American Film Icons

Lon

Jimmy Stewart:

It's a Wonderful Life (1946): one of the best Christmas movies ever made tells the tale of George Bailey (Stewart) a man who sacrifices to make the lives of others better and manages to keep a cheerful face over his personal frustrations until an accident turned conspiracy at the bank threatens to undo everything he's made. Driven to thoughts of suicide by the man who likely ran his father into an early grave and set him firmly on that path of self sacrifice, George wonders if the world (and George) would have been better off without him. The answer to that, with the help of a hapless angel, is cinematic gold.
Yep, the two are virtually synonymous

Jimmy Stewart: Winchester '73 (1950): arguably the best of his psychologically complicated westerns, it follows the story of a man in search of the brother who killed their father. Along the way there are Indian uprisings and love triangles, the usual stuff of westerns, but with a very different and sophisticated undercurrent. I don't care as much for Jimmy in the post WWII, angry turns, but this is a keeper.
In contrast to The Man Who Shot Liberty V, in this one he is the strong lead, and does so very well.

Jimmy Stewart: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962): one of two on screen pairings with John Wayne and one of the best westerns ever made. We meet Stewart as a beloved U.S. Senator, returning to the small town that launched him and the funeral of another man (Wayne) whose sacrifice made it possible. The back story that unfolds in flashback is an homage to the dying breed of men who carved out the West for other men to profit by.
John Wayne, who didn't make your list btw! o_O
Okay, you know Duke fans when you see them and I certainly am. I have a few of these others in your thread but I have a great many of John Wayne's because of their repeat entertainment quality. Even if one does not deem him in their top list, he is quintessential Western, as Stewart is to It's a Wonderful Life. John Wayne is the only one to have won the Presidents medal posthumously for his contributions to American ideals and history. I admit the repetition may be blase for some, but there is no denial that he deserves his iconic status, regardless of disagreements or contentions.

Jimmy Stewart: Shenandoah
(1965): Stewart is the matriarch of a large Southern family swept up in the passion of a Civil War he'd just as soon ignore. The rest is lesson and loss and redemption. It's long and heavy handed and without Stewart would collapse upon itself in a second, but with him it becomes compelling and bitter sweet.
This one is probably my favorite western/war genre of his. He is mature and believable and the Patriot with Mel Gibson is reminiscent of it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yep, the two are virtually synonymous
And rightly so, though it's a near tie for me with Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

John Wayne, who didn't make your list btw! o_O
Don't be daft. The list is ongoing and The Duke won't be left off it. :nono: He's underrated as an actor (see: Red River, The Searchers, The Quiet Man or his introduction, Stagecoach).

TBC

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My favorite John Wayne movie was The Cowboys.

Made me laugh.
Made me cry.

Lon

And rightly so, though it's a near tie for me with Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Don't be daft. The list is ongoing and The Duke won't be left off it. :nono: He's underrated as an actor (see: Red River, The Searchers, The Quiet Man or his introduction, Stagecoach).

TBC
Yeah, but Ronald Coleman before him? :D

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
John Wayne: already a star of B-westerns, Wayne made the leap into "overnight sensation" in, appropriately enough, a western, Stagecoach. I'll start with it and hit a few personal highlights in a career that left us with a large number of films worth seeing.

Stagecoach (1939): a group of strangers find themselves fleeing an Apache uprising in a lone stagecoach. Along the way they encounter a horseless Ringo Kid (Wayne) who is taken into custody by his friend, lawman and shotgun rider for the stage. From there on it's a matter of finding out who is what and why. Great film where the bad guys are among the best people you'll meet and the respectable citizenry have a thing or two to learn.

Angel and the Badman (1947): a number of likable but unremarkable films following that introduction ends with this precursor to Witness. Wounded and in need of shelter, sometimes outlaw Quirt Evans stumbles into the arms of Quakers, who in short order (and with the help of sizzling romantic chemistry between him and Gail Russel as the wide eyed girl who nurses him from the brink) bring out the best in the badman. Mix in Harry Carey as an aging sheriff who'd rather not have to hang the young maverick and you'd have a terrific movie even without the obligatory bad guys searching to find and end what they started over a land grab.

Red River (1948): to my mind his second best western (and that's saying something) but arguably his finest job as an actor. Wayne plays Thomas Dunson. When we meet him he is leaving the love of his life behind with a wagon train while he goes deeper into the wilderness with his side kick, Walter Brennan, to stake his claim. She begs to go/he says he'll come for her when he's founded the ranch. Shortly thereafter the two men see flames in the distance and Dunston understands the horrible mistake he's made. They find a single survivor, a young boy with a cow.

Years later we meet Dunson and the boy, now grown into a young Montgomery Clift, desperately driving cattle to market, faced with ruin if they fail. The growing conflict between Dunston, a man driven to make the trek at any cost to anyone and his adopted heir and conscience along with the introduction of a young woman who reminds Dunston of the price he's paid in more ways than one drive the movie to a really fine conclusion.

Three Godfathers (1948): a great Christmas movie about three outlaws who stumble across a dying woman and give their last measure taking her infant to safety in New Jerusalem, across an unforgiving desert.

The Quiet Man (1952): comedy and romance built on a dramatic foundation. Boxer Sean Thorton (Wayne) kills a man in the ring and can't live with it, so he takes his money and heads back to Ireland, where he was born and reared. There he buys the family homestead, incurring the wrath of a neighbor, Squire Red Danagher and the favor of that neighbor's sister Mary Danagher(Maureen O'Hara). When the two eventually wed, the matter of her dowry forces Sean to face his demons and her brother if he means to have any peace.

It's a wonderful story with a number of find comedic supporting roles from the likes of Ward Bond and Barry Fitzgerald and shouldn't be missed.

The Searchers (1956): Ethan Evans (Wayne) returns from the Civil War, after three years of wandering and inferred activity of a less than legal nature. He arrives to a hero's welcome at the family ranch now run by his brother, who appears to have married a woman both men prized. Shortly thereafter Texas Rangers show up to draft Ethan into service to chase Comanche who have stolen a neighbors cattle.

While they're gone (the raid being a ruse) the same Comanche attack the ranch, kill Ethan's brother along with the brother's wife and son, kidnapping the youngest, a girl. The rest is a story of relentless pursuit, redemption and faith. One of the best films I've ever watched and arguably the finest western ever made.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence (1962): see my review of it in Jimmy Stewart's filmography earlier. A terrific film where Wayne plays a sort of western Beowulf. Great, tragic role.

True Grit (1969): Wayne's overdue Oscar notice for his turn as a burnt out bounty hunter of a sheriff who takes on the cause of a young girl whose father has been betrayed and murdered. The best of his later westerns, though there are a half dozen honorable mentions to be had here.

John Wayne: already a star of B-westerns, Wayne made the leap into "overnight sensation" in, appropriately enough, a western, Stagecoach. I'll start with it and hit a few personal highlights in a career that left us with a large number of films worth seeing.

Stagecoach (1939): a group of strangers find themselves fleeing an Apache uprising in a lone stagecoach. Along the way they encounter a horseless Ringo Kid (Wayne) who is taken into custody by his friend, lawman and shotgun rider for the stage. From there on it's a matter of finding out who is what and why. Great film where the bad guys are among the best people you'll meet and the respectable citizenry have a thing or two to learn.

Angel and the Badman (1947): a number of likable but unremarkable films following that introduction ends with this precursor to Witness. Wounded and in need of shelter, sometimes outlaw Quirt Evans stumbles into the arms of Quakers, who in short order (and with the help of sizzling romantic chemistry between him and Gail Russel as the wide eyed girl who nurses him from the brink) bring out the best in the badman. Mix in Harry Carey as an aging sheriff who'd rather not have to hang the young maverick and you'd have a terrific movie even without the obligatory bad guys searching to find and end what they started over a land grab.

Red River (1948): to my mind his second best western (and that's saying something) but arguably his finest job as an actor. Wayne plays Thomas Dunson. When we meet him he is leaving the love of his life behind with a wagon train while he goes deeper into the wilderness with his side kick, Walter Brennan, to stake his claim. She begs to go/he says he'll come for her when he's founded the ranch. Shortly thereafter the two men see flames in the distance and Dunston understands the horrible mistake he's made. They find a single survivor, a young boy with a cow.

Years later we meet Dunson and the boy, now grown into a young Montgomery Clift, desperately driving cattle to market, faced with ruin if they fail. The growing conflict between Dunston, a man driven to make the trek at any cost to anyone and his adopted heir and conscience along with the introduction of a young woman who reminds Dunston of the price he's paid in more ways than one drive the movie to a really fine conclusion.

Three Godfathers (1948): a great Christmas movie about three outlaws who stumble across a dying woman and give their last measure taking her infant to safety in New Jerusalem, across an unforgiving desert.

The Quiet Man (1952): comedy and romance built on a dramatic foundation. Boxer Sean Thorton (Wayne) kills a man in the ring and can't live with it, so he takes his money and heads back to Ireland, where he was born and reared. There he buys the family homestead, incurring the wrath of a neighbor, Squire Red Danagher and the favor of that neighbor's sister Mary Danagher(Maureen O'Hara). When the two eventually wed, the matter of her dowry forces Sean to face his demons and her brother if he means to have any peace.

It's a wonderful story with a number of find comedic supporting roles from the likes of Ward Bond and Barry Fitzgerald and shouldn't be missed.

The Searchers (1956): Ethan Evans (Wayne) returns from the Civil War, after three years of wandering and inferred activity of a less than legal nature. He arrives to a hero's welcome at the family ranch now run by his brother, who appears to have married a woman both men prized. Shortly thereafter Texas Rangers show up to draft Ethan into service to chase Comanche who have stolen a neighbors cattle.

While they're gone (the raid being a ruse) the same Comanche attack the ranch, kill Ethan's brother along with the brother's wife and son, kidnapping the youngest, a girl. The rest is a story of relentless pursuit, redemption and faith. One of the best films I've ever watched and arguably the finest western ever made.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence (1962): see my review of it in Jimmy Stewart's filmography earlier. A terrific film where Wayne plays a sort of western Beowulf. Great, tragic role.

True Grit (1969): Wayne's overdue Oscar notice for his turn as a burnt out bounty hunter of a sheriff who takes on the cause of a young girl whose father has been betrayed and murdered. The best of his later westerns, though there are a half dozen honorable mentions to be had here.
You left out The High And The Mighty, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and Fort Apache. That said, The Quiet Man and The High And The Mighty may be my favorites. But I like most of his movies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You left out The High And The Mighty, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and Fort Apache. That said, The Quiet Man and The High And The Mighty may be my favorites. But I like most of his movies.
Oh, I left out a number of films I like of his to spotlight the ones I think establish and further his bonifides. All the Ford westerns were worth seeing with him. Someone earlier noted I was really going a bit long so I'm making a concerted effort to distill to the most critically acclaimed and/or popular. I left out The Cowboys, for Pete's sake. :D

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One of the problems with going into a book store is that there are just so many books! And they all look good by the title and the cover art. And many of them are. But for some reason, that only makes it more difficult for me to choose one, which would seem counter-intuitive. Whereas when the field of possibilities is narrowed down to a dozen or so, I can look over each one and easily decide on one or two.

That's all I'm saying.
I took his list and looked what is available on Netflix online. So far I have....
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Charade, and His Girl Friday to choose from.
a much more manageable list.

I may end up subscribing to the DVD version of for a few months.

Last edited:
I took his list and looked what is available on Netflix online. So far I have....
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Charade, and His Girl Friday to choose from.
a much more manageable list.

I may end up subscribing to the DVD version of for a few months.
If you haven't seen Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn in Charade, by all means put that first. I also recommend her in Wait Until Dark. Great movies you won't get tired of. Avoid the remake of Charade (The Truth About Charlie) at all costs. It's two hours I'll never get back. It's not that the acting is that bad, it's the direction and poor casting of parts that really suck. And the musical score is bad too.

Lon

John Wayne:

Stagecoach
Angel and the Badman
Red River

Three Godfathers
The Quiet Man

The Searchers

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

True Grit
I was wiping away tears so hadn't been able to post a response when I saw TH had chosen John Wayne next (what? Macho guys can wipe a tiny tear dabbed from the corner of the outside of the eye now a-days, as long as its quick and no snibbling).

Most of my 'must watch' list for John Wayne is his later films and for the following reasons:

1. Rio Bravo/ The Quiet Man Why these two for #1?
First of all, the quiet man is very John Ford who is on the top of my list for Duke directors. Hal Wallis is the other, for me personally.
Second, because when you put Ricky Nelson, Dean Martin, and Walter Brennan into a movie with John Wayne, you are making a classic and quintessential Western. I would absolutely grant that John Wayne's acting ability is better displayed in other movies, but that the other reason is that this one captured my "Duke" attention from a young age. It is the one that 'sold' me. For others a bit older, "Hondo" would have been (has been) their John Wayne induction movie. It is briefly a story about a washed up sheriff (Dean Martin) who has become the town drunk and allowed an ambitious bad man (Ed Asner) to take over his town. John Wayne has to not only sober up his old friend, but hold the town law together while doing so. My favorite John Wayne joke comes from this movie:

Duke fan 1: I bet John Wayne falls off his horse.
Duke fan 2: No way, John Wayne never falls off of his horse. I'll make that bet!
-Sure enough, a rifle is fired and John Wayne falls off his horse.
Duke fan 2: Here is your money.
Duke fan 1: No, I can't take your money, I've seen this movie before.
Duke fan 2: Me too. I didn't think he'd fall for that again!
If you like[d] Rio Bravo, you'd appreciate El Dorado which follows a similar drunk sheriff (Robert Mitchum) and town surrendered to an ambitious badman without scruples. that John Wayne and a young James Caan must fight while nursing the drunk sheriff back to health.
John Wayne made another good picture with Dean Martin called The Sons of Katie Elder which is worth an honorable mention here too. When the mother of 4 sons dies, the sons set out to find what happened to their family ranch and money, against the dying wishes of their mother.

TH did a good job summarizing the Quiet Man so I'll not add much more. The movie draws you into the Irish countryside and way of life of yesteryear in an incredibly nostalgic way. I would bank money this movie is the reason for many Irish vacations when it first came out. What It's A Wonderful Life does for Christmas, for me, the Quiet Man does for an Ireland Countryside way of life (and in that reflects all rural life and customs in a positive nostalgic light as well).

I have a hard time at this point deciding which route to go. John Wayne did mostly westerns but also stretched his roles (a far stretch when he played Genghis Khan) in movies such as The Quiet Man. So, I'm divided as to whether to go to his obvious other successful western movies like True Grit, the Cowboys, The Undefeated,and Big Jake (two more of my personal favorites of his westerns), or to mention The Sea Chase, or Blood Alley, or John Wayne's other war movies such as The Sands of Iowa Jima, In Harm's Way, or the Green Berets which he made to help raise awareness and support for troops in the Vietnam Conflict.

John Wayne is best known and appreciated for his Westerns and war movies. He had mild success in his romantic leading man roles but most are unknown or forgotten by men.

Perhaps for the women who still love his films, he still fits the bill for the classic strong and silent type in those roles.
Where is my John Wayne?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ah, Rio Bravo, the film so nice they made it twice. :D I do prefer this version to the James Caan, but I'd like to mix and match actors. I'd rather have Robert Mitchum as the sheriff and nix the singing bit altogether, though it's a good enough tune.

My favorite WWII film with him in it (and I think his war pics were serviceable but rarely on par with the westerns) was his lesser role in The Longest Day. He hits just the right notes. Terrific enlongated cameo.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I love movies. I've been a fan of film as long as I can remember. I suppose my earliest memory would be The Wizard of Oz. I saw it on a black and white television. When I saw it again a year or so later on a color television I'm told I was very upset. :D

Anyway, those of you who've been around a while know I created a movie star game. The foundation of it was that a movie star needed three seminal films remembered indefinitely. This thread will be a little more expansive. I'm going to go through a list of movie stars and my favorite films from the star, ones I hope you've seen or will at some point.

INDEX by post number (linked):

1. Cary Grant

2. Ronald Coleman

3. Jimmy Stewart

4. Spencer Tracy

5. Katharine Hepburn

6. Clark Gable

7. John Wayne

No Audrey Hepburn? :box:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
One of the problems with going into a book store is that there are just so many books! And they all look good by the title and the cover art. And many of them are. But for some reason, that only makes it more difficult for me to choose one, which would seem counter-intuitive. Whereas when the field of possibilities is narrowed down to a dozen or so, I can look over each one and easily decide on one or two.

That's all I'm saying.

you can choose more than one :idunno:

heck, if you go to the library you can take out a whole armload