toldailytopic: What can be done to help prevent the epidemic of school shootings?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Since 1996, there have been 58 multiple shootings in schools in the United States, about 3.6 such incidents per year.

In 2010, there were 98,817 public schools in the United States.

So the annual risk of being in a school with such a shooting would be roughly 0.00003. Somewhat greater than being caught in a tornado, but there are about 49.8 million public school students in the United States.

The likelihood of being actually shot in a school shooting is well under one in a million...
They are living your statistic (1 Cor 13:2). Do you think it takes courage to confront evil? :smokie:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Tinmark writes:
The U.S. has the lowest rate of acceptance of evolution out of all modern industralized countries (only Turkey has a lower rate of such acceptance).

It also ranks close to or near the top in belief in Christanity.

Those countries that have the highest rates of acceptance of evolution and the least amount of belief in God have the lowest rates of mass shootings.

Sorry, but the facts clearly and umbigously demonstrate your proposed solution is the opposite of what we should be doing.

Enzel writes:
I can sell that to the corn and soybean farmers to fertilize their fields. What a truckload of manure!

He's right, but for a different reason. Firearms are harder to come by in most other nations. Somebody going berserk with an axe doesn't have the ability to kill as many or as easily.

It is notable that as acceptance of evolution has increased in this country, the rate of violence has dropped.

Would you like to see that?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Anyways, is the answer really closing the schools? Must we close all public venues to be safe?

In the same sense that we must all live deep underground to be safe from lightning strikes.

Which are more likely than being shot by an intruder or a student in a public school. What happened to common sense here?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I suspect that the major media outlets will do their best to avoid mentioning whether Adam Lanza was on SSRI prescription medications, as were most of the other mass murderers of the last decade.

Or that he was the product of home schooling.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
They are living your statistic.

Yep. And the point is, if we armed teachers, more students would be dead than if we didn't arm teachers. Accidental handgun deaths are much more common than deaths from school shootings. You're proposing a solution that is many times more dangerous than the hazard.

Do you think it takes courage to confront evil?

Not in your case.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Do you think it takes courage to confront evil?] "Not in your case."
:yawn: Ad hominem

Do you think you can create heaven on earth? Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10.

[What is Sin? By John MacArthur] "...[W]e look at the world today and it's not very good. Evolutionists really amuse me. They are clueless about this because they're living under the self-deception that man is getting better, that he's improving. The idea of evolution is that man starts from simplicity and mutates upward into complexity. That he starts from a very low and minimalistic level of intelligence and mutates upward to a greater intelligence. That he starts at a base level morally and he moves up to a higher and higher level morally.

But the fact...the fact of just life itself, the truth about man is a refutation of evolution. Because the fact of the matter is, man isn't getting better, he's getting worse..." Full text: What is Sin?

See:

Barbarian

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Serpent hisses:
But the fact...the fact of just life itself, the truth about man is a refutation of evolution. Because the fact of the matter is, man isn't getting better, he's getting worse..."

The Flynn effect is the substantial and long-sustained increase in intelligence test scores measured in many parts of the world from roughly 1930 to the present day. When intelligence quotient (IQ) tests are initially standardized using a sample of test-takers, by convention the average of the test results is set to 100 and their standard deviation is set to 15 or 16 IQ points. When IQ tests are revised, they are again standardized using a new sample of test-takers, usually born more recently than the first. Again, the average result is set to 100. However, when the new test subjects take the older tests, in almost every case their average scores are significantly above 100.

Test score increases have been continuous and approximately linear from the earliest years of testing to the present. For the Raven's Progressive Matrices test, subjects born over a 100 year period were compared in Des Moines, Iowa, and separately in Dumfries, Scotland. Improvements were remarkably consistent across the whole period, in both countries.[1] This effect of an apparent increase in IQ has also been observed in various other parts of the world, though the rates of increase vary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect

Surprise.

They are clueless about this because they're living under the self-deception that man is getting better, that he's improving. The idea of evolution is that man starts from simplicity and mutates upward into complexity. That he starts from a very low and minimalistic level of intelligence and mutates upward to a greater intelligence. That he starts at a base level morally and he moves up to a higher and higher level morally.

As usual, people who think they hate evolution, have no idea what it is.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
...As usual, people who think they hate evolution, have no idea what it is.
:yawn: Too bad you don't believe that God did what he said he did (1 Jn 5:10, 1 Thes 2:13). :poly: "If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?" Jn 3:12

God is the creator of all things (by God [Ge 1:1; 2:4,5; Pr 26:10] by Christ [Jn 1:3,10; Col 1:16] by the Holy Spirit [Job 26:13; Ps 104:30]).

He formed the heavens and the earth and its inhabitants (Gen. 1:24-25; 2:19; Jer. 27:5) which had no previous existence (Ro 4:17; Heb 11:3).

Creation took place in six normal days (Ex 20:11; 31:17).

God created man in his own image (Ge 1:26,27; 1Co 11:7) and likeness (Ge 1:26; Jas 3:9) from the beginning (Ge 1:1; Mt 24:21, Mk 10:6).

God created them male and female (Ge 1:26-27; 5:2, Mt 19:4).

By faith we understand this (Heb 11:3) which leads to confidence (Ps 124:8; 146:5,6).

Wile E. Coyote

Actually, the murder rate is dropping in the US, events like this one notwithstanding.
Hmm....

I am going to investigate this. I googled "Murder rate dropping in the United States" and each site on the first page confirms what you are saying.

I do not draw a conclusion as yet.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
...crickets...:chz4brnz:

:sozo: Where are you RandomThoughts? :idunno:

[What is Sin? By John MacArthur] "...ecause they reject sin they have no explanation for why man is the way he is. They miss diagnose him totally so they offer no help..." Jud 1:12 Full text: What is Sin?

See:

Godrulz

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Serpent hisses:
They are clueless about this because they're living under the self-deception that man is getting better, that he's improving. The idea of evolution is that man starts from simplicity and mutates upward into complexity. That he starts from a very low and minimalistic level of intelligence and mutates upward to a greater intelligence. That he starts at a base level morally and he moves up to a higher and higher level morally.

Barbarian chuckles:
As usual, people who think they hate evolution, have no idea what it is.

Serpent hisses:
Too bad you don't believe that God did what he said he did

The only difference between me and you, is that I'm willing to let Him do it His way.

But your jackleg preacher is not only ignorant of what evolution is, he is also dead wrong about people getting worse. As you learned, humans have been getting more intelligent.

Measurably so. Even if your unorthodox reworking of scripture tells you otherwise.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
...As usual, people who think they hate evolution, have no idea what it is.
There is a God and you are responsible to him (Re 7:9, 20:11).

See:

The Reality of God's Wrath by John MacArthur

Cartman1.jpg

As you learned, humans have been getting more intelligent...
From Wikipedia? :rotfl: Thanks. :eek:

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Actually, the murder rate is dropping in the US, events like this one notwithstanding.

And the rate of shootings in schools is dropping faster. It was never common, and now, it's exceedingly rare.

Serpent explains her theology:
Cartman1.jpg

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yep. And the point is, if we armed teachers, more students would be dead than if we didn't arm teachers. Accidental handgun deaths are much more common than deaths from school shootings. You're proposing a solution that is many times more dangerous than the hazard.

Accidental handgun deaths don't tend to happen to people who don't unholster their weapons. Teachers would be trained not to ever unholster their weapons in the presence of students unless there was a clear and present danger! Your assertion is silly!

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:

Accidental handgun deaths don't tend to happen to people who don't unholster their weapons.

True. But it still happens.

Teachers would be trained not to ever unholster their weapons in the presence of students unless there was a clear and present danger!

And TH noted that unless we spent a lot of time drilling in actual simualted circumstances, people would be very unlikely to respond properly in those one in a million circumstances where a gun might help. Meantime, the unfortunate accidents would indeed happen. It's a fact that they do.

Your assertion is silly!

Assessment of Risk was a job I did for years; I was certified to do it. It's very unwise to try to control a very unlikely risk with a more likely one.

Understand, I'm not calling for gun control. I agree with you that any responsible person should have access to guns if he or she so wishes.

I'm just pointing out the reality. The idea of having armed guards on campuses would be much less likely to lead to deaths, (and in that one in 29,000 cases where a shooter does attack a school, would be much more effective) but of course, you would get very little benefit for that greatly increased cost. Spending more money on security cameras, training teachers for emergency procedures, and so on, would be more effective and less costly.

Which is why it isn't done.

rexlunae

Hmm....

I am going to investigate this. I googled "Murder rate dropping in the United States" and each site on the first page confirms what you are saying.

I do not draw a conclusion as yet.

I'd be very interested to learn if you find contrary statistics from reliable sources.

It's worth keeping in mind that most of the gun violence in this country goes mostly unnoticed and unreported by the national media. We expect it to happen. These mass shootings are disgusting and terrifying because they happen outside the areas where we normally expect violence, but ultimately they are a drop in the bucket.

Remember a couple of weeks ago when the major news outlets were reporting on New York's murder free day. The fact that that's news tells us a lot about what the status quo really is.