American Film Icons

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Spencer Tracy: a formidable character actor with enough presence to take the lead or even get the better of more recognizably leading men when paired. Here are a handful of his that I love.

San Francisco (1937): Tracy gets the better of Clark Gable in this tale wound around the great earthquake of 1906. Gable is a rogue/gambling house owner who's best friend (Tracy) is a Catholic priest. Both men are tied to a young singer (Janet McDonald) who is slowly being ruined by the seamy attachment to Gable. The ending may be a little trite for some, but it's a good film with Tracy as the rock solid center. He received a Best Actor Oscar nod for the effort.

Boys Town (1937): Tracy once again dons the robes to play Father Flannigan, a man dedicated to the principle that there is no such thing as a bad boy. A young Whitey Marsh (Mickey Rooney), does his level best to test the Father's theory as a tough kid in need of the right example.

A Guy Named Joe (1943): Pete Sandidge (Tracy) is a reckless WWII pilot with a great pal Al Yackey (Ward Bond) and a better gal Dorinda Durston (Irene Dunne), herself an accomplished flier. When Pete is killed completing a mission Dorinda spirals out of control with grief. Enter a young flier Ted Randall (Van Johnson) and a second chance, that is if Pete will put someone else first for once. That's right, Pete. Recently assigned as a ghostly instructor to Randal and still whispering in Dorinda's ear, a late, desperate mission will bring the ill fated lovers together for a moment of decision and redemption. I really like this one.

Keeper of the Flame (1943): my personal favorite pairing of Tracy and Katherine Hepburn. Following the death of a nationally celebrated idol named Robert Forrest, a well know journalist and admirer of Forrest's, Stephen O'Malley (Tracy), visits the widow with the idea of writing an homage to the great man. When she resists strongly he begins to suspect something horribly wrong is at the root of it. He's right.

Adam's Rib (1949): the best comedic pairing of the duo. The two play lawyers on either side of an attempted murder between a man and wife. The trial (and friends) tries their own marriage in an entertaining if a bit one sided look at a subject of men and women struggling to a modern equality.

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955): one of my favorites. Bitter and somewhat literally broken, John J. Macreedy (Tracy) steps off a train in the middle of a desert nowhere, half a horse town on a singular and personal mission, in the wake of WWII. What that mission is quickly consumes a town with a dirty secret that it is willing to kill to protect. Great supporting character work by an all star cast and Robert Ryan as the piece's villain.

Inherit the Wind (1960): This is really the Scopes trial thinly camouflaged and reduced to caricature with Tracy playing the part of Clarence Darrow, if with a surprising twist. Gene Kelly almost steals the show as the cynical journalist whose paper is bankrolling the defense.

I'm leaving off a number of films I like, but this is a good start across an able career.

PureX

Spencer Tracy: a formidable character actor with enough presence to take the lead or even get the better of more recognizably leading men when paired. Here are a handful of his that I love.

I'm leaving off a number of films I like, but this is a good start across an able career.
Spencer Tracy is one of my all time favorite actors. He brought a uniqueness and intensity to his characters that's mesmerizing.

spencer_tracy.jpg

San Francisco (1937): Tracy gets the better of Clark Gable in this tale wound around the great earthquake of 1906. Gable is a rogue/gambling house owner who's best friend (Tracy) is a Catholic priest. Both men are tied to a young singer (Janet McDonald) who is slowly being ruined by the seamy attachment to Gable. The ending may be a little trite for some, but it's a good film with Tracy as the rock solid center. He received a Best Actor Oscar nod for the effort.

Boys Town (1937): Tracy once again dons the robes to play Father Flannigan, a man dedicated to the principle that there is no such thing as a bad boy. A young Whitey Marsh (Mickey Rooney), does his level best to test the Father's theory as a tough kid in need of the right example.

A Guy Named Joe (1943): Pete Sandidge (Tracy) is a reckless WWII pilot with a great pal Al Yackey (Ward Bond) and a better gal Dorinda Durston (Irene Dunne), herself an accomplished flier. When Pete is killed completing a mission Dorinda spirals out of control with grief. Enter a young flier Ted Randall (Van Johnson) and a second chance, that is if Pete will put someone else first for once. That's right, Pete. Recently assigned as a ghostly instructor to Randal and still whispering in Dorinda's ear, a late, desperate mission will bring the ill fated lovers together for a moment of decision and redemption. I really like this one.

Keeper of the Flame (1943): my personal favorite pairing of Tracy and Katherine Hepburn. Following the death of a nationally celebrated idol named Robert Forrest, a well know journalist and admirer of Forrest's, Stephen O'Malley (Tracy), visits the widow with the idea of writing an homage to the great man. When she resists strongly he begins to suspect something horribly wrong is at the root of it. He's right.

Adam's Rib (1949): the best comedic pairing of the duo. The two play lawyers on either side of an attempted murder between a man and wife. The trial (and friends) tries their own marriage in an entertaining if a bit one sided look at a subject of men and women struggling to a modern equality.

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955): one of my favorites. Bitter and somewhat literally broken, John J. Macreedy (Tracy) steps off a train in the middle of a desert nowhere, half a horse town on a singular and personal mission, in the wake of WWII. What that mission is quickly consumes a town with a dirty secret that it is willing to kill to protect. Great supporting character work by an all star cast and Robert Ryan as the piece's villain.

Inherit the Wind (1960): This is really the Scopes trial thinly camouflaged and reduced to caricature with Tracy playing the part of Clarence Darrow, if with a surprising twist. Gene Kelly almost steals the show as the cynical journalist whose paper is bankrolling the defense.

You left off Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, from about the same time period. My favorite Tracy movie comes later in his career, Desk Set. Bad Day at Black Rock is very very good for a variety of reasons. Good choices.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You left off Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, from about the same time period. My favorite Tracy movie comes later in his career, Desk Set.
I don't like Tracy as the villain and I think that story was more ably done by others, though his is nothing to sneeze at. Desk set charms me but fits in with a handful of others that could be rotated in. I limited myself to a couple of their onscreen pairings and chose a comedy and a drama to illustrate range. I also omitted his famous turn as the Father of the Bride.

I don't like Tracy as the villain and I think that story was more ably done by others, though his is nothing to sneeze at. Desk set charms me but fits in with a handful of others that could be rotated in. I limited myself to a couple of their onscreen pairings and chose a comedy and a drama to illustrate range. I also omitted his famous turn as the Father of the Bride.
I noticed that omission. One of the few old movie classics I haven't seen is Inherit the Wind. I'll have to add that to my "bucket" list.

Judgment at Nuremberg and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World are my two ST faves :thumb:
I've only seen parts of Judgment at Nuremberg, so it's hard to rate Tracy's performance. As for It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, I think any number of actors of that era could have played that part. I did thoroughly enjoy the movie.

Other movie Icons from the Golden Age of Cinema are: W. C. Fields, the Marx Brothers, and the Barrymores. Grand Hotel, International House and The Bank Dick, A Night at the Opera and Duck Soup are classic movies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Katherine Hepburn: a great, great actress.

Little Women (1933): my favorite version of the March family saga. Her Joe resonates with me as the truest version to the spirit of the novel. If you don't know the story, get the book :D

Bringing Up Baby (1938): a first rate madcap comedy pairing her with Cary Grant. Sharply written and timed impeccably. One of her best comedies.

The Philadelphia Story (1940): Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn. Flawed in execution, but memorable for the rare turn between Stewart and Grant. And very likable as a film. She isn't given much to work with, an unlikable, judgmental character with too many sharp edges that only begin to be shed in short order once she fails her own standards. That said, she takes a thankless role and makes it shine like a diamond.

Keeper of the Flame (1943): Hepburn plays the role of a widow to a seemingly great and much celebrated man. When an admiring reporter, played by Spencer Tracy, arrives with the intent to write an homage things begin to heat up. She confuses him by resisting at first and then steering him later until feelings between the two lead her to unburden herself of a shattering secret.

Adam's Rib (1949): the best of the Tracy/Hepburn comedic pairings, with Kate taking the more difficult (and hamstrung) task of advancing the female part of a conflict between two attorneys who happen to be married and dealing with another conflict between husband and wife that ended in attempted homicide.

The African Queen (1951): a film I own and love to watch regularly, Hepburn is cast as the sister of a Methodist missionary killed by the Germans at the outset of WWI. She is rescued by Charlie Allnut (Humphry Bogart) the coarse captain of the African Queen, a squalid little boat he uses to take mail and provisions along the river. Before long romance and a plot to sink a German ship of war are afoot. Terrific film.

The Lion in Winter (1968): At her best, Hepburn plays Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine, released from imprisonment by her husband, Henry (marvelously brought to life by Peter O'Toole) who is in need of property she possesses and who has a new, young lover he desires to see on the throne, producing a new heir. The old heirs, like Richard the Lionhearted (Anthony Hopkins in his first film role), John (Nigel Terry, later to be Arthur in the film Excalibur) and Geoffery. The squabbling and plotting are sharply set out in dialog worthy of the Oscar win it received, as did Hepburn.

I'm leaving out many great films, again, to give you a few of my personal favorites I hope you watch at some point. :D

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Clark Gable: not a personal favorite and I don't think he has many great films in his arsenal, but he had a couple that shouldn't be missed and his presence and impact is undeniable.

It Happened One Night (1934): a fine romantic comedy about a spoiled rich girl in need of exposure to life and the cynical reporter who first uses and then is transformed by her even as he changes the way she sees herself and the life she was sleep walking through.

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935): Gable's turn as Fletcher Christian is as good as any other and, to my mind, less calculated and more interesting than the others.

Gone With the Wind (1939): a masterpiece for all its problems and Gable almost out Gables himself as the films center, a raffish idealist/romantic hiding behind a jaded exterior. A powerful performance among powerful performances.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Gene Tierney, Leave Her To Heaven and The Razor's Edge

Jean Simmons, Angel Face

Then look at Leigh in Streetcar

See what I mean?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Gene Tierney, Leave Her To Heaven and The Razor's Edge

Jean Simmons, Angel Face

Then look at Leigh in Streetcar

See what I mean?
Some good work in there. I'm mostly following the chronology of my own discovery of film from boyhood on. So everyone should feel free to add whatever works for them. :thumb:

As a kid I was much more interested in books and film where the protagonist was someone I could imagine being or growing up to be. I really started paying more attention to the women of film as I grew older. Came to love Lombard, Greer Garson and Irene Dunne or Gene Tierney. Of course I had a horrible crush on Ginger Rogers from the first moment I saw her dance. :D Then I saw Gail Russel in Angel and the Badman and learned about romantic conflict. :chuckle:

Katherine Hepburn: a great, great actress.

Little Women (1933): my favorite version of the March family saga. Her Joe resonates with me as the truest version to the spirit of the novel. If you don't know the story, get the book :D

Bringing Up Baby (1938): a first rate madcap comedy pairing her with Cary Grant. Sharply written and timed impeccably. One of her best comedies.

The Philadelphia Story (1940): Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn. Flawed in execution, but memorable for the rare turn between Stewart and Grant. And very likable as a film. She isn't given much to work with, an unlikable, judgmental character with too many sharp edges that only begin to be shed in short order once she fails her own standards. That said, she takes a thankless role and makes it shine like a diamond.

Keeper of the Flame (1943): Hepburn plays the role of a widow to a seemingly great and much celebrated man. When an admiring reporter, played by Spencer Tracy, arrives with the intent to write an homage things begin to heat up. She confuses him by resisting at first and then steering him later until feelings between the two lead her to unburden herself of a shattering secret.

Adam's Rib (1949): the best of the Tracy/Hepburn comedic pairings, with Kate taking the more difficult (and hamstrung) task of advancing the female part of a conflict between two attorneys who happen to be married and dealing with another conflict between husband and wife that ended in attempted homicide.

The African Queen (1951): a film I own and love to watch regularly, Hepburn is cast as the sister of a Methodist missionary killed by the Germans at the outset of WWI. She is rescued by Charlie Allnut (Humphry Bogart) the coarse captain of the African Queen, a squalid little boat he uses to take mail and provisions along the river. Before long romance and a plot to sink a German ship of war are afoot. Terrific film.

The Lion in Winter (1968): At her best, Hepburn plays Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine, released from imprisonment by her husband, Henry (marvelously brought to life by Peter O'Toole) who is in need of property she possesses and who has a new, young lover he desires to see on the throne, producing a new heir. The old heirs, like Richard the Lionhearted (Anthony Hopkins in his first film role), John (Nigel Terry, later to be Arthur in the film Excalibur) and Geoffery. The squabbling and plotting are sharply set out in dialog worthy of the Oscar win it received, as did Hepburn.

I'm leaving out many great films, again, to give you a few of my personal favorites I hope you watch at some point. :D
She may be considered a great actress, but I can't stand her. I only tolerate movies she's in because of her supporting cast.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Ronald Coleman: only appreciated by movie buffs, Coleman's prime was spent in silent film, but he managed to make a few gems in talking pictures that will leave you wishing he'd been born a decade later.

A Tale of Two Cities (1935): Coleman is at his best as the dissolute, cynical barrister Sydney Carton, who first defends then saves the love of a woman he himself comes to adore. And it is through this love and his eventual sacrifice that Carton finds his feet and heart in one of the best performances and stories going. Do yourself a favor.

Lost Horizon (1937): Robert Conway (Coleman) is a diplomat given the unenviable task of rescuing a small number of western citizens from the Chinese city of Baskul in 1935 as war sweeps across the continent. During their escape by plane a crash leaves the party stranded in the high mountains. They're rescued and taken to Shangri-La, a city where little is as it first seems, including the ages of its inhabitants. That should be enough of a teaser. :D

The Prisoner of Zenda (1937): Coleman does a masterfully engaging job of taking on dual roles. He enters as an Englishman on a fishing vacation to a scenic little kingdom with a prince (also Coleman) about to become a king. The prince in question is in need of maturation and the throne is in jeopardy from a few dastardly plotters (aren't they always?). When the king to be meets the visiting Englishman it turns out they have more in common than meets the eye, but what meets the eye is startling. A night of drinking leaves the prince incapacitated and the foreigner doppelganger obliged to play king for a day, that thanks to the previously mentioned dastardly plotters and a successful kidnapping could well turn into the role of a literal lifetime.

Random Harvest (1942): My wife's absolute favorite. Coleman is paired with Greer Garson, who steals the movie. The story is about a man who has been driven temporarily insane by the horrors he's met in the trenches of WWI. Institutionalized, he escapes into a nearby town amid the fanfare accompanying news of the wars end. There he is discovered and cared for by Garson. He mends and the two fall in love, have a child and start a life. Shortly thereafter Smithy (Coleman) leaves to find work in Liverpool and while there is struck by a taxi. He wakes with no memory of his recent life and returns to his wealthy family, having been given up for dead. How the two manage to find each other over years and heartbreak is the real story here and the ending is sublime. :D

You would not wnat to forget, “Talk of the Town” for a bit radical Cary Grant hiding out inn the home, as a odd guest of professor, Ronald Coleman.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
"Angel and the Badman" is an older John Wayne picture people. I liked "Red River' that best, and tell me, did Montgomery Clift not look like a young Tom Cruse?