What is the Gospel?

Sonnet

Luke 22:19-21
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table.”

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
None of this deals with the substance of what I wrote - it's just an ad hominem.

There was no substance in what you wrote.
It just continues to be the same tired excuses for not coming to the knowledge of the truth.

Your purpose is to find a loophole to justify disbelief instead of allowing God to justify you by Jesus' blood.

Jesus' blood is at the core of the gospel.
For those who are saved it is the power of God unto salvation and life.
For those who hated Him it was desirable to satiate their thirst for His death.

Ezek 33:5KJV, Rom 1:16KJV

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Ephesians 5:25 (KJV)
He gave Himself for the Church, who are His Body, and who are the Elect.
Catechism of the Catholic Church:
605 At the end of the parable of the lost sheep Jesus recalled that God's love excludes no one: "So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish."410 He affirms that he came "to give his life as a ransom for many"; this last term is not restrictive, but contrasts the whole of humanity with the unique person of the redeemer who hands himself over to save us.411 The Church, following the apostles, teaches that Christ died for all men without exception: "There is not, never has been, and never will be a single human being for whom Christ did not suffer."412

John 3:14-16, 1:29, 1 John 2:2, Titus 2:11, Hebrews 2:9, 1 Timothy 2:3-6, 1 Timothy 1:15.

The are no scriptures that explicitly say the opposite.
So?

glorydaz

Jesus's crucifixion made salvation for all possible

Yes, the Gift is offered to all men. Only those who accept it are saved, and only those who accept it are forgiven.

Paul explicitly calls vv.3ff the Gospel. You are suggesting that the Gospel Paul outlines should not be so preached if unbelievers are present. Paul does no such thing.

No one has said that. You are the one who keeps saying it.

The Gospel is preached to all, but forgiveness of sins belongs solely to those who believe.

Only believers can say "our sins" are forgiven. Romans 14:23KJV

2 Thess. 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, 8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: 9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; 10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.​

Derf

You are suggesting that the single language became many over a long period of time through the scattering of people rather God doing so in an instant?

7Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.” 8So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9That is why it was called Babel —because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.
No, I'm suggesting that the process of languages getting confused is a normal process (probably a type of "language entropy", if you will), that naturally happens over time, and it happened quickly at the Tower of Babel, just like wine ages over time, but Jesus managed it quickly. These are both miracles of time (and material in the water-to-wine case). The miracle of Pentecost is a reversing of the effects at Babel, with the intent that we can re-unify under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Such reunification combined with language reconciliation seem to be the opposite of the Tower of Babel story.

It is true - even if one saw what looked like a miracle, scepticism would still be the right attitude. It would have been good to have been there and been an eye witness.
Skepticism of miracles has its place, but it can be abused, with very serious repercussions:

24 But when the Pharisees heard [it], they said, This [fellow] doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils. ... 31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy [against] the [Holy] Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the [world] to come. [Mat 12:24, 31-32 KJV]

I sense some of this attitude in you, that you are ok with Jesus when He meets with your approval, but are not willing to let the Holy Spirit tell you the truth about what His sacrifice meant for you (and in rejecting it, it won't mean that for you!). I pray you won't continue in such a state.

That is the import of John 3:14-16.
Indeed, and the efficacy was apparent only in those who looked. THE BRAZEN SNAKE WAS NOT "FOR" THOSE WHO DIDN'T LOOK ON IT. If you don't want to perish, you better look to the one that has been lifted up for you not to perish.

This conflict you see (and that is so hotly debated between different groups of Christians) might easily be viewed as one of those language dispersal acts, similar to Babel. Consider that after God brought the believers together with a unity of languages, they seemed unwilling to then go out to the nations (Gentiles). The effectiveness of the church was possibly being stifled. In that case God used persecution (as He often seems to do) to spread the believers out to the surrounding areas (see Acts 8:3-4), like Samaria (to reach the Samaritans), toward Gaza (to reach the Ethiopians through the eunuch), to places like Joppa (to reach the Gentile Cornelius), etc.

It's a shame, I do admit, that Christians are not always willing to discomfit themselves to break away from a fellowship they like to start one that might be beneficial to others, but is it possible that God allows such disagreements to occur in order to accomplish His desire to reach more people?

If so, wouldn't the miscommunication of such an issue as you bring up be a reasonable way for some believers to break away from some others in order to reach out for new converts?

And isn't it so very like the Tower of Babel story that some Christians would say that Christ only died for for those that believe, while others say Christ's death only benefits those that believe? And then they divide over it? But not to ill of the church, rather to benefit. I'm not advocating disunity here. But I can see that in the church, just like in Babel, it might be necessary to move people along to where they need to be.

If someone has died for me then I'm a extremely interested to know why. If someone has died for some but excluded others then I wonder about the exclusion - especially when it's got nothing to do with being good or bad.
What about if someone died for you, but you don't receive any benefit for it? Would that bother you? What if you don't receive any benefit from it because you refuse to do so after being told about it? Would that bother you? And what if, after you had refused to receive any benefit from it, someone told you it wasn't for you after all. Would that bother you less, or more, than someone who says Jesus only died for some, and we don't know who they are, so please come and make sure you are one that He died for?

Which language works better for you? If Pentecost gives us any clue, there may be various ways to say the same thing, and some people will hear it one way ("in their own tongue") and others another way. But despite that, there were still some that rejected the gospel they heard in their own tongues. Don't be like them.

I think those that say Christ did not die for all are eviscerating what I perceive as the power of the Gospel (assuming its truth).
What if they did not say it, but still believed it? Many Calvinists don't promote the preaching of that doctrine (in fact the Westminster Confession discourages it) to unbelievers. Yet, it is easily found in this day of information exchange--they aren't trying to hide it.

I'd say such a church was not truly Christian.
What, then, is your solution for those of us that are saying it the "correct" way? What action should we take to force the "incorrect" believers into submission? And what if the "incorrect" believers are in the majority? would they not then be able to force the "correct" believers out? Then what kind of unity would the church have? A unity in error? Disagreement is not the same as disunity.

I don't see much unity in the Church. I could be wrong.
I think you are wrong. And you and your thread are the best example I can offer. There are believers on both sides of the fence responding to your thread, that are telling you that while the issue is one we care deeply about, and argue fiercely about, it is not one we think is bad enough for us to break away from each other over (well, most of us).

Instead, you, one that is NOT united with believers, are trying to tell us that we NEED to divide over this. Are you not, then, an agent of disunity while you say you are questioning the unity of the church? If you want to argue about this, come into the church and argue. Don't throw stones at us from outside.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Truth in the sense of the logic of the words. I don't know it as truth.
Then you do not understand truth, nor logic, at all.

You have declared the truth you claim is logically evident. You go on to reject that which you claim. What is the matter with you? :idunno:

Of course, this cognitive dissonance is expected, as the truth and the logic you are using is incorrect. :AMR:

Lastly, that lifted up serpent bit has been asked and answered. It is a dead letter now. You just do not like the answer...your "logic" is functioning awry.

AMR

Sonnet

Then you do not understand truth, nor logic, at all.

You have declared the truth you claim is logically evident. You go on to reject that which you claim. What is the matter with you? :idunno:

Obviously I was talking about what the words logically mean.

Lastly, that lifted up serpent bit has been asked and answered. It is a dead letter now. You just do not like the answer...your "logic" is functioning awry.

AMR

I answered (#640). I am not aware of any response. It's possible I missed it - though I did look.

Last edited:

Lon

I appreciate your post Lon.
:up:

If I were to 'simply quote scripture' then I might quote 1 Corinthians 15:11. No reader of the simplicity of such words would consider for one moment that Jesus did not die for all.
Some will have a hard time with that. For me, how you see and understand scripture is sufficient. We may do some of this wrong, but God is Sovereign. I'm convinced He can right wrongs.

This thread isn't about my salvation.
As you know for me and others, there is disagreement over this point. It is, in fact, about your, mine, and all other's Salvation and ultimately His Salvation by import and discussion. I don't believe it 'can' be otherwise. As far as you've encountered, you know this to be true. This thread IS about your Salvation as well. -Lon

Sonnet

What are you doing? Is your beef with Calvinists, or with all non-universalists?

I am looking for truth Nihilo. Jesus appears to have a semblance of it but it's difficult to accept all of Scripture - and this thread is but one aspect of such perceived difficulties.

I did offer to shut down the thread but nobody said they wanted me to.

Sonnet

:up:

Some will have a hard time with that. For me, how you see and understand scripture is sufficient. We may do some of this wrong, but God is Sovereign. I'm convinced He can right wrongs.

As you know for me and others, there is disagreement over this point. It is, in fact, about your, mine, and all other's Salvation and ultimately His Salvation by import and discussion. I don't believe it 'can' be otherwise. As far as you've encountered, you know this to be true. This thread IS about your Salvation as well. -Lon

Ok Lon.

Reactions: Lon

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Will you please define what you believe sin is?
It's hard to define it objectively if there is no God but perhaps pleasing one's self at another's expense might suffice.
What if there's consent?
If God does exist then it's breaking His laws I guess.
He authorizes the teaching office of His Church, to teach infallibly on the matter of morals. It is not reason that does it, and it is not consent that does it, but the Church, who defines what is sin.

glorydaz

What if there's consent?
He authorizes the teaching office of His Church, to teach infallibly on the matter of morals. It is not reason that does it, and it is not consent that does it, but the Church, who defines what is sin.

Actually, it's the Bible that defines all things for the "church".

Too often, the "Church" strays away or adds to what is written in Scripture.

The SOURCE for all Truth is the Holy Scripture.

Sonnet

What if there's consent?

Difficult to say - I guess it would depend.

I don't trust that men can do so infallibly.