What is the appropriate level of giving for retired people?

dcon

BANNED
Banned
I understand this is the Jewish Law.

Have you read Acts 15? Believers of Gentile origin are not under the Jewish Law.

Abraham did not give a tithe of his goods, but of what he took in battle — the goods of others. Then he returned the 90% of the stolen goods.

By the way, oatmeal, I have always given more than 10%. It just does not appear to me that there is scriptural evidence for 10% being the minimum.
You are correct. Jewish law does not apply to people who are Christians. Insisting that people follow what you believe is tantamount to forcing you to do so.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Right Divider

Body part
Matthew 22:37 This commandment was not in the Law of Moses specifically, yet Jesus said it was the greatest. How much more simple is it to love God completely, than to follow a set of laws that come to the same conclusion?
Deut 6:5 (AKJV/PCE)
(6:5) And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Matt 22:37 (AKJV/PCE)
(22:37) Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Jesus was not telling them something new.

It seems that the OP is looking for a magic formula instead of understanding grace giving.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
Deut 6:5 (AKJV/PCE)
(6:5) And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Matt 22:37 (AKJV/PCE)
(22:37) Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Jesus was not telling them something new.

It seems that the OP is looking for a magic formula instead of understanding grace giving.
Giving from the heart; a magic formula? That's a new one! Could it possibly be that you've been told time after time that tithing is the only way to give, that you won't accept any other option?

Right Divider

Body part
Giving from the heart; a magic formula? That's a new one! Could it possibly be that you've been told time after time that tithing is the only way to give, that you won't accept any other option?
I never said "giving from the heart is a magic formula", among your other false accusations.

Robert Pate

Banned
I understand that believers of Gentile origin are not under the Law and we are not living in a theocracy. Therefore the Old Testament laws have application at most as historical guidance.

Of course we are to give as God has prospered us, and we are to give cheerfully.

In this thread, I am hoping to solicit comments on practical ways to determine appropriate giving levels.

I have my own ideas on the topic, and I am seeking input. I don’t think there is one right answer, other than to do as the Lord leads you.

Comments?

What are you giving to? If you are giving to an organized church that has no Gospel or very little Gospel, it is like stuffing money down a rat hole.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
I never said "giving from the heart is a magic formula", among your other false accusations.
Because I quote from the Bible, they're false accusations? I don't argue my beliefs with anyone, especially someone who is rude and impolite. Neither will I share my beliefs with a person who professes to be a Christian but definitely is lacking. I tried to show respect for you and your beliefs and that turned out to be my mistake. In the future, if you see my posts, please do not reply, and I'll do the same. Thank you.

Right Divider

Body part

Because I quote from the Bible, they're false accusations? I don't argue my beliefs with anyone, especially someone who is rude and impolite. Neither will I share my beliefs with a person who professes to be a Christian but definitely is lacking. I tried to show respect for you and your beliefs and that turned out to be my mistake. In the future, if you see my posts, please do not reply, and I'll do the same. Thank you.
There were NO Bible quotes in the post that contained FALSE accusations.

Go look in a mirror. Christians don't make FALSE accusations.

I will reply to any post that I choose.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
There were NO Bible quotes in the post that contained FALSE accusations.

Go look in a mirror. Christians don't make FALSE accusations.

I will reply to any post that I choose.
True Christians are never rude or accusatory. You have failed the test. Accept it.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
You falsely accused me, therefore you are not a true Christian.
I went back and reviewed my posts to you and there are none where I've accused you of anything. If I said something and you took it that way, YOU have the problem. Deal with it!

Right Divider

Body part

I went back and reviewed my posts to you and there are none where I've accused you of anything. If I said something and you took it that way, YOU have the problem. Deal with it!

That is false accusation no matter how you try to say that it's not.

2003cobra

You are correct. Jewish law does not apply to people who are Christians. Insisting that people follow what you believe is tantamount to forcing you to do so.

So how should the couple described in post 3 decide how much to give?

dcon

BANNED
Banned
So how should the couple described in post 3 decide how much to give?
There is no way that I can say how much they SHOULD give. It SHOULD be their personal decision, and no one else's business. Their income is THEIR business alone. The widow whom Jesus spoke of, gave ALL her means of living, not just a percentage. Is it possible that the religions that require a tithe, are interested in mainly the money? Could they survive if donations came only from their members hearts?

2003cobra

There is no way that I can say how much they SHOULD give. It SHOULD be their personal decision, and no one else's business. Their income is THEIR business alone. The widow whom Jesus spoke of, gave ALL her means of living, not just a percentage. Is it possible that the religions that require a tithe, are interested in mainly the money? Could they survive if donations came only from their members hearts?

I know you can’t specify what is appropriate, but I would like your non-binding opinion.

In light of this passage from 1 Timothy 6:
As for those who in the present age are rich, command them not to be haughty, or to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but rather on God who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 They are to do good, to be rich in good works, generous, and ready to share, 19 thus storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of the life that really is life.

What do you recommend that they consider in their giving?

Isn’t the increase in net worth a relevant factor?

dcon

BANNED
Banned
I know you can’t specify what is appropriate, but I would like your non-binding opinion.

In light of this passage from 1 Timothy 6:
As for those who in the present age are rich, command them not to be haughty, or to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but rather on God who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 They are to do good, to be rich in good works, generous, and ready to share, 19 thus storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of the life that really is life.

What do you recommend that they consider in their giving?

Isn’t the increase in net worth a relevant factor?
One should consider their own circumstances in deciding. If their monetary increase has been set aside for retirement, paying off their house, helping children or grandchildren, etc, these are factors they have to consider. It should never be left to the church or it's leaders to decide what amount is appropriate. This is what comes from the Bible. (If you would like me to provide scriptural proof, I can do so). In our organization, there is never a set, or even a suggested amount, yet all the bills get paid, repairs are made, and we still have money left over. 2 Corinthians 8 and in particular, verse 14 explains how we feel about contributions. As a side point, our contribution boxes are not even in a location where others can see what an individual drops in, and unless one contributes by check, no one is the wiser. Even then it's no one's business who that check belonged to. A running total is documented at the end of each meeting by two qualified men and deposited into our congregation bank account.