American Film Icons

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I love movies. I've been a fan of film as long as I can remember. I suppose my earliest memory would be The Wizard of Oz. I saw it on a black and white television. When I saw it again a year or so later on a color television I'm told I was very upset. :D

Anyway, those of you who've been around a while know I created a movie star game. The foundation of it was that a movie star needed three seminal films remembered indefinitely. This thread will be a little more expansive. I'm going to go through a list of movie stars and my favorite films from the star, ones I hope you've seen or will at some point.

INDEX by post number (linked):

1. Cary Grant

2. Ronald Coleman

3. Jimmy Stewart

4. Spencer Tracy

5. Katharine Hepburn

6. Clark Gable

7. John Wayne

8. Gary Cooper

9. Robbin Williams

10. Kevin Kline

11. Audrey Hepburn

12. Brad Pitt

13. Robert Redford

14. Kevin Costner

15. Tom Hanks

16. Peter O'Toole

17. Irene Dunne

18. Henry Fonda

19. Harrison Ford

20. Tom Cruise

21. Michael Caine

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Cary Grant: though his movie career began in 1932, with This is the Night, for me the year he became a movie star isn't 1937's Topper, but in the first film on my list, some two years later.

Bringing Up Baby (1938): a first rate madcap comedy pairing him with Katherine Hepburn. Sharply written and timed impeccably. One of his best comedies.

Gunga Din (1939): a grand adventure with great chemistry between Grant, as a strong armed but childish sergeant, and his two costars, Victor McLaglen and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. as they set about accidentally thwarting a Thuggee uprising.

His Girl Friday (1940): a film ahead of its time, filled with technique that would be borrowed by smart comedies for decades. Very, very funny. Grant plays a newspaper editor/owner with questionable ethics, as he seeks to derail his ex wife's remarriage and the execution of a confused death row inmate. Yes, I know it doesn't sound like a comedy. That's how brilliant it is. :D

The Philadelphia Story (1940): Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn. Flawed in execution, but memorable for the rare turn between Stewart and Grant. And very likable as a film.

Suspicion (1941): Grant plays a rogue in his first pairing with director Alfred Hitchcock. Joan Fontaine (who won an Oscar for her portrayal) is a mousy, somewhat sad, very rich young woman who is swept up by the obvious ne'er do well Grant. But following a few sharp turns that end in marriage she begins to wonder, not so much about whether he married her for her money, but whether he'll kill her to have it all to himself.

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944): another solid comedic performance that features wonderful supporting work by Peter Lorre and Raymond Massey. Mortimer Brewster (Grant) was reared by two aunts after a family tragedy, or so he believes. Mortimer, engaged to be married, is paying a visit to his aunts when he discovers a dead body in the window seat and the beginning of a set of family secrets that might upset his plans.

Notorious (1946): though it's more Ingrid Bergman's film, Grant's turn as a cynical spy with a soft spot for Bergman is central to the narrative. Claude Rains gives another strong performance as the Nazi conspirator Bergman is sent to seduce to infiltrate the Nazi ranks.

The Bishop's Wife (1947): Bishop Henry Brougham (David Niven) is a pastor who thinks he needs a new church. What he really needs is more pressing and important, to reconnect with his wife (a fine performance by Loretta Young) and child. Enter Dudley (Grant) an angel on a mission to answer the Bishop's prayer. A wonderful Christmas movie.

To Catch a Thief (1955): John Roby (Grant) is a world class jewel thief, retired and forgiven his trespasses for service rendered in the resistance during WWII. But someone is stealing from the rich and doing their best to point the hounds of Interpol in his direction. He soon realizes that the only way out of a future cell is to do what the police can't (see title). Grace Kelly is along for the ride and a cheesy bit of romance that works anyway.

An Affair to Remember (1957): the movie Nora Ephron was thinking about when she wrote Sleepless in Seattle. A fine romance with comedic elements. Kerr and Grant are instantly believable in a film whose conventions aren't particularly.

Indiscreet (1958): the second pairing of Bergman and Grant. This time he's an economist the U.N. wants to tell them their business and she's an accomplished actress. The two are introduced by mutual friends and it's love in short order, except that he claims to be married, if estranged. When she discovers the lie (he's not) a well plotted revenge is the entertaining order of the day.

North by Northwest (1959): arguably the best film Hitchcock made and Grant is terrific as the victim of mistaken identity used by his own government to catch a particularly nasty group of criminals. One of Grant's best roles.

Charade (1963): Grant plays a man who befriends a recently widowed Audrey Hepburn, whose murdered husband has somehow left her a small fortune that several former associates of said husband intend to have. What Grant is or isn't won't be entirely clear until the surprising ending.

Father Goose (1964): his last starring role before playing the semi lead a year later in his last and most forgettable role. It's a minor tale of a man who is hiding from life on an island when WWII comes calling. Shortly thereafter a group of school children and their governess are stranded with him and you can imagine the rest. It's light, but charming.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ronald Coleman: only appreciated by movie buffs, Coleman's prime was spent in silent film, but he managed to make a few gems in talking pictures that will leave you wishing he'd been born a decade later.

A Tale of Two Cities (1935): Coleman is at his best as the dissolute, cynical barrister Sydney Carton, who first defends then saves the love of a woman he himself comes to adore. And it is through this love and his eventual sacrifice that Carton finds his feet and heart in one of the best performances and stories going. Do yourself a favor.

Lost Horizon (1937): Robert Conway (Coleman) is a diplomat given the unenviable task of rescuing a small number of western citizens from the Chinese city of Baskul in 1935 as war sweeps across the continent. During their escape by plane a crash leaves the party stranded in the high mountains. They're rescued and taken to Shangri-La, a city where little is as it first seems, including the ages of its inhabitants. That should be enough of a teaser. :D

The Prisoner of Zenda (1937): Coleman does a masterfully engaging job of taking on dual roles. He enters as an Englishman on a fishing vacation to a scenic little kingdom with a prince (also Coleman) about to become a king. The prince in question is in need of maturation and the throne is in jeopardy from a few dastardly plotters (aren't they always?). When the king to be meets the visiting Englishman it turns out they have more in common than meets the eye, but what meets the eye is startling. A night of drinking leaves the prince incapacitated and the foreigner doppelganger obliged to play king for a day, that thanks to the previously mentioned dastardly plotters and a successful kidnapping could well turn into the role of a literal lifetime.

Random Harvest (1942): My wife's absolute favorite. Coleman is paired with Greer Garson, who steals the movie. The story is about a man who has been driven temporarily insane by the horrors he's met in the trenches of WWI. Institutionalized, he escapes into a nearby town amid the fanfare accompanying news of the wars end. There he is discovered and cared for by Garson. He mends and the two fall in love, have a child and start a life. Shortly thereafter Smithy (Coleman) leaves to find work in Liverpool and while there is struck by a taxi. He wakes with no memory of his recent life and returns to his wealthy family, having been given up for dead. How the two manage to find each other over years and heartbreak is the real story here and the ending is sublime. :D

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Jimmy Stewart: Stewart had been in a number of films before he found his mark as Tony Kirby in Frank Capra's You Can't Take It With You and the powers that be realized the right vehicle for him. It's a likable enough film, but I'll go with his next Capra pairing for the beginning of Jimmy Stewart the movie star.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939): still the best movie ever written about political idealism taking on the inherent corruption of government and power. Stewart got his first and well deserved Oscar nomination for his portrayal of young Jefferson Smith, a fellow pushed into power following the death of a sitting senator. Meant to be a paper tiger, his idealistic efforts at helping the boys of the nation inadvertently sets him on a collision course with the dark underbelly of political power in his state. One of the best endings of any movie ever made. If you aren't cheering and grinning at the close you may need a defibrillator.

The Philadelphia Story (1940): A film most notable for its pairing him with Katherin Hepburn and Cary Grant. The film is flawed, vaguely misogynistic and contrived, but you won't care if you settle in to watch it. On the surface it's about a socialite (Hepburn) about to wed an up and coming man of the people. Her last/first husband, Dexter (Grant) is about to do his subtle best to play monkey wrench in those plans. Stewart arrives with Dexter to report on the tangled schemes of the rich and idle, but soon finds his class ideas turned on their ear.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946): one of the best Christmas movies ever made tells the tale of George Bailey (Stewart) a man who sacrifices to make the lives of others better and manages to keep a cheerful face over his personal frustrations until an accident turned conspiracy at the bank threatens to undo everything he's made. Driven to thoughts of suicide by the man who likely ran his father into an early grave and set him firmly on that path of self sacrifice, George wonders if the world (and George) would have been better off without him. The answer to that, with the help of a hapless angel, is cinematic gold.

Call Northside 777 (1948): A man is convicted and sentenced to life for the killing of a police officer during prohibition. Eleven years later his mother puts an add in a newspaper offering five thousand dollars to anyone with information on the true killer. This intrigues the paper's editor (Lee Jay Cobb) who sends a cynical reporter (Stewart) to find out the particulars. What he reluctantly discovers challenges the conclusion of the court and the powers that put a man behind bars for a crime he may not have committed.

Winchester '73 (1950): arguably the best of his psychologically complicated westerns, it follows the story of a man in search of the brother who killed their father. Along the way there are Indian uprisings and love triangles, the usual stuff of westerns, but with a very different and sophisticated undercurrent. I don't care as much for Jimmy in the post WWII, angry turns, but this is a keeper.

Harvey (1950): Elwood P. Dowd (Stewart) has a serious problem (alcoholism) but this movie doesn't care and neither should you if you're going to find what's wonderful about it in there. It's not meant to be a statement film and I understand that we no longer find the subject fit for comedic exploitation, but if you can suspend modern sensibility for a while you're going to enjoy what was Stewart's favorite film.

No Highway in the Sky (1951): a small film that sees Stewart paired with Marlene Dietrich for the second time (the first in a goofy, but fun Destry Rides Again, omitted here). Theodore Honey (Stewart) is an engineer investigating an airplane crash. He concludes that stresses over a number of hours led to the crash and is on his way back to report when he realizes that he's riding in the same model plane--a plane that by his calculations will crash before its final leg. Marlene plays an actress who comes to believe him when no one else will. It's a really good way to spend an hour and a half. :D

Rear Window (1954): Jeff Jefferies (Stewart) has a broken leg, a beautiful girlfriend (Grace Kelly) and a neighbor who just might have murdered his wife. A terrific film that will have you squirming in your seat, literally. Hitchcock at his best and a fine performance by Raymond Burr as the potential heavy.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956): Dr. Ben McKenna (Stewart) and his wife (Doris Day) are on vacation in the middle east (yes, it was a long, long time ago) with their son. Travelling with a group of Europeans the two strike up conversation and friendly acquaintance until one of those stumbles into Stewart while dressed as an Arab and with a knife protruding from his back . What the man whispers sets in play the kidnapping of McKenna's son, the rush to foil a plot to kill a foreign diplomat on English soil and a whole lot of singing by Day.

Vertigo (1958): Yes it's a great film and yes he's terrific in it, but it's dark and a bit ugly and so is the character he plays. So I include it because I have to, not because I'm fond of it.

Anatomy of a Murder (1959): Stewart as a lawyer with a client who may or may not be guilty of cold blooded murder and a wife who is anything but innocent in her own right.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962): one of two on screen pairings with John Wayne and one of the best westerns ever made. We meet Stewart as a beloved U.S. Senator, returning to the small town that launched him and the funeral of another man (Wayne) whose sacrifice made it possible. The back story that unfolds in flashback is an homage to the dying breed of men who carved out the West for other men to profit by.

Shenandoah (1965): Stewart is the matriarch of a large Southern family swept up in the passion of a Civil War he'd just as soon ignore. The rest is lesson and loss and redemption. It's long and heavy handed and without Stewart would collapse upon itself in a second, but with him it becomes compelling and bitter sweet.

The Flight of the Phoenix (1965): Going out in style, Stewart plays a pilot whose plane has crashed in the dessert striving to keep his passengers alive and focused as they concoct an unlikely escape with water and will running out. First rate study in human nature and a compelling adventure.

The Rare Breed (1966): Stewart plays an aging cowboy who first protects a widow and her daughter who are bringing Vindicator, a hornless English bull, to the plains of the west to fulfill the dream of her late husband. It's a sweet hearted movie with Brian Keith as the romantic rival and oddly placed Scott. A sentimental favorite.

And yes, I neglected the biopics and a few other films that are solid but don't get under my skin. But if this list leads you to any other interesting discoveries I'm happy for it. And yes, I realize that by volume he compares favorably to Grant, but I'd argue that by sum Grant's movies are the better. It's a great horse race in any event.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Ronald Coleman: only appreciated by movie buffs, Coleman's prime was spent in silent film, but he managed to make a few gems in talking pictures that will leave you wishing he'd been born a decade later.

A Tale of Two Cities (1935): Coleman is at his best as the dissolute, cynical barrister Sydney Carton, who first defends then saves the love of a woman he himself comes to adore. And it is through this love and his eventual sacrifice that Carton finds his feet and heart in one of the best performances and stories going. Do yourself a favor.

Lost Horizon (1937): Robert Conway (Coleman) is a diplomat given the unenviable task of rescuing a small number of western citizens from the Chinese city of Baskul in 1935 as war sweeps across the continent. During their escape by plane a crash leaves the party stranded in the high mountains. They're rescued and taken to Shangri-La, a city where little is as it first seems, including the ages of its inhabitants. That should be enough of a teaser. :D

The Prisoner of Zenda (1937): Coleman does a masterfully engaging job of taking on dual roles. He enters as an Englishman on a fishing vacation to a scenic little kingdom with a prince (also Coleman) about to become a king. The prince in question is in need of maturation and the throne is in jeopardy from a few dastardly plotters (aren't they always?). When the king to be meets the visiting Englishman it turns out they have more in common than meets the eye, but what meets the eye is startling. A night of drinking leaves the prince incapacitated and the foreigner doppelganger obliged to play king for a day, that thanks to the previously mentioned dastardly plotters and a successful kidnapping could well turn into the role of a literal lifetime.

Random Harvest (1942): My wife's absolute favorite. Coleman is paired with Greer Garson, who steals the movie. The story is about a man who has been driven temporarily insane by the horrors he's met in the trenches of WWI. Institutionalized, he escapes into a nearby town amid the fanfare accompanying news of the wars end. There he is discovered and cared for by Garson. He mends and the two fall in love, have a child and start a life. Shortly thereafter Smithy (Coleman) leaves to find work in Liverpool and while there is struck by a taxi. He wakes with no memory of his recent life and returns to his wealthy family, having been given up for dead. How the two manage to find each other over years and heartbreak is the real story here and the ending is sublime. :D

I read that as The Prisoner of Zelda at first. :freak:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Too much information.
So just read the titles. Or watch MTV. :rolleyes: If a brief paragraph setting up complicated films strikes you as too much work you should probably try my One Sentence Movie Reviews.

So far the only movies I've seen is Rear Window and Wonderful Life. :eek:
Then you've missed some of the best (though those two are in my top five of his).

PureX

One of the problems with going into a book store is that there are just so many books! And they all look good by the title and the cover art. And many of them are. But for some reason, that only makes it more difficult for me to choose one, which would seem counter-intuitive. Whereas when the field of possibilities is narrowed down to a dozen or so, I can look over each one and easily decide on one or two.

That's all I'm saying.

Cary Grant: though his movie career began in 1932, with This is the Night, for me the year he became a movie star isn't 1937's Topper, but in the first film on my list, some two years later.

Bringing Up Baby (1938): a first rate madcap comedy pairing him with Katherine Hepburn. Sharply written and timed impeccably. One of his best comedies.

Gunga Din (1939): a grand adventure with great chemistry between Grant, as a strong armed but childish sergeant, and his two costars, Victor McLaglen and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. as they set about accidentally thwarting a Thuggee uprising.

His Girl Friday (1940): a film ahead of its time, filled with technique that would be borrowed by smart comedies for decades. Very, very funny. Grant plays a newspaper editor/owner with questionable ethics, as he seeks to derail his ex wife's remarriage and the execution of a confused death row inmate. Yes, I know it doesn't sound like a comedy. That's how brilliant it is. :D

The Philadelphia Story (1940): Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn. Flawed in execution, but memorable for the rare turn between Stewart and Grant. And very likable as a film.

Suspicion (1941): Grant plays a rogue in his first pairing with director Alfred Hitchcock. Joan Fontaine (who won an Oscar for her portrayal) is a mousy, somewhat sad, very rich young woman who is swept up by the obvious ne'er do well Grant. But following a few sharp turns that end in marriage she begins to wonder, not so much about whether he married her for her money, but whether he'll kill her to have it all to himself.

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944): another solid comedic performance that features wonderful supporting work by Peter Lorre and Raymond Massey. Mortimer Brewster (Grant) was reared by two aunts after a family tragedy, or so he believes. Mortimer, engaged to be married, is paying a visit to his aunts when he discovers a dead body in the window seat and the beginning of a set of family secrets that might upset his plans.

Notorious (1946): though it's more Ingrid Bergman's film, Grant's turn as a cynical spy with a soft spot for Bergman is central to the narrative. Claude Rains gives another strong performance as the Nazi conspirator Bergman is sent to seduce to infiltrate the Nazi ranks.

The Bishop's Wife (1947): Bishop Henry Brougham (David Niven) is a pastor who thinks he needs a new church. What he really needs is more pressing and important, to reconnect with his wife (a fine performance by Loretta Young) and child. Enter Dudley (Grant) an angel on a mission to answer the Bishop's prayer. A wonderful Christmas movie.

To Catch a Thief (1955): John Roby (Grant) is a world class jewel thief, retired and forgiven his trespasses for service rendered in the resistance during WWII. But someone is stealing from the rich and doing their best to point the hounds of Interpol in his direction. He soon realizes that the only way out of a future cell is to do what the police can't (see title). Grace Kelly is along for the ride and a cheesy bit of romance that works anyway.

An Affair to Remember (1957): the movie Nora Ephron was thinking about when she wrote Sleepless in Seattle. A fine romance with comedic elements. Kerr and Grant are instantly believable in a film whose conventions aren't particularly.

Indiscreet (1958): the second pairing of Bergman and Grant. This time he's an economist the U.N. wants to tell them their business and she's an accomplished actress. The two are introduced by mutual friends and it's love in short order, except that he claims to be married, if estranged. When she discovers the lie (he's not) a well plotted revenge is the entertaining order of the day.

North by Northwest (1959): arguably the best film Hitchcock made and Grant is terrific as the victim of mistaken identity used by his own government to catch a particularly nasty group of criminals. One of Grant's best roles.

Charade (1963): Grant plays a man who befriends a recently widowed Audrey Hepburn, whose murdered husband has somehow left her a small fortune that several former associates of said husband intend to have. What Grant is or isn't won't be entirely clear until the surprising ending.

Father Goose (1964): his last starring role before playing the semi lead a year later in his last and most forgettable role. It's a minor tale of a man who is hiding from life on an island when WWII comes calling. Shortly thereafter a group of school children and their governess are stranded with him and you can imagine the rest. It's light, but charming.
It would be hard to choose my favorite from your list, but his Alfred Hitchcock movies, Arsenic and Old Lace, Charade and Bringing Up Baby would probably top the list. I just can't pick one. You left out Walk, Don't Run which may have been one of his last movies. He gave an excellent performance, as usual.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It would be hard to choose my favorite from your list, but his Alfred Hitchcock movies, Charade and Bringing Up Baby would probably top the list. I just can't pick one. You left out Walk, Don't Run which may have been one of his last movies. He gave an excellent performance, as usual.
I noted it at the beginning of my bit on Father Goose, if not by name. My lists aren't exhaustive, only representing what I feel are the most compelling offerings. I've omitted a number of films by any given actor. :cheers:

Jimmy Stewart: Stewart had been in a number of films before he found his mark as Tony Kirby in Frank Capra's You Can't Take It With You and the powers that be realized the right vehicle for him. It's a likable enough film, but I'll go with his next Capra pairing for the beginning of Jimmy Stewart the movie star.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939): still the best movie ever written about political idealism taking on the inherent corruption of government and power. Stewart got his first and well deserved Oscar nomination for his portrayal of young Jefferson Smith, a fellow pushed into power following the death of a sitting senator. Meant to be a paper tiger, his idealistic efforts at helping the boys of the nation inadvertently sets him on a collision course with the dark underbelly of political power in his state. One of the best endings of any movie ever made. If you aren't cheering and grinning at the close you may need a defibrillator.

The Philadelphia Story (1940): A film most notable for its pairing him with Katherin Hepburn and Cary Grant. The film is flawed, vaguely misogynistic and contrived, but you won't care if you settle in to watch it. On the surface it's about a socialite (Hepburn) about to wed an up and coming man of the people. Her last/first husband, Dexter (Grant) is about to do his subtle best to play monkey wrench in those plans. Stewart arrives with Dexter to report on the tangled schemes of the rich and idle, but soon finds his class ideas turned on their ear.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946): one of the best Christmas movies ever made tells the tale of George Bailey (Stewart) a man who sacrifices to make the lives of others better and manages to keep a cheerful face over his personal frustrations until an accident turned conspiracy at the bank threatens to undo everything he's made. Driven to thoughts of suicide by the man who likely ran his father into an early grave and set him firmly on that path of self sacrifice, George wonders if the world (and George) would have been better off without him. The answer to that, with the help of a hapless angel, is cinematic gold.

Call Northside 777 (1948): A man is convicted and sentenced to life for the killing of a police officer during prohibition. Eleven years later his mother puts an add in a newspaper offering five thousand dollars to anyone with information on the true killer. This intrigues the paper's editor (Lee Jay Cobb) who sends a cynical reporter (Stewart) to find out the particulars. What he reluctantly discovers challenges the conclusion of the court and the powers that put a man behind bars for a crime he may not have committed.

Winchester '73 (1950): arguably the best of his psychologically complicated westerns, it follows the story of a man in search of the brother who killed their father. Along the way there are Indian uprisings and love triangles, the usual stuff of westerns, but with a very different and sophisticated undercurrent. I don't care as much for Jimmy in the post WWII, angry turns, but this is a keeper.

Harvey (1950): Elwood P. Dowd (Stewart) has a serious problem (alcoholism) but this movie doesn't care and neither should you if you're going to find what's wonderful about it in there. It's not meant to be a statement film and I understand that we no longer find the subject fit for comedic exploitation, but if you can suspend modern sensibility for a while you're going to enjoy what was Stewart's favorite film.

No Highway in the Sky (1951): a small film that sees Stewart paired with Marlene Dietrich for the second time (the first in a goofy, but fun Destry Rides Again, omitted here). Theodore Honey (Stewart) is an engineer investigating an airplane crash. He concludes that stresses over a number of hours led to the crash and is on his way back to report when he realizes that he's riding in the same model plane--a plane that by his calculations will crash before its final leg. Marlene plays an actress who comes to believe him when no one else will. It's a really good way to spend an hour and a half. :D

Rear Window (1954): Jeff Jefferies (Stewart) has a broken leg, a beautiful girlfriend (Grace Kelly) and a neighbor who just might have murdered his wife. A terrific film that will have you squirming in your seat, literally. Hitchcock at his best and a fine performance by Raymond Burr as the potential heavy.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956): Dr. Ben McKenna (Stewart) and his wife (Doris Day) are on vacation in the middle east (yes, it was a long, long time ago) with their son. Travelling with a group of Europeans the two strike up conversation and friendly acquaintance until one of those stumbles into Stewart while dressed as an Arab and with a knife protruding from his back . What the man whispers sets in play the kidnapping of McKenna's son, the rush to foil a plot to kill a foreign diplomat on English soil and a whole lot of singing by Day.

Vertigo (1958): Yes it's a great film and yes he's terrific in it, but it's dark and a bit ugly and so is the character he plays. So I include it because I have to, not because I'm fond of it.

Anatomy of a Murder (1959): Stewart as a lawyer with a client who may or may not be guilty of cold blooded murder and a wife who is anything but innocent in her own right.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962): one of two on screen pairings with John Wayne and one of the best westerns ever made. We meet Stewart as a beloved U.S. Senator, returning to the small town that launched him and the funeral of another man (Wayne) whose sacrifice made it possible. The back story that unfolds in flashback is an homage to the dying breed of men who carved out the West for other men to profit by.

Shenandoah (1965): Stewart is the matriarch of a large Southern family swept up in the passion of a Civil War he'd just as soon ignore. The rest is lesson and loss and redemption. It's long and heavy handed and without Stewart would collapse upon itself in a second, but with him it becomes compelling and bitter sweet.

The Flight of the Phoenix (1965): Going out in style, Stewart plays a pilot whose plane has crashed in the dessert striving to keep his passengers alive and focused as they concoct an unlikely escape with water and will running out. First rate study in human nature and a compelling adventure.

The Rare Breed (1966): Stewart plays an aging cowboy who first protects a widow and her daughter who are bringing Vindicator, a hornless English bull, to the plains of the west to fulfill the dream of her late husband. It's a sweet hearted movie with Brian Keith as the romantic rival and oddly placed Scott. A sentimental favorite.

And yes, I neglected the biopics and a few other films that are solid but don't get under my skin. But if this list leads you to any other interesting discoveries I'm happy for it. And yes, I realize that by volume he compares favorably to Grant, but I'd argue that by sum Grant's movies are the better. It's a great horse race in any event.
I believe I've seen all you listed. My favorites from your list are Rear Window, Winchester '73, Flight of the Phoenix and Vertigo. You left out Rope and The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Your list of Hollywood icons would not be complete without Jack Lemmon.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
One of the problems with going into a book store is that there are just so many books! And they all look good by the title and the cover art. And many of them are. But for some reason, that only makes it more difficult for me to choose one, which would seem counter-intuitive. Whereas when the field of possibilities is narrowed down to a dozen or so, I can look over each one and easily decide on one or two.

That's all I'm saying.
If I narrow it to the absolute best three of four then I may end up regurgitating lists that most are familiar with. No, I don't think fourteen titles, briefly set out, should tax anyone, especially since most people are going to be familiar with two or three and move on to the others.

That said, most of the stars will be closer to Coleman's count than Stewart's or Grant's.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
When you gonna do Val Kilmer?
2050...so let the suspense begin to build. :D

I'm also wondering about continuing up the chronological ladder with the men here and doing a second one on the women...if not a lot of really good actresses are going to die on the vine and you'll end up with Davis, Crawford and a handful of women drowning the rest out, at least in the Golden Age.

The Berean

Any list of film icons must start with these two gentlemen.

Charlie-Chaplin-9244327-2-402.jpg

buster-keaton-in-the-goat.gif

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Any list of film icons must start with these two gentlemen.

[Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton]

I think that's a first rate idea. Feel free to add your idea of their essentials. :thumb:

And Pure is considering adding the Australian contingent, which given their impact on cinema is another first rate idea and I hope he does that right here.

I'll add them to the index as you guys fill in those blanks.

The Berean

I think that's a first rate idea. Feel free to add your idea of their essentials. :thumb:

And Pure is considering adding the Australian contingent, which given their impact on cinema is another first rate idea and I hope he does that right here.

I'll add them to the index as you guys fill in those blanks.

I'll add some Chaplin/Keaton info later today if I have some time. :D I'll leave folks with some Buster Keaton brilliance!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'll add some Chaplin/Keaton info later today if I have some time. :D I'll leave folks with some Buster Keaton brilliance!
Thanks. :D You might even consider adding Harold Lloyd into the mix. Not quite on their level, but worth a look to say the least.