Ukraine Crisis

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
time-putin-tank.jpg

Patrick Mulder's art on the left, Time's actual cover on the right.

FMrnObVXIAI93Vk
About time Europe woke up

Arthur Brain

War is hell. Some people cheer for it, like crazy Pat Robertson, who wants to get on with the end times:

Televangelist Pat Robertson came out of retirement to say Russia’s president Vladimir Putin was “compelled by God” to invade Ukraine.

We watch most world events in which people suffer and die from a place of relative safety. It usually doesn't affect us because it's far away, so it's easy to have opinions when we're not the ones being rounded up or bombed, or to second-guess those on the ground trying to make the best decisions to protect the most people. It's important now to watch the EU, this is their fight, with all the support we can give them. What has been happening in places like Syria has come home to Europe. But if NATO is involved, it becomes Russia against NATO and changes things entirely.
Well said.

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ
I'm gonna have to follow the experts on this. You understand, I hope.
What "experts"?
You actually didn't qualify "official" with "Russian official" in your prior post. "Official" could mean anything.
Or it could mean pertaining to an office.
In this case, if you're going with "Russian official," I'll go with Putin is a lying totalitarian.
You're not a Russian official, and I agree with your view.

Putin doesn't belong in power.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Yeah, what a map is...possibly...

Meanwhile, Pompeo got part of his anatomy handed to him while projecting his own biased interests...

Last week, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo lashed out at NPR anchor Mary Louise Kelly. "He asked me, 'Do you think Americans care about Ukraine?'" Kelly reported. "He used the f-word in that sentence and many others. He asked if I could find Ukraine on a map. I said yes; he called out for his aides to bring him a map of the world with no writing, no countries marked. I pointed to Ukraine; he put the map away." Pompeo did not want to be asked about Ukraine.

Arthur Brain

Considering most MAGA couldn't find Ukraine on a map, I'm sure some of her conservative naysayers learned something new today. (y)
We have a president of a country - Vlodomyr Zelenskyy - who refused safe passage out of danger in no uncertain terms - and we have the likes of Trump, who gives plaudits to a megalomaniac. And we also have far right dipsticks who still give praise to Trump.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
We have a president of a country - Vlodomyr Zelenskyy - who refused safe passage out of danger in no uncertain terms - and we have the likes of Trump, who gives plaudits to a megalomaniac. And we also have far right dipsticks who still give praise to Trump.

I wake up every morning and look to see if he's survived another night. He is legend.

What this terrible travesty of the invasion of Ukraine and the killing of civilians has done here in the states is put a bright line between those who will choose (Christian) authoritarianism over human rights and those who unequivocally condemn Putin. It's the equivocating that gives them away. Like, Putin was great when he was shirtless on a horse or helping Trump win an election or persecuting gays, but okay maybe it's bad he's killing other white people now.

Arthur Brain

I wake up every morning and look to see if he's survived another night. He is legend.

What this terrible travesty of the invasion of Ukraine and the killing of civilians has done here in the states is put a bright line between those who will choose (Christian) authoritarianism over human rights and those who unequivocally condemn Putin. It's the equivocating that gives them away. Like, Putin was great when he was shirtless on a horse or helping Trump win an election or persecuting gays, but okay maybe it's bad he's killing other white people now.
"I need ammunition, not a ride".

Can you imagine Trump saying anything like that if his butt was in the firing line? It's a travesty that this man had to even utter words like that and one can only hope that this atrocity ends ASAP but it's unlikely. It's just appalling, all ends up. Anyone who gave the remotest credence to Putin was already a dimwit and so much more redacted now. Same with Trump really.

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ
President Potato: "Putin ... will never gain the hearts and souls of the Iranian people!"
Yeah I caught that. He must have misspoke about 50 times in the Ukrainian part of his address (iow before he got into electioneering and campaigning partisanship mode).

Gary K

Banned
The multiplicity of stories surrounding this war make one confusing mess so I will just say this about the entire situation,

I have known a lot of Ukrainians during my lifetime and they have been some of the best people I've ever known. I do not recall ever knowing a dishonest one. I'm sure there are some because we live in a sinful world, but I have never known one. I don't know of a higher compliment to give them. I will also say I have yet to meet a Ukrainian without a good sense of humor.

Ukrainian food, cooked by the Ukrainian women I have known, is the best food I have eaten. I love it.

My sympathies lie with the Ukrainian people. They have suffered far more than their fair share and I would love to see all this corruption and cruelty come to an end so these people can live decent lives. The US, the Russians and the WEF need to get out of their lives and just let them live.