toldailytopic: Is homosexuality genetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I believe people have a lot more control over their sexuality than most will admit.

Be attracted to Rosie O'Donald! Be attracted to Rosie O'Donald!

Sexual inclination is a choice, Csuguy. Be attracted to Rosie O'Donald! Choose the attraction! Choose it!

Real Sorceror

This has probably already been said, but as far as the actual morality of homosexuality is concerned, it doesn't really matter if its genetic or not. Its still something we'll want to find out, though. Inquiring minds and all that.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 24th, 2010 10:55 AM

toldailytopic: Is homosexuality genetic?

Current scientific "consensus" (there's some disagreement but it's the prevailing view) is that a homosexual orientation or tending towards it are largely caused by the hormonal environment of the fetus in the womb.

Genetics *might* play a part. Environment and culture and upbringing and all that stuff plays a part more in attitudes towards sex than on sexual identity and orientation, though.

Yep, what he said. Genetics may play a role in many cases but even something as simple as birth order appears to contribute.

I'd mostly agree with the above.

I don't think there is a "gay gene" but there does seem to be biological factors involved in sexuality. That doesn't mean that all gay people are biologically driven to be that way and it doesn't mean that sexuality isn't somewhat flexible or changeable in some cases.

BarefootTalmid

If homosexuality were purely a "choice" as conservatives who are "opposed" to it claim, why would gay people "choose" to live a lifestyle where they are constantly at risk of being treated so badly,descriminated against, taunted,bullied, fired from their jobs,
not allowed to serve in the military openly, and even physically attacked or murdered, and rejected by their parents and families?
Does this make any sense?
This is the most laughably flawed logic I have ever heard. Why would anyone do anything that pleases them and not others?

I happen to be a teacher, and I see teens do/say things on a daily basis that bring ire upon themselves and shame upon their parents. The whole "Goth" thing comes to mind. Those kids get bullied and made fun of relentlessly, and it is something they could EASILY change about themselves. Hell, I was a kid who loved to skateboard in a rural, backwater town full of farmers and rednecks. Talk about enjoying something that put me at risk to bullying and ridicule! Why would I choose to skateboard if my parents, fellow students, other adults, etc. disapprove or even hate me for it? I don't know, but I liked skateboarding.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Why would I choose to skateboard if my parents, fellow students, other adults, etc. disapprove or even hate me for it? I don't know, but I liked skateboarding.

Your love of skating is due to genetics. Haven't you read ANY of this thread? Your love for skateboarding brought you ridicule... but you were genetically programmed to love skating. Too bad the hicks in your hometown weren't savy to todays scientific research! :loser:

The underlying tones here are that ANY of our bad/questionably bad choices can be explained away by: genetics, our parents, society, tv, video games, the government, the next door neighbors dog barking too loudly at night when we were kids, or too much flouride in the tap water. Thats why we don't need any made up guy in the sky bit to save us!! If nothing is our fault, why would we need a Redeemer?:jump:

Merry meat

Of course it isn't genetic, why would Jesus speak against something that was genetic. A just God would not punish His people for something akin to having red hair.

csuguy

Sexual inclination is a choice, Csuguy. Be attracted to Rosie O'Donald! Choose the attraction! Choose it!

Different cultures have different standards of beauty. America tends to prize petite women, others prize large women. We develop a subconscious standard overtime based upon our environment. Which would explain why many men appear to be attracted to women who are similar to their mothers. It also shows that it is not a matter of genetics, but of how we are raised.

Of course, one can challenge their culture and change themselves so that they don't reflect their culture - or they may even go for the exact opposite of what their culture dictates. Most people don't see any point in doing this, but people occasionally do and they are able to get beyond the subconscious standards implanted in us by our environments.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Different cultures have different standards of beauty.

Be countercultural! Be attracted to Rosie O'Donald!

America tends to prize petite women, others prize large women. We develop a subconscious standard overtime based upon our environment. Which would explain why many men appear to be attracted to women who are similar to their mothers. It also shows that it is not a matter of genetics, but of how we are raised.

The Protestant line is that the homosexual inclination somehow is chosen. I can only assume that you're in agreement. Well, fine. Choose to be attracted to Rosie O'Donald.

Of course, one can challenge their culture and change themselves so that they don't reflect their culture - or they may even go for the exact opposite of what their culture dictates. Most people don't see any point in doing this, but people occasionally do and they are able to get beyond the subconscious standards implanted in us by our environments.

Good! Now be attracted to Rosie O'Donald! I command it!

Lon

Its a choice. Her choices prohibit your scenario btw.

Lon

Try reading your own link, of course hermaphrodites are "born that way":

Intersex in humans refers to intermediate or atypical combinations of physical features that usually distinguish female from male.

Homosexuality is a "behavior", not a physical feature.

Bingo

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
If nothing is our fault, why would we need a Redeemer?

From a worldly perspective, if NOTHING is our fault, then we are no longer individuals and can bask in "group identity" politics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_politics

Just think of all the great things that lie ahead if you were "born gay" (besides misery, disease and death).

Bigoted (i.e. people that believe in God and His Word) pastors couldn't speak out against the sin of homosexuality.
Bigoted employers couldn't refuse to hire you.
Bigoted landlords couldn't refuse to rent you a house.

Heck, you'd even get extra protection under the law if you were assaulted by someone.
http://www.conservapedia.com/Hate_crime

csuguy

Be countercultural! Be attracted to Rosie O'Donald!

The Protestant line is that the homosexual inclination somehow is chosen. I can only assume that you're in agreement. Well, fine. Choose to be attracted to Rosie O'Donald.

Good! Now be attracted to Rosie O'Donald! I command it!

If I chose to do so I'm sure I could become attracted to Rosie O'Donald. Of course, I lack any reason to - and I certaintly don't count you commanding me to as a reason.

So what is your point exactly? That because I don't choose to be attracted to Rosie O'Donald one is incapable of choosing to be attracted to her or anyone else?

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Then choose it. From now on, be attracted only to woman whom ordinarily you would consider ugly, and stop being attracted to women whom normally you would consider attractive. :idunno:

I thought a Catholic Right Winger would be better than this.

Are you basing physical appearance solely as the basis for being attractive or being attracted to someone?

Some of the ugliest women that I've ever met were beautiful in appearance (oops, my gender has been divulged).

Arthur Brain

If I chose to do so I'm sure I could become attracted to Rosie O'Donald. Of course, I lack any reason to - and I certaintly don't count you commanding me to as a reason.

So what is your point exactly? That because I don't choose to be attracted to Rosie O'Donald one is incapable of choosing to be attracted to her or anyone else?

I've never had any say in the women I've been attracted to. You're either attracted to someone or you aren't. By that reckoning we can all choose to become gay and that ain't gonna happen. Even the "reformed" homosexuals here still admit to same gender attraction as it's something beyond control in itself.

Arthur Brain

Are you basing physical appearance solely as the basis for being attractive or being attracted to someone?

Some of the ugliest women that I've ever met were beautiful in appearance (oops, my gender has been divulged).

Why would your gender have been divulged by that remark? It's possible to recognise physical beauty without actual attraction. FTR though does this mean you're a bloke and not a woman as you seem to have 'divulged' to other posters? :idunno:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned

I've never wanted to copulate with a 'beautiful personality.' :plain:

Status
Not open for further replies.