1 of 5 for GT to Debate (The entire book of Galatians)

ClimateSanity

I am not making unwarranted assumptions. Jesus did not need to bring up the eye for eye law when he wanted to speak to us about not sinning with our eye!

Your unwarranted assumption was that the law of retaliation was written to individuals. I never said a thing about sinning with the eye. If you want to change the subject, start a new thread.

God's Truth

It was written to Moses concerning the penalty for certain crimes. If a person took someoned eye by violence . The offenders eye was taken as punishment. It never spoke to Individuals. It never said " if someone takes your eye, feel free to take theirs in return.

Jesus was teaching the new law of not paying back like for like. No more eye for eye, tooth for tooth, foot for foot.

Jesus said if someone hits you on your cheek, turn your other cheek---not hit them back on their cheek.

ClimateSanity

Jesus was teaching the new law of not paying back like for like. No more eye for eye, tooth for tooth, foot for foot.

Jesus said if someone hits you on your cheek, turn your other cheek---not hit them back on their cheek.

Again, there NEVER WAS ANY LAW that told any individual to take an eye for an eye or a tooth for a tooth. NO LAW. UNDERSTAND?????? there was a common teaching in Jesus day that said that. A teaching by evil teachers IS NOT A LAW!!!! Jesus did not change one single law.....not one not or tittle.

God's Truth

Again, there NEVER WAS ANY LAW that told any individual to take an eye for an eye or a tooth for a tooth. NO LAW. UNDERSTAND?????? there was a common teaching in Jesus day that said that. A teaching by evil teachers IS NOT A LAW!!!! Jesus did not change one single law.....not one not or tittle.

You are denying the scriptures that say eye for an eye, etc.

csuguy

Because the subject came up, I'd like to share what Paul considers to be the fulfillment of the Law:

Romans 13:8-10 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,”[a] and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Also, he does not think that because Christ fulfilled the Law that therefore we don't need to worry about it. For instance, though the Law does not save us, he states this:

Romans 3:27-31 Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. Because of what law? The law that requires works? No, because of the law that requires faith. 28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law. 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30 since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. 31 Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.​

We see in other places how he emphasizes the importance of Gods Law in his - and our - lives as Christians:

Romans 7:21-25 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature[d] a slave to the law of sin.​

Here's one of my favorite chapters concerning the Law, which is as important today for us as it ever was. Life and death are set before us, it is up for us to decide - via our actions - what lies in store for us.

Duet 31:11-20 Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. 12 It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, “Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 14 No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.

15 See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. 16 For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.

17 But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them, 18 I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed. You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess.

19 This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.​

csuguy

Jesus did not invent one new law. He corrected misunderstandings and misapplications of the mosaic law.

John 13:34-35 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Jesus raised the bar. For while the OT commanded you to love your neighbor as yourself - Jesus commanded that we love others as he has loved us. That means going above and beyond the old commandment by telling you to become a servant, like Jesus, giving your life for your fellow man and for God.

ClimateSanity

John 13:34-35 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Jesus raised the bar. For while the OT commanded you to love your neighbor as yourself - Jesus commanded that we love others as he has loved us. That means going above and beyond the old commandment by telling you to become a servant, like Jesus, giving your life for your fellow man and for God.

No new law. He gave the true meaning of the law.

Jamie Gigliotti

Paul jumps in after his core greeting and expresses anxiety that Galatia is turning away from Jesus and to a false Good News.

He then emphasizes that there is only one Gospel or Good News that was Jesus the Savior of mankind's WORK and OBEDIENCE to the Father.

Paul explains that men and wicked angels are trying to pervert the Good News with lies and extends that doing so will bring the Curse of the Mosaic law upon them .... Or (As Daqq added, essentially considered an Abomination)

Curse is a reference to all Mosaic law.(Daqq has forced me to reveal the full hand of cards. It goes even beyond just the Law. To the Jews, the Pentateuch or Torah is Moses.)

Deuteronomy 31:

25*That Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the Lord, saying,
26*Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.
27*For I know thy rebellion, and thy stiff neck: behold, while I am yet alive with you this day, ye have been rebellious against the Lord; and how much more after my death?

Deuteronomy 28:

15*But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:

A side note is that the curses that follow parallel the outpouring of God's wrath in Revelation, and immediate things that have already occurred.

Paul then EMPHASIZES that the Curse of the Law is for ALL who Distort the TRUTH of the Gospel. Because the Law brings a curse, it is clear that the Law of OBEDIENCE is already being written as being in diametric opposition to the Gospel of FAITH.

Paul then states that He is not concerned with the approval of his Brothers of Judaism or the government or the BoC. Above all, Paul had previously been a law Obedient Jew, and commissioned by Judaism and the Government of Rome to kill the message of the Way.

When Paul calls himself a slave to Christ, he is referring to the imprisonment, judgment and absolute threat of torture and death that is threatening the BoC for delivering the blasphemous (In the eyes of the Proud, Religious, power hungry and hateful) message of the Gospel that all people are Loved by the Supreme Creator equally, and that simple Faith in this brings eternal life! The Gospel took power away from Man Made Religious Structure and Man Made Government and Even Fallen Angels Simultaneously. The days of a human being or Angel standing as the authority of God were failing. The message of the Cross made all equal in the eyes of Jesus/God. Nobody with any sense of personal pride or desire to rule wanted the Gospel to survive.

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary

It's not obedience to Christ and His Spirit through faith, (trust in Christ) that Paul opposed. He opposed the prideful attempt to follow the Torah apart from faith in Christ.

".... If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ." ( Galatians 1:10 )