American Film Icons

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - a perfect polished counterpoint to Steve Martin's crass american

and

Children of Men - definitely a must-see

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Michael Caine deserves his notice among the other Icons. American he might not be, but an Icon he most definitely is. He started in support, then quickly became another well received British import and leading man. And unlike some, he mostly played his age and found vehicles that didn't require him to abuse the suspending of disbelief to enjoy. A few gems then, from an able player.

1. Zulu (1964) was his introduction to American audiences. It's based on the true story of the most decorated regiment in the history of the British army to that point as it fights for survival amid the Zulu uprisings of 1879. Caine plays a young lieutenant who finds himself under the command of an army engineer, facing an army of 4,000 approaching Zulus with a compliment (riddled with the wounded) of some 150 men. This Alamo has a happier ending for the besieged and is a wonderful film that manages to celebrate both sides of the conflict as gallant and heroic men battling in the name of their respective beliefs. Favorite moment: toward the end as both sides trade battle songs then clash mightily for the final time.

2. The Ipcress File came a year later and saw Caine in the role of a spy, if one with a checkered past and a sardonic eye. It's a shade of the Manchurian Candidate, but holds its own and Caine is believably flawed, cynical and capable in the role. Though he'd revisit the role to much success, this is the best of that particular genre.

3. Alfie (1966) The highest praise I can heap upon this film is that while I didn't like it and I don't much like the character Caine portrays, he manages to make the turn with a remarkably subtle and complicated performance that keeps me watching anyway. A much deserved Oscar nomination followed.

4. Get Carter (1971) Caine is back in more familiar waters as a man both tormented and driven by demons we see flashing to the surface in violent turns. One of the best gangster movies of any decade.

5. The Man Who Would be King (1975) A rousing yarn with lots of scene chewing by two excellent actors (Caine and the oft underrated Sean Connery) who give Kipling a more nuanced treatment of narrative than than prior films, like Gunga Din. Pathos? Sure, but still a great adventure.

A number of entertaining roles follow, from the comedic (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Second Hand Lions, Hannah and...) to the more dramatic (The Eagle has Landed, The Quiet American, A Bridge Too Far) and a hand in the only decent super hero movies DC has managed to hatch. All in all a man of many splendid parts.