Where Does It Say In The Bible That You Go Directly To Heaven When You Die?

genuineoriginal

Jesus went to prison and preached to spirits, i.e. people without their bodies.
Those were fallen angels, demons, unclean spirits, not people.

Jude 6
6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.​

Jesus didn't preach the gospel to demons so that they could obey.
Nothing in the verse states that Jesus preached the gospel.

1 Peter 3:19-20
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.​

You left out the scripture that says he preached the gospel.
Jesus isn’t going to preach the gospel that saves to evil spirits.
If you think there is a scripture that states that Jesus went to prison and preached the gospel to spirits, please find it and post it.

God's Truth

WHAT did he preach?
OPTION #1: Jesus preached a message of forgiveness. If Jesus was preaching through Noah to the people of his day, then this could refer to a message of forgiveness and repentance.

??????

Doing right was preached BY NOAH in those times.

OPTION #2: Jesus preached a message of judgment or victory over Satan. If Jesus was preaching after his resurrection to demons, then this would be a message of victory over Satan—not forgiveness—because the Bible doesn’t teach demon-salvation

How dumb. How do you ever get that Jesus preached the message to demons?

(Heb. 2:16). Advocates of this view note that Jesus merely “went and made proclamation” (v.19). Peter uses the Greek word kēryssō here for “proclamation,” rather than the typical term euangelizō—used for gospel preaching (as in 4:6). Since this doesn’t explicitly say what type of proclamation was made, it’s equally possible that this was a proclamation of judgment over the demonic realm (Col. 2:15).
Conclusion
Because this is such an unclear passage, we shouldn’t build any serious doctrines on it. It is a hermeneutical rule that we should interpret the unclear in light of the clear.

The scriptures are clear, and you did a lousy job of trying to throw people off of the truth.

God's Truth

If you think there is a scripture that states that Jesus went to prison and preached the gospel to spirits, please find it and post it.

6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

genuineoriginal

That didn't answer my question.
You either did not understand the answer or you did not like the answer, but the verse did answer your question.

I asked you what kind of body the saints will have on at the time when they are raised from the dead:

What kind of bodies will the saints who will have previously died physically be in just prior to when the following happens?:

"For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air" (1 Thess.4:16-17).​

What kind of body will the saints be in prior to the time when they are raised first?
Maybe you will be able to understand these verses:

Genesis 3:19
19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.​

Psalm 104:29
29 Thou hidest thy face, they are troubled: thou takest away their breath (spirit), they die, and return to their dust.​

Ecclesiastes 3:20
20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.​

Ecclesiastes 12:7
7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit (breath) shall return unto God who gave it.​

genuineoriginal

6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.
People without the gospel are "dead" in their sins.

Ephesians 2:1
1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;​

The gospel was preached to living people that were "dead" in their sins so they could be quickened and live in the spirit.

1 Peter 4:3-6
3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:
4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:
5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.​

These people that are "dead" in their sins and have heard the gospel are being given the opportunity to live in the spirit as Christians.

Galatians 5:25
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.​

God's Truth

People without the gospel are "dead" in their sins.

Jesus preached the gospel in prison/hell.

That is what the scriptures say.

Ephesians 2:1
1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Being dead in their sins are all the Gentiles who did not do the purification works.

Colossians 2:13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,

That is about the Gentiles who did not do the purification works and get circumcised and offer animals to sacrifice.

The gospel was preached to living people that were "dead" in their sins so they could be quickened and live in the spirit.

So Jesus died on the cross and went to prison/hell and preached the gospel to those who had died a long time ago.

1 Peter 4:3-6
3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:
4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:
5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
Jesus went to prison/hell and preached the gospel there.
Jesus had to fill the whole universe.

These people that are "dead" in their sins and have heard the gospel are being given the opportunity to live in the spirit as Christians.

Galatians 5:25
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

So then, you are denying Jesus went to hell? Yes or no.

genuineoriginal

Jesus preached the gospel in prison/hell.

That is what the scriptures say.
That is not found in any of the dozens of translations that I have looked at.

Being dead in their sins are all the Gentiles
If I understand what you are claiming, you are saying that the passage is stating that the Gospel was preached to Gentiles when it says "the gospel preached also to them that are dead" in the verse after Peter says God will "judge the quick and the dead."
That matches the passage in Acts where Peter also used the phrase "judge the quick and the dead" when he was first giving the gospel to a Gentile.
I had not considered that interpretation, thank you for providing it.

Jesus died on the cross and went to prison/hell and preached the gospel to those who had died a long time ago.
Jesus went to prison/hell and preached the gospel there.
The scriptures do not say that, you are adding to the scriptures to reach that conclusion.

So then, you are denying Jesus went to hell? Yes or no.
The Roman Catholics added a phrase stating that Jesus "descended into hell" to the Apostles’ Creed in 650 CE.
It is not a Biblical concept.

God's Truth

If I understand what you are claiming, you are saying that the passage is stating that the Gospel was preached to Gentiles when it says "the gospel preached also to them that are dead" in the verse after Peter says God will "judge the quick and the dead."
That matches the passage in Acts where Peter also used the phrase "judge the quick and the dead" when he was first giving the gospel to a Gentile.
I had not considered that interpretation, thank you for providing it.

I was proving that the dead in sin are the Gentiles who did not take care of their sin as God commanded by the use of the purification works.

I am glad that I gave you a scripture but it does not mean Jesus did not go to prison/hell.

The scriptures do not say that, you are adding to the scriptures to reach that conclusion.

You are not speaking the truth. The scriptures say so plainly.

The Roman Catholics added a phrase stating that Jesus "descended into hell" to the Apostles’ Creed in 650 CE.
It is not a Biblical concept.

I am not talking about the Catholics. I am talking about the scriptures.

genuineoriginal

The scriptures say so plainly.
The scriptures do not say that Jesus went to hell to preach the gospel.
The only way to imagine that the scriptures say that is to distort the words of the scripture through a preconceived idea.

I am not talking about the Catholics. I am talking about the scriptures.
But you are not talking about what the scriptures actually states, you are parroting a concept that entered Christianity in 650 CE through the Catholic church's modification of the Apostle's Creed.

God's Truth

The scriptures do not say that Jesus went to hell to preach the gospel.
The only way to imagine that the scriptures say that is to distort the words of the scripture through a preconceived idea.

But you are not talking about what the scriptures actually states, you are parroting a concept that entered Christianity in 650 CE through the Catholic church's modification of the Apostle's Creed.

None of what you said it true.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits—

way 2 go

There is a detailed analysis in this article of whether the comma can go in front of "today" in the verse. I am posting only the final paragraph because it is so long:
The Significance of a Comma: An Analysis of Luke 23:43
On the other hand, if we read “today” with the preceding verb, Jesus’ statement may indeed sound somewhat pleonastic in modern, Western languages, but this pleonasm becomes fully acceptable if understood as an idiomatic way to emphasize the significance of the announcement: “Truly, I tell you today . . .” Finally, there is also enough evidence that this way of understanding the passage is neither new nor illegitimate, as this shows exactly how important segments of the church understood it, even in a time when the belief on the immortality of the soul had already become predominant in Christianity. What the thief asked Jesus was to be remembered in His kingdom (Luke 23:42), and this is exactly what Jesus promised him, thus the dying man received peace and comfort. This is the great promise of the gospel—to be with Jesus forever (John 14:1–3; 1 Thess. 4:16, 17; Rev. 21:1–4).
no version I have found says Truly, I tell you today

from 2nd paragraph
The whole problem hangs on a single comma, most likely absent from Luke’s original manuscript.

Conjecture.

the rest was :blabla:

truth is much shorter

Luk 23:43 And Jesus said to him, Truly I say to you, Today you shall be with Me in Paradise.

and btw:
this phrase usually has the comma in the same place or not at all.
Verily I say unto thee,
Truly I say to you,
I say to you,

way 2 go

This is certainly a strong verse for a spiritual presence with the Lord. But where was Jesus "today", and what happened afterward? I'm not sure. Was He in a compartment of Hades preaching to the souls in prison? He wasn't ascended yet for another 40+ days. So I'm not sure how far we can take this verse to say that the thief was in heaven with Jesus.
the criminal is with God

Mat 3:16 And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him;
Mat 3:17 and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”

where was God ?

Jerry Shugart

You either did not understand the answer or you did not like the answer, but the verse did answer your question.

Maybe you will be able to understand these verses:

Genesis 3:19
19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.​

Psalm 104:29
29 Thou hidest thy face, they are troubled: thou takest away their breath (spirit), they die, and return to their dust.​

Ecclesiastes 3:20
20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.​

Ecclesiastes 12:7
7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit (breath) shall return unto God who gave it.​

So before the dead saints are raised from the dead they will have a body of dirt?

How long did it take you to figure that out?

genuineoriginal

So before the dead saints are raised from the dead they will have a body of dirt?
Before the dead saints are raised from the dead they will not have any body, because the body they had will have returned to the dust it was made from.
Because they will not have any body, they will have no soul.
When people they die, they are no more, they do not exist, they are gone.
The only thing left of the dead saints before the resurrection will be the dust that used to be a body and the life force that returned to God upon their death.
The dead saints will have a newly recreated soul with a new immortal body in the resurrection.
How long did it take you to figure that out?
How long will it take you to accept it?

Derf

Before the dead saints are raised from the dead they will not have any body, because the body they had will have returned to the dust it was made from.
Because they will not have any body, they will have no soul.
When people they die, they are no more, they do not exist, they are gone.
The only thing left of the dead saints before the resurrection will be the dust that used to be a body and the life force that returned to God upon their death.
The dead saints will have a newly recreated soul with a new immortal body in the resurrection.

I'm not sure I'm quite as content as you are to believe that there is nothing left of the person that dies. What that thing is that is left is up for some discussion.

Here's a suggestion--memory. We can keep a computer "alive" by switching hard drives. The rest of the machine (the "body") can be completely replaced (or "upgraded", perhaps?), and the power source (spirit?) can be removed and replaced as needed. I'd probably put the operating system in the same category as the hardware components.

But the whole purpose of the computer is the stuff that it was meant to create or manipulate or hold on to, such as spreadsheets of business transactions or pictures or contact information, etc.

When we get a new computer, we transfer all of that stuff to the new one.

I don't know how God would retain that memory, but I can certainly imagine He has a way to do it, even if only in His mind.

If the body that is resurrected has some connection to the body that died, then there would also be a memory of that, I suppose. DNA is one proposed memory device for that part of it. So even if a body has been incinerated, God would be able to reproduce it out of incorruptible materials. That would make most resurrected bodies different from Jesus' resurrected body--His did not undergo corruption, and that might be why He still retained His scars of the crucifixion.

When we are all "changed in the twinkling of an eye", I can imagine that whatever defects there might be in our physical bodies (loss of limbs, genetic diseases, acne, whatever) could be corrected, although the passage about it being better to enter into the kingdom without eye or hand is intriguing. (Mat 5:29-30)