Ukraine Crisis

marke

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Russia vetoed a draft U.N. Security Council resolution on Friday that would have deplored Moscow's invasion of Ukraine, while China abstained from the vote - a move western countries view as a win for showing Russia's international isolation.

The United Arab Emirates and India also abstained from the vote on the U.S.-drafted text. The remaining 11 council members voted in favor. The draft resolution is now expected to be taken up by the 193-member U.N. General Assembly.
Only fools would ever expect the UN to do what is right, as demonstrated by the fact that Russia is on every major decision-making committee with any influence in world affairs.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Why Donald Trump’s gushing praise for Vladimir Putin matters

Donald Trump didn’t just offer gushing praise for Vladimir Putin, he also called Russia’s invasion of Ukraine a “genius” and "wonderful" move.

Former President Donald Trump praised Putin’s aggressive moves against Ukraine as “genius” and “very savvy” in a podcast interview Tuesday. "I went in yesterday and there was a television screen, and I said, ‘This is genius.’ Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine — of Ukraine — Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful,” Trump told conservative podcaster Buck Sexton.
The former president seemed quite animated on this point. Reflecting on how impressed he was while watching coverage of Putin’s invasion of a neighboring country, the Republican added, “I said, ‘How smart is that?’ And he’s gonna go in and be a peacekeeper. That’s strongest peace force.... We could use that on our southern border. That’s the strongest peace force I’ve ever seen. There were more army tanks than I’ve ever seen. They’re gonna keep peace all right. Here’s a guy who’s very savvy... I know him very well. Very, very well.”

Trump went on to praise Putin as “a tough cookie” who has “great charm.”

As a rule, the number of countries where leading officials see the invasion of Ukraine as “wonderful” is quite small. As a global security crisis takes shape, Trump has put himself in a small circle, aligning himself with the attitudes of dictators in countries like Syria and Cuba.

On the contrary, it matters, for example, that Trump believes Putin’s indefensible mistake, which actually harms Russia far more than it helps, is “genius.” It also matters that Trump considers an invading military, which intends to take a country by force, a “peace force.”

But what stood out as especially notable was the former president looking wistfully at Putin’s military offensive and saying, “We could use that on our southern border.”

In other words, Trump doesn’t just admire Putin for instigating a global security crisis, he sees Putin’s actions as worthy of emulation. Trump doesn’t just admire Russia’s authoritarian leader, he seems eager to be more like the autocrat.

By any fair measure, it’s embarrassing to see a prominent American — the effective head of one of the country’s two major political parties — acting like a child who wants to be the charter member of a “We Love Putin” fan club. But stepping back, we’re left with questions, not for Trump, but for his party:

Are Republicans comfortable with Trump’s gushing praise for Putin? Do lawmakers such as Lindsey Graham and Marco Rubio agree that Russia’s invasion was a “genius” move? Will Kevin McCarthy and Mitch McConnell endorse the idea that the invading Russian military represents a “peace force”?

Or are leading GOP voices going to pretend, once again, not to know what Trump said?

marke

On this we can agree: Putin is intent on destroying innocent people and sovereign nations for his own personal gain.

I've never stopped seeing him as the enemy, the ex KGB officer who wants to bring back the glory of the USSR, who oppresses his citizens and sows havoc in other countries, including ours.
I wish Bill and Hillary had not taken Putin's monetary gifts or had returned them once they discovered what a wicked hateful Marxist tyrant he is.

marke

Why Donald Trump’s gushing praise for Vladimir Putin matters

Donald Trump didn’t just offer gushing praise for Vladimir Putin, he also called Russia’s invasion of Ukraine a “genius” and "wonderful" move.

The former president seemed quite animated on this point. Reflecting on how impressed he was while watching coverage of Putin’s invasion of a neighboring country, the Republican added, “I said, ‘How smart is that?’ And he’s gonna go in and be a peacekeeper. That’s strongest peace force.... We could use that on our southern border. That’s the strongest peace force I’ve ever seen. There were more army tanks than I’ve ever seen. They’re gonna keep peace all right. Here’s a guy who’s very savvy... I know him very well. Very, very well.”

Trump went on to praise Putin as “a tough cookie” who has “great charm.”

As a rule, the number of countries where leading officials see the invasion of Ukraine as “wonderful” is quite small. As a global security crisis takes shape, Trump has put himself in a small circle, aligning himself with the attitudes of dictators in countries like Syria and Cuba.

On the contrary, it matters, for example, that Trump believes Putin’s indefensible mistake, which actually harms Russia far more than it helps, is “genius.” It also matters that Trump considers an invading military, which intends to take a country by force, a “peace force.”

But what stood out as especially notable was the former president looking wistfully at Putin’s military offensive and saying, “We could use that on our southern border.”

In other words, Trump doesn’t just admire Putin for instigating a global security crisis, he sees Putin’s actions as worthy of emulation. Trump doesn’t just admire Russia’s authoritarian leader, he seems eager to be more like the autocrat.

By any fair measure, it’s embarrassing to see a prominent American — the effective head of one of the country’s two major political parties — acting like a child who wants to be the charter member of a “We Love Putin” fan club. But stepping back, we’re left with questions, not for Trump, but for his party:

Are Republicans comfortable with Trump’s gushing praise for Putin? Do lawmakers such as Lindsey Graham and Marco Rubio agree that Russia’s invasion was a “genius” move? Will Kevin McCarthy and Mitch McConnell endorse the idea that the invading Russian military represents a “peace force”?

Or are leading GOP voices going to pretend, once again, not to know what Trump said?
Nobody in America should be praising or enabling Putin, whether democrat or republican, not even Biden or Trump.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
If the thread is about Ukraine then why are you talking about world leaders, like Pompeo and Trudeau, saying nice things about brutal fascist dictators?

No idea what you're talking about regarding Trudeau. Any mention I made of Pompeo was in reference to Putin which has to do with Ukraine. If you want to talk about China that's a different thread.

marke

No idea what you're talking about regarding Trudeau. Any mention I made of Pompeo was in reference to Putin which has to do with Ukraine. If you want to talk about China that's a different thread.
Trudeau's support for fascist Marxism is providing aid and comfort to the fascist Marxist Russian leader currently invading and brutalizing a sovereign nation the way Chinese officials, praised by Trudeau, oppress and enslave citizens of China.

marke

QAnon supporters and far-right figures hail Russian invasion of Ukraine as Putin taking down the “cabal”

Supporters of the QAnon conspiracy theory and other far-right figures cheered the Russian invasion of Ukraine, calling it a step toward destroying the so-called “cabal.” This is not the first time such figures have praised an international authoritarian action -- they were equally vocal in their support of the military coup in Myanmar in early 2021.

On February 24, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced a “special military operation” in Ukraine and Russian troops invaded the country. In response, multiple QAnon figures thanked Putin and cheered the Russian attack, writing that the invasion was “a proper, and NECESSARY deep cleaning of Cabal operations and military assets” and meant that “the Cabal will be exposed in Ukraine and it will be one of the last pieces of the Plan.” (“Cabal” is a reference to a tenet of the conspiracy theory about the power of a supposed cabal of pedophiles around the world.)

QAnon supporters also claimed that Putin was simply invading a new world order “stronghold” and “destroying the money laundering operation” and Ukraine’s “deep state government,” thus “removing the [deep state] players.” They also claimed that the U.S. politicians criticizing the invasion are “deep state players … protecting their interests in Ukraine.”
It sounds like the supporters of this QAnon bunch are off their rocker on the issue of Ukraine, like Adam Schiff and his democrat hordes were in La-La Land left field by condemning American investigations into the Biden family corruption in Ukraine.

marke

Remember when Trump withdrew from the Open Skies Treaty, November 22, 2020?

Prior to that, on October 7, 2019:

View attachment 2786 View attachment 2785

screen-shot-2022-02-24-at-4-26-39-pm-png.2785

The democrat who wrote this does not say why Trump sought to change the Open Skies Treaty or why he thinks Trump's reasons are wrong, but he does say U.S. relations have gotten worse over the last decade and that Trump should be trying to improve those relations, not hurt them. How does that democrat opinion square with the propagandist democrat narrative that Trump is much too cozy with Putin?

marke

Yes President Biden does stumble in places. But his words themselves, their meaning, are clear and decisive.

And Russian State Television isn't using Biden's words as wartime propaganda they way they're using Trump's and Pompeo's praise of Putin.
Biden's words are "clear and decisive?"

Now we have over 120 million dead from COVID.

If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black.

We hold these truths to be self-evident: all men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

You know, there’s a uh, during World War II, uh, you know, where Roosevelt came up with a thing uh, that uh, you know, was totally different than a, than the, the, it’s called, he called it the, you know, the World War II, he had the war – the War Production Board.

I may be Irish but I’m not stupid.

Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.

When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn’t just talk about the princes of greed. He said, ‘Look, here’s what happened.’

Look, John’s last-minute economic plan does nothing to tackle the number one job facing the middle class, and it happens to be, as Barack says, a three-letter word: jobs. J-O-B-S.

If you want to know where Al Qaeda lives, you want to know where Bin Laden is, come back to Afghanistan with me. Come back to the area where my helicopter was forced down, with a three-star general and three senators at 10,500 feet in the middle of those mountains. I can tell you where they are.

A man I’m proud to call my friend. A man who will be the next President of the United States – Barack America!

I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.

“We bring social workers into homes with parents to help them deal with how to raise their children. It’s not that they don’t want to help. They don’t know quite what to do — play the radio, make sure the television, excuse me, make sure you have the record player on at night,” Biden said.

we-choose-truth-over-facts-funny-joe-biden-truth-over-facts-quote-t-shirt-t-shirt.jpg

marke

Indeed, Biden, is far from perfect, but he a DECENT, PATRIOTIC legitimately-elected POTUS. A loving, FAITHFUL father and husband. I will accept his flaws.

Compared to the alternative, they are insignificant.
Biden loves little kids, both male and female. He loves the smell of freshly washed hair. He smiles really big, even at funerals. He slanders his political enemies with a certain flair. He loves making money under the table. He will reward any donor to his campaigns who write big enough checks. He supports leftist causes with a passion, including bloody brutal murder by abortion and perverted sex of all kinds. And he will not allow investigators to look too deeply into democrat corruption.

What a guy!

marke

Howdy Pete. It’s heartbreaking, and yet there are other countries including my own who are against military action. I wish Ukraine would be welcomed into the UN immediately AND retroactively so our members WOULD intervene and wipe out every single Russian soldier involved and then figure out a way to give Putin the Osama Bin Ladin treatment.

As much as I hate war and military interaction, sometimes an evil is so great it has to be done. Putin and his allies are the next Hitler regime …
Millions of people from free nations opposed going to war against Hitler because they had the wrong impression that the horrors of war and subsequent slavery to brutal tyrannical invaders could never touch them.

marke

Trump is facing a total of 19 legal actions – about half of which allege improper conduct during his presidency.

Most of the cases fall under three themes: financial wrongdoings that made him more money; his role in the January 6 2021 insurrection; and his alleged interference in the 2020 election. Trump has denied wrongdoing in most of these cases. He has filed motions to dismiss several of them and has filed countersuits in some cases.

Here are all the legal cases as of 1 February 2022:

Trump will likely be facing retributive but unjust and immoral actions from offended democrats long after Hillary is dead and stuck in her eternal "resting place."