Trump sends Cruise Missles Into Syria

kmoney

Hall of Fame
and if he was presenting Xi with a "either you take care of nork or i will", what better way to put an exclamation mark on it than to blow up a bunch of syria?
Yep. Trump's action in Syria sent a few messages. :Clete:

rexlunae

I'm glad to see someone imposing a cost on gassing civilians, and the sudden respect that Trump is showing to human rights. I wonder if he thought about Abdel Fattah el-Sisi's record on human rights, while he was welcoming him warmly to the White House. I also wonder if he know that for this to mean anything at all, it must be followed by additional actions, a commitment to enforce a standard. I also can't help but notice that Trump spoke to Putin on the phone the day before the gas attack, and that the last time they spoke, there was also an escalation from some of Putin's puppets. I'm hoping everyone has read 1984.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm glad to see someone imposing a cost on gassing civilians, and the sudden respect that Trump is showing to human rights. I wonder if he thought about Abdel Fattah el-Sisi's record on human rights, while he was welcoming him warmly to the White House. I also wonder if he know that for this to mean anything at all, it must be followed by additional actions, a commitment to enforce a standard.
Definitely a big question. What will Trump's overall strategy be and what will his next steps be.

I also can't help but notice that Trump spoke to Putin on the phone the day before the gas attack, and that the last time they spoke, there was also an escalation from some of Putin's puppets. I'm hoping everyone has read 1984.
What do you think the significance could be? That Trump knew about the chemical attack and then....

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1) Im MAD
That's all it takes to get a daily lecture from Danoh on how grace should be shown.

Here's one of his examples of showing grace:
You lying, slandering, ungrateful hypocrite.

you fraud

you are an integrate and a liar.

I'm done with you. Don't post to me anymore, you fraud.

Ain't we all so lucky to have Danoh tell each and every one of us how incompetent we are, every single day.

drbrumley

Obama: "You can't stir up any more international chaos in the Middle East than I did with Libya & Egypt."

Trump: "Hold my beer."

Foxfire

Most Americans are so used to Obama doing nothing all the time and letting other nations walk all over us. Trump didn't waste any time with action, which is refreshing.

Yeah! Bama should have gone to congress with a request for authorization of use of military force against Syria when he was pres. :doh:

musterion

Watching everyone turn leftist is rather weird to behold, (esp. here on TOL)

I'm neither defending or attacking Trump. The point of my other thread is the reaction of the CNN drone to the guy's statement. If Obama had done this attack, it would have been trumpeted as the most righteously civilized act ever. Because this guy thanked Trump, she was very displeased.

drbrumley

Yeah! Bama should have gone to congress with a request for authorization of use of military force against Syria when he was pres. :doh:

Funny...but Bama was the one of the worst presidents when it came to bombing others...He did that thousands of times, so either Patrick has no clue, or he has selective memory

rexlunae

Definitely a big question. What will Trump's overall strategy be and what will his next steps be.

I suspect that there is no larger policy. It gives him a more positive news cycle and a distraction from other things, and probably changes little. But I hope to be surprised.

What do you think the significance could be? That Trump knew about the chemical attack and then....

We know he had a backchannel line of communication to Putin in the Seychelles. Putin has a history of very clearly using foreign action to distract from domestic problems, and both seem to have good reasons to do it. And the timing is interesting.