What does John 14:21 mean?

dahelmang

Jesus fulfilled the Law and the Prophets.

What do you mean by the law can be satisfied? What do you mean by saying that the law can be satisfied on our behalf? Not by us. But what does it mean and is it Biblical? It sounds like a doctrine which words are not found in scripture.
Jesus fulfilled the law, it's purpose is complete. If you look at the sermon on the mount, no one is holy enough to obey the law completely. That is the message of the gospel, that Jesus died in our place, to satisfy the law. His righteousness is given to us. It is through faith, not the law that we are saved.
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.
Romans 5:1*-‬2 NIV
I hope I am making sense...

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jesus fulfilled the law, it's purpose is complete. If you look at the sermon on the mount, no one is holy enough to obey the law completely. That is the message of the gospel, that Jesus died in our place, to satisfy the law. His righteousness is given to us. It is through faith, not the law that we are saved.
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.
Romans 5:1*-‬2 NIV
I hope I am making sense...

I know that God wants me to obey His Commandments. This is observance of the Law. God does not want anyone to sin. God does not want anyone to transgress the law. Sin is transgression of the law.

Jesus came to fulfill the Law and the Prophets. He did not come to abolish them.

Salvation is by faith, not the Law.

Shalom.

Jacob

dahelmang

I know that God wants me to obey His Commandments. This is observance of the Law. God does not want anyone to sin. God does not want anyone to transgress the law. Sin is transgression of the law.

Jesus came to fulfill the Law and the Prophets. He did not come to abolish them.

Salvation is by faith, not the Law.

Shalom.

Jacob
I am glad that we agree. If you choose to obey the ceremonial law out of love for Jesus, as the OP says, that is a beautifal act of worship. Just consider that Jesus fulfilled the purpose of the law of Moses. It was meant to point to Him, and show how much we need Him to save us. Now the law is written on our hearts, with the Holy Spirit.

This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.
Hebrews 8:10*-‬13 NIV
I am very happy to hear you say we are saved by grace.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I am glad that we agree. If you choose to obey the ceremonial law out of love for Jesus, as the OP says, that is a beautifal act of worship. Just consider that Jesus fulfilled the purpose of the law of Moses. It was meant to point to Him, and show how much we need Him to save us. Now the law is written on our hearts, with the Holy Spirit.

This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.
Hebrews 8:10*-‬13 NIV
I am very happy to hear you say we are saved by grace.

We are saved by grace through faith.

No, I do not know what your ceremonial law is nor why you say it can be observed out of love for Jesus.

Jesus taught us to observe and keep, to keep and teach, the Commandments. I just do not have a ceremonial law designation.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It means more to those who were there, than it does to us.

We can learn what it meant to them and what it means for us. Do you accept what Jesus taught there? Do you accept it for you? Do you apply it to your life or have you applied it to your life?

Shalom.

Jacob

dahelmang

We are saved by grace through faith.

No, I do not know what your ceremonial law is nor why you say it can be observed out of love for Jesus.

Jesus taught us to observe and keep, to keep and teach, the Commandments. I just do not have a ceremonial law designation.
Well the law of Moses is divided into three sections by theologians: the moral law, ceremonial law, and civil law. The moral laws are generally repeated in the New Testament, things like don't murder steal or lie. The ceremonial law was meant to keep Israel clean while God was in the Tabernacle and Temple, things like dietary laws and feasts and sacrifices. The civil law was meant for Israel as a society, things like boundary stones, sanctuary cities, and specific puniahments for the courts to enforce. It's not a sure thing, just a way of describing the general categories. since Peter was told he could eat unclean animals in Acts 10, gentile Christians have not usually followed the ceremonial law. That's what I am talking about. The Holy Spirit will convict you of the laws you need to follow.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Well the law of Moses is divided into three sections by theologians: the moral law, ceremonial law, and civil law. The moral laws are generally repeated in the New Testament, things like don't murder steal or lie. The ceremonial law was meant to keep Israel clean while God was in the Tabernacle and Temple, things like dietary laws and feasts and sacrifices. The civil law was meant for Israel as a society, things like boundary stones, sanctuary cities, and specific puniahments for the courts to enforce. It's not a sure thing, just a way of describing the general categories. since Peter was told he could eat unclean animals in Acts 10, gentile Christians have not usually followed the ceremonial law. That's what I am talking about. The Holy Spirit will convict you of the laws you need to follow.

What do you mean by laws?

I disagree with you in your presentation. What Theologians say may not have bearing upon my life as a Jew.

Jesus instructed us to keep and teach the Commandments. It is my belief that no one is excluded from this, but to accept all of the commandments, well, I do not see any obstacle to that and this is what I have done and become a Jew.

Shalom.

Jacob

SabathMoon

BANNED
Banned
We can learn what it meant to them and what it means for us. Do you accept what Jesus taught there? Do you accept it for you? Do you apply it to your life or have you applied it to your life?

Shalom.

Jacob
Turning the other cheek is not good self-defense, and punishment given to Judah for disobeying God. Should we emulate it? :ha:

SabathMoon

BANNED
Banned
What do you mean?

Turning the other cheek is not about self-defense.

Why is this your response to my post?
I think can read his commandments, but consider one another, as I have considered ye (i.e. a first century israelite audience) does not apply to us. He is not considering us. But we consider others as Jesus did.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I think can read his commandments, but consider one another, as I have considered ye (i.e. a first century israelite audience) does not apply to us. He is not considering us. But we consider others as Jesus did.

I am having trouble with your English.

God's Commandments are for all people. There are laws, commands, commandments, for the nation of Israel. I observe them in obedience to Jesus' instruction to keep and teach the commandments.

God's Commandments. Jesus' Commandments. Are they they same? Jesus is not God, but these Commandments are the same. Jesus did as a man give instruction or teach commandments that agree with the Torah, but they are not word for word, verbatim, all recited or all exact quotes from the Torah. However, are they all extension, or extensions, of the Torah? I think so! Jesus observed and taught the Torah. His ministry is better than that of Moses. What we have in Moses is the Word of God.

Consider how Jesus acted or treated others. Do the same. Treat others the same as Jesus would treat them.

Are the commandments of Jesus to His disciples for your obedience if you are a disciple of His? Or, who is His audience in each case? Do you learn from what Jesus taught? Is it for your learning? Can you obey a commandment, some commandments, or all the commandments, of Jesus?

Shalom.

Jacob

dahelmang

What do you mean by laws?

I disagree with you in your presentation. What Theologians say may not have bearing upon my life as a Jew.

Jesus instructed us to keep and teach the Commandments. It is my belief that no one is excluded from this, but to accept all of the commandments, well, I do not see any obstacle to that and this is what I have done and become a Jew.

Shalom.

Jacob
I don't understand your first question.
Of course theologians don't necessarily have any bearing on you, I was just answering your question.
If you look at the laws Jesus talks about, they almost always fall in the moral category. But then again He was talking to Jews who were obeying the other laws anyway.
I am curious, you said you are a convert to Judaism... From what exactly?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I don't understand your first question.
Of course theologians don't necessarily have any bearing on you, I was just answering your question.
If you look at the laws Jesus talks about, they almost always fall in the moral category. But then again He was talking to Jews who were obeying the other laws anyway.
I am curious, you said you are a convert to Judaism... From what exactly?

From Christianity and or being a Gentile. What about the first question do you not understand? I do not know what is meant by moral laws. All of God's laws are moral. If morality and what is moral is what is right and wrong it is right to obey God.

dahelmang

From Christianity and or being a Gentile. What about the first question do you not understand? I do not know what is meant by moral laws. All of God's laws are moral. If morality and what is moral is what is right and wrong it is right to obey God.
But some laws were given to the Israelites because they were moral, and some were given for the order of society (civil), or so the people could live in the presence of the tabernacle and temple (ceremonial). They could not be unclean in God's presence. Having been washed by Jesus' death, we don't have to worry about the ceremonial law.
Consider in Acts 15 when the Jewish believers were considering what to say to the gentile believers, Peter said:
Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear? No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.”
Acts 15:10*-‬11 NIV

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
But some laws were given to the Israelites because they were moral, and some were given for the order of society (civil), or so the people could live in the presence of the tabernacle and temple (ceremonial). They could not be unclean in God's presence. Having been washed by Jesus' death, we don't have to worry about the ceremonial law.
I disagree with your way of saying things or thinking about things.
Consider in Acts 15 when the Jewish believers were considering what to say to the gentile believers, Peter said:
Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear? No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.”
Acts 15:10*-‬11 NIV