American Film Icons

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You would not wnat to forget, “Talk of the Town” for a bit radical Cary Grant hiding out inn the home, as a odd guest of professor, Ronald Coleman.
Ah, that one should be on Grant and Coleman's lists.

"Angel and the Badman" is an older John Wayne picture people.
That and Stage Coach are my favorites of his early westerns.

I liked "Red River' that best,
It's in the conversation to be sure, though I don't think there was ever a better western than The Searchers. Wayne's list will be fun to put together. :D

and tell me, did Montgomery Clift not look like a young Tom Cruse?
He had movie star in spades, that's for sure, though I think he was a much better actor early than Cruise.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Katherine Hepburn in "Undercurrent", with Robert Taylor, who was a great actor. See "Johnny Eager"

Katherine Hepburn, with Beth Taylor the wealthy disturbed aunt wanting Beth lobotomized. whew!

Katherine Hepburn as bedridden morphine addict, with Jason Robards and Dean Jagger, another weird Katherine Hepburn picture.

I like the thrillers

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Tall in The Saddle, The Searchers and Stage Coach :up: His last one was pretty good.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
"The Killers" Kitty was great, so was the Swede. Ava Gardner, in case you don't know. See Her with Grace Kelly and Clark Gable.

Who Played Amantha Starr?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
A Streetcar Named Desire. The movie was critically acclaimed and Charlie Chaplin called it "the greatest movie made about America."

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A Streetcar Named Desire. The movie was critically acclaimed and Charlie Chaplin called it "the greatest movie made about America."
I prefer O'Toole to Brando and DeNiro to both, but they'll all get a page here. :thumb:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Vivien Leigh with Robert Taylor
Vivien Leigh with Clark Gable
Vivien Leigh with Marlon Brando

Vivien Leigh, is tops! Bette Davis is also tops, more than Joan, but Jean comes close? Myrna Loy? Just Maybe?

If you're an Alfred Hitchcock fan, which I am, you'll notice he works with a lot of the same actors/actresses. For example: Grace Kelly, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Farley Granger, Bruce Dern, Tippi Hedren, Jessie Royce Landis, Leo G. Carroll, to name just a few. I've seen interviews with Mr. Hitchcock and some of these actors and they either love him or hate him. There doesn't appear to be any middle ground.

Question: In the opening credit sequence from the movie North by Northwest, taxis and buses are shown behind the credits. When Alfred Hitchcock makes his typical cameo, he's trying to board a green and beige bus, but in the credits, the city buses shown are red and beige/yellow. Is this a blooper (albeit minor one) or do some cities have buses with different color schemes serving the city at the same time? I don't have the answer but I'm curious if any other person has noticed this.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If you're an Alfred Hitchcock fan, which I am, you'll notice he works with a lot of the same actors/actresses. For example: Grace Kelly, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Farley Granger, Bruce Dern, Tippi Hedren, Jessie Royce Landis, Leo G. Carroll, to name just a few. I've seen interviews with Mr. Hitchcock and some of these actors and they either love him or hate him. There doesn't appear to be any middle ground.

Question: In the opening credit sequence from the movie North by Northwest, taxis and buses are shown behind the credits. When Alfred Hitchcock makes his typical cameo, he's trying to board a green and beige bus, but in the credits, the city buses shown are red and beige/yellow. Is this a blooper (albeit minor one) or do some cities have buses with different color schemes serving the city at the same time? I don't have the answer but I'm curious if any other person has noticed this.
Curious...probably the difference between stock footage and whatever was handy where he made the shot, but I'll see what I can dig up. :D

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
obsessive and childish :nono:

someday Town, you'll grow up

parenthood tends to do that to you

you're just starting out :thumb:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned

I love the panning shots showing all the old cars in many of the films of that period that have exterior scenes

Breathe

Yul Brynner. In anything.
When I was a little girl, I thought young Marlon Brando,David McCallum and Yul Brynner were the handsomest men alive. My lifelong love of and attraction to bald men apparently springs from early exposure to The King and I.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
obsessive and childish :nono:
Showing up in nearly any thread I make? Posting nearly fifty times a day? Pretending to ignore me then citing to something I wrote Letsargue?

Just trying to narrow the field a bit.

someday Town, you'll grow up
Staggering. And you come up with fifty of these every day? That's something. :plain:

parenthood tends to do that to you
So you're saying you don't actually have kids? Or are you being ironic again?

you're just starting out :thumb:
It's a wonderful thing...you appear to be mostly finished. :D

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Showing up in nearly any thread I make?

Rather, posting in many of the threads that show up on the active board

and you should thank me for contributing to your "relevancy" :chuckle:

Posting nearly fifty times a day?

yes, I have a lot of time to kill

I enjoy posting on TOL

and I'm amused that you whine about it :chuckle:

Pretending to ignore me then citing to something I wrote Letsargue?

your posts show up in quotes

surely you remember this from the period of time when you were struggling to keep others on ignore :chuckle:

Staggering. And you come up with fifty of these every day? That's something. :plain:

I know it hurts to think that there are experiences I've had that you haven't, yet.

You'll learn.

All of us parents do.

So you're saying you don't actually have kids?

And here you show your lack of maturity again.

Telling.

It's a wonderful thing...you appear to be mostly finished. :D

With parenting? :nono:

You never stop being a parent.

This is just one of those things you still have to learn, I guess.

Don't worry little buckaroo, you'll get there eventually. :thumb:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Yul Brynner. In anything.
When I was a little girl, I thought young Marlon Brando,David McCallum and Yul Brynner were the handsomest men alive. My lifelong love of and attraction to bald men apparently springs from early exposure to The King and I.

never liked Brando or Brynner when I was young

I liked McCallum

and Mitchum

and whoever co-starred with McCallum in man from uncle

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Rather, posting in many of the threads that show up on the active board
I just think it's funny given all the ignoring you were supposed to be doing, but it's not a problem for me. If you're posting on the OP I'm all for it.

You've already demonstrated a hopeful sign with movies in your Lion in Winter nod and your Man For All Seasons notice. Great films. Someone who appreciates them should be able to really contribute to the thread.

So you're more than welcome here for that. :e4e:

I love the panning shots showing all the old cars in many of the films of that period that have exterior scenes
I look at guns that should not be present in the time period portrayed. I'm not an expert, but I'm told John Wayne often used a Winchester '94. A lot of his movies were depicting periods further back in history. It also bothers me that Audie Murphy would be shooting an 1873 Colt SAA right after the Civil War. I know, I'm nitpicking.

But cars are the same for me too. I just want people to do their due diligence if they want me to watch and enjoy their movies. I don't want to see a cell phone in a World War II movie! Is that too much to ask? Sorry, I'll get off the soap box.