I "thank". I am but indicating recognition of their post as it relates to the discussion at hand or just saying "hello!" to someone, letting them know I saw their post...not necessarily that I am "Amen-ing!" their post.

Generally, if I have some real feelings about a post I will respond in the thread and say so directly. Of course, there are times that my "Thanks" is actual appreciation of the content. But is all random, so try not to form hard rules about the use of "Thanks".

In the post in question my thanks was recognition that GD appreciated my detailed response to you wherein I pointed out to you the disconnect between your demand for my immediate response and the fact that I had already responded to the topic at hand. I tend to be verbose and detailed, and in my mind I just assumed GD liked that about my post.

GT, you need to be less sensitive and worrisome about reps and thanks, not taking them to be some vast conspiracy or nefarious. After all, if I took them as you do, I would be very worried that you just do not like me much, given that I can count on one hand the number of times you have "thanked" me. :AMR: But, of course, I do not think that way and recognize that not everyone uses all the features of the site. I regularly thank members that assume I am well on my way to perdition, so do not make the "Thanks" feature some shibboleth about your status.

AMR

Last edited:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Quoting Text from Other Threads

Quoting Text from Other Threads

I could use a brush up on this. Have you a simple tutorial in your repertoire?:)

He makes it sound so simple, doesn't he? :chuckle:
Heh! A barrel of laughs today.

Say you want to quote someone's post in the current thread or even some other thread. You want to quote that item in whatever thread you think it is relevant to.

Here are the steps I use:

1. Assume your web browser page is on a thread that you want to quote another within.
2. Go to that current web page's tab at the top of your browser.
3. Right-click that tab.
4. You will see many menu options, but look for something like "Duplicate" or "Clone" or whatever that indicates you want to open a duplicate of your current tab from step 2.
5. Select the "Duplicate" option.

6. You now have two open web browser tabs pointing to the same web page.

7. The duplicate tab from step 5 is going to be your "working" or "scratchpad" tab for searching about, mousing around, etc. Your original tab retains your place in some thread so leave that one alone for the time being.

8. In the duplicate "working" tab go find the post you are wanting to quote. (I assume one knows all about searching for posts)
9. When you locate that post you want to quote, just select the "Reply With Quote" option.
10. In the window that opens, copy all of the content in the editing window that appeared in step 9.
11. Now return to your original tab from step 1, you know, the one you duplicated in step 5.
12. In that tab just select "Post New Reply" or "Go Advanced" to open a post edit window.
13. Now paste all that which you copied in step 10.

14. You now have all the quoted text bracketed by quote tags and can then delete any irrelevant portions of that quoted text between the quote tags, leaving only what you really want to quote and discuss. It is bad manners to quote and entire long post when responding to only a portion of the post.

In other words, you should now see something like this in the editing window:

[QUOTE="Eagles Wings, post: 0"]
...lots of wonderfully eloquent material worthy of a response..
Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque EW ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi meshak architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam openism voluptatem quia AMR voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut Pate fugit, sed quia consequuntur Knight magni dolores eos Sherman qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem EE ipsum quia dolor sit amet, Lon consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non A4T numquam calvinism eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore GW magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit TH laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure GT reprehenderit Arminianism qui in ea voluptate velit PJ esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?[/quote]

Your response to the above quoted text begis here...yada yada yada

15. Type your response in that post edit window after the last quote tag in the window. As seen above, that last quote tag will look like this: [/quote]. After that end quote tag you just type in whatever you have to say. Never delete these quote tags or things will become very complicated and the reader not able to distinguish between who is being quoted and who is responding. Quote tags come in pairs, a beginning quote tag that will have a username and a postID, [QUOTE="Eagles Wings, post: 0"], and an ending quote tag, [/quote]. If you have multiple quotes in a post, make sure all tags are "balanced" that is, always coming in pairs. Omitting one will really gum up your submitted post. Make sure the total number of beginning and ending quote tags is evenly divisible by two. ;)

16. When you are finished typing your responses, just select the "Submit Reply" in the thread. You have successfully quoted another in the thread, even if that quoted portion was taken from some other thread on TOL. Congratulations!

Note that you could copy and paste several different quotes from other threads in that one response you are submitting. Just go back to your still open "working" tab and search for what you need then follow steps 9-15.

When you are all finished, you can close your duplicated "working" tab.

As a paltry reward for your patience in reading all of this, here is a neat tip on how to find all posts made by a member in a particular thread:

Spoiler

1. Go to a forum of interest. Forums are collections of threads. Forums are topic specific, as in ECT, Politics, Religion.
Let's select Religion: http://theologyonline.com/forumdisplay.php?5-Religion (<--right click this link and select "open link in a new tab" to be able to switch between that page and the one you are reading to follow the instructions below).

2. In the window you will see a collection of threads.
3. Scroll down to the thread entitled "Can a Person loose their salvation?"
4. To the right located the "Replies", which is a number, presently around 180.
5. Click that number of replies.

6. A small window opens listing all the members who have posted in that thread.
7. Next to a person's username you will see Posts: and a number indicating how many posts that person has made in the thread.

8. Click that number and a window will open a listing of the most recent 100 posts by that username.

Way "kewl"!

AMR

Last edited:

God's Truth

That link is broken. When posting a link, right click the post number and select "Copy link address.." option. Then paste that link into your response.

Your broken "Here" should have been formatted as follows:

[url=http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?123868-Can-a-person-loose-their-salvation&p=4963920&viewfull=1#post4963920]Here[/url]

When properly formatted as above the post will read:

Here

;)

So, in response to your question, I pass out "Thanks" with very little assumption that I am in agreement with anyone that I "thank". I am but indicating recognition of their post as it relates to the discussion at hand or just saying "hello!" to someone, letting them know I saw their post...not necessarily that I am "Amen-ing!" their post.

Generally, if I have some real feelings about a post I will respond in the thread and say so directly. Of course, there are times that my "Thanks" is actual appreciation of the content. But is all random, so try not to form hard rules about the use of "Thanks".

In the post in question my thanks was recognition that GD appreciated my detailed response to you wherein I pointed out to you the disconnect between your demand for my immediate response and the fact that I had already responded to the topic at hand. I tend to be verbose and detailed, and in my mind I just assumed GD liked that about my post.

GT, you need to be less sensitive and worrisome about reps and thanks, not taking them to be some vast conspiracy or nefarious. After all, if I took them as you do, I would be very worried that you just do not like me much, given that I can count on one hand the number of times you have "thanked" me. :AMR: But, of course, I do not think that way and recognize that not everyone uses all the features of the site. I regularly thank members that assume I am well on my way to perdition, so do not make the "Thanks" feature some shibboleth about your status.

AMR

I think you misread me and shouldn't be telling me how to be. You did thank someone who did nothing more than insult me. Looks like you found a way to bond with your enemy. As for my giving a broken link, I did that on purpose. I am into teaching things from the Lord and not too into making my posts look good in any other way.

God's Truth

AMR gave you an awesome tutorial. Me? I just hover over the link, right-click, and choose 'open in a new tab." Then just bounce between the two tabs up there▲

I am more into you putting into your own words here instead of using links. By the way, I know how to click on links and open in a new tab.

Ask Mr. Religion

&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am into teaching things from the Lord and not too into making my posts look good in any other way.
Again I do not want to make sweeping assumptions, but this statement does seem to be boastful and elevating yourself over us poor rubes who format posts out of courtesy to our readers.

Are you having a bad day? I know the feeling. I have been having a bad month. Sigh.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Perseverance of the Saints vs. OSAS

Perseverance of the Saints vs. OSAS

I am more into you putting into your own words here instead of using links.
My own words are here (one hundred and thirty-eight posts earlier in this very thread) anytime you feel moved to respond to them. If you do not, it is of no matter to me. Just sayin'.

AMR

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, a person cannot lose his salvation.

(We were bought and paid for...not rented on a trial basis.)

Read the Song of Solomon.

One must be faithful until the Master returns, so says the NT-

Mat 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
Mat 24:43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
Mat 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
Mat 24:45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
Mat 24:46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
Mat 24:47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.
Mat 24:48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
Mat 24:49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
Mat 24:50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
Mat 24:51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Luk 12:36 And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.
Luk 12:37 Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.
Luk 12:38 And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.
Luk 12:39 And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through.
Luk 12:40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.
Luk 12:41 Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this parable unto us, or even to all?
Luk 12:42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?
Luk 12:43 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
Luk 12:44 Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath.
Luk 12:45 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;
Luk 12:46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.
Luk 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
Luk 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

LA

Lon

You couldn't just copy and paste your post here for me to read? Or how about just quote your post?

:think: I don't think you want to teach as bad as you say you do. Do you know 3 days ago you said you weren't here to teach and didn't want to???
No you are not. Just the opposite, for preaching heretical doctrine.
I am being attacked for preaching the truth.

See Persecution Complex fourth one down, but look at the whole list too.

Why is it a cult?
-a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious 1 John 4:1
-a great devotion to a person,object, or idea, that others eschew as antithesis 2 Corinthians 6:16
-a belief of superiority and exclusivity and 'special' knowledge 1 Peter 1:20
-a persecution complex that misunderstands a rejection of behavior and doctrine 1 Peter 2:20 Matthew 5:10-12
-control over members, doctrine and isolation from society 2 Timothy 2:14-26
-brain-washing unrecognized by the member who no longer employs critical or logical thinking skills concerning beliefs 1 John 4:1 2 Timothy 2:15

One who opposes all the rest, thinks they are special with the Lord above the rest of Christendom and it ties directly to 'I must be right' as well as 'if someone opposes me, it is because I'm right.' It is circular reasoning that could only be proved by God alone, thus is also 'special' revelation as well. ALL cults that divert from orthodox Christianity do this. All groups are much smaller than a triumphal God would be capable of. They literally have Him calling the fewest and saving the fewest possible people on earth. It isn't logical of a God who is capable..
I can't be bending over to accommodate all whims when I don't believe teaching is your gift, however.

Lon

I think you misread me and shouldn't be telling me how to be. You did thank someone who did nothing more than insult me. Looks like you found a way to bond with your enemy. As for my giving a broken link, I did that on purpose. I am into teaching things from the Lord and not too into making my posts look good in any other way.

:nono: I give people thanks for a LOT of reasons and to my knowledge, never because they were ripping into someone. Maybe for some point, or maybe entirely unrelated. It is best not trying to be a fruit inspector and letting God do His job. Romans 14:4 Someone may judge your words wrong, not correct, and may use derogatory about those words, but I'd suggest giving the benefit of the doubt. It is really hard for those of you ostracized by a larger part of the TOL community so will always be a difficult task for you, but try. You will notice I gave AMR a lot of "Thank You's" this thread, all of them related to formatting as well as those commenting about formatting. I'm not sure if it is evident or not, but I think you'd have to ask to be sure. -Lon

Lon

Let me offer rebuttal. You won't agree, but just for a moment's consideration:
Read the Song of Solomon.
Old Covenant. You know this. Israel as a people, were not faithful. Hosea is a counter view of God's toward His faithless people.

One must be faithful until the Master returns, so says the NT-
Others will answer this differently, but notice it is His disciples He is talking to:

Mat 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
Mat 24:43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
Mat 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
Mat 24:45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
Mat 24:46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
Mat 24:47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.
Mat 24:48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
Mat 24:49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
Mat 24:50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
Mat 24:51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Note this and the next chapter are talking about the tribulation of the disciples, which they all shared in. For me, as a partial preterist, I believe this already took place and was specific, not just to the 12, but all who were His disciples, including the time of His death burial and Resurrection as well as the acts of the apostles. I do believe in dual prophecy fulfillment, but I believe the warning signs were in direct response to a disciples question about what was going to happen and how they should weather the tribulation they were about to face.
Luk 12:36 And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.
Luk 12:37 Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.
Luk 12:38 And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.
Luk 12:39 And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through.
Luk 12:40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.
Luk 12:41 Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this parable unto us, or even to all?
Luk 12:42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?
Luk 12:43 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
Luk 12:44 Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath.
Luk 12:45 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;
Luk 12:46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.
Luk 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
Luk 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

LA

In John, Peter had gone fishing. Jesus asked him 3 times 'if' he loved Him. Answer: "Feed my sheep" just like here. Luke 12 is especially about immediate tribulation of the crucifixion and persecution of the disciples. Future fulfillment? Possible but not with the same warnings. It is clear in Luke, by example, the warning fits exactly with the Apostles (imho).

I don't believe any of this was about loss of salvation. Even at the end of Matthew 24:45-51, it seems to me, it is one servant (Judas, who was in charge of all possessions).

For your reflection from a partial preterist (thus it is but one way and I think a good way, this reconciles). I may be wrong but think it looks right. -Lon

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Let me offer rebuttal. You won't agree, but just for a moment's consideration:

Old Covenant. You know this. Israel as a people, were not faithful. Hosea is a counter view of God's toward His faithless people.

Others will answer this differently, but notice it is His disciples He is talking to:

Note this and the next chapter are talking about the tribulation of the disciples, which they all shared in. For me, as a partial preterist, I believe this already took place and was specific, not just to the 12, but all who were His disciples, including the time of His death burial and Resurrection as well as the acts of the apostles. I do believe in dual prophecy fulfillment, but I believe the warning signs were in direct response to a disciples question about what was going to happen and how they should weather the tribulation they were about to face.

In John, Peter had gone fishing. Jesus asked him 3 times 'if' he loved Him. Answer: "Feed my sheep" just like here. Luke 12 is especially about immediate tribulation of the crucifixion and persecution of the disciples. Future fulfillment? Possible but not with the same warnings. It is clear in Luke, by example, the warning fits exactly with the Apostles (imho).

I don't believe any of this was about loss of salvation. Even at the end of Matthew 24:45-51, it seems to me, it is one servant (Judas, who was in charge of all possessions).

For your reflection from a partial preterist (thus it is but one way and I think a good way, this reconciles). I may be wrong but think it looks right. -Lon

I think Jesus told Peter 3 times to feed His sheep, to let Him know 3 times He loved Him and would still be using Him even though Peter 3 times rejected Him, showing Him His love and mercy.

Lon

Many times that is the case.
Which? I only know of the ones I give. I cannot guess at other's motives and have made it a point to give them the benefit of the doubt, no matter what I think. I am often naïve, but it is purposeful in trying to 'believe all things, hope all things, and endure all things." I Corinthians 7:8
1 Peter 4:8 *(especially another's against me)

-Lon

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Which? I only know of the ones I give. I cannot guess at other's motives and have made it a point to give them the benefit of the doubt, no matter what I think. I am often naïve, but it is purposeful in trying to 'believe all things, hope all things, and endure all things." I Corinthians 7:8
1 Peter 4:8 *(especially another's against me)

-Lon

Why would anyone thanking the post which mainly focusing on personal attack which is rampant in this forum:?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Why would anyone thanking the post which mainly focusing on personal attack which is rampant in this forum:?

Why do you think anyone owes you an explanation for what they use thanks for? Are you going to start whining about the thanks feature like you used to constantly whine about the reps feature till it was changed and changed again?

Lon

Sometimes I don't even look. They send me a note, or thank me for something, so I thank them back. Yes, I've seen the high-fives, even over something about me. Yesterday someone said publically I couldn't teach and didn't know what I was talking about. I've sent him about 3 pos reps so far. I have no idea why he said it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not that bad as a teacher and at least have some clue as to what I believe :) I'm praying grace will get him. He could teach himself if he applied himself. He can't blame me until he shows himself a workman approved.

Well, as I said, it is all up on TOL so nothing I'm saying here but that I still believe all things work for good Romans 8:28 -Lon