The verses dispys misinterpret--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoh

Yet Paul also mentioned 2Cor 3:6 along with Galatians 1:12, Luke 17:20-21 Galatians 3:8 is interesting as is Acts 26:22, Acts 28:20-23, And you could also be at odds with them as well seeing the false observable historic influence of the letter is still guiding you're doctrinal foundation instead of Galatians 4:24, Luke 15:45, Gen 32:30.

You'll have to lay out what you believe about those passages, as well as what you believe Dispys assert, and - what Dispys you are referring to.

For as with all things in life, one is not only bound to find various schools of thought on any one issue, but also; even individuals within a same school who hold a different understanding on some things than that of their own fellows.

The ball is in your court...

And in more ways than you might think it is...

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Lewis S. Chafer said that dispensationalism has
"...changed the Bible from being a mass of more or less conflicting
writings into a classified and easily assimilated revelation of both
the earthly and heavenly purposes of God, which reach on into eternity
to come.." Lewis. S. Chafer, ‘Dispensationalism,’ Bibliotheca Sacra, 93
(October 1936), 410, 416, 446-447

Scripture is too subtle for the guy who is in the spiritual condition of
the natural man who does not discern the things of the Spirit in I
Corinthians 2: 14.. So dispensationalism or Christian Zionism changed the
interpretation of the Bible to supposedly make it consistent with a
theology honoring the chosen people by their physical bloodline.

That which is physical is easier for the carnal mind to grasp.

Briefly, here are the founders of dispensationalism-Christian Zionism:

To counteract the Protestant teaching that the Pope was the anti-Christ, Francisco Ribera,1537-1591, a Jesuit, wrote in 1585 a commentary on the Book of Revelation - Sacrum Beati Ioannis Apostoli, & Evangelistiae Apocalypsin Commentarij.

Ribera said that the anti-Christ would be one man, would rule for three and a half literal years, would deny Christ,persecute the saints, rebuild the temple in Jerusalem, conquer the world and kill the Two Witnesses of God. In 1585 the Catholic Church was into amillennialism which does not emphasize futurist prophecy fulfillment. But the Jesuit Ribera was teaching futurism.

Later, a Jesuit, Manuel or Emmanuel de Lacunza, 1731-1801, wrote The Coming of Messiah in Glory and Majesty. Lacunza, like Ribera, goes beyond the amillenial theology of the Catholic Church. He said that the Church would be raptured before Jesus returned to Earth.

Lacunza said that the appearance of the ant-Christ and the two witnesses are still in the future, just before the coming of Christ. For Lacunza the prophecies concerning the antichrist will be fulfilled just prior to the coming of Christ. He said the tribulation during which the church will be persecuted by the antichrist will last 1260 literal days.

Edward Irving, 1792-1834, became interested in Lacunza's ideas and translated his book into English. Irving was interested in the teachings of Lacanza before John Darby began to take up these ideas.

John N. Darby, founder of the Plymouth Brethren, admitted that he had been influenced by the writings of the Jesuit De Lacunza.

Then an American, Cyrus Ingerson Scofield, 1843-1921, spread what came to be called dispensationalism in the English speaking world, especially through his book, the Scofield Reference Bible in 1909.

Lewis S. Chafer, 1871-1952, another American, made the teachings of Ribera, Lacunza, Irving, Darby,and Scofield into a more systematic theology. Chafer also founded Dallas Theological Seminary.

So, it was John Darby and C. I. Scofield and Lewis S. Chafer who "changed the Bible from being a mass of more or less conflicting
writings into a classified and easily assimilated revelation of both
the earthly and heavenly purposes of God." What they did was change the interpretation of the Bible. Their interpretation of the Bible emphasized Jewish supremacy, and the continuation of the Old Covenant in some way. They postulated that God now has two peoples, Old Covenant Israel - which Chafer calls earthly Israel - and the Church.

Indeed, Dispensationalism is earthy and appeals to mans' material nature.

That is why adherents insist on a literal rendering of all the Word of God, and deny spiritual applications and prophetic symbolism.

Result: They miss the two-fold and sometimes three-fold depths of Scripture that reveal the providence and purposes of God Almighty for His remnant of saints. They have been deluded, by reading Darby's bible interpretation and studying Scofield notes, to believe that much of what is promised to Christians is really meant for an earthly, and tribal Israel (that doesn't even exist anymore!)

Ben Masada

"Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

The verbal juggling here in Galatians 3:16 is a demonstration of Replacement Theology because the point of the author is to replace Israel with the "Christ" of Paul. The promise was made with Abraham's seed from Isaac and Jacob. Jesus took a part on it for being a Jew while he was alive.

And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after,cannot disannul,that it should make the promise of none effect.

That's true. That Covenant with Abraham was the Covenant of the circumcision, an everlasting Covenant.(Genesis 17:19) So much so that when the Law was officially given 430 later did not annul it.

For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise." Galatians 3: 16-18.

The Law had nothing at all to do with the Covenant of circumcision made with Abraham. Paul was mixing one thing with the other in order to confuse his listeners and readers of generations to come. Not Jews though.

I have never seen a dispnsationalist-Christian Zionist say what this text means to him or her. Its a text that is ignored and side stepped.

I wonder because the text is a classic one as Replacement Theology is concerned.

"For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Galatians 3: 26-29.

Now, comes the mercy strike. The "Israel is My son; let My son go" had to be replaced if the Jews did not add faith in the "Christ" of Paul. There would be neither Jew no Greek but Christians only in the "Christ" of Paul. And last but not least, to be seed of Abraham, one had to be in the "Christ" of Paul.

What does this text mean to dispensationalist-Christian Zionists

It means their wish-fulfilling end of the Jews with their way of life aka Judaism.

Danoh

To argue is not the word but to learn. There is no learning in the chit-chattering of common beliefs. All learning comes by way of controversy. I have learned a lot since I have been around in this forum.

Yep.

I have learned, and continue to learn much, from other's views; opposed, or otherwise.

Intolerance to any view but one's own - be it verbalized or by way of ignoring another's stated understandings on one thing or another; is often nothing more than the mark of an indiviual unable to see much beyond their own self-induced one-sided blindness.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Indeed, Dispensationalism is earthy and appeals to mans' material nature.

That is why adherents insist on a literal rendering of all the Word of God, and deny spiritual applications and prophetic symbolism.

Result: They miss the two-fold and sometimes three-fold depths of Scripture that reveal the providence and purposes of God Almighty for His remnant of saints. They have been deluded, by reading Darby's bible interpretation and studying Scofield notes, to believe that much of what is promised to Christians is really meant for an earthly, and tribal Israel (that doesn't even exist anymore!)

Well, first of all, I've NEVER read anything by Scofield or Darby. Never even heard of Darby until I came to TOL and the only thing I heard about Scofield, is the "Scofield Bible," which I never read. So, looks like Nangster is making sweeping generalizations again. I HIGHLY doubt Nangster even knows what Dispensationalists believe? There are also divisions in the Dispensational community. Does she know what these divisions comprise of? The truth be told, she's merely an arrogant and ignorant poster who doesn't know what she's talking about, however, loves to behold what she posts regardless.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Yet Paul also mentioned 2Cor 3:6 along with Galatians 1:12, Luke 17:20-21 Galatians 3:8 is interesting as is Acts 26:22, Acts 28:20-23, And you could also be at odds with them as well seeing the false observable historic influence of the letter is still guiding you're doctrinal foundation instead of Galatians 4:24, Luke 15:45, Gen 32:30.

Hey, Zeke, are you still into "New Age" ideas of thought and reason? I know you're not a Christian believer and are usually found sharing with Caino and Freelight on their "Urantia Book" thread. You fit in with them better than discussing Christian matters. Right Zeke? Are you still concerned about people's signatures on paper?

northwye

"Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
25. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
26. But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all." Galatians 4: 24-26

Dispensationalist-Christian Zionists honor "Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children."

This is the multitude of that Jerusalem which now is and is in bondage, those seen in Romans 11: 20-22, who were broken off because of unbelief."

The remnant of that Jerusalem which was before in bondage with her children accepted Christ and were remade, or - as Paul says in Romans 12: 2 - were transformed by the renewing of their minds, and as Christ puts it in John 3: 5 they were born again of the Spirit.

The Jerusalem which is above, is free and is the mother of us all (the mother of all the elect) began when a remnant of Old Covenant Israel were μεταμορφουσθε, metamorphosized, by Jesus Christ through the Spirit. This is the Israel which the New Covenant honors. The Jerusalem which is above, is free, and is the mother of us all is the Israel of God (Galatians 6: 16).

Those in the state of the natural man (I Corinthians 2 14) may have trouble seeing that Paul is using Jerusalem as a metaphor, just as it is used in II Kings 21: 13, "And I will stretch over Jerusalem the line of Samaria, and the plummet of the house of Ahab: and I will wipe Jerusalem as a man wipeth a dish, wiping it, and turning it upside down."

II Kings 21: 13 has an interesting use of metaphor, and it ties into Isaiah 29: 16 and especially into Jeremiah 18: 1-6. For example, the plummet is a metaphor for the Lord's judgment, and turning Jerusalem upside down does not mean the city is literally turned upside down.

Danoh

northwye, you write accusing the Dispy of looking at things from the natural man, all the while WILLFULLY blind to the fact that MOST Dispys on TOL do NOT hold to 1948 as "the fulfillment of prophecy..."

As usual with your expert amatuer kind, you leave one no other recourse but to talk AT you rather than WITH you...

:doh:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Well, first of all, I've NEVER read anything by Scofield or Darby. Never even heard of Darby until I came to TOL and the only thing I heard about Scofield, is the "Scofield Bible," which I never read. So, looks like Nangster is making sweeping generalizations again. I HIGHLY doubt Nangster even knows what Dispensationalists believe? There are also divisions in the Dispensational community. Does she know what these divisions comprise of? The truth be told, she's merely an arrogant and ignorant poster who doesn't know what she's talking about, however, loves to behold what she posts regardless.

I was in a Plymouth Brethren church for the first 7 years of my Christian life, and studied from the Scofield bible, notes and all. PB's are the denomination of Darby and they are hyper-dispensationalists, so I know all about the movement and its various versions of delusion.

It is sad the way you ridicule others and show no interest in actual discussion of the things of God. Quite telling, IMO. :nono:

Danoh

I was in a Plymouth Brethren church for the first 7 years of my Christian life, and studied from the Scofield bible, notes and all. PB's are the denomination of Darby and they are hyper-dispensationalists, so I know all about the movement and its various versions of delusion.

It is sad the way you ridicule others and show no interest in actual discussion of the things of God. Quite telling, IMO. :nono:

Interesting background info, nang.

Just goes to show one does not always know what another might actually be basing their assertions on, of the two or three basic frames of reference each person will tend to base most of their key assertions on.

I'm curious, nang; what do YOU mean by "they are hyper-dispensationalists..."

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

I feel sorry for you, that's more than what you don't feel about yourself, even if you didn't try. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.